Deloitte Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated December 12, 2018
23,917 reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

"Succefully navigating a game of thrones"

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've been fortunate to have had really good opportunities throughout my time at Deloitte. I can confidently say that every project I've worked on offered ample learning opportunities and fascinating subject matter. This may not necessarily be the case for all who join the firm -- it is large and diverse. Having good support and positioning from the start has helped greatly.

Cons

I know full-well that Deloitte can run you through the mill and spit you out downstream tired and drenched in frustration. The likelihood of such a result depends largely on where you've been positioned in the firm and who your immediate partners are.

While the firm extols itself on how flat it is (there are only 6 ranks bottom to top) this increases the internal politics to sometimes byzantine levels. It can feel like a game of thrones as different "kingdoms" within the firm vie for human resources and clients. But this can also enable smaller players more leverage and more options than you might otherwise encounter in more traditional corporate structures.

2. "Great Company"

Former Employee - Staff Auditor in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Staff Auditor in Detroit, MI

I worked at Deloitte full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get out what you put into it

Cons

It's a lot of work

3. "Great Experience"

I worked at Deloitte full-time

Pros

Good network, opportunities, projects, manager, salary

Cons

Can be difficult to change projects

"Solution Manager"

I have been working at Deloitte full-time

Pros

Good company to start with!

Cons

Arrogant Leadership, not everybody is knowledgeable and skilled

5. "Quality is job none"

I have been working at Deloitte full-time

Pros

Decent salary and benefits, and many of the people are nice

Cons

always seems short-staffed, ill-trained employees. In a big hurry to get it done, but less concerned about doing it right the first time. So much wasted time and effort re-doing work that with a bit of care could have been completed on time. Great expectations that the job is your life; long hours, weekends.

Advice to Management

Enforce policies and take quality seriously

"People stay for the promotions, but don't like their jobs"

Current Employee - Federal Consultant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Federal Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pays well. Fantastic social impact and pro-bono consulting work. Smart, driven, passionate people work here and show up every day ready to accomplish whatever's ahead of them, which is inspiring

Cons

Peer competition is terrifyingly ever-present. You are constantly presented with firm initiatives (volunteer roles), that easily count for an extra 15% of your weekly working hours. Then, you're obligated to network to maintain a positive relationship with colleagues and find new projects, which is another 5-15% of your weekly working hours.

All in all, you invest a lot of your time into making people happy, being likable, and striving for promotion, and very little time really reflecting on if the work you do is good, or if you like the person/teammate you've become, your team, your client, your career...

People stay because they like to think that Deloitte is the 'best' at anything it does. They want to lead; both as a firm in the industry, and as career professionals managing projects. A company of this size will be a leader based on magnitude of work, but I don't think our approach is truly innovative, if anything, we reenforce the status quo. Also, if your goal is to get promoted, but you never liked your job to begin with, you probably won't like it better with a higher sense of competition and longer hours.

Advice to Management

Tailor your talent system to encourage creativity in client services, rather than peer competition or inauthentic personalities.
    Reduce utilization expectations, encourage people to take their PTO, and implement more oversight over hours invested into firm initiatives. No one should spend 10+ hours a week on firm initiatives or networking, it is a distraction from well being and client service.

Reduce client service hours, and we'll do better work, be more involved with the firm community, and stay in the company for longer!

7. "Manager"

Pros

Good work culture, Good travel policy

Cons

No worklife balance, hectic projects

8. "Senior Consultant"

I have been working at Deloitte full-time

Pros

Great opportunity to own work and manage others; serves as great training for becoming a manager

Cons

Long hours and high client demands, as is common in the consulting world

Advice to Management

Provide opportunities for consultants and senior consultants to explore more engagements and industries so they can develop their niche earlier on

"Great, but..."

Former Employee - Consultant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at Deloitte full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I was a consultant so this review is based of off that.

If you love traveling and being on the road, this is the job for you. Alternative travel benefit is awesome. Salary is awesome. Working with new people is always great.

Cons

If you aren't a fan of sleeping in a hotel room every night and you like the comfort of your own home, then this job is NOT for you.
    If you like to workout at your own gym, cook your own meals, have your own life... then this job is NOT for you. When you travel and are on the road so much, you don't have a life. You are a workhorse for the company, which is fine., but at a certain point, that gets old and all you want to do is feel like you have some sort of a life outside work.

Advice to Management

Wokr life balance. Allow consultants to work form home more and you will have happier employees.

10. "Business Technology Analyst"

Current Employee - Business Technology Analyst in Harrisburg, PA
    Current Employee - Business Technology Analyst in Harrisburg, PA

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great pay with a low cost of living
    Very collaborative teams, with direct access to senior consultants and partners
    Little Travel

Cons

Not a lot of opportunities to explore new projects
    Little travel