Deloitte Reviews in Washington, DC | Glassdoor

Washington, DC Area

3.9

1,093 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Most people look for work life balance which you can find in deloitte" (in 1662 reviews)

• "Good work culture and work life balance" (in 999 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work life balance needs a check" (in 4243 reviews)

• "You will have no work life balance as you are expected to work a minimum of 65 hours some weeks" (in 887 reviews)

1. "Deloitte Federal - fantastic leadership"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rosslyn, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rosslyn, VA

I worked at Deloitte full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Deloitte's federal practice has the best leadership I've seen in the federal space. What is inspiring about how they operate is providing stretch opportunities, and enabling more junior consultants to get in front of clients, attend events, learn, grow. The top leader is a fan of getting out of the way and letting his team shine, a huge demonstration of his confidence. The firm is well organized around federal contracting and is attracting some of the brightest newcomers.

Cons

Very large federal contractor so easy to get lost if you do not find the right partner sponsors

Advice to Management

Invest in your teams - not only top performers but also high potentials (and be thorough/don't miss any). Many folks that have great talent easily get lost only because they don't have a sponsor.

2. "It is what you make of it"

Current Employee - Project Delivery Manager in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Project Delivery Manager in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good PTO, flexible about working from home

Cons

No bench time, hard to advance, have to leave and come back to get promoted

"Politics"

Former Employee - Technology Risk Consultant in Rosslyn, VA
    Former Employee - Technology Risk Consultant in Rosslyn, VA

I worked at Deloitte full-time (More than a year)

Pros

prestige - good opportunities after leaving Deloitte; you will have soft skills
    training - how to be a consultant, present, lead meetings, etc...

Cons

favouritism; it doesn't matter if you work hard, it only matters if people like you; the work was boring and not technically challenging; waste of time

Advice to Management

change your values - quality matters, not just people skills

4. "Great"

Former Contractor - Manager in Fairfax, VA
    Former Contractor - Manager in Fairfax, VA

I worked at Deloitte as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Culture and human resources are great

Cons

Nothing to complain or write about

"Not good for experienced hires"

Former Employee - Specialist Senior in Rosslyn, VA
    Former Employee - Specialist Senior in Rosslyn, VA

I worked at Deloitte full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Deloitte looks great on your resume when you decide to leave. A lot of your coworkers will be bright and ambitious and if you decide to drink the Kool-Aid and make a career of it, there's certainly good money and a lot of resources -- great parental leave, paying for graduate degrees for selected candidates, etc.

Cons

Deloitte's strategy for experienced hires seems to be 'give them a major demotion in terms of responsibility, put them on a project that's not related to their background, and wait for them to leave.' I had experience with consulting an internal labor markets before and I'd never seen a system as dehumanizing and uncoordinated as this. Additionally, and I assume this is because Deloitte bases what level they bring you in part based on your current salary, I saw a lot of mid-career women who had kids being brought in at very junior levels, but very few men. The lack of flexibility in various ways is also particularly tough if you have small kids. On top of your client work/utilization expectations, there's the expectation that you'll be going to networking events and doing PRD. That took me away from my family without building skills for me that were useful outside of Deloitte. In general, Deloitte is very geared at getting you to do things which are useful for Deloitte and possibly useful for your career while you're at Deloitte, but not useful at all if you leave, which you'll probably do within a few years of joining, anyway.

Advice to Management

It's easier to find another job than it is to roll off of your project and get onto a project doing what you want to do, even when Deloitte has a lot of work in that area. That's a problem.

6. "Big company that let's you own your career"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Provides enough structure so you feel supported but not too much structure where you feel stuck.
    Work with some of the smartest and most driven people in the market.
    The firm is big on mentorship, which is good for development.
    Lots of perks in a big, private company.
    Has work with clients in almost every sector, public and private, so lots of opportunities to try different things.

Cons

Compliance can be burdensome - training, performance metrics, etc.
    Compensation - if you stay at the firm for a long time, you will fall behind in compensation, even if you get high performance evaluations.
    There are expectations to contribute to the firm outside of just project work; sometimes these "firm activities" cause lots of extra work without much apparent value-add.

"It was the best and the worst of times from an experienced hire manager"

Current Employee - Manager in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Manager in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Based on the scatter plot, Deloitte is at the top. Like from the moment you start, til even last week(2 yrs later), Deloitte consultants carry themselves like they are the best. As an experienced Manager hire with extensive tech experience, I found the job rather unexciting. I made many positive contributions and did well with my clients. Also, In all honesty, I (you) can do whatever you want at Deloitte if you are positively contributing to utilization. By whatever you want, I mean vacation, training, set your schedule, meet up and interact with whoever you want, eat & drink with who you want. Overall Deloitte is welcoming with a bit ( maybe a lot ) of “what can you do for me.” If you can positively contribute, it will keep you in the average category at mgr level. It takes a LOT more to get to the next Level. That takes a game plan, luck, hard work and clarity of how you transform yourself Deloitte way.

Cons

For new hires (first 1-2 yrs), what Deloitte really wants is a capable doer who is happy in a supporting role. Don’t even think about getting overt credit or shining above the status quo. That is definitely a deadly sin, politically. You might want to know why would you expect that? Most of those hired have been high performers and are used to getting credit due. I thought that coming in and making all metrics would be considered success. Well for many,no. Because more than 50% of the current staff is doing just fair, they will not tolerate “outsiders” shining. Or maybe the existing type A+ population just doesn’t want to make room for you? Back stabbing and active undermining will show up every where. The key here is - when am I no longer an “outsider?” The answer is when you have the clear support of 2 -3 PPMDs. Or 1 extremely powerful PPMD. While I feel my time at Deloitte is valuable, Deloitte is extremely complex and takes many. many relationships to continue upward career. Or it takes a very narrow path with extreme loyalty.

Advice to Management

Maybe give a bit of a buy in ratings and expectations to new Mgr hires before you start the hunger games. Make integrating new hires at same level an objective. It’s interesting that someone can make a BTA successful but not an experienced hire? Maybe it’s the incentives being given.

8. "Solid Company"

Current Employee - Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Highly intelligent people
    Terrific opportunities to move around
    Company will invest in you as you invest in them

Cons

Disaggregated structure means your experience will be highly project dependent
    In some places, significant leadership overhead distracts from actually accomplishing things

Advice to Management

Be an enabler, not overhead

"Great broad experience"

Current Employee - Federal Technology Consultant in Rosslyn, VA
    Current Employee - Federal Technology Consultant in Rosslyn, VA

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexibility, predictability, working from home, good client, down-to-earth leadership, positive working environment, always changing work environment

Cons

Work is dependent on federal approval, which can be slow at times

10. "Terrible place, bad people"

Current Employee - Programmer Analyst in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Programmer Analyst in Washington, DC

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Not really anything nice to say. Corporate, self-serving.

Cons

Can't say anything kind. Horrible pay, horrible place, horrible culture

Showing 1,093 of 27,518 reviews