Delta Air Lines Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated July 4, 2017

2.0

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Lack of work-life balance; high pressure (in 39 reviews)

• It's hard to transition from a co-op to a full time positions (in 79 reviews)

1. "Great travel benefits, but that's it"

Former Employee - Customer Service Agent Ready Reserve
    Former Employee - Customer Service Agent Ready Reserve

I worked at Delta Air Lines part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fly for free (standby) worldwide

Cons

Not enough hours, no benefits, extremely stressful, hard to advance

"Delta Air Lines"

Current Employee - Airline Pilot in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Airline Pilot in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Delta Air Lines full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

office view from my office in my office the view is great

Cons

Company makes billions. doesn't share with employees

Advice to Management

invest billions you are making in your workforce, not in investors

3. "Finance"

I have been working at Delta Air Lines full-time

Pros

Delta is well respected within the industry and city of Atlanta. Can be a good stepping stone or place you can try to ride out if you can tolerate the extreme political nature of the company. Decent pay and opportunity to travel if willing to sacrifice much of the 'leisure' part of traveling when non-rev.

Cons

Extremely political, corporate BS. Top tier MBA's rule the company and are the pipeline to well paid positions. Without this you will face many "unspoken" obstacles to advance. Don't be surprised when your leadership is a revolving door due to the aforementioned MBA's continually chasing the buck ($) for a better opportunity/power. Information flow between groups is highly limited and slow, as you will likely work within your "silo". Information systems are limiting even with great effort to update.

Advice to Management

Openly communicate, create a true "Delta family" that is preached. Instead of passive aggressive management, communicate openly about performance and goals. Do not run the company based on fear of lost jobs/re-organization of lower level employees.

"No such thing job security"

Former Employee - Cargo Customer Service Agent in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Cargo Customer Service Agent in Boston, MA

I worked at Delta Air Lines full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Flight benefits. But make sure it is done in low season.

Cons

No union, chronic crony system of promoting. Most gay people would succeed.

Advice to Management

Please stop pretending that you care about your employees and play politician.

"Great company but not worth the stress"

Former Employee - Reservation Specialist in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Reservation Specialist in Dallas, TX

I worked at Delta Air Lines full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flying benefits.- However, it is very hard to get on a plane out of DFW if you have no seniority and unless you travel during a week day at 5am.
    Paid Holidays & 41K
    Company is great. Truly take care of their customers.
    Culture of the company is good as well.

Cons

Management is awful. They will put you out there and not much help is provided.
    They set you up for failure
    They put the fear of God on you if you have an emergency and have to miss work ONE day during training class
    Lot's of gossip and drama in the office environment.
    If you are a RES specialist, get ready for awful shifts (as the company runs by seniority) and also for VERY VERY VERY VERY stressful calls. This job made me hate people. You take the punches since you are the first point of contact.
    This position took a toll in my marriage, my health since my first 3 shifts were 8pm-4:30am with Tuesday and Wednesday off. My biological system was all messed up.
    So many people working those hours also advised me how your quality of life would be so poor, and it was so true.
    Also, many people there who had been with the company for a long time told me to leave because it would kill my marriage as they had said how IT killed theirs.
    I developed anxiety due to this job. If I had to miss work for something serious, I was so anxious at how it would be handled by management on the next day I showed up. They would pull you out of your station and give you this awful speech about how you would be fired or on a warning.
    AWFUL AWFUL AWFUL. Worse position I have ever had.
    The flying is only good if you do it international destinations, and good luck if you try to fly to Atlanta with a new seniority.
    Pay is low for all the stuff you have to do. After taxes are taken off, you have very little of income.
    The turnover for this position is HUGE!

"Ready Reserve"

Current Employee - Ready Reserve Above Wing in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Ready Reserve Above Wing in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Delta Air Lines part-time

Pros

Delta's "Rules of the Road" are the foundation for a great workplace- if only they were for all employees.
    Flight benefits that you can't use- impossible to get time off.
    Benefits for full time/benefited workers are good.
    Allowed to trade shifts, but difficult as always under staffed and overworked.

Cons

It is impossible to get time off. Ready Reserves work all holidays, all weekends This is normal in the airline industry, as scheduling is based on seniority, but being unable to ever drop shifts or get unpaid personal days is not. Any personal time (other than death in family) is usually denied in favor of a benefited full time employee. They get paid vacation time, at least twice a year and are able to have time off to use flight benefits.
    Ready Reserve is supposed to be a part time job, but we work 5 days a week just like benefited employees. Our shifts are 2 hours less than full time shifts. We are expected to have the same knowledge, skills, and responsibility as benefited employees. We are held to the same standards. Absolutely a 2nd class of workers.
    In Nashville, Ready Reserves are waiting as long as 7 years to be upgraded to benefited worker.

