Demand Media Reviews | Glassdoor

3.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Demand Media Chief Executive Officer Sean Moriarty
Sean Moriarty

Pros
  • And the company was committed to their people as human beings with generous perks and work/life balance (in 14 reviews)

• Flexible work from home; Innovative - all electronic communication from hiring--to work assignments--to team interaction--paid via Paypal (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Copy editors are rude and self-serving (in 6 reviews)

• There was another person that started on MONDAY and were let go Tuesday (in 5 reviews)

"Sinking ship of a company."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

Pros

Arranging for time off never a problem. Lots of great people.

Cons

Extremely poor senior management. No defined company direction.

Advice to Management

Pick a direction and focus on it. There cannot be 15 simultaneous projects that are unrelated. There's no company that will buy Demand because no one needs 20 mediocre projects. You could sell ehow, and that's about it.

"Disappointed"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

Pros

* Bellevue office has some really smart, innovative and friendly people
    * Snacks and fun things to do provided by Facilities, HR and employee run committee
    * Very casual environment; NERF rules!
    * Good location
    * Technology provided is good quality

Cons

* no possibility of promotion in most departments
    * internal communication between departments and between management and employees is not sufficient
    * Employees in general don't seem very happy

Advice to Management

Please remember that this company is made up of people who are incredibly smart and most of them are just waiting for someone they can follow. Your employees need feedback that can be acted on and defined goals to work on. Saying "Make it so" works for Picard, but not for you.

"We All Loved It, But Then Overnight It Disappeared"

Former Employee - Title Quality Assurance in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Title Quality Assurance in Chicago, IL

Pros

It was a great company to work for remotely. It paid better than any work at home job for the type of work. It offered the opportunity to work in a field that is not offered by any other company. It was a stress-free place to work. They kept it simple and devoid of unnecessary or antiquated systems. The Forums were a place to learn new knowledge and make some great friendships. It paid twice weekly, unheard of.

Cons

It dissolved all of the jobs for thousands of remote workers that had worked for the company for years. The management gave no forewarning, notice or indication and ended contracts with everyone in the blink of an eye. The jobs were taken away under the pretense of it being the employee's performance, when in reality the company essentially ended their work at home departments.

Advice to Management

Look into the future and develop your projects in accordance with long-term growth. Popping on the scene and dropping off the scene is not the best business model. Practice good employee communication. It's essential to communicate clearly and honestly with the people who make it all possible.

"Notorious and despised for many reasons"

Former Employee - Editor in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Editor in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Demand Media full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Office near beach, 3rd Street Promenade, free snacks, laid back to an extreme

Cons

Laid back to the point where people on the content team such as editors and content managers are instant messaging for half the day with friends and giggling. There's no shame. Many have no formal training or eduation in journalism. No wonder the company has such a horrible reputation. Wired, LA Weekly, and Business Insider have all written about the shoddy work of this content farm. If you're an editor, manager or writer working for the content team, working for Demand Media is only going to harm your resume. Real journalists look down upon such unprofessional work. They don't fact-check or verify anything. I was also verbally and sexually harassed, and management failed to address any of my complaints. That is simply wrong, callous, and shameful. I resigned because of the lack of morals and values here. Pay is also ridiculously low. You'll earn more at almost any other desk job. I am confident that this was the worst job I've ever had.

Advice to Management

Hire content managers with professional journalism experience, people who have actually studied journalism at reputable universities or publications, or else your reputation is only going to get worse. Treat employees with some ounce of respect. It is so incredibly disrespectful and cold to ignore the concerns of your employees, especially when they involve sexual and verbal harassment. Keep things professional. Make it known that a professional environment requires professionalism. No ogling, crass behavior, remarks about female bodies, breasts, prostitution, and yelling. Demand some decency.

"Sinking ship. Avoid if you value job security"

Former Employee - Director in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Director in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Demand Media full-time

Pros

Some great people work here. The coffee machines are nice. Plenty of space to spread out since the brand new office has so few people in it now.

Cons

This place is a sinking ship. All the quality leadership has left in the last year. The site teams haven't made much progress in reversing the enormous drop in site traffic and the current focus on content marketing is over ambitious and lacks real growth opportunities. The stock is in perpetual decline. Santa Monica is loaded with better tech companies to work for.

Advice to Management

Sell and cut your losses.

"The company is disorganized and constantly changes priorities."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Demand Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked with some good people, but most weren't able to grow their skills because the management was so poor and building from within wasn't a priority.

Cons

Stressful environment that neither provided the support nor resources necessary to execute a project effectively. Many projects were abandoned and millions of dollars were wasted due to short-term thinking.

"Nightmare post acquisition"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

Pros

the people - great folks that are passionate about what they do and have fun doing it

Cons

change in management completely changed the environment of the organization. Managers to busy managing up and not paying attention to the work going on elsewhere. Mass exodus of employees following layoffs and instability in the faith of the company

Advice to Management

Communicate a vision to employees - everyone is in the dark or working in fear

"Yield Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Demand Media full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice offices in Santa Monica

Cons

Demand has been searching for a winning direction since its IPO stumble after Google's Panda also change. Nothing it threw against the wall stuck in those few years. The sharpest, most engaged senior stakeholders all began to flee, as did many of the most talented managers. The resulting holes were filled by people who are probably more focussed on managing up and building some story around their success.

Advice to Management

Deliver the vision to employees. Nobody knows what the direction is and most are generally scared because the company has been on a steady downward slide for 3 years. Just saying that you have a plan and things will get better after they get worse isn't a winning plan.

"Demand Media Needs Improvement"

Former Employee - Freelance Writer in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Freelance Writer in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Demand Media (More than 3 years)

Pros

The best part of working at Demand Media was the variety of writing assignments. Being able to write about everything from pets to obscure cultural topics was interesting.

Cons

The quality of the editors was not consistent. I would have excellent editors for some projects and those who were barely literate to rate articles. There was also a weird ratings system that tripped me up as a writer. I didn't like the unprofessional behavior of many of the editors.

Advice to Management

Hire editors that are professionals, not those who lack experience and consistency.

"Worked in Education for Demand Media"

Current Employee - Freelance Education Writer in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Freelance Education Writer in Jacksonville, FL

Pros

Good topics that seem challenging, but editors often shot me down. I don't think my work was below par.

Cons

As I have read, editors are inconsistent. I would research and write and then often rewrite and many of my articles were rejected with no pay after the second rejection.. I think I made about $1 an hour working for Demand and I have more than 25 years as a researcher/writer and editor and am very particular with my work.

Advice to Management

Not sure.