Deloitte Senior Consultant Reviews | Glassdoor

Senior Consultant

3.6

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

1. "Great company overall"

Current Employee - Senior Advisory Consultant in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Advisory Consultant in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great on your resume, lots of training, benefits, and flexible working time.

Cons

Low pay, little time for team bonding.

2. "Pretty good"

Current Employee - Advisory Senior Consultant in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Advisory Senior Consultant in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Wide range of opportunities, prestige, room for advancement, leadership generally open to change and responsive to criticism. Certainly no worse than any other large accounting firm, maybe better.

Cons

Salary lags a bit and seems only to rise significantly if you threaten to leave or are brought on as an experienced hire. Despite the wide range of opportunities, it's easy to get stuck on a particular project.

Advice to Management

Reduce turnover by increasing salaries. Student loan repayment assistance wouldn't hurt either.

3. "AML Consultant"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Many opportunities to grow in all areas of AML.

Cons

Long hours, travel, and less than transparent year end review process.

"Great Learning & Career Experience"

Current Employee - ERS Senior Consultant in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - ERS Senior Consultant in McLean, VA

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are an enormous amount of resources at your disposal at Deloitte, from training at Deloitte University, to a huge network of some of the best and brightest in the world. Furthermore, Deloitte's alumni network is extremely far-reaching.

Cons

While they preach "Work Life Balance", there is often a large demand for long work weeks, especially during busy season. This is not unusual for the Big 4, but it seems to burn a lot of people out. From what I saw, a lot of people, myself included, will work there for a handful of years to gain experience then move on to a job with a real work-life balance.

"A decent place to start, but get out early"

Former Employee - Senior Advisory Consultant
    Former Employee - Senior Advisory Consultant

I worked at Deloitte full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Deloitte provides decent experience and exposure to different projects and industries. There are some benefits from projects, such as traveling or working remotely, if you get on the right ones. Sometimes if your project is short-staffed or there are budget cuts, you'll take on more responsibilities that are managerial, which is somewhat exciting if that's what you're looking for. DU is also fun, but gets old after the 8th time.
    What I probably like best about Deloitte is that exit opportunities are nice. As a Big Four employee who has a CPA, I was able to find a job relatively quickly with just 2 years of experience under my belt. I'm sure many others can say the same.

Cons

As an employee of Deloitte Advisory, my home practice had very limited projects, and the culture there became increasingly toxic and hard to stand as the years went on - i.e. when you're not busy, it's the right time to get super involved in business politics. I also experienced stretches of terrible work-life balance, which came from short-staffed projects led by managers that don't really have lives of their own. The biggest red flag is really just looking up at people beyond the Senior Consultant level and thinking, "Wow, I would hate to be any of these people."

Advice to Management

Be respectful to your employees. Check in with them and be considerate of their time. Give them opportunities to do what they actually want to do.

"Great if you want to work a ton and you don't have a family"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

big company, benefits are pretty good like paternity/maternity leave (16 weeks). Lots of options to travel and see the world, albeit those places may be in the middle of nowhere but hey, you can say you've been there!

Cons

Lots of demands on you from firm initiatives to client work. We just went through a restructuring so there is not a lot of clarity regarding who we need to go to for what.

"Toxic"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at Deloitte full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good recruiting experience, even if they lied on just about everything.

Cons

Toxic culture filled with type A personalities who have little depth. For “experienced hires”, they use a lot of consultants from other companies and a deloitters who are so removed from corporate work they are out of touch. Consultants are treated like trained monkeys. Low pay, terrible travel requirements, and tons of Deloitte spin on “how awesome” we are

Advice to Management

Get real

8. "Good"

Current Employee - Senior, Consultant in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Senior, Consultant in Boston, MA

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good Learning
    Takes care of employee
    Great networking opportunities

Cons

Salary is not up to the market standards

Advice to Management

Nothing

9. "Wonderful place to work, learn and grow."

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Deloitte full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great work culture, lots of training opportunities, flexible to switch among projects.

Cons

Salary is just ok, some time long hours work.

"Hierarchical, Top-Down, Weakness-Based, Exclusive and Intolerant Culture"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant - Human Capital in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant - Human Capital in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Prestige of working for a Big Four consulting firm
    -I feel like I am paid fairly , but it's actually quite low compared to what I made before when you consider how many hours I work.
    --> 165k a year, working 4,000 hours of year, comes out to about $41 an hour. Compared to 2,500 hours per year for 140k (the comp for my previous role), which works out to $56 an hour (not to mention the opportunity to have a life outside of work.)

Cons

-Nobody seems to enjoy their work. I once asked a senior manager, "off all the things you've done for Deloitte, what have you enjoyed the most?" Her response was: "I don't even think that way. I just work here for the money." She happened to be talking with me at 10:00 o'clock at night--in between client meetings. Why work so many hours at something you do not enjoy?

-The people in Human Capital do not seem to be excited about their field. Most of them would have preferred to work in another area, but were not skilled enough to get into Strategy or Tech. I joined Human Capital to improve people's lives at work, but the people here are unhappy.

-I had a Principal ridicule me for asking for a reasonable accommodation for a disability.

-I have had several managers ask me to falsify my hours. This makes it hard to reach utilization. On the other hand, if you refuse to lie, it affects your performance rating.

-I have to pay $20-$50 per day, out of pocket, without reimbursement, for the privilege of working from one of Deloitte's offices.

-Experienced hires are not given access to the best projects because staffing is based more on personal networks than skills, qualifications, or interests.

-Despite their branding (which frames the company as strengths-based and inclusive), I have had a senior Principal tell me "we are not a strengths-based culture, we are a hierarchical culture and you will do what you are told."

Advice to Management

Hire another consulting company to fix your culture. Stop falsifying your hours. Measure engagement in a way that holds project leaders and coaches accountable for employee engagement, well-being, and turnover. Think about things other than availability when it comes to staffing projects. Live in accordance with your stated values.