Demand Media Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Demand Media Chief Executive Officer Sean Moriarty
Sean Moriarty

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • And the company was committed to their people as human beings with generous perks and work/life balance (in 14 reviews)

• Flexible work from home; Innovative - all electronic communication from hiring--to work assignments--to team interaction--paid via Paypal (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • There was another person that started on MONDAY and were let go Tuesday (in 5 reviews)

• Low pay, too many guidelines needed for what the work entails, too much research and rewrites required for what is very scant pay (in 5 reviews)

"Software Engineer"

Pros

The people are very nice to work with.

Cons

The company doesn't do good.

2. "Good in your spare time"

Former Employee - Content Writer in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Content Writer in Chicago, IL

Pros

It is convenient to be able to work from home, and at your own pace. Payment was prompt also.

Cons

The subject matter is very sparse, which makes research extremely difficult at times. Editors also sometimes grade on opinion, rather than error.

"Very stressful writing experience"

Former Freelancer - Anonymous Freelancer
    Former Freelancer - Anonymous Freelancer

I worked at Demand Media (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay twice per week.
    At one time, tens of thousands of articles available.
    Many different topics to write about.

Cons

Very low pay.
    Zero prestige.
    Rigid templates and guidelines.
    Editors made the writing experience very difficult and stressful.
    Company eventually let all writers go.

4. "Diversity"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Demand Media as a contractor

Pros

Relaxed environment. Creative environment. Fun environment.

Cons

Very few minorities outside of Asian/Middle Eastern men.

Advice to Management

Hire minorities

"Used to be a great place to work!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Demand Media (More than 5 years)

Pros

Food, nice office, dog friendly, stocked kitchen with great snacks, free lunch on Fridays, Pay to play, yoga in office, guest speakers, nice bathrooms,

Cons

Ever since Richard, founder, left, management has steadily let go too many talented people, and the company has been on a deep decline even more since new ceo, Sean took over.

Poor moral, layoffs often. Promised turn around is NOT going to happen. I would avoid Demand Media completely at this point in time.

Advice to Management

Resign, and replace with a team that knows what they are doing.

"Working for the underdog"

Former Employee - Contractor in Woodland Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Contractor in Woodland Hills, CA

I worked at Demand Media (More than 8 years)

Pros

Working for a company who's trying to recover its credibility as a profitable entity can be an exciting challenge especially while working with a group of employees who are pumped up to turn the business around.

Cons

It's hard to feel positive while working for this company that is trying to around yet spends an incredible amount of money just trying to keep their reputation above water. There is a feeling of impending doom that is notable among the senior staff.

Advice to Management

Stop spending so much money on trying to hold back your employees from leaving and focus on increasing the value of the stocks.

"Lots of Layoffs"

Pros

Snacks. 401k matching. Sometimes you get free stuff from society 6 returns.

Cons

Lots of layoffs and turnover lately. Lots of revoking benefits. Lack of direction.

"More Bad Than Good"

Current Employee - Editor in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Editor in Santa Monica, CA

Pros

Good work-life balance, good people, free lunch on Fridays

Cons

New management is awful -- taking away benefits to save money. A few weeks ago, they cut our Christmas vacation without warning, so everyone in the company got a 5-day pay cut. We used to have beer and wine on Fridays starting at 4, so everyone can mellow out and relax before going home. Now, we have beer starting at 5pm on Thursdays -- unsafe because no one wants to drink right before they drive home. Management made that decision so that people wouldn't leave work early on Fridays. New CEO plays favorites and makes that bias obvious in weekly emails to the company.

Advice to Management

Stop taking away company perks.

"To the Chicago writer..."

Former Freelancer - Copy Editor
    Former Freelancer - Copy Editor

I worked at Demand Media (More than 5 years)

Pros

Paid twice a week, usually could work as much as you wanted (if there were assignments) when you wanted, some assignments could be done quickly

Cons

To the Chicago writer (couldn't find a way to respond directly): Please know that the CEs are pushed to be bullies. The strictness of the rating system and when rewrites are deemed necessary (which is almost every time) are ludicrous and makes both our jobs and those of the writers longer and more difficult than they need to be. I'm an excellent copy editor with 16 years' experience, but was repeatedly criticized for my "gatekeeping" skills -- i.e., I didn't request enough rewrites or reject the ones I got back. So I wanted to let you know that we're forced to be aggressive, and it's not in the interest of good copy. More likely it's to save Demand a few bucks an hour for each freelancer. There may be bitter CEs out there, but mostly it's what we had to do to keep our jobs.

Advice to Management

Stop pushing the copy editors beyond normal expectations

"Future Uncertain"

Former Employee - Visual Designer in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Visual Designer in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Demand Media full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Dog Friendly, nice facilities and industry average pay/benefits.

Cons

Lack of morale and vision: I worked there when CEO, Richard Rosenblatt resigned with no real explanation. Soon after came the acquisition of Saatchi Art and their CEO Sean Moriarty, who is the current CEO of DM. The best way I can describe the new company moving into our offices is to compare it to a scene in the movie Apocalypto. Its the moment when their out in the jungle and encounter a group of indian refugees with a look of fear and one of them comes to Jaguar Paw in a dream and utters the word "RUN"

Advice to Management

I feel employees are generally afraid of the new management, which is now mostly former Saatchi employees. Most of the DM mgmt has left of been run out. Saatchi employees seems to be afraid to socialize for fear that they will look like slackers. I had 4 managers in the 2 years I worked there and never felt like someone was keeping tabs on me and what I was doing with my day... until Saatchi arrived. Its not a good feeling when your fast worker that likes to enjoy their day at work and not be glued to their desk