Deluxe Entertainment Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.8
John Wallace

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great people, good tech support, promote from within" (in 34 reviews)

• "Good work environment, friendly people" (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • "Also, a raise and not just a cost of living increase would be great" (in 18 reviews)

• "Work life balance is non-existent" (in 18 reviews)

1. "Rebuilding - amazing growth."

I have been working at Deluxe Entertainment full-time

Pros

I have a pretty incredible team I get to work with on a daily basis. The work is fulfilling and we're currently rebuilding our organization to be focused around 1) our people 2) our technology. I saw our Glassdoor reviews prior to joining as anyone should but after meeting the people I knew it was going to be something we will all get to a better place, together.

Cons

Haven't found one, yet. I'll keep you updated.

"Can be a better"

I worked at Deluxe Entertainment full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some good people in there who can do great things

Cons

Need to be more employee focused

"Thoughts"

I worked at Deluxe Entertainment full-time

Pros

Coworkers and direct managers are great people.

Cons

All our work was sent to India. Never got significant raises for years.

"Frustrating & Outdated place of work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Deluxe Entertainment (More than a year)

Pros

Transport
    Catering
    I cannot think of anything else

Cons

Ever-changing upper management/global leadership
    high-dependancies on outdated processes and technologies
    minimal employee buy-in
    talkers preferred over achievers/doers
    salary structure based on HR whims - no transparency for managers

Advice to Management

Act on eliminating the cons.

"Good people, impossible long term situation"

I worked at Deluxe Entertainment full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good people, and talented people from middle management down.

Cons

Work life balance is non-existent. There is a culture of fear of employment termination there. Make a mistake, and you might get fired. In order to avoid getting fired, people take on the least amount of responsibility possible and shift as much blame as quickly as possible. Good people have thrown other good people under the bus to save their own job because every mistake could end in a musical chairs of firing. This has caused a mass exodus to competitors leaving a gap in talent. To be clear, there are still very talented people there, but not enough to cover Deluxe's market share. To add to that, they have a habit of cutting jobs for what I can posit a guess is profit margins, but I can't be sure. So, as an employee, you could be great or terrible and still potentially get fired. As a person, it's possible to get used to that hanging over you, but it's still hanging over you. Deluxe is a big company so this is specific to Deluxe Digital Cinema.

Advice to Management

Keep on keeping on. It's helping everyone else's market share and your competition is picking up competitive people. While competition is a healthy thing, if you really want to turn it around, treat people as commodities again. These may seem like disposable positions, but these people aren't. This field is too small to alienate everyone who supports you. I've heard of a lot of people leaving. I've never heard of anyone going back.

6. "Solid"

I have been working at Deluxe Entertainment full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Solid benefits, treated with respect.

Cons

Experiences vary considerably across departments so hard to say what a new hire's experience will be like.

"TOXIC!!!"

Former Employee - Account Manager-Localization in Burbank, CA
    Former Employee - Account Manager-Localization in Burbank, CA

I worked at Deluxe Entertainment full-time (More than a year)

Pros

good benefits and free ice cream in summer months

Cons

An extremely fear based & toxic environment with a huge turnover rate of at least 5-10 people a month who quit or were fired. RUN FROM THIS COMPANY

Advice to Management

invest in your people and don't work them till they are burnt out.

"It WAS great to work at Deluxe... WAS."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burbank, CA

I worked at Deluxe Entertainment full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

(The review is relevant only to the Digital Distribution and Delivery Groups.)

The steady benefits, the steady work, and challenges.

I had the opportunity to participate in various new technologies.

Great 401k and relatively affordable health insurance premiums (with subsidy)

Contrary to some reviews here I got some significant pay raises... well, to a point.

Cons

For some roles, telecommuting is not possible (at least it wasn't possible for me).

Overtime can happen on weekends, late nights and sometimes, early mornings. It takes its toll. There was a time when it can be doable. That's gone now. Morale and passion are not there anymore to sustain crunch periods.

The former Ascent Media offices desperately needs its parking situation fixed. Parking gets full too early. The restrooms are a step down compared to Empire offices.

Bagel days and summer treats are nice but I wished they stop offering them and give pay raises instead with the money saved.

For a place where technologies are changing constantly, it is dangerous to stay static. Yet Deluxe treats their coworkers as if they're robots... when they lay them off, inadequate training is provided to retool them for future opportunities outside Deluxe.

Deluxe is getting left behind.

Majority of work gets sent to Bangalore. Is Bangalore happy? Hardly. They're overworked too. Bangalore office has had recent strikes / industrial actions in the past. Past corporate decisions (i.e. outsourcing, closing essential offices, revolving door of executive management) have negativity affected Deluxe's ability to compete. Clients ask why Deluxe quality has dropped. That is why.

Pay raises come once a while. Of the years I've been here I received a few major pay raises that weren't cost of living adjustments. But there was a period when I never got ANY raise. In the end, my salary was STILL below market. Only leaving Deluxe gets you a significant raise.

For all the years I have been here I should have received a promotion. Was it because of a lack of merit, or is it because I wasn't in the "in crowd"? Wasn't written up either.

There is a time period where you cannot take any time off during the summer and winter. In winter time, they had a winter closure period where workers were forced to use vacation days during that period. That's not the case anymore now, though there are times when you cannot take any days off in December except Christmas.

Advice to Management

Because of Deluxe being owned by a hedge fund, they are accountable only to them, and the hedge fund manages a number of totally unrelated businesses that have nothing to do with the entertainment industry's business dynamics. What did they do with that tax cut from The Donald?

Deluxe WAS great... and will it be great again?
    Not with the way things are now.

"Just Okay"

Current Employee - Director, Account Management in Burbank, CA
    Current Employee - Director, Account Management in Burbank, CA

I have been working at Deluxe Entertainment full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

People are great in general. Industry partners are usually decent to work with also.

Cons

Morale is too frequently low and advancement doesn’t seem possible once locked into a position.

Advice to Management

Employees feeling like they are valued can make a difference. The words are spoken, but actions sometimes contradict them.

"Account Coordinator"

I have been working at Deluxe Entertainment full-time

Pros

Great people to work with and a great learning experience

Cons

Deluxe provides a low pay and does not often promote internally