Deloitte Reviews in Washington, DC | Glassdoor

Updated May 26, 2017

Washington, DC Area

4.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends

Pros
  • Awesome Firm to work for with good work/life balance (in 1130 reviews)

• fantastic place to start / grow your career (in 400 reviews)

Cons
  • Average Work life balance for all (in 3075 reviews)

• Lot of politics no work life balance (in 620 reviews)

1. "Great company but should focus on work life balance."

Current Employee - Oracle Functional Analyst in Vienna, VA
    Current Employee - Oracle Functional Analyst in Vienna, VA

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Organized company, great culture, great people, and great potential for growth. Fantastic place for entry level employees with good salaries, benefits, and 401k.

Cons

You are expected to work a MINIMUM of 8 hours a day but you are really expected to work 9 hour days. Depending on your commute your looking at a 10 hour workday, everyday.

Advice to Management

I love what I do but it's not the only thing I love to do. If you go to the gym everyday after work like me, shower and eat dinner then you're not left with much personal time. I strongly believe in 7 hour work days and many studies back this up. This leaves an extra hour for commute, which I consider the worst part of my work, and allows the day to be cut into 3 equal 8 hour parts as it should. 8 hours for work, 8 hours for personal, 8 hours for sleep. I truly believe this would create a much happier, healthier and productive workforce.

2. "For those who want to work and travel a lot"

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You get to travel a lot (every week usually) and work with brilliant people

Cons

Very high-pressure "up or out" environment may not suit some; large organization makes you feel unimportant sometimes

3. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Competitive pay lots of PTO and tons of training opportunities. You get to work with very high level interesting clients as well.

Cons

Often put in difficult situations that don't ensure your success. In a manager and above level you often have to find your own projects despite what the Talent people may tell you when hired.
    They give a lot of lip service to work/life balance but still expect you to bill 50+ hours per week. If you aren't willing to do that, you won't succeed there.

Advice to Management

While growth and stretching is important, it is more important for new employees especially, to put them in situations where they can leverage prior experience to succeed.

5. "Sr. Enperprise Architect"

Current Employee - Senior Enterprise Architect in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Enterprise Architect in Washington, DC

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great opportunities to learn - Deloitte University is great!

Cons

Not the best work-life balance

Advice to Management

Provide true work-life balance; rebrand some service lines to broaden the scope of capabilities practitioners can deliver to clients (leave politics aside and focus on what clients are looking for)

"Kind of Great and Kind of Bad"

Current Employee - Senior Technical Consultant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The benefits are so nice. Its almost hard to find companies that give you $500 Wellness Allowance, $300 Mobile Tech Allowance, crazy amounts of Parental leave, 200+ hours of PTO, yearly bonuses/raises based on performance, and training on demand.

They try to honor flexibility and predictability as much as possible

Cons

You will work for those perks. And don't know what your skillset is but it doesn't matter because you will do a bit of everything as a consultant. I really hate that. As a consultant you will work on proposals even if that's not something you want to do or have a knack for. If you are on their traditional PPD career path then this also means you have to do firm initiative (aka free work for the firm)

If you are a technical person like me I would recommend steering clear lest you like not working tech.

Advice to Management

Management is generally awesome. They have been through the same crap as you and the typically understand that things come up and life happens.

7. "Consultant"

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to explore different types of work/figure out what you want to do

Cons

You have to actively search to find work that interests you

"Strategy & Operations Consultant"

Former Employee - Strategy & Operations Consultant in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Strategy & Operations Consultant in Washington, DC

I worked at Deloitte (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great corporate perks. Very smart people to work with. Wide variety of project opportunities across industries and service offerings.

Cons

Requires diligence on analysts end to know which managers to avoid. Some projects are sold with little insight into how it can be delivered.

"If Deloitte (Consulting) was a person, her intentions for your development would be 5 star"

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

(FOR CONSULTING)
    One of the best IT support and handling I've known and worked with (even relating to other people's experience with competitors)
    Easy to develop yourself there and robust training (online and virtual)
    Professional development (soft skills) is wonderful
    Its easy to have a work family here. People tend to look out for each other
    You sucked in your last project? If you're not fired and depending on your office, its not hard to do better and start on a clean slate (i was there)

Cons

VERY VERY people oriented. Which isn't bad, but Deloitte is an odd mix of a people-cracy and meritocracy. It's not for everyone. You must do well at work and at relating to people
    The performance review system is HIGHLY unbalanced and very subjective. If you don't have the best relationship with your reviewer, you're toast. If you do, then you well off...Which is the same everywhere, but @ deloitte only 4 questions are used to determine this at "snapshots" and they are very, very subjective. There's no way to defend why YOU the reviewed person are where you are. Also it's not a 2 way review and you cannot see your reviews. It's weird
    Sometimes they hire without knowing what they are going to do with the hire. Basically hire based on skill not work need (from my experience talking with new hires)

It's easy to be left out of the loop and then never recover from being left out (like an inside clique)

I'd love to come back to this later...I have my issues with the firm

Advice to Management

You keep harping about "utilization" yet you guys hire very qualified people and they end up leaving because you don't have where to put them or you promise to put them somewhere and internal politics get in the way. I am not a new hire, but new hires who aren't campus recruits should be treated better.

Please overhaul the review system. Its unfair and highly subjective.DPME (the old 2 way street review system) was tedious, but at least it was fair by getting to see the substantiation behind decisions make about your life at Deloitte. You can do better.

Keep up the good work in other areas. I really do think this is a great firm (I know it is cuz I've worked with 2 of the Big 4) I overall think this is a cool place to work and practitioners definitely leave being positively changed people.

10. "consultant work"

Current Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at Deloitte (More than a year)

Pros

great office culture. Many of my coworkers became close friends. All love to have fun (ton of happy hours).

Cons

work a ton, ton of red tape before anything can actually get done

11. "It is what you make of it"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Arlington, VA

I worked at Deloitte full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You're surrounded by smart and ambitious people. Good benefits, not bean counters

Cons

You're evaluated on a normalized scale against your peers, long hours, lots of biz development hours

Advice to Management

Change your business model for federal accounts, change your utilization calculation so employees can use their PTO

Showing 367 of 17,860 reviews