Deloitte Reviews in Washington, DC | Glassdoor

Washington, DC Area

3.9

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

"A company where you can map your own career"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I was hesitant to join Deloitte as an experienced hire, and as a single parent with children, having read reviews from where long hours, and travel were frequent. The opportunity to work in the federal work space and an interesting project convinced me to join, and of course, the Deloitte brand. Federal consulting does not require as much travel, and I am fortunate to be in projects that are local. You have the opportunity to work with amazing federal agencies and smart and wonderful colleagues in Deloitte. There are managers or colleagues that are sub-par, micro managers or terrible to work with, but that is par for the course in a large management consulting firm. But if you're in a good project, stick with it. What I enjoy most is the opportunity to do other things than your day-to-day project work - volunteer, train, mentor, make an impact which all contribute to one's career success at the firm. I have been here 3 years now, and I honestly did not expect to stay or want to stay, but so far, my tenure has kept me engaged and allowed me to expand my skills in my own terms. The company walks the walk and talks the talk on diversity and gender equality, the company culture in that is admirable.

Cons

I experienced an unfortunate incident during a training that caused me to complain to upper management, but without success. As all large management consulting firms, there will be jerks and people who is the epitome of the "stab your back" consultant, I have met them and maneuvered myself out of projects that let me work with them. Sadly, I am not naive to think they will be "found out" or forced out as these kinds of people usually are ruthless enough to generate revenue for the company, and at the end of the day, the company values people who brings in revenue (what company doesn't?). It is 1 step better from some companies in that no racial/gender harassment is tolerated.

Advice to Management

Do not punish employees for low utilization if caused by contracts suddenly ending without prior notice.

2. "A great place to start your career"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A place that fosters employees relationships and equips you with skills to succeed in the workplace, competitive salaries and benefits.

Cons

Performance is rarely rewarded, everyone is doing great so the overall rating averages are high, so only favored employees get to the next level of pay or promotions. Relationships matter more than performance.

Advice to Management

Overhaul the permanence rating process. It’s purely driven by team leads opinions, which is subjective and purely depends on the nature of the lead and if they’re rating employees honestly. Example: most employees do well, so they get a 5 star rating even when they don’t do a 5 star performance from their leads, with the exception of a few honest reviewers who might give a less that 5 star rating one time, resulting on a drop in employees overall rating so they stand out against all the others who are getting 5/5 every time, resulting in not being rewarded.

3. "Great perks, over-emphasis on corporate life instead of project work"

Current Employee - Senior Project Delivery Analyst in Rosslyn, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Project Delivery Analyst in Rosslyn, VA

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Really like the company, it's perks, reward structures, incentives, etc.

Cons

Poor work/life balance, overemphasis on corporate life rather than technical project work

Advice to Management

Encourage employees who prefer technical skills over networking/corporate-life skills

4. "Consultant"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than a year)

Pros

the People make it easier to work through bad days

Cons

the bureaucracy of a big firm

Advice to Management

Listen to your staff. Promote from within. Help staff with growth opportunities. Pay us all equally based on merit and experience.

5. "Federal Consulting"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant, Federal in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant, Federal in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

good work-life balance, consistent work. There used to be a big push to do a LOT of internal work, but that has scaled back over the years

Cons

Federal work is mostly long-term contracts, the ability to learn new skills is lower than the commercial side

6. "Good Stepping Stone; Too much politics"

Current Employee - Product Manager in Rosslyn, VA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Rosslyn, VA

I have been working at Deloitte full-time

Pros

Good for career development. Very smart coworkers. Most projects have flexible hours (but not all)

Cons

Politics. Need to play the game to be recognized. Major favoritism amongst management. Work can be boring and dull.

Advice to Management

Culture is not a happy hour. Culture is how you treat people in the office during work hours.

7. "Good company"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Fair compensation , ample opportunity. Diversity of workforce. Very large, private partnership creating opportunity to do what's right. Extensive number of clients.

Cons

Work very hard in a large firm; can get lost in the shuffle. Has a very big feel including many internal processes that get in the way of taking care of people.

Advice to Management

Remember your people. Not everyone brags about what they are doing or even fights to get face time. Take the effort to ensure everyone is recognized for what they do and is supported in their efforts.

8. "Great People, Great Company"

Former Employee - Audit Senior Associate in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Audit Senior Associate in Washington, DC

I worked at Deloitte full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I really enjoyed the people that I worked with and I truly believe that Deloitte is willing to invest in its people.

Cons

I was on the audit side, and when there are deadlines to meet, the hours can go up. I do think they are trying to create a better work life balance during those times, but it's a work in progress.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and remember that changes really start from the top down.

"Federal Consultant"

Current Employee - Federal Consultant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Federal Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

great place to start a career

Cons

A lot of work for firm development initiatives outside of client hours

10. "RUN...do not walk away from this company!!"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC

I worked at Deloitte (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are none, unless you enjoy being stabbed in the back.

Cons

I worked on the BUMED team, where the "leadership" shows favoritism. You work extremely long hours with very little recognition. The "leadership" will promote those in their clique, and release others based on their lack of recognizing actual talent. All managers, directors, Sr. managers I worked for were all pretty much worthless and spineless.

Advice to Management

Resign. Seriously.

Showing 964 of 20,071 reviews