Demand Media Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Demand Media Chief Executive Officer Sean Moriarty
Sean Moriarty

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • And the company was committed to their people as human beings with generous perks and work/life balance (in 14 reviews)

• Flexible work from home; Innovative - all electronic communication from hiring--to work assignments--to team interaction--paid via Paypal (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • There was another person that started on MONDAY and were let go Tuesday (in 5 reviews)

• Low pay, too many guidelines needed for what the work entails, too much research and rewrites required for what is very scant pay (in 5 reviews)

1. "Good times"

I worked at Demand Media full-time

Pros

Lot of energy and fun

Cons

constant shifting of priorities

"I've seen fire, and I've seen rain."

Former Employee - Senior UI Engineer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Senior UI Engineer in Austin, TX

I worked at Demand Media full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

My career at Demand Media started when the company acquired Pluck in Mar 2008 and ended when the Austin office closed its doors in Aug 2015. During that time most of my experiences were positive ones. The culture was open and friendly. Good ideas were championed, no matter where they came from. Managers were encouraged to listen, and for the most part they did. People got along great with each other, no matter their role. And the company was committed to their people as human beings with generous perks and work/life balance.

Cons

It's difficult to list the cons for an organization you haven't been a part of for over a year, but I will try. Over the course of several years Demand Media made a handful of poor hiring choices in upper management, and a fair bit of internal damage was done before those choices were corrected. And for the last two or three years before the Austin office closed the company experienced a slow "brain drain" as smart, motivated employees left for better opportunities. Again, my perspective is at least a year old.

Advice to Management

I give Demand Media high marks for a positive culture and the excellent treatment of employees both past and present. Where the company suffers I think is in the global marketplace. Demand Media's branding is weak, and that's not to say that the logo needs changing. Almost any time I hear about Demand Media in the news the information is inaccurate and the attitude toward the company is neutral to hostile for all the wrong reasons. I think Demand Media needs to do a better job of sharing its powerful, positive vision of the future with the rest of the world.

Demand Media Response

Sep 2, 2016 – People Team

First and foremost, Thank you for your 5 plus years at Demand Media and recognition of our great culture and experience. We are glad that you got to share those 5 years experiencing and contributing... More

"Hit or Miss"

I have been working at Demand Media full-time

Pros

Great culture, good benefits and decently competitive salary. A fair number of smart, dedicated people, who also like to have fun. Great location and office space. Some good web properties/platforms with potential.

Cons

Your experience can be heavily driven by your particular manager - and some are just not good leaders, even if they might have the right substantive experience. The company has been in recovery mode for a while and I think some will be winners and some will be losers.

Advice to Management

Need more accountability at the top with respect to promoting and emphasizing good management so that it can waterfall down to senior, then mid-management.

Demand Media Response

Aug 5, 2016 – Manager

Thanks for your review and your feedback, both pro and con. I would have to say that all though Demand Media has endured some changes, the company is not in recovery mode. Rather, the company is... More

"Pretty good"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Demand Media full-time

Pros

Culture
    Managers
    PMs and Engineers get along well
    Great work/life balance
    Flexible schedule

Cons

The properties aren't the most compelling.

5. "Technical Support"

Former Employee - Technical Support Specialist in Westminster, CO
    Former Employee - Technical Support Specialist in Westminster, CO

I worked at Demand Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked with very smart, fun and hard working people. They have a lot of perks for working there.

Cons

Very fast pace work environment.

"Nice Place to Work"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Demand Media full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent Office environment, wonderful perks for those in engineering land.
    Good mix of small startup mindset with large established money behind it.

Cons

Some of the tech is getting long in the tooth, and there is still an fairly high turnover given how I feel about the place - makes me wonder if I am missing something.

Advice to Management

Keep it going and remember that we are also in it for the cool tech - not just the bottom line and/or perks.

"Great learning experience at data-driven publisher"

Former Employee - Editorial in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Editorial in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Demand Media (More than a year)

Pros

Great people in middle-management; interesting publishing model that can serve as a great base for understanding data driven publishing practices; met some great people.

Cons

Work environment was a bit impersonal; too many meetings; not the greatest cross-dept. teamwork, but lots of improvements made to that end before my leaving.

"Good Gigs, Poor Communication"

I have been working at Demand Media full-time

Pros

I was invited to work for some reputable, high-end clients that really helped my resume. Despite complaints to the contrary, the work is consistent if you talk to the right people.

Cons

Communication isn't always great. They make a lot of changes to the guidelines and not everyone seems to get the memo. Therefore you have copy editors and writers working off of two completely different sets of guidelines. That can get frustrating.

Advice to Management

They've already cut out some of the less productive writers and copy editors. They'd be wise to continue to make cuts. Not everyone's editing or writing skills are up to snuff making the company as a whole look unprofessional at times.

"Change isn't easy"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Santa Monica, CA

Pros

Company is successfully shifting from a strictly SEO-driven ad revenue model to a more diversified set of properties with a heavy focus on e-commerce. It hasn't shown up in the stock price yet, but the revenue is there, and if you're working on any of the more successful teams or properties then it's a great time to be there - rapid growth, and the ability to try new things that comes as a result of success.

The growth also provides a lot of opportunities to branch out and try new things, take on new responsibilities, and invest heavily in your own career path.

Cons

If you're not working on one of the successful properties your team may get squeezed. If your manager doesn't know how to handle that then you may suffer for it. As a business, they're slowly figuring out how to get their under-performers back in gear, but it's a difficult process and there have been layoffs as a result.

This doesn't look good on the outside, but few of the under-performing properties are actually hiring until they've started turning things around, so if you're looking to join you're not likely to have to deal with this without forewarning.

Advice to Management

Keep lines of communication open, do your best to continually empower your middle managers to stand up for their teams when requirements aren't reasonable, and continue to focus on making the necessary cuts so that other portions of the business can continue to thrive. Aim for more competitive salaries for engineers or you'll risk falling behind the hiring curve.

"It was fun while it lasted"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Demand Media full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked with a great team, we did a lot of outings together and I never felt afraid to say my opinion to the people around me. There's free Friday lunch and beer/wine Thursdays and a lot of snacks.

Cons

If you're not smart about the snacks, you'll probably gain weight. I don't think there's a lot of transparency about what stuff are ABOUT to happen, like layoffs, that made things feel very shaky towards the end.