Deluxe Corporation Reviews | Glassdoor

Deluxe Corporation CEO Lee J. Schram
Lee J. Schram

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Sometimes upper management tried to implement changes without understanding the impact that it would have to various parts of the company (in 12 reviews)

• It is really a good place to work, a good job to get your foot in the door for customer service and troubleshooting (in 9 reviews)

1. "awesome"

I have been working at Deluxe Corporation full-time

Pros

love the job and building my self

Cons

changes to the pay out and the fact that they want you to sell echecks that nobody wants to buy

Advice to Management

relax

"Inside Sales"

Former Employee - Inbound Sales Representative in Shoreview, MN
    Former Employee - Inbound Sales Representative in Shoreview, MN

I worked at Deluxe Corporation (Less than a year)

Pros

Great bunch of co-workers
    Good hours
    No micro managing

Cons

Bonuses hard to achieve kept raising the level every month
    Office is old and dirty, smells in some areas
    Vending machines expensive. Did have great canteen but replaced with machines

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees and implement their suggestions

"Ok company to work for"

Former Employee - QA Analyst in Shoreview, MN
    Former Employee - QA Analyst in Shoreview, MN

I worked at Deluxe Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good benefits and pay. They allow working from home. Nice cafeteria. Very good medical, dental insurance and the price for it is excellent

Cons

Micromanagement. They play favoritism a lot. The QA department is a disaster. Many of the contractor developers left the company because disappointed by the department.

4. "Former employee"

Pros

Fellow workers were great. Company tried to be supportive of employees. During my time there, management changed a lot and level of support varied. Good benefits.

Cons

Sometimes upper management tried to implement changes without understanding the impact that it would have to various parts of the company.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to workers. They understand how things work. It's not always that they are resistant to change.

"Incompetent Declining Company"

I worked at Deluxe Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A few people I work with from time to time are pretty nice. There's a lot of wildlife nearby the location since it's near the woods.

Cons

Where to start??
    Deluxe has so many cons to it, so I am only going to list the major ones.
    Almost everyone I work with daily is completely incompetent. No one seems to understand how to use English properly to convey their messages so I am stuck trying to interpret what they mean. And trying to decipher emails is a joke. If you ask a question in an email, good luck getting an answer. You'll probably just get another question as a response and the question will have nothing to do with your original question.
    Most women end every sentence with an inflection so it sounds like they are asking a question when they aren't. No fault of their own though. If you are a woman at Deluxe and you are "perceived" to be rude then you are a horrible person in everyone's eyes. You must maintain the appearance and perception of being super nice and motherly. Speaking of motherly, if you don't have kids expect to treated differently. Your time no longer matters. You have zero responsibilities outside of work since you don't have kids so expect to work longer hours because of your life choices. Men don't have it easy either. They have to be nice but still firm. And into sports.
    People will try to sell you things at work. Many people there cannot afford to live on the measly pay they get and have been sucked into pyramid schemes in order to make ends meet. You feel guilty not buying stuff from your coworkers but you can barely afford your own rent.
    HR is completely incompetent and doesn't give a crap about you. You tell them something important or time sensitive and they act like you just said "what's up?" And they do not understand their job is very private. Don't leave employees personal files out when you're meeting with a different employee.
    Do you like food? If so, bring your own. Their idea of a cafeteria is gas station food. No real food anymore. Prepackaged food like items to consume at extremely high prices. Who would pay $8 for packaged soup?! I can get soup cheaper at Walmart.
    And if you don't like being micromanaged, don't work here. Your boss will be on you all the time. I get they have metrics to meet, but if I'm sick and can't afford to take a sick day because I don't want to use PTO, don't get mad because I had to use the restroom more often that day. Yes, I know my adherence was off but I don't care. I cared more about not vomiting in front of my coworkers or on the phone with a customer. Next time, I will not be so courteous.
    And if you want a place to advance your career, look somewhere else. They act like you can advance quickly. Even the trainers say they advanced quickly but they must be a fluke. Most people make lateral moves not getting much, if any, of a raise. And they now have these extra jobs you can do which will provide more OJT for more experience. Like onboarding mentor. Really?! You don't pay more but expect me to do more.
    Also a very unethical company. Will punish people for being out sick even though you're not supposed to do that. Will fire people for not showing up for work because they were in the hospital.

