Deloitte Reviews in United States | Glassdoor

United States

3.9

6,244 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Most people look for work life balance which you can find in deloitte" (in 1662 reviews)

• "Good work culture and work life balance" (in 999 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work life balance needs a check" (in 4243 reviews)

• "You will have no work life balance as you are expected to work a minimum of 65 hours some weeks" (in 887 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great company to work with, if you like traveling !!"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Lake Mary, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Lake Mary, FL

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A good place to work on.

Cons

A lot of traveling, you need to sacrifice the personal life in traveling.

Advice to Management

Doing great !!

2. "Great place to work!"

Former Employee - Associate in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Associate in Boston, MA

I worked at Deloitte full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You learn from some of the best people in the industry. It’s challenging but it’s so worth it. You’ll see.

Cons

Long hours, wish I were paid for all the overtime.

Advice to Management

Keep innovating

"Great Place to start your career - Carefully read the cons"

Former Employee - AMS Associate in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - AMS Associate in Boston, MA

I worked at Deloitte full-time (More than a year)

Pros

These folks know exactly what they are doing. They set high standards, and consistently deliver.
    Their project expectations and planning is excellent. The top level management folks are extremely smart and have a great sense of vision and planning. If you go to company social events (which are very frequent by the way), it is quite easy to have conversations with upper management people (Partners).

Deloitte's hiring pattern is very consistent. For the young starters, they hire smart, well spoken, and subtly aggressive candidates. They have excellent training and knowledge management. They have a well oiled and empowered HR and Tech Support group. Things get done pretty fast.

Their paid time off program is really great, and pretty straight forward. No messing about.

They have a big social responsibility program that encourages volunteering. It also presents a great opportunity for youngsters to take event organizing responsibilities. This can be very very useful. Once, I volunteered for an event where we painted rooms for an orphanage center. There was a young guy who did the organizing. We were 10-12 people, with 3 senior executives actually doing paintwork. Quite unique.

I have personally seen that Deloitte's top talents tend to start young, spend a 3-4 years, then take a hiatus to pursue a Graduate Degree (typically an MBA). The firm sometimes re-hires these consultants after their MBA with generous financial incentives. They offer much better packages to folks graduating from top universities. Sometimes they can offer huge joining bonuses.

I worked in the IT consulting division.They tend to get top-end projects. On projects, the average age seems pretty low. A lot of 20-somethings, then there are a handful of 30-40 year old people and some senior Management folks.

Beginner salaries can be a bit low. (which is expected. It takes some time to build credibility in the Consulting business)

Overall, a great place to start your professional career. If you pay attention, you will get seasoned very quickly.

Cons

Work-life balance can become poor, especially during tight project timelines (This is expected in the Consulting Business). The employees have a significant amount of "firm-internal" training and knowledge contribution tasks. There are annual goal expectations. It can get tedious if you continuously work on high demand projects.

There is intense competition, especially during targeted promotion/milestone years. There can be some backstabbing. It's part of the experience. It is not as bad as it sounds, and seems manageable.

A lot of times, being young and inexperienced has it's flaws. The company has a simple way of seasoning consultants. They get pushed into high pressure situations, and they learn fast, and quickly start managing their own work. But they tend to be blind towards intricate details, especially in complicated IT product implementations. This has an interesting effect. If someone is able to do the hands-on work, everyone else tries to piggy-back on that person for their actual work. The hands-on guy gets overwhelmed, and others try to use him/her as a key resource.
    -- I personally went through a crunch project, and found a number of people "managing expectations" (piggy backing), while a handful of people actually knew the end-to-end solution and did the hands-on work.
    This created a lot more work and mental anguish than needed. Because of the expressed pressure, the hands-on guys have a hard time building and growing their reputation and subsequent performance evaluation rating. This also affects the project execution timelines.

IMPORTANT: Make sure you thoroughly read through your employment agreement and understand the implications. In recent years, they have started hiring for specific projects ONLY. This falls under a particular "AMS service line". In this case, if your assigned project gets into a problem, you are exposed to the risk of employment termination.
    Their HR and Management are very helpful, and they will try to get you a new project. But there are several constraints like location, your skills, and limited time. I went through this, and it was somewhat unnerving. This was one of the reasons I ended up leaving the company.

Advice to Management

I have high regards for the Senior Management in this company. I think they are the market leaders in the industry, especially with their consistent high standards.

Personally, I think they should strongly encourage some "end-to-end" hands-on responsibility in the IT consulting division. There are very few hands-on guys. I have seen a lot of segregation of duties between people that causes endless heartburn during crunch project timelines.

"Demanding"

Former Employee - IT Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - IT Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Deloitte full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits, good people, pay is good.

Cons

Micro managing, very demanding, overwork everyone.

5. "Good Company to work for"

Current Employee - Manager in Hyder, AK
    Current Employee - Manager in Hyder, AK

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Salary
    Vibrant Culture
    Scope to learn
    Work from home

Cons

Erratic working hours
    Work pressure
    No definite planning

Advice to Management

NA

6. "Amazing talent, typical big firm issues"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Best talent, compelling thought leadership, incredible resume builder

Cons

Weak middle management tier, limited value prop for giving so many discretionary hours, terrible and broken performance management process

7. "Great place to learn and grow"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Technical training, opportunities and benefitis

Cons

Cog in the world, limited work life balance. Road warrior

8. "Deloitte"

Former Employee - Marketing Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Marketing Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Deloitte full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible work schedule. Great Benefits

Cons

Bonus structure isn’t beneficial to most.

Advice to Management

Rethinking bonus structure to apply to senior managers across the firm

9. "Public Accounting"

Former Employee - Consultant in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Consultant in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Deloitte full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You get exposure to all sorts of technology platforms and Fortune 500 companies

Cons

But you are going to work a lot of hours

10. "Good place to start career"

Current Employee - Senior in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior in New York, NY

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Network of people you will meet

Cons

The pay is not great, I believe PWC and KPMG pay more

Showing 6,244 of 27,555 reviews