Deloitte Reviews in United States | Glassdoor

3.8

5,602 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work Life Balance goes for a toss (in 3624 reviews)

• no work life balance for the employees (in 750 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great company!"

Current Employee - Solution Engineer in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Solution Engineer in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company to work for! The sky is the limit in terms of career growth potential . You are in charge of your career. Free coffee as well.

Cons

None so far other than 401k can be a lot better.

2. "Senior Tax Consultant"

Current Employee - Senior Tax Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Tax Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great learning experience and training program

Cons

Hard to have work life balance

"Great Place to start your career - Carefully read the cons"

Former Employee - AMS Associate in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - AMS Associate in Boston, MA

I worked at Deloitte full-time (More than a year)

Pros

These folks know exactly what they are doing. They set high standards, and consistently deliver.
    Their project expectations and planning is excellent. The top level management folks are extremely smart and have a great sense of vision and planning. If you go to company social events (which are very frequent by the way), it is quite easy to have conversations with upper management people (Partners).

Deloitte's hiring pattern is very consistent. For the young starters, they hire smart, well spoken, and subtly aggressive candidates. They have excellent training and knowledge management. They have a well oiled and empowered HR and Tech Support group. Things get done pretty fast.

Their paid time off program is really great, and pretty straight forward. No messing about.

They have a big social responsibility program that encourages volunteering. It also presents a great opportunity for youngsters to take event organizing responsibilities. This can be very very useful. Once, I volunteered for an event where we painted rooms for an orphanage center. There was a young guy who did the organizing. We were 10-12 people, with 3 senior executives actually doing paintwork. Quite unique.

I have personally seen that Deloitte's top talents tend to start young, spend a 3-4 years, then take a hiatus to pursue a Graduate Degree (typically an MBA). The firm sometimes re-hires these consultants after their MBA with generous financial incentives. They offer much better packages to folks graduating from top universities. Sometimes they can offer huge joining bonuses.

I worked in the IT consulting division.They tend to get top-end projects. On projects, the average age seems pretty low. A lot of 20-somethings, then there are a handful of 30-40 year old people and some senior Management folks.

Beginner salaries can be a bit low. (which is expected. It takes some time to build credibility in the Consulting business)

Overall, a great place to start your professional career. If you pay attention, you will get seasoned very quickly.

Cons

Work-life balance can become poor, especially during tight project timelines (This is expected in the Consulting Business). The employees have a significant amount of "firm-internal" training and knowledge contribution tasks. There are annual goal expectations. It can get tedious if you continuously work on high demand projects.

There is intense competition, especially during targeted promotion/milestone years. There can be some backstabbing. It's part of the experience. It is not as bad as it sounds, and seems manageable.

A lot of times, being young and inexperienced has it's flaws. The company has a simple way of seasoning consultants. They get pushed into high pressure situations, and they learn fast, and quickly start managing their own work. But they tend to be blind towards intricate details, especially in complicated IT product implementations. This has an interesting effect. If someone is able to do the hands-on work, everyone else tries to piggy-back on that person for their actual work. The hands-on guy gets overwhelmed, and others try to use him/her as a key resource.
    -- I personally went through a crunch project, and found a number of people "managing expectations" (piggy backing), while a handful of people actually knew the end-to-end solution and did the hands-on work.
    This created a lot more work and mental anguish than needed. Because of the expressed pressure, the hands-on guys have a hard time building and growing their reputation and subsequent performance evaluation rating. This also affects the project execution timelines.

IMPORTANT: Make sure you thoroughly read through your employment agreement and understand the implications. In recent years, they have started hiring for specific projects ONLY. This falls under a particular "AMS service line". In this case, if your assigned project gets into a problem, you are exposed to the risk of employment termination.
    Their HR and Management are very helpful, and they will try to get you a new project. But there are several constraints like location, your skills, and limited time. I went through this, and it was somewhat unnerving. This was one of the reasons I ended up leaving the company.

Advice to Management

I have high regards for the Senior Management in this company. I think they are the market leaders in the industry, especially with their consistent high standards.

Personally, I think they should strongly encourage some "end-to-end" hands-on responsibility in the IT consulting division. There are very few hands-on guys. I have seen a lot of segregation of duties between people that causes endless heartburn during crunch project timelines.

4. "Federal Consultant"

Current Employee - Consultant in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits, pay, great coworkers, and a seemingly never ending wealth of knowledge. The managers are usually great, Deloitte seems to really care about you, and you are treated with respect.

Cons

Sometimes there can be long hours and the firm expects you to contribute to pro-bono work on top of your normal hours. Can be a high stress environment (with high reward).

Advice to Management

Rapidly develop a Federal expansion so that consultants are not limited to primarily Washington, DC.

5. "Great company , but you will be your own boss until review audit time"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at Deloitte full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great perks, amazing offices and travel rewards are extraordinary

Cons

You need to sell and you need to be your own boss. Two reviews per year, to make sure you are doing work while under your own supervision

Advice to Management

Less timesheets on the weekly, more flexible structure for hours

6. "internal auditor"

Current Employee - Internal Auditor in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Internal Auditor in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than a year)

Pros

opportunities, diverse environment, flexibility, good benefit

Cons

Random staffing, small group, too much travel

Advice to Management

Pay more attention to entry level and senior staff

7. "Great Place - not a fit for me"

Former Employee - Consultant in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Consultant in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Deloitte full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing people, kind, hard working

Cons

Travel life didn't agree with me

Advice to Management

Set expectations for project assignments on the front end. Very inconsistent between what onboarding and HR said to what you find goes on once you're on board.

8. "Intense experience and learning"

Former Employee - Staff in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Staff in New York, NY

I worked at Deloitte full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

High amount of work which allows you to gain expertise in a short period of time.

Cons

Pressure, short deadlines, seasonal stress routine

9. "Great experience just came in at too low of salary"

Current Employee - Technology Consultant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Technology Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Atmosphere and learning environment. There is always something going on and you’ll never go hungry. The new reorg could help

Cons

If you don’t know how to build a network then you’ll fall behind. Your rating aka future is primarily dependent on your counselor and his/her reputation. Not analytically driven at all until you hit manager

Advice to Management

End the pyramid model and let some young lead.

10. "Great learning experience"

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Deloitte (Less than a year)

Pros

good projects to learn from and interesting experiences

Cons

not a lot of work life balance or freedom

Showing 5,602 of 21,720 reviews