Deluxe Corporation Reviews | Glassdoor

Deluxe Corporation CEO Lee J. Schram
Lee J. Schram

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • High turnover rate, most employes have less than 2-year tenure (in 9 reviews)

• Sometimes upper management tried to implement changes without understanding the impact that it would have to various parts of the company (in 13 reviews)

"Boca Deluxe office"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boca Raton, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boca Raton, FL

I worked at Deluxe Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pro is they had a good company that they acquired where everyone did well .
    The product was good and team very good .got lot of work done based on client requirements. No pro after acquisition.

Cons

New management brought fear based management . Everyone is made to compete under stress. Forced to work overtime and they imply you need to work from home . Now they promoting everyone just to make sure they not leave. Which results in incompetent people being paid more just so that they don't leave. Trend is if someone leaves the ones left over get miraculously promoted .management in the location is abusive and yells when some makes suggestions

Advice to Management

Get rid of existing team leads / managers and directors . No value and input except they will agree with anything the management in Atlanta says

"When passion dies apathy thrives!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Deluxe Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work with really creative people who are passionate about innovation. Compensation is good.

Cons

Management will not enforce the overall vision of future growth. Employees, who were once passionate become apathetic. High turnover rate, most employes have less than 2-year tenure.

Advice to Management

Enforce your policies consistently and listen to employee feedback.

"A Culture Of Unprofessionalism"

Former Employee - Quality Assurance Analyst in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Quality Assurance Analyst in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Deluxe Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good Pay and Benefits package

Cons

The Atlanta office is a model of unprofessionalism. A common mode of communication is "yelling"! This behavior is the norm for the Bankers Dashboard team & is exhibited by development, the business analyst as well as supervisors. The only group held accountable is the QA team. Poorly written business requirements\acceptance criteria are common practice and when you seek clarification you are vilified. This was the single worst experience in my 25 years of working in corporate America. As a person of color I have never had a manager tell me using the rest room during a 4-5 hour sprint ceremonies gave the impression I was disengaged & not concerned with my job. When my White peers used the restroom the same conclusions were not drawn. Upper management can’t see the forest for the trees as they think the extremely high turnover rate is normal for software development.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring your friends & conduct business like professionals. All teams need to be held accountable.

"Sr Engineer"

Former Employee - Senior Developer
    Former Employee - Senior Developer

I worked at Deluxe Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good for developers who are looking for growth & experience.

There are a variety of technologies and products that developers can access and work on.

There are some great developers who you could have a chance to work with and improve your skills.

Company is not bad at supporting the dev team for their skill advancements. There are some nice people that might help you enjoy working.

Cons

There are way too many layers of managers. The pyramids in Cairo might have less steps to the top. Many acquisitions are the main cause to this.

They acquire a company to lift their yearly revenue for the current year, new managers come with it, invent new titles for them and keep looking for another company to acquire.

I reported to a manager (micro won't define his way of management, need a new word in English for that), he reported to another, and he reported to another, and another. Still haven't reached to the VP level yet. You get it? When you need something, ask your manager, he asks his, and he asks his. This keeps going all the way to the top. Lost in translation eventually.

No manager really does anything or make a decision. You are on your own in your team. If you are lucky and have a nice team, your life might be good. As long as the useless managers aren't around all the time.

Many of the managers have no clue about anything. My manager didn't know the product he was managing. Any time his manager asks him something, he asks the team, then paraphrases with his awesome English and forwards one layer above. He was getting paid 6-digits for forwarding emails and micro-hell-dismotivate his team.

As long as you agree with one layer up and agree even more with a 32-teeth-smile on your face, your salary keeps coming.

If you are a developer and starting your career, I can recommend this place. But again, if you are a starter, I can recommend anywhere to write code and learn business. Other than that, stay away.

Advice to Management

Fire at least half of the useless/harmful layers of management.

Don't dictate your thoughts all the way to the down.

Don't be scared of diversity.

Let people talk, allow them to change the things you're doing terribly wrong.

Stop favoring/hiring buddies and promoting them regularly. People should grow with their skillsand works not with their relationships with the managers.

"Incompetent Declining Company"

I worked at Deluxe Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A few people I work with from time to time are pretty nice. There's a lot of wildlife nearby the location since it's near the woods.

