Delta Air Lines Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated August 22, 2017

1.0

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Lack of work-life balance; high pressure (in 39 reviews)

• I would like to apply back for a full-time job (in 81 reviews)

"Disgraceful company"

Former Employee - Flight Attendant in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Flight Attendant in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Delta Air Lines full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You make good friends. That's about it.

Cons

I can't say enough bad things about this company. I was here almost three years. I fell for the brainwashing and the "family" talk at the beginning. It wasn't until a year in that I started to see through it all.

Employee morale is at an all time low. You are used and abused every single day. You work 12-14 hour days with no breaks, constant abuse and bullying from passengers, and in horrible disgusting work conditions. When you are reaching the 15 hour duty limit, you are entitled to walking away but most of us were bullied and threatened into staying. Say goodbye to ANY holidays with family at home ever again. Even memorial day, labor day, etc. During the summer you are forced to be constantly away from home as you work 100+ hours. One months this summer, I was home only 5 days, and that was without picking up any extra trips.

You are punished for being sick. The company literally says they "expect" you to only be sick twice a year. Is this a joke? We work on disgusting, never cleaned airplanes filled with bacteria while passengers are coughing, sneezing, vomiting, all day long. We hardly ever sleep, and when we do, it is often interrupted by phone calls from crew scheduling. The long days, lack of sleep deprivation, and no breaks are incredibly hard on our bodies and unhealthy. But we can never get sick?? Oh and good luck seeing a doctor when you ARE sick, as Delta proudly boasts the worst health insurance in the industry. Every single time I picked up prescriptions, the pharmacists were embarrassed to tell me the cost, or often whispered it to me. They have told me that they never see costs this high, and when they do, it is with someone who doesn't even HAVE insurance.

The passenger behaviour has gotten OUT OF CONTROL. This behaviour and this entitlement was single handedly created by Delta!! I showed up to work every single day on time, in my three years there I only called out sick four times. I came to work, I was kind and respectful to passengers , and all I received in return was constant abuse and disrespect from the passengers and company. Passengers would write in making up stories about you that never happened, hoping they'd get some kind of compensation. You'd be called in to talk to your manager about the write up and then you'd be punished for something that never happened!! The company NEVER had your back. Welcome to the "family" !!!

The company will lie to you day in and day out. We are "innovation, expanding, fixing, improving. " Delta was never doing any of those thing. Its no wonder the staffing problems have gotten out of control, because all of the flight attendants are calling out sick. Why? Some of them are actually sick. Most of them just WANT TO BE HOME and do not want to work because of how horrible the conditions have become! The trips have gotten worse and worse. The duty days are longer and longer, and without a union and contract things will only continue to get worse!!

I left before I had to stand by and watch the company fall to pieces. You are nothing but a number here. All of us KNOW what is happening, some are turning a blind eye, too afraid to speak up. If you speak up and ask for respect and fairness, you are punished. Many are finally opening their eyes and waking up to the constant abuse and disrespect from the company. Unfortunately only a few of us are brave enough to speak up, or to leave so this company can no longer abuse you.

Advice to Management

Making your employees happy comes before everything. As soon as they are happy, everything will naturally work itself out. This company is an old old house with a crumbling crumbling foundation. But management and leaders CONTINUE to try to impress the customers by refreshing the house with new shutters, new paint, new flowers in the front yard etc. The house will still CRUMBLE to pieces. You can not keep putting sugar on top of an unstable and outdated foundation. This company does not have a bright future!!!!

"Reservations is like a different company"

I have been working at Delta Air Lines full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Travel benefits. Coworkers are great. Shift and trading flexibility is pretty good. Work at home is a nice benefit.

Cons

Micromanagement is out of control. Mandatory overtime has become expected. It is always as busy as when the computer system goes down or storms in Atlanta. There is never any down time.

Advice to Management

Focus more on employee well being and not awards and trophies. The level of unnecessary stress is higher than it's ever been with no end in sight. Wendy's response to a previous agent was not accurate at all.

3. "Sr. Customer Service Agent"

I worked at Delta Air Lines full-time

Pros

Free flight benefits are the only real pros

Cons

Supervisors have very little leadership skills and treat employees as 2nd class citizens; you are only a number to them. They don't care about your wellbeing.

