Delta Air Lines Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Delta Air Lines CEO Ed Bastian
Ed Bastian

Pros
  • Flight benefits are a major plus if you enjoy seeing the world (in 313 reviews)

• This job had great travel benefits with hard working people passionate about the airline industry (in 148 reviews)

Cons
  • You have to be a certain kind of person to be able to develop a work/ life balance that works for you (in 36 reviews)

• It's hard to transition from a co-op to a full time positions (in 75 reviews)

1. "Is Delta Airlines really "Best Place to Work"?"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Delta Air Lines part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

This is a great fun job! I wouldn't trade it from any other job out there!

Cons

It is one of the most unfair places that I have ever worked.

Advice to Management

I am writing this as a Delta employee in response to the article "Delta Wins Glassdoor Employees' Choice Award - Best Places to Work 2016". I believe that the following contradictory opinions about Delta would be something worth looking into and publishing your opinion on. Delta a might very well be a great place to work, if you are a full-time employee, BUT the question is...is it a FAIR place to work??? It absolutely is NOT a fair place to work. Delta is concerned only about profits and money, and give the illusion that they care about their employees, when in fact, they view their employees as expendable. Especially the employees that are the biggest reason for Delta's high profits. I am writing about their Ready Reserve Program.

I am interested as to the types of employees that "volunteered" their opinion on the workplace at Delta Airlines. Five years ago, I may have agreed that it was a great place to work. I am a "Ready Reserve" at Delta Airlines.

A search on the internet will show that Ready Reserve jobs start at half the pay as Full Time jobs for positions such as ticket counter and gate customer service agents, baggage handlers and ramp operators. These workers lift, load, unload, and transport baggage, mail, and cargo to and from aircraft. Duties also include operating ground support equipment such as tugs, conveyor belts and tow tractors. Ready Reserves perform the exact same jobs as the Full-Time jobs with the exact same amount of responsibilities. There is no difference other than benefits and pay. Delta Air Lines is the only domestic airline to use a flexible staffing program. It's used to fill numerous operational positions at all of its hubs nationwide. The airline calls it a "win-win," saying it helps better manage staffing levels. But really it's a not-so-thinly-veiled attempt to simply eliminate full-time jobs with benefits. Ready Reserves actually end up driving to work more days per year than the full-time employees, after the FT 5 paid vacation weeks, sick leave, etc...all while RR get paid less than half of what full timers get to do the exact same job. Delta is utilizing large percentages of Ready Reserve workers, who have no health benefits and accrue no seniority, vacation, sick, OJI or pension, are cheaper to employ than outsourced workers. If that's not bad enough, they are increasing the mandatory hours & days per week worked by the ready reserves. Delta declines to answer, when asked, about how much money Ready Reserves save the company. Let me tell you about how much they save the company.

When I started working for Delta as a Ready Reserve, it was never about the money, which is why I didn't mind making a little more than minimum wage. I got a job there for the flight benefits and a Ready Reserve position was fantastic. The positions were to give Delta extra people during busier times to help out the full-timers. They were 4-hour shifts 4 times per week. Delta gave the impression that they were made for those with 2nd jobs & stay at home moms to earn extra money, yet not be away from home as much as a full-time job. When I started, they made the shifts so you could double and triple up, that way you weren't driving in to the airport 4 times a week for just a few hours, which, after gas, was pretty much a wash as far as a paycheck. This was honestly a fantastic fun job! However, each year they have slowly taken away everything appealing about this job. Any 4 hour shift they have changed to 5 days a week, changed shifts to 5 or 6 hours instead of 4 hours, and made it so that the shifts don't line up so that you can double or triple as well. They have also taken away the ability to double more than twice a week and will no longer let you triple. Really none of this would be any big deal, but Ready Reserves now work just a few hours shy of the full time employees at Delta without any of the benefits that full-time employees get, for example:

Searching the internet, you can find that Ready Reserve pay is half that of Full Time employees, & with calculating benefits, the FT will make more than 5 times what Ready Reserves do, plus be eligible for overtime while physically driving into the airport 10% less. Full-time employees get sick pay, holiday pay, overtime (paid time & a half...or double time, depending on how much overtime they work) and 5 weeks paid vacation. Ready Reserves just recently started getting holiday pay, but only if they work on that holiday, and if they pick up any extra shift on the holiday, they just get normal pay. Full time employees can take their 7 floating holidays anytime during the year as vacation. Ready reserves get no overtime pay and get 1 week unpaid vacation. So, basically Delta pays Ready Reserves half of what they pay their full-time employees, but they physically drive into work more days out of the year than the full-time employees, after the 5 weeks paid vacation & holidays the FT employees take. They have taken away everything about the Ready Reserve program that makes it so that you can have another job or a family that you would like to see. For example, if you pick up a night shift with Ready Reserves, instead of a 6:30pm start time that they used to have, you start at 3:45pm, so you have to be to the airport before your kids get out of school, and you get off at 10:30pm, well after your kids have gone to sleep. I realize that Delta has no obligation towards their employees families, but the fact that they add all these hours on the shifts, yet keep the shifts just under the full-time shifts hours by 1.5 hours so they don't have to pay all the benefits to these employees is very unethical. They also still let the full-time employees come in for overtime, and when they do, they pay them time and a half and double time. That's 4x more than they are paying the RR employees, not including benefits they receive. For example, I have personally worked a night shift where I helped three customers total. I asked if I could go home early since there was nobody at the airport to help, but was told I could not, and the reason I was given was because one of the full time employees, who needed extra money, they had let come in for overtime. Therefore, they could not let anyone leave before him. If they did, they would not be able to justify paying him the double time pay that he was getting for his shift. If this is not unethical, I am not sure what is? Why, you ask, do RR employees not just upgrade to full time? Well, in my station they have not offered upgrades in 2 years, despite people retiring or quitting. And, when they do, they transfer in as many employees from different stations as they upgrade from our own to keep things "fair". The last upgraded employee in my station was 2 years ago and the people had to have at least 7 years with the company.

I understand companies not offering health and vacation benefits to part time employees, but Delta is using this to get around paying the same wages to employees doing the same job as full time employees, who actually physically drive in to work less days in a year than the Ready Reserves. They state on their website, “At Delta, we believe that reducing our impact on the environment is a business imperative.", yet the Ready Reserves are now asked to drive in 5 times a week 51 weeks out of the year, 5 weeks more than the FT employees, actually 6 weeks more after they take their holidays as well, which actually increases the impact Delta is having on our environment, the exact opposite of their claims. They are making billions of dollars claiming to be such a fair company who would never discriminate. A company who, which I why I can't attach my name to this letter, will fire any employee who would question their motives about this issue. I have seen quite a few employees who have been "let go" over the years because of their issues and questions about the fairness of the company. A company who employs many family members who work together and watch out only for each other, most of the time with one in a key leadership role. Why do we stay?, you might wonder??? We stay for the flight benefits! And, while Delta has stated that they are now overselling all the flights that they can to get 100% revenue passengers on every flight, and take away the one and only benefit that Ready Reserves get, for now, occasionally a few times a year we can still standby on flights, and I, for one, am not ready to give this up. I do, however, think it's time that Delta answers to this unfairness in the workplace, and I hope that you will follow up with them and ask them why they feel good about doing this to their employees and publish it for everyone to see and hold them accountable. Is Delta the Best Place to Work...or the greediest to work for?

"Flight Attendant"

Former Employee - Flight Attendant in Roy, UT
    Former Employee - Flight Attendant in Roy, UT

I worked at Delta Air Lines full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Free travel. And quality of life is better than other major airlines. You are only on reserve (they call them A-days) a maximum of 6 days a month unless you decide to pick up more. Your ability to swap drop and trade trips is great.

Cons

Management is all about the CEO and kissing his feet. While forgetting who the people are that make the company run. If you are injured on the job you be come a liability to the company and you coast them time and money. They are an at will company with no union and can let you go with out question.

Advice to Management

Fire your selves. You need to take better care of the people busting their butt to make your CEO millions of dollars while they live paycheck to paycheck.

"Non UNION"

Former Employee - Flight Attendant in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Flight Attendant in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Delta Air Lines full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You can hide behind your crimson and navy, but behind the smoke and mirrors lies hypocrisy.

Cons

Being disrespected by Union flight attendants because we just get handed , and they fight... therefore DELTA not considered looked up to. Felt more like a moocher, scab, or parasite.

