Deluxe Corporation Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Deluxe Corporation CEO Lee J. Schram
Lee J. Schram

Pros
  • Great people, wonderful culture, great work life balance (in 26 reviews)

• Wonderful employees, good benefits all team players (in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • Only the upper management fares well (in 10 reviews)

• It is really a good place to work, a good job to get your foot in the door for customer service and troubleshooting (in 9 reviews)

1. "Deluxe Rating"

I have been working at Deluxe Corporation full-time

Pros

Large company, ESPP, 401k (though they don't match all employees)

Cons

Even though we are a Deluxe employee we do not receive all the same benefits as other Deluxe employees - they keep certain employees separate and do not provide same benefits across the board.

Advice to Management

Encourage the corporation to make all employees equal and receive same benefits.

"Laid off"

Former Employee - Product Manager
    Former Employee - Product Manager

I worked at Deluxe Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Close to home for me

Cons

Company is in a down-spiral (people don't write checks anymore). Cutting many jobs each year to compensate.

"DON'T WORK HERE"

Current Employee - Composition in Groton, MA
    Current Employee - Composition in Groton, MA

I have been working at Deluxe Corporation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The job itself is not difficult when you get the hang of it. In Composition, anyway.

Cons

The major goal that seems to define the decisions of upper management is, "What can we implement or take away next to slide the knife a little deeper into the backs of our employees?"

If you work harder, you get punished. There is no such thing as recognition here. Our stats are based on one single type of work, despite the fact that there are many other types of work here. If you take on the responsibility of other types of work that NEED to get done, then you get behind in the regular type of work, and that's the only thing they count. They don't count any other kind of work on your stats. But now you're stuck doing this extra work because they just keep giving it to you to do. So your stats suffer.

It seems like at least once month, they take away some little thing we all enjoyed and implement something that further restricts or oppresses us.

They don't care about you. All you are is an extension of the computer. You're not a human with rights and feelings and needs and lives outside of the office. You don't have other priorities in life. If you need to change your hours because you need to pick up your kid from school, too bad.

They have zero consideration for difficult circumstances. You either work the hours or you don't work here. They are unwilling to make any changes in regards to work stations and the quality of the work environment. We have a bunch of older women in here coughing and dying and they won't fix the air quality.

The insurance is a joke. There's no such thing as a 'promotion'. There's no upward momentum. The pay is pathetic and unsustainable. Our annual 'raises' NEVER exceed a dollar. They ask us to work with out-of-date systems and work impossible magic because they refuse to understand what we even do here.

My advice to anyone looking to apply for a job at Deluxe Corporation is: Don't. Just don't. You will regret it.

Advice to Management

Try imagining your employees as human beings and adults. We aren't children, we aren't machines. We have rights and needs. ASK US what we need and LISTEN when we tell you. We perceive you as cold-blooded and imbecilic. Try having a heart. Try learning exactly what we do here so you don't ask us to do the impossible. Try improving the work environment.
    Unhappy employees are unproductive. You wouldn't have to hire so many temps if you made your current employees happy. If we were happy, we could focus and our ability to be productive would be multiplied tenfold.

"Sales"

I worked at Deluxe Corporation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits were very generous- culture is professional.

Cons

Company has no direction- they are in a transformation stage with leaders that are floundering.

Advice to Management

Leave

"Deluxe reviw"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Shoreview, MN

Pros

Good benefits, generous bonus program. strong financially. has successfully reinvented themselves

Cons

CEO is losing his hard and needs a transplant. some managers have died but are actually still on the job collecting a check

Advice to Management

Management must quite being afraid of the CEO, who is slightly built and again, going bald. Time to replace him

"Terrible Sales Environment"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Kansas City, KS
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Kansas City, KS

I worked at Deluxe Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good training. No cold calling, which was actually a great. If you're there are the right time moving up the ladder could be possible

Cons

Management is running this 1billion dollar company to the ground. The sales environment is extremely toxic and reps are always stealing leads from each other. That's nothing new and happens everywhere but the problem is that management seems to not care. They run this sales team the old-school way and will not adapt since the mangers have been there for many years. Salesforce support is also terrible. To finish it off all their marketing not solutions are a joke compared to other companies. Good luck having the designer, web developer, or fulfillment person process the order without any issues. The amount of things that go wrong after the sell is unbelievable so customer retention ( one of the most important factors in sales) is really low.

Advice to Management

A toxic sales environment will never allow your department to grow

"Custom Art Department"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Shoreview, MN

I worked at Deluxe Corporation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Easy technical stuff, ability to throw on headphones and tune out everything around you

Cons

Struggling company, mgmt doesn't know a thing about your actual job, constant increases in responsibility without support or compensation, more and more focus on outsourcing, terrible benefits package, and the morale is so low that everybody in your department is trying to get everyone else in trouble constantly. the emotional climate is toxic and as time goes on, more and more negativity seeps in. pay is a good $10/hr lower than the starting pay for the same job within successful companies. also management and hr will not respond with even the slightest action over racism being reported.

Advice to Management

i have none. they know what's going on and like most people i think they're just waiting out a layoff.

9. "Bad place for IT talent"

Former Contractor - Software Engineer
    Former Contractor - Software Engineer

I worked at Deluxe Corporation as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

I believe they have some very talented people in technical positions but management does not listen to their feedback or ideas

Cons

From the perspective of an IT person, this is the worst company I have worked for so far. Their traditional source of revenue -paper checks- is clearly in decline, and this has forced them to step into other types of businesses like hosting and digital media. Despite this, they have absolutely no vision for technology and no idea how to strategically leverage it to grow their business. There is no innovation, instead, it feels like they are going above and beyond to preserve the 'status quo'. Their management tactics are outdated and ineffective, management basically wants to make the different units of the company "compete against each other".

On a more administrative level things are not better. They do not care about the companies they acquire or do business with, and they also do not care about their employees at all, more so, if they are contractors.

Advice to Management

Question, rethink and refresh the way things are done. Maybe bring some young people to management for new ideas.

"Too Many Chefs in One Kitchen"

I worked at Deluxe Corporation (More than a year)

Pros

Fast moving with a lot of challenges every day. Enjoyed working with the team, despite the turnover.

Cons

The budgets in paid search were impractical, too many people assigned for a single duty. And they were behind on modern practices, requiring the use of Excel for pivot tables, sumifs, etc. The work was just too intense sometimes and the management was never happy with the work you put into it.

Advice to Management

Listen to the professionals that you hire. If you hire someone for SEO or SEM and they are certified, they probably know a little more than you. Just saying.

11. "Lots of layoffs"

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Shoreview, MN
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Shoreview, MN

I worked at Deluxe Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is not much positive because they have no clue what they are doing. The benefits is semi good but it is expensive.

Cons

It is a white women's club and they make a lots of mistakes but still get to keep their jobs.

Advice to Management

Hire more men