Deloitte Reviews in San Francisco, CA | Glassdoor

1. "Consultant"

Current Employee - Strategy Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Strategy Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Benefits
    Easy to take vacation
    Regular promotion schedule
    Local office community

Cons

Can be hard to find projects outside of tech and life sciences in the Bay Area
    Firm initiatives

Advice to Management

Performance ratings should be solely based on client work

2. "Nice Consulting Firm"

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Challenging work environment with new opportunitiesi

Cons

No life balance most of the time due to work pressure and stress

Advice to Management

Please provide some work life balance to employee during weekends and long weekends ...

3. "Deloitte Consulting"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Overall a positive experience. Amazing learning experience.

Cons

Sometimes the work hours are long and goes into the night

4. "Specialist Master"

Current Employee - Specialist Master in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Specialist Master in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Better client , Good experience and stablity

Cons

Large organization, difficult to navigate and grow

5. "Great environment"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Deloitte full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company was accomodating and treated employees well. Great benefits and I enjoyed working with the people on the team. Chance to work at world class companies while a consultant.

Cons

The travel can be exhausting, as typical week is Monday to Thursday on the road. The miles you earn are a nice bonus if you can put up with the travel

6. "Summer Audit Inter"

Current Intern - Audit Intern in San Francisco, CA
    Current Intern - Audit Intern in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Deloitte as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

This has been the best summer I've had. The people were great, enjoyed the work load. I have never met a better group of people to work with and for.

Cons

Downside was that in the summer its not as busy, wish I could have experienced busy season

7. "Pioneer Intern"

Current Intern - Pioneer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Intern - Pioneer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Deloitte as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Deloitte really invests in the personal development of its Pioneer (freshman) interns and ensures that the national trainings (held in Atlanta and Dallas in my case) promote skills such as leadership, public speaking, networking, and team collaboration.

Cons

There is not much technical knowledge exposure since as a freshman intern not much is expected. However, in the eyes of many, this could certainly be a Pro since you're essentially getting paid to network.

Advice to Management

Although I have nothing but great things to say about this internship, I would advice making it longer than six weeks (its current duration) and paying slightly more.

"overall good place to work"

Current Employee - Analyst in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than a year)

Pros

ownership of your own career

Cons

work life balance needs to improve

Advice to Management

n/a

"Great Opportunities (and Great Challenges) of working at a large complex organization"

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

People - I've worked at Deloitte for 4+ years and have worked with some incredibly smart, hard-working, driven and collaborative individuals. Moreover, there are very few people that I've met who I didn't like or who I think poorly of.

Clients - Work with some of the biggest and most notable companies in the world.

Learning & Development - There are lots of opportunities to learn and develop your skills and your craft. As others have alluded to, Deloitte University is an incredible investment and asset, but more than anything anytime you have to solve a problem or challenge there are lots of resources at your disposal to go and do that. Finally while there are formal learnings and trainings, it ultimately is what you make of it, and because of the resources of a big company if you're really trying to learn and grow your skills you can really do a ton of that here.

Initiative-Driven Culture - If you are someone who takes the initiative you can really go far here. If you want to start something or do something as long as you can make a business case for why you should do it and find people to help you then you can make it happen.

Benefits - I think the benefits here are pretty good. 401K, Health and Wellness Subsidy, Health Plans (multiple options, you choose what's best for you) from what I can gather one of the better paternity/maternity benefits in the U.S. Generous PTO packages (although it can be challenging to use it all if you work in client service) They also have a Leave of Absence Program

Cons

Work-Life Balance - This is not a con of necessarily Deloitte, but rather, the field of management consulting and client service. Depending on your client and project the hours can be long, the travel can be difficult and unrelenting.

Staffing - This is hit or miss, and somewhat depending on your service area and service line, but when it comes down to it you're going to get staffed on either A) things that the Partners and Senior Managers sell to clients or B) whatever is available at any given point in time when you are looking for a gig. Hopefully that aligns with your interest and skillset but it doesn't always happen. Also, some areas can be somewhat stingy about trying to staff you on an engagement that falls outside of the group you in, which somewhat feels like you have no control over the direction of your career, and goes somewhat against their mantra of "you own your career." As such, I would be very thoughtful and careful as you think about what kind of work you want to do.

Politics - Deloitte has all the same kinds of politics that happen at any large complex organization. I've seen people who were supposed to get promoted get it nixed, people who had the green light to transfer to a different group only to get it taken away, people fight over staffing specific people without taking what they want into consideration, and pretty much about anything else you can imagine. This is what happens and it's hard to avoid it in any organization but it definitely exists. Also, since Deloitte is a partnership, partners can kind of do what they want, and as a result, you get these fiefdoms and kingdoms which kind of pop up.

Doing Excellent Client work is not enough - If you want to just do great client work you'll do fine but never really advance. At the end of the day, you not only need to do that, but also do firm development work (proposal work, business development work, recruiting, firm building activities) and those who basically overextend themselves and do the most work are the ones who get ahead. Now, the firm has done more to focus on quality over quantity especially at the more junior levels (attrition became a problem) but at the end of the day it still rewards those who really extend themselves and take on a significant amount of extra work, which obviously cuts into your work-life balance.

Advice to Management

Deloitte has all the benefits and challenges of being a global management consulting firm. Like any company (and especially with a really large one) your mileage may vary, but overall I have had a positive experience here but still filled with plenty of frustrating and maddening moments. I've certainly struggled at times with the work-life balance, feeling of lack of control, and just general issues with being in client service but overall feel like the experiences I've gotten out of this outweigh the negatives.

For management:
    1. Keep thinking about how you are going to compete over the next 1-3-5 years, for both talent and clients
    2. Figure out your recruiting message across consulting within all the service areas.
    3. Do more to really actually create consistency and alignment when you go to market for recruiting and for clients. Its stupid that we have so many different fiefdoms and kingdoms doing the same thing just branded different. Get partners to put aside their pride and do what's best for the company or you're going to face constant rebrands and reorgs.
    4. Do more to identify high performers who are falling through the cracks. This is hard, but it happens, and you lose good talent more than you should because of this.

10. "CONSULTANT"

Current Employee - Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than a year)

Pros

a lot of learning, speed in the promotions, exposure to many different industries

Cons

a lot of work, you have to be detail and number oriented

Showing 330 of 19,507 reviews