Advice to Management

CULTure has GOT to go

5. "Atlanta was ok, Philadelphia was total nightmare"

Former Employee - Aviation Maintenance Technician in Phila, PA
    Former Employee - Aviation Maintenance Technician in Phila, PA

I worked at Delta Air Lines full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free flights when you can actually get on, discounts on tools through vendors, pay is ok but definitely not worth the liability you take when forced to perform quick maintenance bc money is most important thing

Cons

No training, terrible management, reported safety issues at stations and harassed to the point I quit, management does not listen to employee concerns, complaints.

Advice to Management

Learn your employees needs, offer healthcare that's descent considering all the toxic things you're exposed to on a daily basis, mechanics need union representation

6. "Customer service representative - Ready Reserve"

Pros

Flight benefits with a yearly activation fee.

Cons

Little advancement opportunity, lack of engagement with the Ready Reserve population as being a viable contributing employee class, too many management changes lack a cohesive message to Delta's overall goals, etc.

Advice to Management

Management teams should treat all stations as if they operate from Atlanta. Too many stations have different inconsistent policies and procedures. More open and honest with employees and stop pitting different employee groups against one another, e.g., in-flight vs. below wing.

7. "Agent"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

I worked at Delta Air Lines part-time

Pros

Enjoyed working with the customers

Cons

Mean red coats; not friendly; do not know how to train people

Advice to Management

Stop telling people if you're looking for a permanent job this is not the place for you

"Flight Attendant"

Current Employee - Flight Attendant/Purser in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Flight Attendant/Purser in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Delta Air Lines full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great travel to see the world. Love meeting new people and seeing new faces.

Cons

-We flight attendants do not have a union. Would you drive a car without insurance? You need protection either way.
    - Management uses a lot of favoritism.
    -Half of the flight attendants are on 18-month probation for things that are not fair.

Advice to Management

Stop the favoritism and let us flight attendants vote for OUR protection and rights.

Delta Air Lines Response

Aug 13, 2016 – Talent Acquisition

Dear ‘Flight Attendant’ - Thanks for taking the time to write a review. Our people and our culture are our most important competitive advantages and the direct relationship we have enjoyed with our ... More

"Customer Care Specialist"

Former Employee - Customer Care Representative in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Customer Care Representative in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Delta Air Lines part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flight benefits
    Flex schedule
    Slightly over min wage ;-)

Cons

Oppressive
    No 'real' performance evaluation
    Keep climbing is only for the planes, don't plan to go anywhere fast even if you are qualified
    Servant Leadership is about serving leadership - FYI
    Corporate Culture is majorly robotic and as fake as the plastic felt blankets on the plane

Advice to Management

Please allow a couple million of the billion drizzle down to the slaves that handle the customers, it will be worth it - long run
    Train, develop and encourage growth. Doing the same position forever is a disservice to you and the employee.
    Create real performance evaluations that measure performance
    Hire leads that know how to lead

"open door policy is non exsistance"

Pros

Free flights all over the world , profit sharing check

Cons

Management are bullying employees , do not question the culture , you can't not speak the truth

Advice to Management

Get rid of human resources , they will pretend they care but only care about covering up each other's wrong doing . the eoe dept can't give you a reason when you ask questions .

Delta Air Lines Response

Jul 20, 2016 – Talent Acquisition

I appreciate you taking the time to write this review however, if you feel that there are issues needing review and you are unable to reach out to your manager or HR, I would strongly encourage you ... More

"Boston is the worst station to start up at Delta"

Former Employee - Cargo Customer Service Agent in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Cargo Customer Service Agent in Boston, MA

I worked at Delta Air Lines (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flight benefits. That is all about it.

Cons

No union. If you are a new employee most likely you will wait 5 or 25 years to become a full timer or get promoted unless you plan to transfer to a bigger station like Atlanta or NY. Management is hardly working to reduce the amount of workers that are full timer with benefits, and replace them with part timers with only flight benefits, no 401k, or health benefits. Worst working hours: If you have a second job management wont even care to adjust your schedule or offer one that give you a chance to have second job. Their operation goes first. You are on your own if the next bid (6months) they decided to move schedule hours. No really merit culture despite company own philosophy. It is all about who you know. Cronyism is a common practice.

Advice to Management

There is a big gap between Delta policy, and the actually practice of them. Station like BOS lack a true culture of promoting people base on their merit.

Showing 76 of 1,611 reviews