Demand Media Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated October 5, 2016

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Demand Media Chief Executive Officer Sean Moriarty
Sean Moriarty

Pros
  • And the company was committed to their people as human beings with generous perks and work/life balance (in 14 reviews)

• Flexible work from home; Innovative - all electronic communication from hiring--to work assignments--to team interaction--paid via Paypal (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Demand funnels each submitted article to an anonymous pool of copy editors (CEs) assigned to each special topic section (in 6 reviews)

• There was another person that started on MONDAY and were let go Tuesday (in 5 reviews)

"sales marketing"

Pros

lots of attention to culture

Cons

lots of stops and starts of initiatives

2. "Freelance Writer"

Former Employee - Freelance Subject Writer in Jersey City, NJ
    Former Employee - Freelance Subject Writer in Jersey City, NJ

I worked at Demand Media part-time (More than a year)

Pros

DM paid regularly and on time. The editorial process seemed fair, considered the company's "content mill" reputation.

Cons

Opportunities for new articles seem to have dried up. Last time I checked, I found that it was no longer possible to make any workable amount of money from DM.

Advice to Management

Either pay your writers more to incentivize them to take on less-than-ideal writing assignments, or find a new source of optimum writing opportunities.

"Working at Demand Media in 2016 [Tech side]"

I worked at Demand Media full-time

Pros

The benefits are good, industry standard and they're trying a lot to keep the employees happy in every way.

Cons

The company itself is not doing too well, the decisions which led to the fall of the company 3-4 years back are still being carried out. In addition, on the technology side, there are no new additions and the work is still being carried out with a old stack.

Demand Media Response

Sep 23, 2016 – People Team

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We do strive to keep our positive culture and increase employee happiness. I would say our benefits are above standard and continue to improve. Demand ... More

"studioD"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

Pros

Great culture, work-life balance and awesome people. By far one of the most talented, intelligent group of people i've ever worked with. They also have good benefits.

Cons

They're always changing, which I understand is part of an internet company. But in the year and a half that I was there, they must have had half a dozen lay offs... including myself, which is why I no longer work there.

Demand Media Response

Sep 9, 2016 – People Team

We appreciate your thoughts and for taking the time to write a review. We understand that change doesn't always come easy and in the recent years, there has been much change. We re-strategized and ... More

"Great culture and perks, but not a growing business"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Demand Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Everyone you work with will be very nice and really enjoy their work and their team
    - Lots of community activities and culture-building opportunities
    - Lots of perks, like bringing dogs into work and a fully-stocked kitchen

Cons

- Experience will vary a lot depending on the website you're working on, especially when it comes to feelings about work-life balance
    - Growing concerns about profitability are leading to greater pressure from management to deliver profit, which I've seen lead to an unintentional focus on quantity over quality

"Influencer and Content Marketing"

Former Employee - CONTENT/INFLUENCER MARKETING MANAGER in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - CONTENT/INFLUENCER MARKETING MANAGER in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Demand Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work space, amazing vacation policy, very friendly atmosphere. Good location in Santa Monica.

Cons

They lacked long term vision and were swayed too easily by changes in the market.

"Senior Director"

Former Employee - Senior Director in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Director in Santa Monica, CA

Pros

Fairly flat organization. Not a lot of hierarchy.

Cons

Management lacks direction. Tendency to throw things at the wall to see if they stick without doing any type of "proof of concept" analysis.

Advice to Management

Communicate clearly what your vision is for the company and inspire employees to execute.

"Bright Future?"

Former Employee - Software Developer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Austin, TX

I worked at Demand Media full-time

Pros

This company has struggled to find direction since inception, but that has changed. Sean Moriarty has cleaned house and given them more focus and a sound vision. The culture is somewhere between that of a startup and what you experience in more mature companies, which I liked.

Cons

Career growth for developers was lacking. Marketing and Product seem to run everything and promotions were often based on popularity instead of on real contributions to the product.

Advice to Management

Understand that you have valuable employees who are working hard, running your business every day and they often deserve something more tangible than their name and photo on a slide deck.

10. "Okay while it lasted"

Former Freelancer - Anonymous Freelancer
    Former Freelancer - Anonymous Freelancer

Pros

When I first started out as a freelancer, Demand Media was a great way to make money.

Cons

Some of the editors didn't understand the difference between writing and editing.

"Work is work"

Pros

Friday lunches, speaker series, happy hours

Cons

not enough on campus parking, fewer vacation days than other companies in the industry, lower pay than comparable companies