Cons

Where to start??
    Deluxe has so many cons to it, so I am only going to list the major ones.
    Almost everyone I work with daily is completely incompetent. No one seems to understand how to use English properly to convey their messages so I am stuck trying to interpret what they mean. And trying to decipher emails is a joke. If you ask a question in an email, good luck getting an answer. You'll probably just get another question as a response and the question will have nothing to do with your original question.
    Most women end every sentence with an inflection so it sounds like they are asking a question when they aren't. No fault of their own though. If you are a woman at Deluxe and you are "perceived" to be rude then you are a horrible person in everyone's eyes. You must maintain the appearance and perception of being super nice and motherly. Speaking of motherly, if you don't have kids expect to treated differently. Your time no longer matters. You have zero responsibilities outside of work since you don't have kids so expect to work longer hours because of your life choices. Men don't have it easy either. They have to be nice but still firm. And into sports.
    People will try to sell you things at work. Many people there cannot afford to live on the measly pay they get and have been sucked into pyramid schemes in order to make ends meet. You feel guilty not buying stuff from your coworkers but you can barely afford your own rent.
    HR is completely incompetent and doesn't give a crap about you. You tell them something important or time sensitive and they act like you just said "what's up?" And they do not understand their job is very private. Don't leave employees personal files out when you're meeting with a different employee.
    Do you like food? If so, bring your own. Their idea of a cafeteria is gas station food. No real food anymore. Prepackaged food like items to consume at extremely high prices. Who would pay $8 for packaged soup?! I can get soup cheaper at Walmart.
    And if you don't like being micromanaged, don't work here. Your boss will be on you all the time. I get they have metrics to meet, but if I'm sick and can't afford to take a sick day because I don't want to use PTO, don't get mad because I had to use the restroom more often that day. Yes, I know my adherence was off but I don't care. I cared more about not vomiting in front of my coworkers or on the phone with a customer. Next time, I will not be so courteous.
    And if you want a place to advance your career, look somewhere else. They act like you can advance quickly. Even the trainers say they advanced quickly but they must be a fluke. Most people make lateral moves not getting much, if any, of a raise. And they now have these extra jobs you can do which will provide more OJT for more experience. Like onboarding mentor. Really?! You don't pay more but expect me to do more.
    Also a very unethical company. Will punish people for being out sick even though you're not supposed to do that. Will fire people for not showing up for work because they were in the hospital.

Advice to Management

Stop paying the CEO millions of dollars each year. Stop paying the higher ups (VP and such) so much money. Maybe you could use that extra money to actually improve the moral of your employees. There is no fun at work anymore. I used to enjoy coming into work and after a couple years I just felt like I was slave.
    Also, fire everyone who is VP level and up and get new blood in the door. People who are either younger, know how profitable businesses work, or both. There are too many people who are stuck in the 80's way of running a business and just read books on how to improve things. Books aren't going to get you to where you need to be. Take action. Make a big change.

"High Pressure and Fear Tactics are the Culture Here"

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Shoreview, MN
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Shoreview, MN

I have been working at Deluxe Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits. Large, well-maintained parking lot

Cons

Deluxe has resorted to publicly humiliating struggling employees in a centrally located "Pod", where everyone walks by. It's basically where they send you before they fire you. Deluxe coaches are now telling sales employees to be aggressive and to make the customer feel guilty if they do not place an order. Sales goals are becoming increasingly difficult, and expectations are becoming unreasonable.

Deluxe used to have a rewards-based, positive culture, but has shifted radically to a pressure and fear-based culture. A new site leader was brought on at one of the sites in Minnesota, and his background is debt collection. Keep in mind he is now in charge of a sales center, and he has sent out many threatening emails telling us that he "doesn't do nice", and how we've received our "fair warning".

Employees are told that they are replaceable and they will find someone else sitting at their desk if they do not perform at the constantly increasing standards.

It's no surprise that attrition is out-of-control at Deluxe.

They used to have a cafeteria with freshly-prepared meals to order, and a great salad bar, and have closed it. Deluxe does not feel that it's employees deserve a decent, affordable meal.

The high stress has caused some employees to develop stress-related medical conditions. No job is worth sacrificing your health for.

The promise of advancement is an illusion. What Deluxe calls a promotion often means more responsibility at the same rate of pay.

Stay away, you can find a company who respects and values it's people. Deluxe is borderline unethical in it's treatment of it's employees. Deluxe has created the most toxic work environment I have ever been in.

Advice to Management

It's not too late to fix this, but it ALL has to change. The fear and threats need to go.

"The Worst Place To Work"

Former Employee - SMB Account Manager in Draper, UT
    Former Employee - SMB Account Manager in Draper, UT

I worked at Deluxe Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I was able to get experience in PPC.

Cons

- The made countless promised to me that they couldn't keep. I was overworked doing crap work, because that is all they do for their clients. The whole purpose of the company was to build a money maker so they could sell off. Which is what they did. They give poor service and only care about their bottom line.

Advice to Management

Shut down the company and go do something honest and worthwhile with your life.

"Unhealthy environment"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Deluxe Corporation as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

My immediate peers were very nice people.

Cons

From my experience, working there as an intern in computer science, this company has – unfortunately – a very unhealthy structure, where business units are very competitive (between each other), don't share resources and don't even work with each other.

Advice to Management

Please value your employees more and try to have business units work together instead of putting roadblocks into each other's way.

Also please understand that technology evolves differently than print products.

"IT Business Analyst"

Former Employee - IT Business Analyst in Shoreview, MN
    Former Employee - IT Business Analyst in Shoreview, MN

I worked at Deluxe Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

1) They have a ping-pong table

Cons

1) Terrible management/leadership
    2) Do not expect to speak with people who are excited about latest innovations
    3) Waterfall mindset- it lingers and clings on like a parasite
    4) People yelling everyday becomes the norm, very unprofessional
    5) They are all about the revenue and less the customer
    6) Still using deprecated technologies and business lack of commitment to even purchase a test environment
    7) Their automation efforts are sub-par
    8) Very political company, a lot of silos throughout the org.
    9) Employees resitant to change
    10) Don't waste your time

Advice to Management

Good luck on your journey.

10. "Deluxe Rating"

I have been working at Deluxe Corporation full-time

Pros

Large company, ESPP, 401k (though they don't match all employees)

Cons

Even though we are a Deluxe employee we do not receive all the same benefits as other Deluxe employees - they keep certain employees separate and do not provide same benefits across the board.

Advice to Management

Encourage the corporation to make all employees equal and receive same benefits.