Delta Air Lines Reviews | Glassdoor

Delta Air Lines Reviews

Updated February 20, 2017

Pros
  • Flight benefits are a major plus if you enjoy seeing the world (in 313 reviews)

• This job had great travel benefits with hard working people passionate about the airline industry (in 148 reviews)

Cons
  • You have to be a certain kind of person to be able to develop a work/ life balance that works for you (in 36 reviews)

• It's hard to transition from a co-op to a full time positions (in 75 reviews)

1. "Aircraft Maintenance Technician"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Delta Air Lines full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great starting salary + travel benefits

Cons

Expensive health insurance, nothing else

2. "It's A Lifestyle"

I have been working at Delta Air Lines full-time

Pros

One of the most stress-free, easy jobs there is. The pay starts off great and gets better the longer you stay, I've been working for almost 2 years and I've already received 3 company raises. EXTREMELY flexible. Benefits are great. You travel the world for a living, not much to complain about. Once you start they make it extremely difficult to leave. And if you choose to leave, you'll most likely regret it.

Cons

Sigh, I've contemplated leaving the company simply because I miss out on sooooo many big moments. Working holidays, family gatherings, birthdays, graduations etc. it can get discouraging at times. You can make as much or as little as you want with the company. But you'll either have a great work life or a great social life... one or the other will most likely suffer. Maintaining relationships can get difficult (I did it but it's tough). If you have small children or are really family oriented this probably isn't the right fit for you. If your single with no children and no spouse. This job is perfect. The other con is ironically the traveling. You can become jaded, and I find that traveling isn't that exciting if I don't have the people I love with me to share the moment or make the memory with.

Advice to Management

Fix the sick policy. They expect us to never call in sick especially when you first start the job. Doctors note or not, it's always an issue for me.

"Delta Air Lines (Contractor)"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Atlanta, GA
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Delta Air Lines as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Opportunities for training, travel, and real-world application of learned knowledge and skills. Initial training involved a 2 week orientation of Delta systems. Continuation training was provided as we were introduced to new systems. Travel opportunities to various cities were available to establish face-to-face relationships with the customers on the other end of the computer. It's an awesome company to work for as a full-time employee, with bonuses and stock options.

Cons

Many company events were for full-time employees only, but emails were sent out to everyone, isolating contractors. If you worked graveyard shift (7pm-5am) by yourself and an all department pot luck happened during the day, you'll end up celebrating by yourself with whatever you brought in and cold left overs. Moving to a full-time position was contingent on openings and your established relationships with higher management. As a contractor, you hear all about the bonuses, but are not eligible to receive them.

Advice to Management

My advice to management is to have a Delta employee only events be sent to only Delta employees and not everyone. This can be accomplished by having an employee distro list and a contractor distro list. Also, don't forget the people who work graveyard shift. Try to treat contractors equally, they are as much part of the team as full-time employees.

"A Fine Airline"

Current Employee - Specialist in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Specialist in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Delta Air Lines full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

It's been a real journey the past 10 years or so, but I like where the company is now. Generally interesting work and smart, skilled coworkers. Good hours. Everyone should be applying who is qualified as the decent salaries and flight benefits really make the job worthwhile. Really enjoy the respect people have for Delta Air Lines.

Cons

Health benefits are not great, and the premiums and deductibles go up every year. Mass layoffs occur every 4-5 years, if not more frequently. It's best to be in a department that is essential to the company and to keep your nose to the grindstone so you aren't "selected". Working in corporate is not for the faint of heart, so those desiring fewer cliffhangers in their career may want to look on the operational side of the company.

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on D0 and ensuring we stay ahead of the game in terms of hard and soft product. People actually want to fly us now, and it creates a positive halo effect for employees.

6. "Lots of upside, but money isn't there for several years"

Former Employee - Global Ticketing Support in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Global Ticketing Support in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Delta Air Lines (More than a year)

Pros

Free flights, profit sharing, challenging work, diverse employees

Cons

Solitary work, low initial compensation

Advice to Management

Perception of favoritism is rampant, middle management decisions frequently suspect.

7. "It's a pretty good place to work"

Current Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Great culture of servant leadership, the airline industry is highly dynamic and exciting, and Delta is arguably among the best in the world at it.

Cons

Bureaucratic, upper management operates in a very top-down way relative to some, the work environment is dated, though they are investing to improve that.

8. "Business Analyst"

Former Intern - Business Analyst in Eagan, MN
    Former Intern - Business Analyst in Eagan, MN

I worked at Delta Air Lines as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Flight benefits were great, although flying standby can be problematic at times. Encouraged to take advantage of flight benefits by managers and other employees. Very strong culture. A feeling that your contributions will make a real difference in customers' travel experience.

Cons

Acronym heavy work environment with complex relationships between departments. Sometimes finding the answer to a given question is difficult.

Advice to Management

A book of acronyms that are commonly used freely by employees would be very helpful to new hires.

9. "Developer"

I worked at Delta Air Lines full-time

Pros

Very good pay and benefits.

Cons

Lack of career development opp

10. "flight attendant"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Delta Air Lines full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

good job good pay good people

Cons

low pay long hours benifits

11. "CSA"

Pros

Flex schedule, travel and medical benefits. Can work full time or part time. Travel the world and have fun at work.

Cons

Flex schedule, Ready reserve program, low starting wage, no medical benefits until you make a full time employee. Hiring process takes months.

Advice to Management

A great place to work

Showing 491 of 1,611 reviews