Deloitte Reviews in United Kingdom | Glassdoor

2.0
Deloitte Senior Partner and Chief Executive David Sproul
David Sproul

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great work life balance across the board (in 1182 reviews)

• fantastic place to start / grow your career (in 415 reviews)

1. "A few flaws"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A large company with a huge pool of experienced staff available should you need to call on them

Cons

Very uncoordinated with poor communication when being inducted. Left to your own devices to figure things out which whilst being the "consultancy" way does not fit certain organisational structures within Deloitte as a whole.

Advice to Management

Listen to your staff instead of constantly going on jollies thinking that all is good with the world.

"Very unfair internal competition"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have been working in Deloitte Jersey and the main advantage is the beach, the climate and absence of the commute, characteristic for the Island

Cons

Very unfair environment when it comes to the remuneration and the promotions, lack of emphasis at the audit quality - the people who can "wrap up" the things fast are rewarded and the ones who demonstrate more audit specific characteristics are discouraged and there is a glass ceiling for them to get promoted.

Advice to Management

The current culture of just delivering on the work, no matter the quality, cannot last long. You should measure the real quality and not just how the work looks.

"Good to have on your CV but don't stay here"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Deloitte (Less than a year)

Pros

Deloitte is a brand and has a great reputation - it is a foot in the door into whatever area you want to specialize in and into career wise.

Cons

Deloitte is a consultancy practice and so naturally this means going out onto client site and projects, however you will not always be given the opportunity as people may get picked over you or resourcing requirements are strained. The opportunity to grow yourself in terms of SME, project management and other career skills is very limited. You are seen as a number and a rate card and that's pretty much it. Once in a while you will find a gem of a manager who will invest time and knowledge into you, but it is very rare. Most of the time when you go onto project you're thrown into tasks without proper explanation or teaching because management want it done as quickly as possible to get the best margins for the client, and a lot of the work is very monotonous and lacks any thinking on your part. Another thing which I know many people have experienced (from assistant manager grade down to associate), is senior staff blaming junior staff for errors so that they're reputation/brand doesn't get tainted, and the junior staff's career can be very negatively impacted. I know people who've moved team because of this, when really senior management actually messed up on project themselves or gave a task that was too complex for junior staff, didn't explain clearly or didn't check the work. There is a lot of bs and internal politics, and they market themselves as being all about team work and creativity but it is completely not true. Most people are out for themselves and their own career, and I've seen many situations where people have been thrown under the bus. You constantly have to watch your back. It's also quite well known that they under-pay, and that they have a high staff turnover rate but they supplement this with new grads just coming in as cannon fodder.

Advice to Management

Have more oversight.

4. "Deloitte"

Former Employee - Audit Senior Manager in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Audit Senior Manager in London, England (UK)

Pros

Working with good and young people, challenging work environment, opportunity to grow

Cons

It is all about equity partner profit, ruthless people, profit trumps anything else at the end.

Advice to Management

Think more holistically about your model. Shafting people below to get extra profit for what is already overpaid equity partners can only be a short-term strategy

5. "NEVER, EVER BE UNWELL!!!"

Former Contractor - Data Gatherer in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Former Contractor - Data Gatherer in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I worked at Deloitte as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

None - it's a sweatshop!

Cons

Had to go for surgery and told my
    Job would not be kept open for me!
    Unrealistic targets, unpaid overtime to meet them, which I met but it didn't help me keep my job!

Advice to Management

Have some compassion! We are human beings, NOT just numbers!!! I have a mortgage and bills and if I wanted to leave, you expected 4 weeks notice, you afforded me THREE DAYS NOTICE!

6. "London Assurance"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in London, England (UK)

Pros

Ability to meet and work with lot of people

Cons

95% of the people you meet are complete chumps

Partners have 0 interest in your development

Work is boring

Advice to Management

Pay more

7. "Senior associate"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Training work life balance benefits

Cons

Hard to progress when employed

"Risk Analytics toxic culture"

Current Employee - Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are a lot of smart people
    There is a good variety of projects and clients
    Good cross service line interaction

Cons

Risk Analytics group is an unhealthy culture. Staff is more focused on year end reviews and requesting formal feedback from clients rather than delivering quality service. Sr Managers/Directors are more interested in billing clients as much as possible first and making up work to do second adding limited value to client, all for year end reviews. Which is unethical. A lot of internal politics. People appear more interested in doing stuff just to say they did it, rather than assessing potential value add.

People take title/grade very seriously here

Advice to Management

Adjust cultural priorities

"Old fashioned macho and discriminatory"

Current Employee - Manager in Manchester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Manager in Manchester, England (UK)

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Allows a degree of autonomy

Cons

Macho arrogance applauded. Ridiculous promotion processes force competition and back stabbing. Ageism and sexism rife. Rewards selling and ignores ability. Flawed brief they can deliver as well as advise. Insane growth targets.

Advice to Management

Take a long hard look at yourselves and shed the 80s attitudes before you trip up.

10. "Anonnymous"

Former Employee - Trainee in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Trainee in London, England (UK)

I worked at Deloitte full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There was good fun amongst the intake when we all started. It was good to have many people of a similar age and mindset to start out.

Cons

Not great to work with after a while, morale took a dive. The salary was quite low as well, even allowing for study leave and exams being paid for.

Advice to Management

Allow people a better work life balance, the hours were initially only bad towards deadline season, but then those hours grew to fill most of the year.

Showing 62 of 18,671 reviews