Demand Media Reviews | Glassdoor

Demand Media Reviews

Updated August 19, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • And the company was committed to their people as human beings with generous perks and work/life balance (in 14 reviews)

• Flexible work from home; Innovative - all electronic communication from hiring--to work assignments--to team interaction--paid via Paypal (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • There was another person that started on MONDAY and were let go Tuesday (in 5 reviews)

• Low pay, too many guidelines needed for what the work entails, too much research and rewrites required for what is very scant pay (in 5 reviews)

"I've seen fire, and I've seen rain."

Former Employee - Senior UI Engineer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Senior UI Engineer in Austin, TX

I worked at Demand Media full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

My career at Demand Media started when the company acquired Pluck in Mar 2008 and ended when the Austin office closed its doors in Aug 2015. During that time most of my experiences were positive ones. The culture was open and friendly. Good ideas were championed, no matter where they came from. Managers were encouraged to listen, and for the most part they did. People got along great with each other, no matter their role. And the company was committed to their people as human beings with generous perks and work/life balance.

Cons

It's difficult to list the cons for an organization you haven't been a part of for over a year, but I will try. Over the course of several years Demand Media made a handful of poor hiring choices in upper management, and a fair bit of internal damage was done before those choices were corrected. And for the last two or three years before the Austin office closed the company experienced a slow "brain drain" as smart, motivated employees left for better opportunities. Again, my perspective is at least a year old.

Advice to Management

I give Demand Media high marks for a positive culture and the excellent treatment of employees both past and present. Where the company suffers I think is in the global marketplace. Demand Media's branding is weak, and that's not to say that the logo needs changing. Almost any time I hear about Demand Media in the news the information is inaccurate and the attitude toward the company is neutral to hostile for all the wrong reasons. I think Demand Media needs to do a better job of sharing its powerful, positive vision of the future with the rest of the world.

Sep 2, 2016 – People Team

First and foremost, Thank you for your 5 plus years at Demand Media and recognition of our great culture and experience. We are glad that you got to share those 5 years experiencing and contributing... More

"Love working for Demand Media"

I have been working at Demand Media full-time

Pros

Culture
    Benefits
    Flexible schedule
    Work/life balance
    Provides opportunity
    Fun/ friendly colleagues
    HR really cares about you

Cons

No company is perfect! People think the grass is greener on the other side. They will figure it out once they realize they screwed up on leaving DM.

Advice to Management

Keep communicating, keep employees informed of changes sooner than later. Rather hear it from management then an article online or from someone else. Also, get rid of dead weight, discourages teams to keep pushing forward when not everyone is doing their part.

Sep 2, 2016 – People Team

Demand Media loves you working here. You are also correct, No Company is Perfect, and We are happy that you recognize this.

Your advice to Demand Media is a topic in which we have high focus... More

"studioD"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

Pros

Great culture, work-life balance and awesome people. By far one of the most talented, intelligent group of people i've ever worked with. They also have good benefits.

Cons

They're always changing, which I understand is part of an internet company. But in the year and a half that I was there, they must have had half a dozen lay offs... including myself, which is why I no longer work there.

Sep 9, 2016 – People Team

We appreciate your thoughts and for taking the time to write a review. We understand that change doesn't always come easy and in the recent years, there has been much change. We re-strategized and... More

"Working At Demand Media Is Awesome!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Demand Media full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Culture.
    Smart People.
    Awesome Perks.
    Amazing Work-Life Balance.
    Beautiful Office.

Cons

There are not any major cons I can think about. Working at Demand Media is great and I would definitely recommend it to other people.

"Don't Let the Perks Fool You"

I have been working at Demand Media full-time

Pros

Don't let the perks fool you, this company is hard at work. The perks aren't here to hide anything, just help you feel a little better about working hard. We've had snacks, lunch and more since before the IPO.

Over the past several years, I have seen this company shed its former image and steer a massive ship in a better direction. This has been challenging, painful at times, and certainly not for the feint of heart.

Quality is precisely what we are going after these days, and no one at the top believes that "quantity" is the answer.

