Demand Media Reviews | Glassdoor

5.0
Demand Media Chief Executive Officer Sean Moriarty
Sean Moriarty

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • And the company was committed to their people as human beings with generous perks and work/life balance (in 14 reviews)

• Flexible work from home; Innovative - all electronic communication from hiring--to work assignments--to team interaction--paid via Paypal (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • There was another person that started on MONDAY and were let go Tuesday (in 5 reviews)

• Low pay, too many guidelines needed for what the work entails, too much research and rewrites required for what is very scant pay (in 5 reviews)

"Demand Media Review 3 months in"

I have been working at Demand Media full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

People and teams are amazing. You will not find a better group of people to work with which is a joy to come into work every day. Office building is great and lots of snacks. Free Friday Lunches! Work with a ton of smart colleagues.

Cons

Company has been going through some transitions and reorgs which can be concerning but all changes have been for the good of the company.

Oct 14, 2016 – People Team

Thank you for your review and for joining Demand Media. We did reorganize some teams and as you mention, these changes are made to continue moving the company forward. And also as you mentioned... More

"Positive Experience"

Current Employee - Director
    Current Employee - Director

Pros

The company is undergoing an interesting transition, which provides a unique learning opportunity across the business divisions. The team is incredibly flexible and the environment is unique. It's a refreshing change coming from a traditional corporate background.

Cons

I haven't experienced anything that I would attribute as a "con".

3. "Great culture, easy transition"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

Pros

Demand Media made it really easy to transition into its company culture. Friendly faces and and open work space along with several furry friends make the days go by quickly. As cliché as it sounds, this place epitomizes the work hard, play hard mentality.

Cons

No "Summer Fridays" - I would love if they could make this happen for at least some of the departments.

"Love working for Demand Media"

I have been working at Demand Media full-time

Pros

Culture
    Benefits
    Flexible schedule
    Work/life balance
    Provides opportunity
    Fun/ friendly colleagues
    HR really cares about you

Cons

No company is perfect! People think the grass is greener on the other side. They will figure it out once they realize they screwed up on leaving DM.

Advice to Management

Keep communicating, keep employees informed of changes sooner than later. Rather hear it from management then an article online or from someone else. Also, get rid of dead weight, discourages teams to keep pushing forward when not everyone is doing their part.

Sep 2, 2016 – People Team

Demand Media loves you working here. You are also correct, No Company is Perfect, and We are happy that you recognize this.

Your advice to Demand Media is a topic in which we have high focus... More

"Working At Demand Media Is Awesome!"

I have been working at Demand Media full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Culture.
    Smart People.
    Awesome Perks.
    Amazing Work-Life Balance.
    Beautiful Office.

Cons

There are not any major cons I can think about. Working at Demand Media is great and I would definitely recommend it to other people.

"Don't Let the Perks Fool You"

I have been working at Demand Media full-time

Pros

Don't let the perks fool you, this company is hard at work. The perks aren't here to hide anything, just help you feel a little better about working hard. We've had snacks, lunch and more since before the IPO.

Over the past several years, I have seen this company shed its former image and steer a massive ship in a better direction. This has been challenging, painful at times, and certainly not for the feint of heart.

Quality is precisely what we are going after these days, and no one at the top believes that "quantity" is the answer.

The company has repeatedly sought the best talent externally, and has looked internally to elevate and deploy top performers to lead growth initiatives. They are putting a stop to title inflation and promotions for "you've been here awhile now", which may be tough for some to swallow, but its the right thing to do and good for culture long term.

Senior management and People Operations have an open door policy and no voiced idea goes unheard and no question is too taboo. It is incredibly empowering,.

Cons

Hard work required
    Little room for under performers
    Catered lunch on Fridays make people think we're hiding something
    Sense of satisfaction only comes after hard work
    Management empowers employees to take on more responsibility
    Promotions come with increases in responsibility
    Unlimited vacation plan makes it harder to burn out

Advice to Management

Success is not just about maintaining a winning streak; its about making progress from where you were. Keep pushing!

Aug 5, 2016 – Manager

Thanks for the compliments and we are happy to see that you recognize such great positives at Demand Media. You hit the nail on the head, we do have an exciting plan and vision for the company and it... More

7. "A great place to work."

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Santa Monica, CA

Pros

Demand Media pays developers well and provides perks that are unmatched in my experience. There were opportunities for professional development, outside speakers and some fun social events too. The caliber of employees and management is top notch. I had the pleasure of working with very talented engineers who provided mentorship and conducted themselves always in a professional manner. My team worked in Agile sprints, using code reviews and pull requests which kept code quality high. I enjoyed my time at Demand and would go to work for them again. I feel like the company has turned around its reputation as a content mill and is on the road to doing great things with marketplaces and high quality content production.

Cons

The downside of Demand Media in my opinion was the location in Santa Monica and L.A. in general. Housing for a family of four is astronomical anywhere within an hour commute, so after numerous rent increases and need for more space we were priced out of LA and a great job. They should do more to facilitate remote work so that employees aren't spending 10 hours a week commuting.

Advice to Management

My advice to management would be to experiment with more remote workers. It may even be possible to set things up in such a way as to not have the overhead of keeping a large office in Santa Monica.

Aug 18, 2016 – People Team

Thank you for your review and for noting our caliber of hiring. Demand Media does hire top notch employees and will continue to provide great mentorship and training for them.

We do thank you for... More

"Experiences to last a lifetime"

Pros

The opportunity to grow, learn, and innovate are boundless at Demand Media. From the Executive level down, you are surrounded by talented people that support, encourage, and challenge you to be the very best. The education that I received not only in my current profession, but outside of that is something I'll take away as I continue my journey. Demand Media is the most employee-centric organization that I've worked for - the company really recognizes that the employees are the most important asset.

Cons

None that I can think of.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

Aug 5, 2016 – Manager

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and we are glad to see you have had a positive experience. Your review noted two areas that Demand Media truly takes pride in, education and... More

"Excellent, team driven envoirnment"

I have been working at Demand Media full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Open office space, leadership opportunities, multiple perks (dog friendly, open vacation policy, lots of food, etc), great teams and awesome culture.

Cons

Trying not to snack is a challenge.

Advice to Management

New leaders in management are doing awesome. The company is heading in a great direction and I am excited to be part of it!

"Great brands and great people"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Demand Media (Less than a year)

Pros

The company makes its people a priority. Team members are expected to work hard but they are rewarded with great office culture. Every person feels like they can make a difference on their brands.

Cons

Culture and work expectations aren't necessarily consistent from team to team

Advice to Management

Keep up the great culture!