Deloitte Reviews in Washington, DC | Glassdoor

Deloitte Washington Reviews

Washington, DC

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends

Pros
  • Awesome Firm to work for with good work/life balance (in 1104 reviews)

• fantastic place to start / grow your career (in 397 reviews)

"Deloitteasourus"

Former Employee - Tax in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Tax in Washington, DC

I worked at Deloitte full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Looks good on your resume. Also, hones up your acting skills. Great benefits. Tax has the potential to be what the rest of the firm is.

Cons

Politics, back-stabbing, and a lot of old timers who do not deal well with change that sabotage any new comers. No collaboration. Everyone is on their own side. No progress. No trust. No team work. It's like kindergarten for orphans. Partners have favorites, favorites do hardly any work and throw everyone else under the bus. Management have no real positive leadership skills. Everyone walks on eggshells. I've never seen anything like it. Very disappointing. Better to just play along and not raise any issues. When you let them know the emperor has no clothes, it's you who has the problem and your life will become miserable.

Advice to Management

Get full time leadership in each office who has management background. A tax person who has no people skills should not be in charge of office culture, just bad for morale. If you want to improve business, start at the top with a permanent professional, not changing every 4 years to a new less personable person.

2. "Dog eat dog"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits; work/life balance can be reasonable depending on project.

Cons

Unqualified leadership demonstrates favoritism and lack of professionalism - unhealthy competitive work environment.

Advice to Management

Pay closer attention to surveys and request feedback from staff.

"review"

Current Employee - Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at Deloitte full-time

Pros

No matter how complex your business questions, we have the capabilities and experience to deliver the answers you need to move forward. As the world’s largest consulting firm, we can help you take decisive action and achieve sustainable results.

Cons

Consistently work 12-16 hour days and 6-8 hour/day weekends and it's been consistently that way as I move into my 3rd project. There are some things in life that are just not worth it anymore, and this job is one of them. It's not to say that other candidates might not have a different experience between groups

5. "Federal Consultant"

I worked at Deloitte full-time

Pros

Good pay and structure. DU is fun. The "own your own career" thing isn't true at all though.

Cons

If your counselor sucks you are screwed.
    You will be stuck in your contract forever with no possibly to move.

Advice to Management

Change the counselor mandatory meeting requirements, they won't meet with the Jr staff unless they have to.

"Bad place and no clear direction!"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good learning resources. Impressive facility called Deloitte University.
    You get exposed to business side of things, proposal writing, contract bidding, and develop soft skills, learn how to communicate and network well.

Cons

It's not about what you or the quality of work you do (esp. as a technologist). You will be asked to work to build a weak product as long as it can be released on time and then asked to move on to the next contract.

Your success here is dependent on who you know higher up in the chain, how you falsely hype up your position and accomplishments, and how much you are willing to majorly focus on benefitting the firm (outside of your full time client project) with winning more work and keeping your utilization up by not taking all your PTO.

As a technologist, this place is a really bad fit in the federal space. We are under valued, and there is no focus on making quality software. The technologies used are backwards, and most of the work is about maintaining old legacy systems for the government. I felt like I spent more time with security compliances, clearances and protocols than I spent on implementing software.

The evaluation process is majorly disappointing. The person who represents you in the meeting is not someone who has worked with you and knows you to a good extent. And the higher up people who decide your rating might have never worked with you, and will show favoritism in case they do know someone. It feels as if there is no control on driving your career here.

7. "gone downhill in a hurry"

Current Employee - Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Everything about this place turns on a dime when consulting work is plentiful or not. Can be lots of fun when this go right.

Cons

When work cycles into lower gear -- fewer big contracts up for grabs -- this place will turn on you and treat many 'valued employees' like garbage.

Advice to Management

get real

"The grass isn't as green..... you'd be better served going with PWC, KPMG, or E&Y"

Former Employee - Business Strategy in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Business Strategy in Washington, DC

Pros

I worked for Deloitte (DC area) for about 2.5 years. I developed a great network, and was challenged professionally the entire time. I improved on my time management skills dramatically, and enjoyed the freedom of working remotely. Due to the rigorous demands, I am now a much more competent business professional. If I had to sum up the pros of working for Deloitte, they would be as follows:

* Ability to work remotely
    * Professional development
    * Top tier/elite network of business professionals; Top Leadership is exceptional and amongst the best in the DC area
    * Potential for upward advancement -- I was promoted during my first review (after being with the firm for 7 months)

In short, a solid opportunity for those at the beginning of their career aiming to absorb information, develop new skill sets, and develop professionally. However, the Cons most certainly outweigh the pros. I try to provide as much detail as possible as I wish I would have come across a review like mine before accepting their offer.

Cons

The cons outweighed the pros by a long shot. The cons are as follows:

* Work/life balance - By far the absolute worst I've experienced. The average work week is 60 hours, and this is a pretty even keel number. I can't recall one week where I worked less than 55 hours, and there were times when I was working 75+ hours/week. In addition, I was pressured to be online and respond to my Manager during the week as late as 11pm--my wife loved this, let me tell you. If you have a family, your time with them will become very limited. Yes, there is PTO in addition to the firm Holidays, but you are required to literally give up your life for those perks.
    * Compensation - Deloitte is well behind the curve in this regard. Deloitte employees have two jobs/obligations; one to the client, and one to the firm; both of which are highly demanding. The benefits are average at best. The pension (which they sell heavily as a reason for a lower base salary) doesn't materialize until the 4th year (automatically enrolled after a year; vested after three years), and the 401K match leaves a lot to be desired. Friends of mine employed with Deloitte competitors, made (on average) about $10K - $15K more per year (same level/years of experience/credentials). They were doing the same type of work, and getting the same client exposure. In addition, they worked about 10-15 fewer hours per week. Insane!!
    * Red Tape/Internal Processes - The amount of Red Tape is enough to make you feel like you're in a straight jacket.
    * Politics/Support - Shocking to say the least. To say that this is a "firm of favorites" is an understatement of catastrophic proportions. I'm still in disbelief over what I witnessed as an employee...and how it just continued with no end in sight. The politics game is rampant/universal, and this is where Deloitte can make some huge strides. A co-worker/friend who worked in the same division was consistently getting sidelined when it came to mid and annual reviews. He was extremely sharp, and worked harder than anyone on his team, but because he wasn't one of the Team Lead's favorites, she did not communicate his progress, brilliance, and dedication to Leadership. In fact, she tried to sabotage him on a few occasions. He communicated this to HR and nothing was done. Consequently, others in the group who were less qualified (who this same co-worker actually mentored and helped) were promoted while he was passed up. I remember him telling me how one of his team members who was recently promoted was still asking him for help....she was previously a peer...he was now reporting to her, and she still needed his guidance. This was a hard thing for me to witness. In addition, from what I gathered, this was not an isolated issue--this phenomenon was prevalent across multiple lines of service/departments throughout the firm. Communicating this inequity to upper management would most certainly jeopardize one's employment. This was the determining factor in my resignation. From an ethical perspective, I couldn't stomach what was going on. Lastly, there is a bit of a gender bias towards females throughout the firm. I was lucky enough to be on the Team Lead's good side, but if you're a male, I'd highly recommend considering PWC, KPMG or E&Y if you want to be treated fairly.

Advice to Management

Communication, from the bottom to the top, would alleviate the improper use of power. Power abuse amongst Managers/Team Leads is absolutely rampant throughout the entire firm--it's sickening. Instead of having all of the communication come from Managers/Team Leads (to Leadership), Seniors and Consultants should be encouraged/permitted to communicate directly with Leadership.... perhaps via a periodic survey, on a monthly or quarterly basis. As it currently stands, there is nothing preventing a Manager/Team Lead from fulfilling his/her own personal agenda, and keeping those reporting to him/her, who are otherwise ready to be promoted, from being promoted. This is a huge problem, and if not addressed, attrition will continue to digress. Ever wonder why the firm seems to be a revolving door for employees with less than a year of tenure? Deloitte coins the phrase "we like to set people up for success". Per the above, this only holds true if you're lucky. Make some changes...make Deloitte more than just a good resume builder. Make it a good place to work. After being with the firm for almost three years, I can honestly say that I wish I would have accepted PWC's offer....

9. "It's A Shame"

Former Contractor - Systems Analyst in Washington, DC
    Former Contractor - Systems Analyst in Washington, DC

I worked at Deloitte as a contractor (More than 8 years)

Pros

Employs a lot of people Has a long history, but when you feel the need to change your name every decade or so, you have a corporate culture problem.

Cons

80% of their direct hires are not U.S. citizens. It allows them to hire ultra-cheap and jettison any and all back to their homelands. They expect 10 to 18 hours a day of your time and whenever you get home they expect you to study their corporate procedures and policies (which you will be tested on) in order to remain employed and advance within the company. Most Americans they employ only hang around long enough to have a nice bullet on their resume and leave as fast as they can.
    Deloitte has two long running contracts with the state of Mass. and the state of PA. They won these contracts in 2003, and were supposed to convert their systems from mainframe to mainframe being used as a data-store/server with a new front-end in JAVA and/or Oracle. More than ten years later neither has been completed.

Advice to Management

Stop trying to fool people about your hiring practices If you want people to work more than 8 hours you must be willing to pay them for those excess hours. Hire more Americans than you do people from other countries, or at least be 100% honest about it.

"Sr. Consultant"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC

I worked at Deloitte (More than a year)

Pros

I honestly cannot think of any. The only one that comes close is, it looks good on a resume, but other than that...zero.

Cons

They treat you like a number, not a person. A very cut-throat organization, with tons of backstabbing to climb the corporate ladder. I would not wish my worst enemy to work there.

Advice to Management

Start treating your employees like people, and not a means to an end.

"Hit or Miss...depends on your luck"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1. Name Recognition.
    2. Great training programs.
    3. DU is a beautiful campus.

Cons

1. Politics, politics, politics…beware at all times.
    2. No work-life balance…no explanation needed.
    3. If coming in as a Senior Consultant, ensure you have a project PRIOR to starting. Many Senior Consultants come hired onto the bench, which tanks your utilization, and you will be penalized. Senior Consultants are not a hot commodity in the Federal space. It is easier to hire an Analyst or Consultant on a project than a Senior Consultant.
    4. Not easy to switch projects if not a match for your skill set. The manager will pretty much screw you on your review for this.
    5. Not as “client focused” as promoted. More often than not, it is all about the sale of new business than focusing on the task already given. Clients suffer.
    6. Manager -level and above will throw you under the bus to save their own hide. You must play the game well and be-friend the right people to ensure your end of the year review is not affected.
    7. Your vacation is not your vacation. You have to pretty much beg to take off. Also, keep in mind; taking vacation tanks your utilization.
    8. Not as easy to move within the company as promised. One has to actually PROVE themselves qualified in order to move somewhere else. This will require approvals all over the place.

Advice to Management

Take a hard look at the management in place. I encourage 360 reviews to be required for every project manager by their project team. That will identify all weak links. Partners are too far removed from everyone to be the advocate and solve problems. As long as the politics out-weigh the experience, turn over will continue to increase. Utilization shouldn’t be required for first year employees. Navigating thought the company is hard enough as is.

Showing 22 of 17,479 reviews