The company has repeatedly sought the best talent externally, and has looked internally to elevate and deploy top performers to lead growth initiatives. They are putting a stop to title inflation and promotions for "you've been here awhile now", which may be tough for some to swallow, but its the right thing to do and good for culture long term.

Senior management and People Operations have an open door policy and no voiced idea goes unheard and no question is too taboo. It is incredibly empowering,.

Cons

Hard work required
    Little room for under performers
    Catered lunch on Fridays make people think we're hiding something
    Sense of satisfaction only comes after hard work
    Management empowers employees to take on more responsibility
    Promotions come with increases in responsibility
    Unlimited vacation plan makes it harder to burn out

Advice to Management

Success is not just about maintaining a winning streak; its about making progress from where you were. Keep pushing!

Aug 5, 2016 – Manager

Thanks for the compliments and we are happy to see that you recognize such great positives at Demand Media. You hit the nail on the head, we do have an exciting plan and vision for the company and it... More

6. "A great place to work."

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Santa Monica, CA

Pros

Demand Media pays developers well and provides perks that are unmatched in my experience. There were opportunities for professional development, outside speakers and some fun social events too. The caliber of employees and management is top notch. I had the pleasure of working with very talented engineers who provided mentorship and conducted themselves always in a professional manner. My team worked in Agile sprints, using code reviews and pull requests which kept code quality high. I enjoyed my time at Demand and would go to work for them again. I feel like the company has turned around its reputation as a content mill and is on the road to doing great things with marketplaces and high quality content production.

Cons

The downside of Demand Media in my opinion was the location in Santa Monica and L.A. in general. Housing for a family of four is astronomical anywhere within an hour commute, so after numerous rent increases and need for more space we were priced out of LA and a great job. They should do more to facilitate remote work so that employees aren't spending 10 hours a week commuting.

Advice to Management

My advice to management would be to experiment with more remote workers. It may even be possible to set things up in such a way as to not have the overhead of keeping a large office in Santa Monica.

Aug 18, 2016 – People Team

Thank you for your review and for noting our caliber of hiring. Demand Media does hire top notch employees and will continue to provide great mentorship and training for them.

We do thank you for... More

"Experiences to last a lifetime"

Pros

The opportunity to grow, learn, and innovate are boundless at Demand Media. From the Executive level down, you are surrounded by talented people that support, encourage, and challenge you to be the very best. The education that I received not only in my current profession, but outside of that is something I'll take away as I continue my journey. Demand Media is the most employee-centric organization that I've worked for - the company really recognizes that the employees are the most important asset.

Cons

None that I can think of.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

Aug 5, 2016 – Manager

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and we are glad to see you have had a positive experience. Your review noted two areas that Demand Media truly takes pride in, education and... More

"Great culture and perks, but not a growing business"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Demand Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Everyone you work with will be very nice and really enjoy their work and their team
    - Lots of community activities and culture-building opportunities
    - Lots of perks, like bringing dogs into work and a fully-stocked kitchen

Cons

- Experience will vary a lot depending on the website you're working on, especially when it comes to feelings about work-life balance
    - Growing concerns about profitability are leading to greater pressure from management to deliver profit, which I've seen lead to an unintentional focus on quantity over quality

"Hit or Miss"

I have been working at Demand Media full-time

Pros

Great culture, good benefits and decently competitive salary. A fair number of smart, dedicated people, who also like to have fun. Great location and office space. Some good web properties/platforms with potential.

Cons

Your experience can be heavily driven by your particular manager - and some are just not good leaders, even if they might have the right substantive experience. The company has been in recovery mode for a while and I think some will be winners and some will be losers.

Advice to Management

Need more accountability at the top with respect to promoting and emphasizing good management so that it can waterfall down to senior, then mid-management.

Aug 5, 2016 – Manager

Thanks for your review and your feedback, both pro and con. I would have to say that all though Demand Media has endured some changes, the company is not in recovery mode. Rather, the company is... More

"Pretty good"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Demand Media full-time

Pros

Culture
    Managers
    PMs and Engineers get along well
    Great work/life balance
    Flexible schedule

Cons

The properties aren't the most compelling.