Have to work weekends; late shifts and holidays.

Advice to Management

Promoting from within is great but make sure that the employee has the the leadership skills. Being a management kiss butt should not be the reason that someone gets promoted.
    Before you write my opinions off as a disgruntled employee, know that I am a retiree who spent a large amount of time with the company.

4. "Awful customer service"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Detroit, MI
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Detroit, MI

I worked at Delta Air Lines as a contractor

Pros

They make lots of money overselling seats leaving no room for a cancelled flight. The profits are great but the service level is extremely poor.

Cons

Their bookings are so tight that my flight on a Wednesday evening in Tampa was cancelled due to weather in Atlanta, rescheduled for Thursday at 6:30 am which was delayed due to weather until 8:51 then cancelled due to catching up and the flight crew 'timed out' , rescheduled for Friday at 6:16 am and was cancelled. I got no notification until I saw it on the screen at the airport. I had to get up at 3 am to be at the airport only to find out it was cancelled. I got a text and email to 'check in' but not a delay!
    I've been cancelled 3 times. I demanded to be placed with another airline which they did not honor. I demanded I be placed on the next flight and bump a passenger that has not been canceled 3 times but they would not do that. I called the reservation phone line where I was on hold for 3 hours and 12 minutes and when they got on the line I asked for a supervisor to reimburse me for the 2 nights of hotel and 6 meals incurred due to their delay and she could not help me but gave me another Delta 800 number to call to complain to. Ironically, only Delta was significantly impacted by the weather. United, American, Southwest, and others were back on schedule by the next day. Apparently, Delta has not figured out the weather delays like the other major airlines have. Delta's new CEO leadership Ed Bastian appears to only be interested in taking my money but not improving the customer experience.

Advice to Management

Don't oversell all of your flights. Leave some open seats on every flight to better respond to weather or equipment delays. That may cost you a few million $ but your making billions so this is possible.

"Is Delta Airlines really "Best Place to Work"?"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Delta Air Lines part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

This is a great fun job! I wouldn't trade it from any other job out there!

Cons

It is one of the most unfair places that I have ever worked.

Advice to Management

I am writing this as a Delta employee in response to the article "Delta Wins Glassdoor Employees' Choice Award - Best Places to Work 2016". I believe that the following contradictory opinions about Delta would be something worth looking into and publishing your opinion on. Delta a might very well be a great place to work, if you are a full-time employee, BUT the question is...is it a FAIR place to work??? It absolutely is NOT a fair place to work. Delta is concerned only about profits and money, and give the illusion that they care about their employees, when in fact, they view their employees as expendable. Especially the employees that are the biggest reason for Delta's high profits. I am writing about their Ready Reserve Program.

I am interested as to the types of employees that "volunteered" their opinion on the workplace at Delta Airlines. Five years ago, I may have agreed that it was a great place to work. I am a "Ready Reserve" at Delta Airlines.

A search on the internet will show that Ready Reserve jobs start at half the pay as Full Time jobs for positions such as ticket counter and gate customer service agents, baggage handlers and ramp operators. These workers lift, load, unload, and transport baggage, mail, and cargo to and from aircraft. Duties also include operating ground support equipment such as tugs, conveyor belts and tow tractors. Ready Reserves perform the exact same jobs as the Full-Time jobs with the exact same amount of responsibilities. There is no difference other than benefits and pay. Delta Air Lines is the only domestic airline to use a flexible staffing program. It's used to fill numerous operational positions at all of its hubs nationwide. The airline calls it a "win-win," saying it helps better manage staffing levels. But really it's a not-so-thinly-veiled attempt to simply eliminate full-time jobs with benefits. Ready Reserves actually end up driving to work more days per year than the full-time employees, after the FT 5 paid vacation weeks, sick leave, etc...all while RR get paid less than half of what full timers get to do the exact same job. Delta is utilizing large percentages of Ready Reserve workers, who have no health benefits and accrue no seniority, vacation, sick, OJI or pension, are cheaper to employ than outsourced workers. If that's not bad enough, they are increasing the mandatory hours & days per week worked by the ready reserves. Delta declines to answer, when asked, about how much money Ready Reserves save the company. Let me tell you about how much they save the company.

