Deluxe Corporation Reviews | Glassdoor

Deluxe Corporation CEO Lee J. Schram
Lee J. Schram

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • High turnover rate, most employes have less than 2-year tenure (in 9 reviews)

• Sometimes upper management tried to implement changes without understanding the impact that it would have to various parts of the company (in 13 reviews)

1. "Great people - - - lousy management"

Pros

Employees are trying their best to be successful. Great intentioned individuals. Good benefits. Good time off. Good location. A lot of variety in activities and roles.

Cons

No strategy. Poor leadership. Favoritism is rampant from mid level management on up. Executive leaders don't have a clue of what they are doing. Managers only listen to their favorite employees or newcomers. Strategies are flavor of the month and communication is very poor on results.

Advice to Management

Listen to the employees. They have experience and insight.

2. "Great People - Clueless Management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Shoreview, MN

Pros

Deluxe may an exceptionally fair job offer with a great pitch about the workplace and benefits. The people I interviewed with were exceptional.

Cons

Senior and Executive Management was the most unqualified and clueless I have worked with in my career. Only one or two of them have ever held a position like they now hold at Deluxe.

Advice to Management

Only the board of Directors can fix this mess.

"The favoritism is what eventually pushed me to resign from the Company after over 12 years of employment."

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Lancaster, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Lancaster, CA

Pros

I made some very nice friends at this Company. The benefits were very good, the compensation was adequate in my early years.

Cons

Too much favoritism and no recognition from my team lead in Lancaster, Calif., no pay raises for two consecutive years. HR had no clue and antagonized the situation pushing me to turn in my resignation after almost 13 years of employment. Management's narrow minds and favoritism is the cancer which causes low morale. Management takes care of the ones they like and ignores the ones they dislike.

Advice to Management

This is a professional company, get professional Management, I know of only one Team Lead that had a degree, the others moved into management by favoritism, not by any measure of competanc e. Quit ignoring the employee, be fair, listen and CARE!!!

4. "Ok but little to no room for growth or advancement."

Current Employee - Sales & Service Representative in Lenexa, KS
    Current Employee - Sales & Service Representative in Lenexa, KS

Pros

Good benefits and good location.

Cons

Poor direction from management and in a tough market.

Advice to Management

Listen to the people that are working with your customer's directly

"Not acceptable"

Current Employee - First Level Manager in Shoreview, MN
    Current Employee - First Level Manager in Shoreview, MN

Pros

Deluxe pays reliably. Facilitiy ok. People are nice.

Cons

Deluxe does not consider employees as more than tools.

Advice to Management

You must know what you are doing is wrong.

Input a management team who cares about company and people and who will transform company competently for shareholder value and contribution and growth of personnel.

"That's not how we do things here."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Shoreview, MN

Pros

Benefits and salary are great. On site cafeteria. Flexible work hours. Travel arrangements. Free checks for all employees. Co-workers are well-intentioned.

Cons

Leadership lacks experience in the industry the company provides products for (financial services). Inexperienced management and no effective coaching for those managers. No confidentiality between human resources and direct managers when there are issues. Product development process very poor for a process-oriented company. Company culture very unforgiving to outsiders. Average length of employment for Deluxer is 20 years so change is highly unlikely.

Advice to Management

Not everyone is designed to immediately fit in to a closed culture. If you hire outside with the stated expectation to bring in fresh thinking and approaches then coach and hold your leadership team to that expectation. Establish a no tolerance policy for retaliation and breach of confidentiality between HR and management when employees notify HR of any issue. Not everything should have to be submitted through the compliance hotline to make senior leadership take this seriously.

"If you have other options, pursue them."

Former Employee - Manager in Shoreview, MN
    Former Employee - Manager in Shoreview, MN

Pros

95 percent of the people that work at Deluxe are absolutely fantastic to work with. The problem is that the other 5 percent are in charge.

Cons

There is a revolving door. Many great people were let go because of constant schisms in upper and mid-level management. People that remain are severely overworked and are doing the job of several people.

"What did I get myself into by working for this company?"

Current Employee - Senior Online Analyst in Shoreview, MN
    Current Employee - Senior Online Analyst in Shoreview, MN

I have been working at Deluxe Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Colleagues genuinely care about their work
    - Caring and satisfying our customers
    - Diverse projects
    - Virtual teams across many work sites

Cons

Rather than buyer beware...future applicant beware as they sell you a story about working for the company that isn't true. Instead you soon realize:
    - ancient tools
    - no training
    - poor leadership as unable to set strategic direction especially in the online space
    - no work/life balance as I thought that I was offered a fair pay, but once you consider the hours you work, the pay is terrible
    - poor communications

Advice to Management

Need to find strong leaders to set directions and start caring about employees.

"Not a good experience overall"

Former Employee - Manager in Mountain Lakes, Morris, NJ
    Former Employee - Manager in Mountain Lakes, Morris, NJ

I worked at Deluxe Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

On the "face" company is headed in the right direction. They have incorporated many process improvements and cost savings. When I listened to their ads or Corporate messages, I thought, I want to work for "that" company. The reality at this site was far from the Corporate message.

Cons

Lack of respect for employee work/life balance.
    Management disfunction
    Constant struggle within leadership team
    Definite favoritism
    Penalty for not siding with site leader

Advice to Management

Corporate office needs to pay attention to what is really happening at this site. Instead it takes the easy way out and turns it's back on the little guy. Achieving production numbers outweighs respect for employees. A change in management is needed. There are to many long-term employees in leadership roles that feel entitled. The company has slowly taken the quality of life from their production employees and it needs to give back. Employees are dissatisfied overall.

"Rudderless business groping for any way to make their quarterly numbers."

Former Employee - Product Specialist in Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Product Specialist in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at Deluxe Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Many nice people that have worked there for a long time (10- 25 years).

Cons

Very low moral. Positions eliminated quarterly to help acheive profit goals.

Advice to Management

Get a plan. I don't think they have a 1 year plan let alone a 5 year plan on how to evolve away from their shrinking check printing business.