Deloitte Senior Engineer Reviews | Glassdoor

Senior Engineer

3.5

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

1. "Senior Solution Engineer"

Current Employee - Senior Solutions Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Solutions Engineer

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Growth is proportional to the effort and skills level
    Work is recognized by senior leadership

Cons

Highly competitive environment with good skilled resources
    Work load might be a concern in some instances

2. "Good company for young people"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Chicago, IL

I worked at Deloitte full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Many different financial projects and technologies

Cons

Project management is not the strongest part in this company

"Resist their aggressive employment tactics and higher pay, not worth it."

Former Employee - Senior Solutions Engineer in Orlando, FL

I worked at Deloitte full-time (More than a year)

Pros

High pay, good benefits, some freedom, some great colleagues/co-workers.

Cons

Unethical (preach about how ethical they are and make you watch countless CE videos about it) I witnessed my team leader and manager take confidential information directly to other team leads and mangers, totally disregarding the person who bought up the concern. Managers and leads were "clicky", felt like I was back in high school. I guess I was just a bad fit and my project was back at a place I had already worked in the past and didn't care for. I should have my head examined to submitting to the aggressive highering and salary/bonus they threw at me.. My original goal was to be independent consultant, should have stuck to my guns. I ended up rolling off and laying low so I could get out without giving back my bonus. I am better off as an healthcare IT FTE so I can see issues through and make sure the root cause is identified and fixed instead of just patching or dropping issues like Deloitte did for CHI.

Advice to Management

I am not going to pretend to know how to fix your company, I guess you'll just have to keep losing business until you figure it out yourselves.

4. "senior solution engineer"

Current Employee - Senior Solution Engineer in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Solution Engineer in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Deloitte full-time

Pros

Salary and hikes are pretty good. You have to negotiate a good pay during recruitment. Hikes are decent ( four to five percent)

Cons

Not much growth in AMS practice.AMS practitioners are not seen the same as the consulting Colleagues. This affects the morale of the employees

Advice to Management

AMS practitioners are not seen the same as the consulting Colleagues. This affects the morale of the employees. Not much growth in AMS practice

"Good place to work but extremely challenging to get on projects"

Former Employee - Senior Solutions Engineer in Orlando, FL

I worked at Deloitte (Less than a year)

Pros

1. Once you've established yourself there is allot of opportunity for career advancement.

Cons

1. Not much direct support to get on projects.
    2. Often the same people get put on the projects and it is hard for someone coming in to prove themselves.

Advice to Management

Establish a better way to support people coming into the company to allow them to prove themselves.

"Sr. Solution Engineer"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Lake Mary, FL
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Lake Mary, FL

Pros

If you happen to be one of the fortunate individuals who land a project that falls within scope of your skill set and one with management that values work/life balance; then you will most likely be in good shape at Lake Mary's USDC center.

Also, the PTO accrual is not too bad. Campus is in a good location, Lake Mary is very nice.
    Great maternity/paternity leave.

Cons

I have to give a disclaimer.

My experience here was not a good one at all. I am a one of those professionals who has been very aggressive in my career progression. Having worked for both small and fortune 500 companies, I must say, Deloitte was a colossal disappointment.

INTERVIEW:
    Flew me down from out-of-state.
    I prepped for about 7 days for the interview. My position would be Sr. Solution Engineer on the Java service line. I was challenged on the behavioral front, however, the technical questions were pointless. It was basically a resume scan where my technical interviewer was impressed that I had prior teaching experience. We kicked back and talked about a bunch of nothing and I flew back home after spending the weekend enjoying central Florida.
    I heard back in a couple of days that I got the job.

FIRST 4 MONTHS:
    Despite being hired to some project ( I think it was a Navy project), something fell through and I ended up benched.

After working my but off to get where I am, for the first time in my career in years, I was getting paid to show up and complete a compliance check list, and meet people. This was a miserable experience. In this kind of phase, there is very little guidance in the organization, you are a wandering soul wondering how long is someone going to pay you for this kind of "work".

PROJECT:
    After I couldn't take it anymore, I reached out to my recruiter and asked her what was the deal with putting a senior engineer on the bench. I told her I was about ready to send out resumes. She made some moves and suddenly I get pinged by my service line leader (AMS) to come to his office. He was not the most pleasant of individuals, and rudely starts asking me if I know all the tech skills on this random requisition document. I was familiar with all of the non-proprietary skills (Java, Eclipse, PL/SQL, Maven/Ant ect.....). I had an internal interview on the phone with about 6 or 7 people and got the job. (Go figure, I thought I ALREADY had a job right ?). He PRESSURED ME to commit from one to two years on the project, which already had me throwing up a red flag.....