When I started working for Delta as a Ready Reserve, it was never about the money, which is why I didn't mind making a little more than minimum wage. I got a job there for the flight benefits and a Ready Reserve position was fantastic. The positions were to give Delta extra people during busier times to help out the full-timers. They were 4-hour shifts 4 times per week. Delta gave the impression that they were made for those with 2nd jobs & stay at home moms to earn extra money, yet not be away from home as much as a full-time job. When I started, they made the shifts so you could double and triple up, that way you weren't driving in to the airport 4 times a week for just a few hours, which, after gas, was pretty much a wash as far as a paycheck. This was honestly a fantastic fun job! However, each year they have slowly taken away everything appealing about this job. Any 4 hour shift they have changed to 5 days a week, changed shifts to 5 or 6 hours instead of 4 hours, and made it so that the shifts don't line up so that you can double or triple as well. They have also taken away the ability to double more than twice a week and will no longer let you triple. Really none of this would be any big deal, but Ready Reserves now work just a few hours shy of the full time employees at Delta without any of the benefits that full-time employees get, for example:

Searching the internet, you can find that Ready Reserve pay is half that of Full Time employees, & with calculating benefits, the FT will make more than 5 times what Ready Reserves do, plus be eligible for overtime while physically driving into the airport 10% less. Full-time employees get sick pay, holiday pay, overtime (paid time & a half...or double time, depending on how much overtime they work) and 5 weeks paid vacation. Ready Reserves just recently started getting holiday pay, but only if they work on that holiday, and if they pick up any extra shift on the holiday, they just get normal pay. Full time employees can take their 7 floating holidays anytime during the year as vacation. Ready reserves get no overtime pay and get 1 week unpaid vacation. So, basically Delta pays Ready Reserves half of what they pay their full-time employees, but they physically drive into work more days out of the year than the full-time employees, after the 5 weeks paid vacation & holidays the FT employees take. They have taken away everything about the Ready Reserve program that makes it so that you can have another job or a family that you would like to see. For example, if you pick up a night shift with Ready Reserves, instead of a 6:30pm start time that they used to have, you start at 3:45pm, so you have to be to the airport before your kids get out of school, and you get off at 10:30pm, well after your kids have gone to sleep. I realize that Delta has no obligation towards their employees families, but the fact that they add all these hours on the shifts, yet keep the shifts just under the full-time shifts hours by 1.5 hours so they don't have to pay all the benefits to these employees is very unethical. They also still let the full-time employees come in for overtime, and when they do, they pay them time and a half and double time. That's 4x more than they are paying the RR employees, not including benefits they receive. For example, I have personally worked a night shift where I helped three customers total. I asked if I could go home early since there was nobody at the airport to help, but was told I could not, and the reason I was given was because one of the full time employees, who needed extra money, they had let come in for overtime. Therefore, they could not let anyone leave before him. If they did, they would not be able to justify paying him the double time pay that he was getting for his shift. If this is not unethical, I am not sure what is? Why, you ask, do RR employees not just upgrade to full time? Well, in my station they have not offered upgrades in 2 years, despite people retiring or quitting. And, when they do, they transfer in as many employees from different stations as they upgrade from our own to keep things "fair". The last upgraded employee in my station was 2 years ago and the people had to have at least 7 years with the company.

I understand companies not offering health and vacation benefits to part time employees, but Delta is using this to get around paying the same wages to employees doing the same job as full time employees, who actually physically drive in to work less days in a year than the Ready Reserves. They state on their website, “At Delta, we believe that reducing our impact on the environment is a business imperative.", yet the Ready Reserves are now asked to drive in 5 times a week 51 weeks out of the year, 5 weeks more than the FT employees, actually 6 weeks more after they take their holidays as well, which actually increases the impact Delta is having on our environment, the exact opposite of their claims. They are making billions of dollars claiming to be such a fair company who would never discriminate. A company who, which I why I can't attach my name to this letter, will fire any employee who would question their motives about this issue. I have seen quite a few employees who have been "let go" over the years because of their issues and questions about the fairness of the company. A company who employs many family members who work together and watch out only for each other, most of the time with one in a key leadership role. Why do we stay?, you might wonder??? We stay for the flight benefits! And, while Delta has stated that they are now overselling all the flights that they can to get 100% revenue passengers on every flight, and take away the one and only benefit that Ready Reserves get, for now, occasionally a few times a year we can still standby on flights, and I, for one, am not ready to give this up. I do, however, think it's time that Delta answers to this unfairness in the workplace, and I hope that you will follow up with them and ask them why they feel good about doing this to their employees and publish it for everyone to see and hold them accountable. Is Delta the Best Place to Work...or the greediest to work for?

