Deluxe Entertainment Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.9
John Wallace

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "There are some great people working with the company" (in 34 reviews)

• "cool work environment, people are friendly nice working culture" (in 34 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work life balance is non-existent" (in 21 reviews)

• "Of the years I've been here I received a few major pay raises that weren't cost of living adjustments" (in 18 reviews)

"Operations"

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Burbank, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Burbank, CA

I have been working at Deluxe Entertainment full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good people working hard to change as the industry shifts. A lot of new technology, but exciting capability.

Like the company - good products and talented people.

Cons

Operating and changing simultaneously

"oh no, another layoff..."

I worked at Deluxe Entertainment full-time

Pros

work environment was pretty good. my manager and co-workers are great.

Cons

more layoffs every year and moved jobs to Bangalore, India.

"Not for lng term"

I have been working at Deluxe Entertainment full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good people to work with, can do this as a side job

Cons

Sweatshop atmosphere, no employee welfare, unnecessary politics

Advice to Management

The Cons explain what they should overcome

4. "Data Scientist"

I have been working at Deluxe Entertainment full-time

Pros

not too much pressure, coworkers are very nice

Cons

don't have too much choice on what to do

5. "Changing for Tomorrow"

Current Employee - Supervisor in Burbank, CA
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Burbank, CA

I have been working at Deluxe Entertainment full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A lot of activity around change. Feels we are staying ahead with all of the changes in the industry.

Cons

It is hard for people even if they know it is needed.

Advice to Management

Keep communicating

"Horrible company - only good for temp and/or right out of school"

I worked at Deluxe Entertainment full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Offices are nice, coworkers are pretty cool. If you’re recently out of college, it’s not a bad place to start. It’s an easy resume builder, with a well known company. And, as far as the industry goes, it’s not bad pay if you’re 23,24.

Cons

My biggest issue is that nothing is ever consistent with this company. The turn over rate is insane in upper management. There is quite literally a new CEO every couple of months. So essentially, one CEO will implement a whole new system, work flow, etc, they leave, some new CEO comes in with their new way of doing things, so it’s a constant whirlwind of change. There’s always something new their implementing. The annoying part is they think their being innovative, but they’re not. They’re being annoying because the employees have to constantly train on new systems and workflows.

As far as the pay - as I said, out of college, it’s decent. But raises are non existent. I was with the company for 2 years and had a 1% raise. Lack of raises mostly stem from the lack of growth. There really aren’t many ways to move up the totem pole. The only way to move up is to usually leave and then come back for a higher position. But even doing so, at high positions, the pay is not comparable to other companies.

As far as the business, it’s a dying business. Period. In the 2 years I was with the company I witnessed 3 major layoffs that were directly associated with me - the third being the one that made me unemployed. So much is being automated with this industry so the lack of jobs is decreasing.

The actual day to day is whatever. Typically what deluxe is notorious for is firing people or just not replacing people when they leave. So the amount of work doesn’t decrease, it just gets delegated. Which can really suck. And when you voice your concerns, there’s absolutely ZERO support from upper management or HR.

That being said, I don’t have any hard feelings for Deluxe. I think it’s a great company to get your foot in the door, but it’s easy to get trapped and get complacent. If you take a job with deluxe, be aware it probably won’t last long and constantly keep an eye out for other employment opportunities.

Advice to Management

Learn how to run a business

"Sisyphus Had It Easier"

I have been working at Deluxe Entertainment full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- My manager is great, but even he’s checked out now.
    - Used to be an okay work environment.
    - Despite all my complaints, somehow still not the worst job I’ve ever had.
    - Free bagels on Thursdays are the only gratuity you will ever get.

Cons

- There’s zero communication between upper management and the rest of the staff. I’ve been here several years and have absolutely no idea what the direction of this company is supposed to be. All I hear is rumors and vague notions of automating everything via Sfera, which doesn’t seem to be panning out (though that hasn’t stopped them from laying off employees to make way for automation, even if it is unproven). All news here comes second hand, even your immediate boss will be left in the dark.
    - There have been two rounds of massive layoffs in the last four months. Did I mention free bagels? Because they’re piling up now, get ‘em while they’re stale.
    - My department has been cleaved in half in the last six months, leaving the rest of us scrambling with more work than we can keep up with. This is true of other departments as well. My assumption is that they’re gonna work the rest of us to the bone until we’re also shown the door. Nice.
    - The people in management clearly don’t understand post-production, and that shows in the pitiful training they give their coordinators. Coordinators frequently give technical staff misleading or flat out wrong direction, creating an extremely frustrating environment for technical employees like sound engineers or video editors. To put it mildly, most of these people don’t even know what frame rates are or what an aspect ratio is. It’s hard to get mad at the low level coordinators, though, because even their bosses are clueless. You will either figure out how to work around the ignorance of everybody around you or you’ll be driven mad.
    - If you’re good at your job people will take notice... and then they will take advantage of you. This place exists to find talented, hard working people and then grind them into the dirt. You’ll never be rewarded for going the extra mile, but you’ll always be expected to.
    - There is zero respect for work/life balance. If I ever leave the office after my 8 hours are up it’s a minor miracle. In fact, it’s been months since that’s happened.

Advice to Management

They’ve never listened to any of us before, why would they start now? I’m just saving my money while I prepare for the inevitable layoff.

"Ron Perlman’s Nightmare in Burbank"

Former Employee - Tech Executive in Burbank, CA
    Former Employee - Tech Executive in Burbank, CA

I worked at Deluxe Entertainment full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Clients are high profile Hollywood Studios. Impressive roster of top features and television.

Global company with operations primarily in Los Angeles, New York & London.

Slave labor located in India, Ohio and Pennsylvania. Raised pay in Burbank to avoid unionization.

Cons

Revolving door at the top, middle and bottom.

Most experienced industry experts and top talent leave the company.

Misguided CEO and munchkin of a CIO developed a shared use IT and technology model that has failed and resulted in unprofitable individual business operations due to ridiculous overheads.

Advice to Management

Stop accepting bogus awards for excellence that you have arranged for one another. It’s transparently pathetic. Turn the company back to the artist and hit the road. Kill share use model of high cost and crappy IT services no one wants or trusts

"Can't stop the layoffs"

I worked at Deluxe Entertainment full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company to work for if you have a lucrative position.

Cons

Mass layoffs to departments that aren't making money.

"Stay Away! Horrible Experience."

I worked at Deluxe Entertainment full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I honestly can’t think of one in my time of being there.

Cons

Deluxe does not value its employees. Professional development is not a priority of management and pay is low for what’s being asked of you. Constant turnover company wide to where it’s pointless to learn someone’s name or position because they are going to quit or be fired within a year (and that’s what I was told during my first month and it’s true).

Advice to Management

Management doesn’t listen to suggestions so it would be pointless to give it.