I get on the project and I end up being bored out of my mind. The team was all about SAP. I was a minority due to both my race as well as Java professional. So much emphasis was put on learning SAP that I was wondering why they didn't hire an SAP specialist who knew a little bit of Oracle DB and a tad bit of Java. But anyway, as I soon would learn, the role saved me from basically getting canned.

PROJECT CULTURE:
    Almost my entire team was of Indian descent. Now, I love ALL PEOPLE. But it is ridiculous how saturated with Indian culture the USDC firm is. I was encouraged to participate in Indian religious activity, despite the fact that I am an avid believer in Christ. It was to the point where the assumption was that I would just go with the flow of my team's religious activities and celebrations. I was asked to leave private rooms so that Muslims could pray. Really ?!!??

On MULTIPLE occasions I've had to be rude to one particular colleague for trying to get me to assist with some religious holiday activity while I had work to do.

I later found out, that before I joined, another guy of my same race quit for the same reasons. Some complaints about the racial component seemed to explain why I was even considered for the position in the first place.

BRICK WALL:
    I reached out to my so-called "resource manager" who basically confirmed that I had ZERO options. I told her that Deloitte had become my first professional "Brick Wall" and she assured me that to leave the project would be synonymous with leaving the firm. So in a nutshell, I was stuck and hence, began my interview process outside the firm.

BENEFITS:
    NO sick time......
    1/4 on the dollar 401(k) matching

NO REGRETS:
    A month after leaving, they canned around 50 practitioners. This was further confirmation that I made the right move....

Advice to Management

Management at Lake Mary USDC needs to revitalize culture, client procurement and employee relations. The business model leaves the practitioner almost ALWAYS holding the short end of the stick. Here is precisely what I mean:

A "benched" employee is nothing more than jobless professional with a salary that is bound to be temporary if he or she cannot find work. I was fortunate enough to land a role that was at BEST a poor fit.

MY ADVICE:
    TRUST YOUR PRACTITIONERS or don't hire them. Advocate for their ability to do the work to the clients. Don't let quality employees rot on the bench while awaiting the inevitable doomsday of being let go.

MY ADVICE:
    Don't let the culture get so out of hand that it becomes an HR nightmare. The ONLY reason I didn't make this issue bigger than I did is because I knew the company wouldn't have been a good fit for me either way, but I cannot believe this kind of work environment exists in America. The DIWALI (Indian Holiday) service on the second floor might as well have been a Church service with an alter call. I watched MANY people walk out during the prayer, because we simply DON'T believe in what they believe in..... This is utterly reprehensible! Everyone is entitled to their own belief system, however, these beliefs shouldn't be forced upon anyone in their working environment.

7. "Great benefits, generally happy"

Current Employee - Senior Architect, Engineering in Federal Way, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Architect, Engineering in Federal Way, WA

I have been working at Deloitte (More than a year)

Pros

Studios model is great. No travel, all the perks

Cons

wrangling multiple projects, not glamorous tech, dealing with IT to get anything done.

Advice to Management

open up your Digital Divisions to work with current technology

8. "Senior Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent opportunity for growth, good for self driven people.

Cons

Not a good fit for people who don't network themselves and are not self driven

9. "Senior Solution Engineer"

Current Employee - Senior Solution Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Solution Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Deloitte (Less than a year)

Pros

Good benefits and nice place to work

Cons

Organization model could be sometimes confusing for the beginners, but once you figure it out, it will be a good place to work

10. "Fake company"

Current Employee - Senior Solution Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Solution Engineer

Pros

There are no pros for this company. Possibly the only pro is the making money while knowing you are wasting your life supporting corruption.

Cons

Deloitte is a fake company. They bribe the state governments officers/commissioners and get the project.This is completely true as far as technology projects are concerned. They work on 15 year old technology and get 10 year maintenance projects in which they keep fixing the system. The senior managers/directors of this company have vested interests in recruiting/consulting firms through which they hire contractors and make tons of money.
    No one here really cares about the end product , not Deloitte managers and not the clients , which are state governments.
    Most of the Deloitte senior managers are guys who lost their youth , doing mindless work and spending 12 hours a day pleasing their boss. They in return expect the same from their juniors. Deloitte is a perfect case study of why an open capitalistically system breeds competition and improves the end product , results in innovation while corruption makes an organization rotten. Deloitte is completely rotten. There is no scope for any improvement.

Advice to Management

I do not have any advice to the management. I hope the federal government opens an inquiry at how state governments are spending the money on IT infrastructure. They should also look at the state of the benefit management systems : SNAP , TANF , EBT , who created such bad systems , and why the state governments are continuing to work with those IT firms.