Demand Media Reviews | Glassdoor

Demand Media Reviews

Updated August 19, 2017

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • And the company was committed to their people as human beings with generous perks and work/life balance (in 14 reviews)

• Flexible work from home; Innovative - all electronic communication from hiring--to work assignments--to team interaction--paid via Paypal (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • There was another person that started on MONDAY and were let go Tuesday (in 5 reviews)

• Low pay, too many guidelines needed for what the work entails, too much research and rewrites required for what is very scant pay (in 5 reviews)

"Work is work"

Pros

Friday lunches, speaker series, happy hours

Cons

not enough on campus parking, fewer vacation days than other companies in the industry, lower pay than comparable companies

"Director, Product Management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Demand Media full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice people, great office, good perks

Cons

No real career advancement, too much politics and really lacks direction

"Freelance Work"

Current Employee - Present Photo Editor in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Present Photo Editor in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Demand Media (More than 8 years)

Pros

You can work as much as you want, remote work, nice people.

Cons

Not a lot of work right now. Periodically they get bought out and some areas dry up.

"Upside down pyramid"

I worked at Demand Media full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

1. Great benefits 2. Used to be a good place to work at. 3. Used to have some really good engineers.

I enjoyed working there until late 2014 and after that it was all downhill until I left in 2015. While I was there, the work life balance was great, I always felt appreciated and I was always motivated to give it my 100%. It does throw an insane holiday party and the weekly food catering didn't hurt one bit.

Cons

1. Turned into an upside down pyramid - there is a lot more management than actual workers. I am not sure how the company can turn around with a lot of ideas but not enough people to implement it?
    2. A lot of undeserving people are being promoted and are leading teams. Without the requisite knowledge of the domain, how can someone be expected to lead the team?
    3. The last few of the good engineers are leaving and hiring people to replace those is a tough job and in some cases no effort was made to replace at all.
    4. The HR team is pretty weak - pretty incompetent and not very helpful.

Advice to Management

Please take stock of your teams again and organize them better. There is a lot of unnecessary management positions, where you should instead bring in people who do the actual work.

"Pros and Cons"

I worked at Demand Media full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Smart people work there for the most part. The new businesses they are running can be really exciting. The office in Santa Monica is really nice.

Cons

They have been in cost cutting mode for the past year or so- selling off divisions and closing the office in Austin. The big bets on their new businesses may not pay off.

Advice to Management

Their has been a complete management change (CEO and most SVPs) and the new mgmt team does not really see value in the products they have. That is their prerogative but I would worry that this could affect the companies future profitability.

6. "used to be a great place to find work"

Current Freelancer - Anonymous Freelancer
    Current Freelancer - Anonymous Freelancer

I have been working at Demand Media (More than 5 years)

Pros

They used to have hundreds, if not thousands, of articles to claim as a writer or editor. Not anymore. They favor bloggers with a following instead of actual trained writers.

Cons

There are pretty much no writing or editing jobs available (compared to before). If you are a blogger with a following, maybe you have a chance.

7. "Decent article mill, but beware standards creep"

Former Employee - Freelance Writer
    Former Employee - Freelance Writer

Pros

Demand offers an acceptable article-mill rate for writing ~500 word pieces and has a consistent and navigable system for writing and submitting them. The site eliminates the need to constantly hunt for work and provides a reliable pay rate and a client whose payments will not bounce or be retracted.

Cons

Editing is inconsistent and over the course of my 4 years of working there, requirements rose significantly. At one point there was a pay increase, but that was not always commensurate with the added demands. It's hard to be certain that titles are writeable and the work quality that was rewarded one week may be denied without payment the next. Standards for writers have also gone up, with DS requesting degrees and extensive work backgrounds for all authors, while only offering about .05/word.

Advice to Management

Increase consistency among editors and be reasonable about your expectations for the credentials of someone willing to accept a nickel a word.

8. "Nice People"

I worked at Demand Media (Less than a year)

Pros

People were nice, culture was good

Cons

Little too much transition and changes, probably unavoidable though

"Had a good run, local office was great"

I worked at Demand Media full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people. 100% the people. I made lifelong friends of the colleagues I worked with at Demand. Fair benefits that got better over time. Same with salary, which got closer to industry standards the last few years. The culture at the Austin office was great, I enjoyed my time there.

Cons

Huge disconnect between Santa Monica and Austin office. Austin office often looked down upon or regarded as less than valid. Had to deal with some completely unnecessary drama from the CA office from time to time.

Advice to Management

Seeing as the Austin office was completely shut down, they've taken care of the above-mentioned disconnect. Aside from that been unfortunate for me, I think the new management is doing a good job over there in reorganizing and focusing the business, and injecting some fresh blood into stale properties.

"Unsure Future"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Demand Media full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Overall Demand has been a great place to work. They provide great benefits and if you're on the right team they have some very talented people.

Cons

It has definitely gone downhill over the past year. Most everyone is unsure of the future of the company. New management is trying to put together a plan but everyone doesn't have much confidence at this point.

Advice to Management

I know it's a tough situation at this point but the moral is about as low as I've ever seen here as people are even unsure if they'll be employed in the near future. Hopefully when management figures out the "plan" then people will be more excited to come to work.