Advice to Management

Rules of the Road should be for all employees. The great reviews from JD Powers, etc, are based on benefited workers. Having a 2nd class of workers with no benefits pays for profit sharing. If Delta is unwilling to integrate Ready Reserves and have one team, instead of 2 classes of workers pitted against each other, at least require stations to have a part time work schedule with 3 days off, not 2. Give some kind of priority to "part time" workers for unpaid days off, several times a year (like a pass priority). At least find a way to allow Ready Reserves to have a chance to use flight benefits. Have better monitoring of stations, so you really know what is going on. It's terrible to see how great Delta came be, and know that you have put in years, and it's not for you.

"dfw reservations agent-not what it used to be"

Current Employee - Reservations Agent in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Reservations Agent in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Delta Air Lines full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

benefits, paid time off, good wage, travel around the world

Cons

Forced mandatory overtime frequently now

Headquarters and HUB is located in Georgia, which holds the record for the most tornadoes and bad weather which leads to many delays and cancelled flights

Delta keeps dumping more work loads on agents because so many left recently due to dissatisfaction with job

back to back calls for hours on end. no option to perhaps respond to customer emails as a break

OUTDATED TECHNOLOGY OLD COMPUTERS while they waste money on other expenses

work at home agents are docked $260 a month to work at home

so many people left that we can't used our paid personal time when we feel like anymore. People were so burnt out with the job that they were using it all up the first week it came out.

nasty mean snide callers all day long angry about delta's policies like $200 change fees so they take it out on you all day long and you have to just take it.

you can't be 1 second over your break time or your stats won't meet

you will be given no choice as to the job you do because Delta will eventually make you do it anyways(online support, premium sales calls, manual reissues, etc)

Delta allows medallion members to buy their status at the end of the year so now there's so many of them that it's back to back premium sales calls and most of them are mean so it makes you really hate your job

To top it all off there's a survey at the end of your call where people can be extra mean and leave comments about you just to demoralize you some more

JD Powers is now running Delta

The only awesome department they had was the fraud department but they messed that up by putting incompetent people in charge of it therefore it failed

dental plan stopped covering adult orthodontics

I'm going on over 10 years now and can still only hold an early morning shift with weekdays off off which is a drag. You'll never get a good shift because all the baby boomers are hanging on. Seriously...11 years and can't get weekends off

Advice to Management

kick JD Powers to the curb. Profits are great but it's not everything. Excellent pay is awesome but it doesn't make people love their job when they're overworked and forced to take the brunt of constant complaints and added work loads. Give people some time between calls and you'll find they will actually take more calls and be happier employees. Have specialized work groups again. Employees are very dissatisfied with current VP. Critical Call Hours are happening every month now it seems. You don't respect my personal time and force me to do overtime. All that makes for unhappy employees who will eventually seek other employment.

Delta Air Lines Response

May 21, 2017 – Talent Acquisition

Dear ‘DFW Reservations Agent’ - I read your comments with great interest and have shared with our Reservations, Customer Care and Digital Engagement leaders. As a current employee, I urge you to... More

"No Longer the same company of Integrity, Morale and Values"

I worked at Delta Air Lines full-time

Pros

The employees are still a family and very close at the individual contributor level; The annual block parties are pretty nice; The annual profit share is a plus; the community service is a plus, but employees should be given the opportunity to have some volunteer hours on company time since the company receives all the positive PR for the hard work and financial contributions it has made.

Cons

The flight benefits are not very beneficial at all, so be prepared to purchase your tickets with all the profit share you receive; It's very much still a good old boy system, not very easy to move up or around the company unless you have a strong network; they don't value their loyal employees like they use to. Just recently let go of employees with 20+ years of service without offering them a retirement package, and the employees who were vested 10 years also go the shaft, but not being offered the lifetime flight benefits as promised when they were hired.

Advice to Management

Go back and make this year's lay offs right, offer the employees you "targeted" (per your leadership's words) the retirement benefits they deserve. What good is a company full of millennials if they have no adult supervision. We all know that experience, communication skills and education are valuable. Have you ever sat at the dinner table with a millennial? How much conversation did you get out of them? Is that really what Delta wants? I believe the targeted layoffs which began late 2016 and are still continuing are very unfair and poorly decided and for that divisions will suffer because of the years of experience you forced to leave without an option to retire or return as a consultant. Many fortune 500 companies allow their employees a limited amount of hours to put in as volunteer time that doesn't count against their personal leave, Delta should consider doing the same since after all, it is Delta who gains all the credit.

"Good Benefits, Ancient Work Culture"

Former Employee - Engineering Co-Op in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Engineering Co-Op in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Delta Air Lines (More than a year)

Pros

Flight benefits are excellent, and the brand will help you get work experience elsewhere.

Cons

Seniority based promotion, especially on the technical side of the business, creates a stagnant work culture ran mostly by 55-year-old white guys who barely know how to work Microsoft office. Not a place for independent thinkers.

Advice to Management

Make the company young. There is a ton of underutilized talent.

10. "Customer Service and Sales"

I worked at Delta Air Lines full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

flight benefits are pretty good.

Cons

Benefits are too expensive
    no room for advancement