Deloitte Software Engineer Reviews | Glassdoor

Software Engineer

3.6

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. Featured Review

"Great company to work with, if you like traveling !!"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Lake Mary, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Lake Mary, FL

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A good place to work on.

Cons

A lot of traveling, you need to sacrifice the personal life in traveling.

Advice to Management

Doing great !!

2. "Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Deloitte is a great place to get your career started. You have tons of opportunity to learn from multiple projects.

Cons

I don't have any cons that are unique to Deloitte.

Advice to Management

None. Management is fair and they do listen

3. "Good company"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Plano, TX

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice place to work, Great growth opportunities

Cons

little overtime schedules. Work life balance is difficult

4. "Nothing Pros here"

Former Contractor - Software Engineer in Salem, OR
    Former Contractor - Software Engineer in Salem, OR

I worked at Deloitte as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

None...If you hate your life join Deloitte They will make sure you hate it more..

Cons

No work life balance at all.. there are some days I worked for more than 12 hours and during weekends as well and I didn't get paid..Everything is con here..I can't even think of Pros

Advice to Management

Please please have some respect towards contractors

5. "Good company for young people"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Chicago, IL

I worked at Deloitte full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Many different financial projects and technologies

Cons

Project management is not the strongest part in this company

6. "Dead end employment in a chaotic environment"

Former Contractor - Senior Software Engineer in Camp Hill, PA
    Former Contractor - Senior Software Engineer in Camp Hill, PA

I worked at Deloitte as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

They're hire anyone off the street

Cons

Poor management if you can identify a manager, Poor salary, High turnover, Unorganized

Advice to Management

If you can identify management, they won't listen anyway. The rule with an incompetent iron fist.

7. "Software Engineer"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I worked at Deloitte full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Wide variety of projects to work on
    - Great engineering community to learn from

Cons

- Finding things to do during the gaps between projects

"Software Engineer"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

It is a good place to start your career

Cons

Bad culture, bad software quality

9. "Software test engineer"

Former Contractor - Software Test Engineer in Austin, TX
    Former Contractor - Software Test Engineer in Austin, TX

I worked at Deloitte as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

I heard Deloitte is good company before, and I still believe that! But not located in Austin 1609 center creek park one!

Cons

They layoff 30 people at once for just because of change from waterfalls to agile! Poor management! They don't value employees, because of their status!

Advice to Management

People work harder if company value them!

"Sr. Solution Engineer"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Lake Mary, FL
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Lake Mary, FL

Pros

If you happen to be one of the fortunate individuals who land a project that falls within scope of your skill set and one with management that values work/life balance; then you will most likely be in good shape at Lake Mary's USDC center.

Also, the PTO accrual is not too bad. Campus is in a good location, Lake Mary is very nice.
    Great maternity/paternity leave.

Cons

I have to give a disclaimer.

My experience here was not a good one at all. I am a one of those professionals who has been very aggressive in my career progression. Having worked for both small and fortune 500 companies, I must say, Deloitte was a colossal disappointment.

INTERVIEW:
    Flew me down from out-of-state.
    I prepped for about 7 days for the interview. My position would be Sr. Solution Engineer on the Java service line. I was challenged on the behavioral front, however, the technical questions were pointless. It was basically a resume scan where my technical interviewer was impressed that I had prior teaching experience. We kicked back and talked about a bunch of nothing and I flew back home after spending the weekend enjoying central Florida.
    I heard back in a couple of days that I got the job.

FIRST 4 MONTHS:
    Despite being hired to some project ( I think it was a Navy project), something fell through and I ended up benched.

After working my but off to get where I am, for the first time in my career in years, I was getting paid to show up and complete a compliance check list, and meet people. This was a miserable experience. In this kind of phase, there is very little guidance in the organization, you are a wandering soul wondering how long is someone going to pay you for this kind of "work".

PROJECT:
    After I couldn't take it anymore, I reached out to my recruiter and asked her what was the deal with putting a senior engineer on the bench. I told her I was about ready to send out resumes. She made some moves and suddenly I get pinged by my service line leader (AMS) to come to his office. He was not the most pleasant of individuals, and rudely starts asking me if I know all the tech skills on this random requisition document. I was familiar with all of the non-proprietary skills (Java, Eclipse, PL/SQL, Maven/Ant ect.....). I had an internal interview on the phone with about 6 or 7 people and got the job. (Go figure, I thought I ALREADY had a job right ?). He PRESSURED ME to commit from one to two years on the project, which already had me throwing up a red flag.....

I get on the project and I end up being bored out of my mind. The team was all about SAP. I was a minority due to both my race as well as Java professional. So much emphasis was put on learning SAP that I was wondering why they didn't hire an SAP specialist who knew a little bit of Oracle DB and a tad bit of Java. But anyway, as I soon would learn, the role saved me from basically getting canned.

PROJECT CULTURE:
    Almost my entire team was of Indian descent. Now, I love ALL PEOPLE. But it is ridiculous how saturated with Indian culture the USDC firm is. I was encouraged to participate in Indian religious activity, despite the fact that I am an avid believer in Christ. It was to the point where the assumption was that I would just go with the flow of my team's religious activities and celebrations. I was asked to leave private rooms so that Muslims could pray. Really ?!!??

On MULTIPLE occasions I've had to be rude to one particular colleague for trying to get me to assist with some religious holiday activity while I had work to do.

I later found out, that before I joined, another guy of my same race quit for the same reasons. Some complaints about the racial component seemed to explain why I was even considered for the position in the first place.

BRICK WALL:
    I reached out to my so-called "resource manager" who basically confirmed that I had ZERO options. I told her that Deloitte had become my first professional "Brick Wall" and she assured me that to leave the project would be synonymous with leaving the firm. So in a nutshell, I was stuck and hence, began my interview process outside the firm.

BENEFITS:
    NO sick time......
    1/4 on the dollar 401(k) matching

NO REGRETS:
    A month after leaving, they canned around 50 practitioners. This was further confirmation that I made the right move....

Advice to Management

Management at Lake Mary USDC needs to revitalize culture, client procurement and employee relations. The business model leaves the practitioner almost ALWAYS holding the short end of the stick. Here is precisely what I mean:

A "benched" employee is nothing more than jobless professional with a salary that is bound to be temporary if he or she cannot find work. I was fortunate enough to land a role that was at BEST a poor fit.

MY ADVICE:
    TRUST YOUR PRACTITIONERS or don't hire them. Advocate for their ability to do the work to the clients. Don't let quality employees rot on the bench while awaiting the inevitable doomsday of being let go.

MY ADVICE:
    Don't let the culture get so out of hand that it becomes an HR nightmare. The ONLY reason I didn't make this issue bigger than I did is because I knew the company wouldn't have been a good fit for me either way, but I cannot believe this kind of work environment exists in America. The DIWALI (Indian Holiday) service on the second floor might as well have been a Church service with an alter call. I watched MANY people walk out during the prayer, because we simply DON'T believe in what they believe in..... This is utterly reprehensible! Everyone is entitled to their own belief system, however, these beliefs shouldn't be forced upon anyone in their working environment.