"Flight attendant training instructor"

Current Employee - Flight Attendant Instructor in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Flight Attendant Instructor in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Delta Air Lines full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I can't think of any at all.

Cons

Every changing rules. They are like a cult...referring to other employees as family. Makes my skin crawl. Maybe a disfunctional family. Do not take a job as a flight attendant here. You will be mistreated and taken advantage of. Going to delta has been the biggest mistake of my life. I have never been treated with such disrespect. Delta thinks you should be happy to work for them. They are followers not leaders. Not innovators. Not open to new ideas. Very old stodgy company that likes to portray a fresh image. Looks are deceiving. Also the airport is in a very very bad part of town if you move to ATL thinks twice. You will have to live very far away from work to be in a nice affordable place.

Advice to Management

Start treating employees with respect. Stop calling them family. They are not. They should be a team. Wall Street journal has a good article on this exact topic. I feel like I'm in a cult Whatever you all decide is and should be good with us. Those purple uniforms are so tacky. Absolutely hideous. At first I thought it was a joke. But it's not. They look like hell. Work it out. Start promoting people on what they know not who they know or who they will agree with and you won't have problems like these ugly uniforms. Culture and values are messed up.

"Flight Attendant"

Former Employee - Flight Attendant in Roy, UT
    Former Employee - Flight Attendant in Roy, UT

I worked at Delta Air Lines full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Free travel. And quality of life is better than other major airlines. You are only on reserve (they call them A-days) a maximum of 6 days a month unless you decide to pick up more. Your ability to swap drop and trade trips is great.

Cons

Management is all about the CEO and kissing his feet. While forgetting who the people are that make the company run. If you are injured on the job you be come a liability to the company and you coast them time and money. They are an at will company with no union and can let you go with out question.

Advice to Management

Fire your selves. You need to take better care of the people busting their butt to make your CEO millions of dollars while they live paycheck to paycheck.

"Non UNION"

Former Employee - Flight Attendant in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Flight Attendant in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Delta Air Lines full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You can hide behind your crimson and navy, but behind the smoke and mirrors lies hypocrisy.

Cons

Being disrespected by Union flight attendants because we just get handed , and they fight... therefore DELTA not considered looked up to. Felt more like a moocher, scab, or parasite.

Advice to Management

CULTure has GOT to go

9. "Atlanta was ok, Philadelphia was total nightmare"

Former Employee - Aviation Maintenance Technician in Phila, PA
    Former Employee - Aviation Maintenance Technician in Phila, PA

I worked at Delta Air Lines full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free flights when you can actually get on, discounts on tools through vendors, pay is ok but definitely not worth the liability you take when forced to perform quick maintenance bc money is most important thing

Cons

No training, terrible management, reported safety issues at stations and harassed to the point I quit, management does not listen to employee concerns, complaints.

Advice to Management

Learn your employees needs, offer healthcare that's descent considering all the toxic things you're exposed to on a daily basis, mechanics need union representation

10. "Customer service representative - Ready Reserve"

Pros

Flight benefits with a yearly activation fee.

Cons

Little advancement opportunity, lack of engagement with the Ready Reserve population as being a viable contributing employee class, too many management changes lack a cohesive message to Delta's overall goals, etc.

Advice to Management

Management teams should treat all stations as if they operate from Atlanta. Too many stations have different inconsistent policies and procedures. More open and honest with employees and stop pitting different employee groups against one another, e.g., in-flight vs. below wing.

Showing 81 of 1,837 reviews