Demand Media Reviews | Glassdoor

Demand Media Reviews

Updated August 19, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • And the company was committed to their people as human beings with generous perks and work/life balance (in 14 reviews)

• Flexible work from home; Innovative - all electronic communication from hiring--to work assignments--to team interaction--paid via Paypal (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • There was another person that started on MONDAY and were let go Tuesday (in 5 reviews)

• Low pay, too many guidelines needed for what the work entails, too much research and rewrites required for what is very scant pay (in 5 reviews)

"Influencer and Content Marketing"

Former Employee - CONTENT/INFLUENCER MARKETING MANAGER in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - CONTENT/INFLUENCER MARKETING MANAGER in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Demand Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work space, amazing vacation policy, very friendly atmosphere. Good location in Santa Monica.

Cons

They lacked long term vision and were swayed too easily by changes in the market.

"Great brands and great people"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Demand Media (Less than a year)

Pros

The company makes its people a priority. Team members are expected to work hard but they are rewarded with great office culture. Every person feels like they can make a difference on their brands.

Cons

Culture and work expectations aren't necessarily consistent from team to team

Advice to Management

Keep up the great culture!

3. "Technical Support"

Former Employee - Technical Support Specialist in Westminster, CO
    Former Employee - Technical Support Specialist in Westminster, CO

I worked at Demand Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked with very smart, fun and hard working people. They have a lot of perks for working there.

Cons

Very fast pace work environment.

"Sinking Ship!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Demand Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Located in Santa Monica
    -Free Snacks
    -Vacation Policy

Cons

-Selling off sub-companies like hot potatoes, ZERO JOB STABILITY
    -No clear path for the future, no long term growth
    -HR team is nearly incompetent, offer very little help

Advice to Management

Don't misguide your current employees. Have a clear path and vision for the future.

"Enterprise Start-up"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Demand Media (More than 3 years)

Pros

Even though Demand is a public company, the attitude and work is startup oriented. If you can create value and move the product you work on forward, you can go as far as you want here. Demand is no longer a place for people to hide and receive a check.

I currently work with wonderful people and enjoy my job. This company recognizes talent and leadership, and it rewards hard work. The company cares about its people, their motivations, and especially their careers.

Cons

Even though traffic can be brutal, I really like that the office is on the Expo line.

"An entirely different company from when I joined..."

Current Employee - Director, Administration & Executive Assistant in Santa Monica, CA

Pros

I've worked at Demand Media for almost 2 years now, and since Sean became our CEO about 2 years ago, the company has developed into a very very different one. Now, with an entirely new executive team, a strong vision, fun & vibrant culture, and un-matched talent, it is hard to find any cons of working here.

The idea of being able to help contribute to a public company turn-around is extremely appealing to me and, I imagine, most others who work here. I get to use my creativity and brain in many different ways in order to help our team be successful...(AND work alongside very smart people while doing it!) Each day is a learning and growing opportunity, and I think that is what most people look for in a fulfilling career.

I would say, if you are not proactive and are unable to adapt to change, don't join the team. If you are willing to dive in, help others, make things happen and better than when you came in-- please join us!

Cons

A far commute from my house, but they can't help that :)

Advice to Management

Thank you for your hard work...it's not easy turning around a public company. Keep it up and ...onward!

7. "Good in your spare time"

Former Employee - Content Writer in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Content Writer in Chicago, IL

Pros

It is convenient to be able to work from home, and at your own pace. Payment was prompt also.

Cons

The subject matter is very sparse, which makes research extremely difficult at times. Editors also sometimes grade on opinion, rather than error.

"Less than one month at Demand and laid off."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Demand Media full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free snacks, dog-friendly, free lunch on Fridays, unlimited time off (never got to use this). The people I worked with were wonderful.

Cons

The pay was okay at best. When it comes down to it, you're just a number. No amount of free food will matter when it's time to let you go. I moved my life to LA for this job, which I truly believed to be a big next step in my career, and in less than a month, we were told that the company was shutting down its efforts and that our jobs were "affected." Think that's bad? There was another person that started on MONDAY and were let go Tuesday. They had this person start in full knowledge that they were letting us go—and they, like myself, left another job to come here for a new future.

Advice to Management

Treat people like actual people, not numbers. Not "business decisions." If you claim to be all about culture, walk the walk. I would NEVER recommend Demand to anyone.

"Incredible Opportunity"

I have been working at Demand Media full-time

Pros

The culture at Demand Media is optimistic, entrepreneurial and growth oriented. We are focused on building the best products, and I feel very fortunate to work on a platform that has a direct and positive impact on the lives of artists (and art enthusiasts).

Cons

The Santa Monica location is beautiful, but traffic can be congested. The Metro station opening directly across the street should help with some commutes.

"Nice Place to Work"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Demand Media full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent Office environment, wonderful perks for those in engineering land.
    Good mix of small startup mindset with large established money behind it.

Cons

Some of the tech is getting long in the tooth, and there is still an fairly high turnover given how I feel about the place - makes me wonder if I am missing something.

Advice to Management

Keep it going and remember that we are also in it for the cool tech - not just the bottom line and/or perks.