Delta Air Lines Reviews | Glassdoor

Ed Bastian

2,027 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Better work life balance needed" (in 45 reviews)

• "Takes some time to earn a full time position seniority is everything the more time you have in the better your pick at scheduled days off bids etc" (in 98 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great work environment, good pay, stable company, excellent benefits"

Former Employee - Associate Software Developer in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Associate Software Developer in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Delta Air Lines full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flight benefits are the standout benefit for sure. Aside from that, the work in the IT department is project based, so very team oriented with steady, predictable work patterns. Positive environment with good management.

Cons

Very hard to stand out in such a large company. Promotions are few and very far between. Commute to the main office can be rough being located on the south side next to the airport

"Flight Attendant"

Current Employee - Flight Attendant in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Flight Attendant in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Delta Air Lines full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The terrific company culture you hear about ... its even BETTER! I *love* working here, and know the difference (this is 3rd airline)!

Cons

I have no cons to report. Expectations of your job are high, but that’s fair as rewards are high. I have no intention of ever leaving this company.

Advice to Management

Keep up the incredible work! I work with THE best people! EVERYONE cares about each other and this brand.

3. "great job"

I have been working at Delta Air Lines full-time

Pros

great place to learn about how a business operates

Cons

very hard to advance into higher position

"Cool experiences in the short term, not a long-term career option or lifestyle for everyone"

Former Employee - Flight Attendant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Flight Attendant in New York, NY

I worked at Delta Air Lines full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Constant variety, ability to see the world/country, easily visit friends you haven't seen in years
    -As a very flexible job (job flexibility varies by base), you have the ability to pursue so many hobbies and sometimes second jobs while working full time.
    -You have the option of living literally anywhere in the world and commuting to work/base (however, it can be very stressful and difficult).
    -Delta is unique with regards to the scheduling system. The ability to swap trips and trade them with available trips was a lifesaver sometimes and led to a pretty cool lifestyle. You have the ability to work a lot all at once in order to easily have 7-10 days off in a row, for example. You also have the option of just picking up available trips if you want to work more. Also, have a cool/easy trip? It might get picked up by someone else who wants to work more and you just got a free day or two.
    - I liked the structured yearly pay scale where you're guaranteed consistent raises throughout the years, capping off at 15 years.
    -Profit Sharing in February was always a treat!
    -I met countless celebrities, politicians, and just plain interesting people from all over the world in just a few years.
    -Only 6 days of being on call per month as opposed to many airlines that are full time reserve
    - I was based in NYC for 2 years and SLC for 6 months. Western bases are by far less stressful.

Cons

-Flying standby is stressful even though it's a perk of the job. Every year flights seem to be more and more full which means it's harder to get on them, negating the very benefit of flying for fun
    -Trips seem to be declining in quality. My best year was my very first year when I was most junior in 2016.. 4 hour airport sits are common in between flights, long duty days of 12-15 hours, minimum hour layovers on domestic flights only leaving you enough time to sleep, etc
    -Flight attendants seem to constantly be understaffed. My monthly schedule started getting more and more packed, leaving less room to move things around.
    - It's such a big company that you feel like a number. Your supervisor never really gets to observe how well you work and performance reviews are solely based on unreliable reviews from passengers. Passenger reviews talking about gate agents or their poor experience with TSA brings down your rating as a flight attendant. You may form somewhat of a relationship with your supervisor, only to discover you've been transferred to someone else because the base size is increasing.
    -Getting flown into off days, rotations changing mid-trip, and delays are always a risk with this type of job. Some might say these circumstances increased over time. I think it also depends where you're based as East Coast bases tend to have worse luck with that sort of thing.
    -Not necessarily home every night, so packing food for a 3 day trip can be a challenge, especially when you're trying to stay healthy.
    -My personal health started to decline only 4 months into the job. I have a history of autoimmune issues (which had been resolved before this job) and this lifestyle was not the best fit for me long-term. The first year I was periodically pulling 24 hour days, running on adrenaline, in order to see as much as I possibly could. The second year I slowed down substantially and tried to organize as much of a "normal" schedule as I could in order to help my sleep cycle/health, but realized how difficult it was with time changes and/or short layovers. Even when trying to find "easy" trips with short duty days and plenty of rest time, it was taking me at least 3 days to recover when I'd get home. It seemed as if all of my off days were taken up by trying to get as much rest as I could and I just couldn't catch up. I started to consistently feel like a zombie and the beauty of travel completely lost its glamour for me.

Advice to Management

There will always the anti- pro- union talk within the company. Stick to previous CEO Richard Anderson's theory: take care of your employees because happy employees means happy customers. Staffing levels need to be appropriate. Even the healthiest flight attendants are overworked and overtired. I appreciate Ed Bastain's experience as CFO and financial-related matters, but don't let money matters get in the way of taking care of your own.

"Awesome"

Current Employee - General Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - General Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Delta Air Lines full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great culture, benefits, and flexibility

Cons

Very few, mainly little things

"The good and the bad"

I have been working at Delta Air Lines part-time

Pros

Flight benefits. Employee's spouse (or one companion), children, parents are included in flight benefits. Can fly domestic for free and fly international and only pay taxes. Unlimited travel benefits.

Cons

No union. Ramp workers are treated like dirt. The pay for the strenuous amount of work required is extremely low. (The $18.99 is based on Los Angeles price of living, otherwise wage is $14.32/hr). Numerous ramp employees that have had back surgeries, knee replacements, and other procedures due to the wear and tear on the body from repetitive and unnatural strain. Management has an enormous amount of power and use their power for complete control over employees. Clocking into work 1 minute late can result in "write-up", depending on Management's attitude that day. 1 write up will not allow you to be promoted for one year. 3 write-ups in one year for same offense result in automatic termination. Many of the write-ups are frivolous, again dependent on how management feels that day.
    Ready Reserve (part time) employees have no medical benefits. They are capped at the number of hours allowed to work per year (1400 hours).

"Great Company. Glad I have a union though."

Current Employee - B-737 Captain in New York, NY
    Current Employee - B-737 Captain in New York, NY

I have been working at Delta Air Lines full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

No need to kiss butt. You have a seniority number.

Cons

Company does stupid things sometimes.

Advice to Management

When there's a problem, punish the people doing wrong, not everybody.

8. "Customer service"

I have been working at Delta Air Lines part-time

Pros

They have great flying benefits

Cons

They keep you with Minimum hours

9. "Cargo agent"

I have been working at Delta Air Lines part-time

Pros

Great benefits, flying perks and great company with good worker

Cons

None there no bad thing it overall a good company

"Beware of poor leadership"

Current Employee - Product Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Delta Air Lines full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great brand to work for.

Cons

Strength of leadership varies from department to department. It's a culture of managing up and up and up, and direction comes top down.

Advice to Management

Value your corporate people a little more. Place less emphasis on the bottom line.

Showing 2,027 of 2,176 reviews