Demand Media Reviews in Austin, TX | Glassdoor

3.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Demand Media Chief Executive Officer Sean Moriarty
Sean Moriarty

Pros
  • And the company was committed to their people as human beings with generous perks and work/life balance (in 14 reviews)

• Flexible work from home; Innovative - all electronic communication from hiring--to work assignments--to team interaction--paid via Paypal (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Copy editors are rude and self-serving (in 6 reviews)

• There was another person that started on MONDAY and were let go Tuesday (in 5 reviews)

"I've seen fire, and I've seen rain."

Former Employee - Senior UI Engineer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Senior UI Engineer in Austin, TX

I worked at Demand Media full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

My career at Demand Media started when the company acquired Pluck in Mar 2008 and ended when the Austin office closed its doors in Aug 2015. During that time most of my experiences were positive ones. The culture was open and friendly. Good ideas were championed, no matter where they came from. Managers were encouraged to listen, and for the most part they did. People got along great with each other, no matter their role. And the company was committed to their people as human beings with generous perks and work/life balance.

Cons

It's difficult to list the cons for an organization you haven't been a part of for over a year, but I will try. Over the course of several years Demand Media made a handful of poor hiring choices in upper management, and a fair bit of internal damage was done before those choices were corrected. And for the last two or three years before the Austin office closed the company experienced a slow "brain drain" as smart, motivated employees left for better opportunities. Again, my perspective is at least a year old.

Advice to Management

I give Demand Media high marks for a positive culture and the excellent treatment of employees both past and present. Where the company suffers I think is in the global marketplace. Demand Media's branding is weak, and that's not to say that the logo needs changing. Almost any time I hear about Demand Media in the news the information is inaccurate and the attitude toward the company is neutral to hostile for all the wrong reasons. I think Demand Media needs to do a better job of sharing its powerful, positive vision of the future with the rest of the world.

Demand Media Response

Sep 2, 2016 – People Team

First and foremost, Thank you for your 5 plus years at Demand Media and recognition of our great culture and experience. We are glad that you got to share those 5 years experiencing and contributing ... More

"Bright Future?"

Former Employee - Software Developer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Austin, TX

I worked at Demand Media full-time

Pros

This company has struggled to find direction since inception, but that has changed. Sean Moriarty has cleaned house and given them more focus and a sound vision. The culture is somewhere between that of a startup and what you experience in more mature companies, which I liked.

Cons

Career growth for developers was lacking. Marketing and Product seem to run everything and promotions were often based on popularity instead of on real contributions to the product.

Advice to Management

Understand that you have valuable employees who are working hard, running your business every day and they often deserve something more tangible than their name and photo on a slide deck.

"Pros and Cons"

I worked at Demand Media full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Smart people work there for the most part. The new businesses they are running can be really exciting. The office in Santa Monica is really nice.

Cons

They have been in cost cutting mode for the past year or so- selling off divisions and closing the office in Austin. The big bets on their new businesses may not pay off.

Advice to Management

Their has been a complete management change (CEO and most SVPs) and the new mgmt team does not really see value in the products they have. That is their prerogative but I would worry that this could affect the companies future profitability.

"Had a good run, local office was great"

I worked at Demand Media full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people. 100% the people. I made lifelong friends of the colleagues I worked with at Demand. Fair benefits that got better over time. Same with salary, which got closer to industry standards the last few years. The culture at the Austin office was great, I enjoyed my time there.

Cons

Huge disconnect between Santa Monica and Austin office. Austin office often looked down upon or regarded as less than valid. Had to deal with some completely unnecessary drama from the CA office from time to time.

Advice to Management

Seeing as the Austin office was completely shut down, they've taken care of the above-mentioned disconnect. Aside from that been unfortunate for me, I think the new management is doing a good job over there in reorganizing and focusing the business, and injecting some fresh blood into stale properties.

"No focus, no leadership"

Former Employee - Business Intelligence Data Analyst in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Business Intelligence Data Analyst in Austin, TX

Pros

Flexible hours, lots of opportunity if you play the game.

Cons

All the wrong people are in charge. People get promoted if they just work a lot, not if they work smart.

"Great Experience"

Current Employee - R&D in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - R&D in Austin, TX

I have been working at Demand Media full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Wonderful HR and Company Culture

Cons

Limited ability to move up.

Advice to Management

Provide better advancement opportunities.

"Company to Grow"

I have been working at Demand Media full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great, smart people who are always willing to help
    Ability to try new things and take chances
    Flexible work schedules
    Perks like free lunch Fridays, movie days, stocked kitchen, other intangibles that lead to a great quality of life

Cons

Sometimes disorganized
    Could have better unification across groups

Advice to Management

Let's find ways to work together across product groups to make our company even stronger!

8. "Good vision, but lacking unified execution"

I have been working at Demand Media full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good benefits and day-to-day perks

Cons

Lack of teamwork across business units.

Advice to Management

Unify your business units and show the value of everything Demand Media has to offer.

9. "This was a formative experience for me"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Demand Media full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

High project variety
    Diverse business with new things to learn all the time

Cons

The IPO went flat, along with the rest of 2011

Advice to Management

Acquire. You are good at it.

10. "Start up feel with funding"

Current Employee - QA Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - QA Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Demand Media full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

While we work for demand, each business unit operates separately like a start up except you aren't expected to work crazy hours. Pay is great. People are awesome. They like to promote from within.

Cons

Mostly just the bs people right online about demand. Otherwise its great.