Advice to Management

Stop paying the CEO millions of dollars each year. Stop paying the higher ups (VP and such) so much money. Maybe you could use that extra money to actually improve the moral of your employees. There is no fun at work anymore. I used to enjoy coming into work and after a couple years I just felt like I was slave.
    Also, fire everyone who is VP level and up and get new blood in the door. People who are either younger, know how profitable businesses work, or both. There are too many people who are stuck in the 80's way of running a business and just read books on how to improve things. Books aren't going to get you to where you need to be. Take action. Make a big change.

"High Pressure and Fear Tactics are the Culture Here"

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Shoreview, MN
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Shoreview, MN

I have been working at Deluxe Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits. Large, well-maintained parking lot

Cons

Deluxe has resorted to publicly humiliating struggling employees in a centrally located "Pod", where everyone walks by. It's basically where they send you before they fire you. Deluxe coaches are now telling sales employees to be aggressive and to make the customer feel guilty if they do not place an order. Sales goals are becoming increasingly difficult, and expectations are becoming unreasonable.

Deluxe used to have a rewards-based, positive culture, but has shifted radically to a pressure and fear-based culture. A new site leader was brought on at one of the sites in Minnesota, and his background is debt collection. Keep in mind he is now in charge of a sales center, and he has sent out many threatening emails telling us that he "doesn't do nice", and how we've received our "fair warning".

Employees are told that they are replaceable and they will find someone else sitting at their desk if they do not perform at the constantly increasing standards.

It's no surprise that attrition is out-of-control at Deluxe.

They used to have a cafeteria with freshly-prepared meals to order, and a great salad bar, and have closed it. Deluxe does not feel that it's employees deserve a decent, affordable meal.

The high stress has caused some employees to develop stress-related medical conditions. No job is worth sacrificing your health for.

The promise of advancement is an illusion. What Deluxe calls a promotion often means more responsibility at the same rate of pay.

Stay away, you can find a company who respects and values it's people. Deluxe is borderline unethical in it's treatment of it's employees. Deluxe has created the most toxic work environment I have ever been in.

Advice to Management

It's not too late to fix this, but it ALL has to change. The fear and threats need to go.

7. "Customer service/Sales"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at Deluxe Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits , good working conditions . career opportunities , job security

Cons

difficult to feel part of the team, low salary

Advice to Management

Don't be so aloof from the employees, get off the pedestal, and encourage others for advancement

"Good Place to Work!"

Current Employee - Website Coordinator in Shoreview, MN
    Current Employee - Website Coordinator in Shoreview, MN

I have been working at Deluxe Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, awesome job facilities and a strong, supportive HR department make Deluxe a good place to work.

Cons

Management is emerging from a long period of institutional calcification, but it's still pretty restrictive without much rise-from-within opportunities. Also, part of that heritage of calcification includes a very competitive, us-vs.-them mentality between departments, which makes multi-team projects across various departments rather difficult.

Advice to Management

Keep moving in the direction of inclusivity and recognizing the important of multi-departmental cooperation. Also, keep recognizing employees for their contributions and sharing the vision for the path forward!

9. "Deluxe"

Former Employee - Software Developer in Boca Raton, FL
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Boca Raton, FL

I worked at Deluxe Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The place is decorated well . Has free lunches occasionally. Deluxe culture over all is ok . The problem is translating that to newly acquired companies.Destination rewards had bad management to begin with

Cons

Deluxe Rewards formerly destination rewards had bad management to begin with . Now in order to make this new company perform they did not remove new management. It's an environment filled with toxic people who are busy back biting people in order to get ahead in the product development department .

Advice to Management

Start taking care or employee complains. Toxic work environment is not taken care of by having meetings.

"I don't hate my job"

Current Employee - Sales in Kansas City, KS
    Current Employee - Sales in Kansas City, KS

I have been working at Deluxe Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great PTO package.
    Pay is good in my area.
    People are generally laid back and understanding.
    Coworkers are generally nice to be around.

Cons

Company structure, specifically management.
    Ego's run day to day decisions and that becomes a massive problem.
    It's actually amazing how little accountability managers want to have, less they get fired. I've seen managers talk about things, one will ask the other a yes/no question and the other manager will just flat refuse to take a side on the issue for fear of the consequences. This rarely makes it below management but it's got to be killing the managers and will ultimately trickle down.

Advice to Management

It's better to stand up to the people above you and look for a new job than it is to be spineless and shift blame constantly. That's the only advice I could give, if anyone bothered to do this it wouldn't take long to fix long standing issues.