Deloitte Reviews in United States | Glassdoor

3.9

5,891 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Very few - you have to manage your work/life balance but the firm supports you well for that if you are a good employee" (in 3895 reviews)

• "busy season has no work life balance" (in 803 reviews)

1. "This place has been amazing!"

Current Employee - Senior Specialist in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Specialist in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people have been amazing! Very talented and smart and very diverse. The diversity adds another dimension that is critical.

Cons

Making sure you are billable

Advice to Management

Keep it up

"Great Place to start your career - Carefully read the cons"

Former Employee - AMS Associate in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - AMS Associate in Boston, MA

I worked at Deloitte full-time (More than a year)

Pros

These folks know exactly what they are doing. They set high standards, and consistently deliver.
    Their project expectations and planning is excellent. The top level management folks are extremely smart and have a great sense of vision and planning. If you go to company social events (which are very frequent by the way), it is quite easy to have conversations with upper management people (Partners).

Deloitte's hiring pattern is very consistent. For the young starters, they hire smart, well spoken, and subtly aggressive candidates. They have excellent training and knowledge management. They have a well oiled and empowered HR and Tech Support group. Things get done pretty fast.

Their paid time off program is really great, and pretty straight forward. No messing about.

They have a big social responsibility program that encourages volunteering. It also presents a great opportunity for youngsters to take event organizing responsibilities. This can be very very useful. Once, I volunteered for an event where we painted rooms for an orphanage center. There was a young guy who did the organizing. We were 10-12 people, with 3 senior executives actually doing paintwork. Quite unique.

I have personally seen that Deloitte's top talents tend to start young, spend a 3-4 years, then take a hiatus to pursue a Graduate Degree (typically an MBA). The firm sometimes re-hires these consultants after their MBA with generous financial incentives. They offer much better packages to folks graduating from top universities. Sometimes they can offer huge joining bonuses.

I worked in the IT consulting division.They tend to get top-end projects. On projects, the average age seems pretty low. A lot of 20-somethings, then there are a handful of 30-40 year old people and some senior Management folks.

Beginner salaries can be a bit low. (which is expected. It takes some time to build credibility in the Consulting business)

Overall, a great place to start your professional career. If you pay attention, you will get seasoned very quickly.

Cons

Work-life balance can become poor, especially during tight project timelines (This is expected in the Consulting Business). The employees have a significant amount of "firm-internal" training and knowledge contribution tasks. There are annual goal expectations. It can get tedious if you continuously work on high demand projects.

There is intense competition, especially during targeted promotion/milestone years. There can be some backstabbing. It's part of the experience. It is not as bad as it sounds, and seems manageable.

A lot of times, being young and inexperienced has it's flaws. The company has a simple way of seasoning consultants. They get pushed into high pressure situations, and they learn fast, and quickly start managing their own work. But they tend to be blind towards intricate details, especially in complicated IT product implementations. This has an interesting effect. If someone is able to do the hands-on work, everyone else tries to piggy-back on that person for their actual work. The hands-on guy gets overwhelmed, and others try to use him/her as a key resource.
    -- I personally went through a crunch project, and found a number of people "managing expectations" (piggy backing), while a handful of people actually knew the end-to-end solution and did the hands-on work.
    This created a lot more work and mental anguish than needed. Because of the expressed pressure, the hands-on guys have a hard time building and growing their reputation and subsequent performance evaluation rating. This also affects the project execution timelines.

IMPORTANT: Make sure you thoroughly read through your employment agreement and understand the implications. In recent years, they have started hiring for specific projects ONLY. This falls under a particular "AMS service line". In this case, if your assigned project gets into a problem, you are exposed to the risk of employment termination.
    Their HR and Management are very helpful, and they will try to get you a new project. But there are several constraints like location, your skills, and limited time. I went through this, and it was somewhat unnerving. This was one of the reasons I ended up leaving the company.

Advice to Management

I have high regards for the Senior Management in this company. I think they are the market leaders in the industry, especially with their consistent high standards.

Personally, I think they should strongly encourage some "end-to-end" hands-on responsibility in the IT consulting division. There are very few hands-on guys. I have seen a lot of segregation of duties between people that causes endless heartburn during crunch project timelines.

3. "Great company for those who can differentiate themselves from peers via networking, performance, and self-promotion"

Current Employee - Senior Solution Specialist in Lake Mary, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Solution Specialist in Lake Mary, FL

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Decent salary and bonus for the area. Solid benefits and career growth opportunity. Name brand recognition for alumni.

Cons

Can be high stress and workload can be unbalanced for extended periods of time...both lulls and peaks.

Advice to Management

Improve process of differentiating and recognizing the distinction between high performing employees and high potential employees.

4. "Good place to work, but not many options for support stuff"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of training, nice people, career opportunities within other departments

Cons

Not allowed to work part time or reduce hours in some of the departments

Advice to Management

When you have good staff who are trained and who you can trust, please listen to their personal needs

5. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice people, challenging work, top clients.

Cons

long hours, comp is average

6. "Federal Subcontractor"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in New York, NY
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in New York, NY

I have been working at Deloitte as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

Access to smart mentors and colleagues.

Cons

Experience is largely driven by individual team culture. If you find a great manager, you'll have a great experience.

"Awesome culture!"

Current Employee - Audit Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Audit Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Love the people, flexibility, diversity and leadership examples from the Deloitte CEO, Cathy Engelbert!! Excellent benefits and compensation and the learning curve is astounding!

Cons

The long hours can sometimes be tough.

8. "Audit Manager"

Current Employee - Audit Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Audit Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexibility, quick promotions, more responsibility

Cons

Longer hours, busy season ends later and later each year

9. "Senior Tax Consultant"

Former Employee - Senior Tax Consultant in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Senior Tax Consultant in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Deloitte full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Exposure to various clients and high levels of responsibility at early level! Supportive and fun coworkers and great benefits if you take advantage of them (vacation/health stipend)

Cons

Long hours sometimes extend beyond typical "busy seasons". Really need to make business case if you want to do an additional assignment outside normal client load.

Advice to Management

Spread work more evenly, less emphasis on exceeding hours goal.

"Manager"

Former Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Deloitte full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Amazing group of professionals, both at leadership and staff level, and you can get really good exposure to the most complex issues companies around the world are facing today

Cons

Work life balance is out of the window, senior leadership works 24/7 and expects all to follow suit, there are people who do not know the technical aspects or the core business but just use politics to rise up in ranks, this is really alarming in such an open organization;

Advice to Management

Although I had a wonderful journey, I was really plagued by politics and the way some of the senior level members treat staff members, I do not indulge and support politics at work, no work-life balance, there is a need to watch all the groups closely and how fair are we treating employees from all religion, caste and creed and not just on the survey/training's that happen periodically.

Showing 5,891 of 24,169 reviews