Deloitte Reviews in Washington, DC | Glassdoor

Updated August 17, 2017

Washington, DC Area

3.8

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great work life balance across the board (in 1191 reviews)

• fantastic place to start / grow your career (in 420 reviews)

Cons

1. "Great company to work for."

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Washington, DC

Pros

Excellent benefits and many opportunities for advancement.

Cons

Work life balance is difficult to implement due to heavily matrixed environment and lack of dedicated resources for proposal writing even on large projects.

Advice to Management

Provide more stringent performance requirements for Partner/Principals. Rate them on leadership and other "soft skills".

2. "Deloitte insider perspective"

Current Employee - Business Technology Analyst in Washington, DC

Pros

Deloitte is an industry leader. They boast a good reputation, and hire the best people. Because Deloitte is privately held, the partners treat the company like their baby, and make decisions which are best for business in the long run. Deloitte takes care of its employees by offering a competitive compensation and benefits plans. You have a lot of freedom to customize your career including increasing your workload to "fast track your career" or decreasing your workload to focus on parenting and other life activities. Deloitte promotes a team/family culture, so you know your coworkers and care about them.

Cons

A downside would be you are judged during your year end performance evaluation on your participation in firm activities outside of client work. Your year end rating is based upon a "bell curve" and it is important to network because the firm is very political. They have many initiatives to promote work/life balance, but there are still strides needed to make it easier to balance having a family with working at Deloitte.

Advice to Management

I think that the firm has some work to do about having some more diverisity in Senior Management. Leadership is aware of their need to improve in this area, and have started initiatives to that effect, but it is still a work in progress.

3. "Learn a lot but Work a lot"

Current Employee - Tax Consultant in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Tax Consultant in McLean, VA

Pros

Learn alot in a little amount of time

Cons

A lot of time spent at work... very little free time

Advice to Management

Need more senior management to guide staff

4. "Great first job"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rosslyn, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rosslyn, VA

Pros

Great name, valuable experience, great locations.

Cons

Unsure of the downside at this point.

Advice to Management

Realy don't have an opinion. Have not been there long enough to know

5. "Company with Integrity - Very Professional and Competent"

Current Employee - Consultant in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Arlington, VA

Pros

Transparent - Culture is stated and is adhered to
    Right fit - For me it fits perfectly with my personality, work ethic, and goals.
    Long-term committment - This is a company that I have a desire to stay with, I have no desire to seek employment elsewhere.
    Work-Life Committments - With the right time management skills and priority settings, I'm able to making everything work between my career and personal life.

Cons

I do not see any 'Cons', with anything the more value you put into something the more you get out of it. I suggest not working here if you do not value investing your time, energy, and passion. The intention is that you will work to fulfil Client's expectations - sometimes that means travel, extra time & dedication - however these same things assist with advancing your experience, education, and reputation.

Advice to Management

Very professional organization that is continuing to thrive, especially in Federal sector. I'm very grateful that the repuation that I've heard about is completely lived up to now that I'm experiencing it first hand.

"Deloitte - Demanding and"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC

Pros

Deloitte has a strong "Corporate" culture that may not fit everyone. It is competitive, fast-paced, and can demand a lot of extra time but I think that it is what makes it so rewarding. If you know how to operate within the Deloitte environment you can go far but it will still take a lot of hard work to get where you want to go so don't forget to enjoy the journey.

Cons

It is wasy to get lost in the crouwd at Deloitte so you need to constantly network and build your personal brand in order to stay on "top-of-mind" to those in influential positions.

Advice to Management

Management needs to constantly balance what they perceive as opposing "pulls." Those of developing the business and of developing the staff. I think management can do a better job of realizing that these two pulls are not pulling in different directions, of course I think management in most firms can do a better job of this.

7. "Must know the right people and prove yourself"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Pros

- Smart people
    - Accessibility to all levels
    - Strong mentorship model

Cons

Nothing different from a typical consulting firm:
    - Long hours
    - Always at the mercy of client and partners

8. "A great place for a career"

Former Employee - Principal in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Principal in Washington, DC

Pros

Growth, respect, quality, great people

Cons

Politics, pressure, high expectations, personal agendas

"Lots of opportunity"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC

Pros

Work/Life balance
    Chance to show competence

Cons

Push to contribute to sales can be a burden.
    Metrics are hard to maintain at times.

Advice to Management

Keep compensating you practitioners, but do above the market rate, don't try to simply match your competitors.

10. "Just started, but I've never once second guessed my choice."

Current Employee - Business Technology Analyst in Washington, DC

Pros

A "great place to start your career" sounds like a cliche and it is, but it's the truth. I know without a doubt I can go and work for any other country based on the experiences I've had and will have with Deloitte.

Cons

With it being such a large company advancement and progress is no body's responsibility but your own. While some can see this as a good thing, there's no real safety net to fall on if you fail. Your in control of your own career.

Advice to Management

There should be a better effort to staff the new hires because coming in "on the beach" can be very disheartening to new hires who've come in excited and ready to work, just to be told to train and network yourself into a project.

Showing 946 of 18,984 reviews