Deluxe Corporation Reviews in Lenexa, KS | Glassdoor

Deluxe Corporation CEO Lee J. Schram
Lee J. Schram

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Sometimes upper management tried to implement changes without understanding the impact that it would have to various parts of the company (in 12 reviews)

• It is really a good place to work, a good job to get your foot in the door for customer service and troubleshooting (in 9 reviews)

1. "Technical Support Agent"

Former Employee - Technical Support Agent in Lenexa, KS
    Former Employee - Technical Support Agent in Lenexa, KS

I worked at Deluxe Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great communication between team members and middle management. Positive atmosphere. Great employee culture. It really felt like the team was designed to make you better at your job.

Cons

Unreasonable goals for employees, low pay, and lack of upwards mobility.

"Press operator 1"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lenexa, KS
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lenexa, KS

I have been working at Deluxe Corporation full-time

Pros

Benefits, good co workers, decent pay for what we do.

Cons

Short breaks two 15's so your always tired. Get ready to do the job of 3 people.

Advice to Management

Don't talk down to grown adults. Give us longer breaks.

"material handler"

Former Employee - Materials Handler in Lenexa, KS
    Former Employee - Materials Handler in Lenexa, KS

I worked at Deluxe Corporation (More than 10 years)

Pros

The benefits are Great and start on your first day!

Cons

There are really no cons

"Senior Sales & Marketing Consultant"

Current Employee - Senior Sales & Marketing Consultant in Lenexa, KS
    Current Employee - Senior Sales & Marketing Consultant in Lenexa, KS

I have been working at Deluxe Corporation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I've grown personally and professionally in the last five years at Deluxe. It is a wonderful place to work and the people are fantastic.

Cons

There are no cons working here.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you do.

"Not sure why I thought working there was a good idea"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Lenexa, KS
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Lenexa, KS

I worked at Deluxe Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Only pro to working there is everyone knows Deluxe because of their checks, they basically invented the check and the check system. Management does actually care here at least and they have an open door policy.

Cons

The sales trainer should own the majority of Starbucks shares. He's so infatuated with Starbucks he'll take each training class to the local coffee shop to show Starbucks how dedicated of a loyal customer he is. Sales training is far too long, dry and boring. They don't train any selling techniques they just train you when to pitch products. Most reps there work for Amway on the side and have Amyway product loaded on their desks. the corp recruiter is also an Amyway rep Pay is very low $11-12/hr plus commissions, the commissions are minimal at best. The sales process is up-selling customers who call in to order checks, that's all it is. Try to sell extra crap like check book binders, pens, cups, calendars, website design, t-shirts, marketing materials etc. Its solely taking inbound calls one after another so you're chained to your desk. Micro-management is high. You can't control your business and sell like you want, that's why I left. Majority of sales reps are just customer service trolls, they couldn't sell water to a man on fire.

Advice to Management

Keep up good work with open door policy, good luck hiring and keeping top sales talent. Once they've figured out the mistake they made working there they quit.

"Sales"

Former Employee - Interactive Sales Representative in Lenexa, KS
    Former Employee - Interactive Sales Representative in Lenexa, KS

I worked at Deluxe Corporation (More than a year)

Pros

there were no pros in this company

Cons

Management is horriable and should be fired

Advice to Management

Start over

"Business is great; Social Team department is a mess"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lenexa, KS
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lenexa, KS

I worked at Deluxe Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The benefits are really great. Health, vision, dental, 401(k), etc.

PTO accrual starts immediately upon hire date (at least mine did).

There is an on-site cafe, which makes planning for lunch very convenient with friendly staff.

Cons

I would say there is a relatively high turnover rate, especially regarding those who would truly benefit the department. During my short time here, I've watched good, hard working people with brilliant ideas regarding how to improve processes, etc. get passed up for promotions. I even watched one member of our department get hired on only for there to be no work for him to perform. He left a month or two after he was hired, and they still had no work for him.

Additionally, if you are someone who likes to separate work from personal life, this culture is not for you. They try waaay too hard to force the department to be a "family". As a result, to be independent from the group in any way is social - and therefore, career - suicide, at least in the social media team department. If you don't force yourself to be a gossip or attend a monthly potluck or an after-work happy hour, you'll be subject to dirty looks, petty remarks, certain members of management will purposefully withhold necessary info from you about how to do your job and you will struggle.

Common courtesy and mutual respect are lost causes. At least 40% of the job is being on the phone. I had several times when I was on the phone with a client and I could barely hear what he/she was saying because the social team was too busy laughing or having an extremely loud conversation, which most of the time had nothing to do with work.

**A few more key highlights from my experience:**

Overall communication is a mess. Leadership is clueless regarding how to manage people effectively. Current in-house management could truly benefit from some leadership training courses. Truly.

Disturbingly, necessary info regarding how to do/improve my job function was often intentionally withheld.

The open-concept office leaves the atmosphere wide open for no real privacy in communication. Introverts or those who just value concentration without being interrupted by peoples' loud conversations need not apply.

Bullying and office politics tend to trump good ideas and repel the talent needed to move the department forward.

Passive aggression overwhelms the work environment.

Expect that by your first day, as a group, they will have looked you up on social media and made fun of your pictures; When we hired our first website coordinators, several members of the team stood gathered around one person's computer, laughed and made fun of the way the new hires looked.

Senior in-house leadership left to pursue another opportunity with another company 6 mos. after I came on the team. Four months later, a senior manager still hadn't been hired, with no real promise of even being close to hiring a candidate.

Advice to Management

I would highly recommend an intensive, ongoing leadership program for the in-house management in the Lenexa location.

Living out-of-state from the company you're hiring for makes it incredibly difficult to know/assess someone's capabilities to perform a job well - And I realize a certain amount of it is left up to word-of-mouth. I might encourage that before making any other hiring/promoting decisions, at least plan a trip out to really get to know the people in this office, especially since they are without central, senior leadership in the office.

Culture trickles down, and currently there is a culture of fear and distrust.

"Deluxe is a good Company to work for. Their focus is more on the bottom line vs employees"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Lenexa, KS
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Lenexa, KS

Pros

The insurance and benefit package is good, and they do move people up through the ranks.

Cons

Starting pay is low for a major corporation, they do show favoritism. While most jobs are posted a lot of them are not. People don't have equal access to bid on jobs.

Advice to Management

Follow the Golden rule !!

"Good job overall."

Current Employee - Technical Support in Lenexa, KS
    Current Employee - Technical Support in Lenexa, KS

I have been working at Deluxe Corporation full-time

Pros

Supervisors care about you instead of being just a number. 3 weeks of vacation, benefits from the start.

Cons

Sometimes understaffed which can be very stressful.

Advice to Management

More promotions

"The company needs improvement"

Current Employee - Customer Service in Lenexa, KS
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Lenexa, KS

I have been working at Deluxe Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Its a place to work and I guess if you want to stay in one position for the rest of your life then its a good place to be.

Cons

Long hours sitting on a phone talking to angry New Yorkers can get irritating

Advice to Management

The company needs to help its employees out more and give more chance to change and move up or more chances for raises.