Demand Media Reviews | Glassdoor

Demand Media Reviews

Updated March 16, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • And the company was committed to their people as human beings with generous perks and work/life balance (in 14 reviews)

• Flexible work from home; Innovative - all electronic communication from hiring--to work assignments--to team interaction--paid via Paypal (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Copy editors are rude and self-serving (in 6 reviews)

• There was another person that started on MONDAY and were let go Tuesday (in 5 reviews)

"best company ever"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Santa Monica, CA

Pros

short story: was in the ER but I messed up on my insurance and something was wrong, my direct boss passed on this information to the HR department, and someone from HR reached out to my personal email (which was amazing because I didn't have my work email on my phone), and sorted everything out so fast that everything went super smooth while in ER and beyond. Literally saved my life :D

Cons

There's no cons to working here, they have free lunches all the times, great perks, great people, great environment, i literally have no complaints.

Advice to Management

Management fugging RULES here, they go so far beyond their expectations. usually management is lazy email forwarders but not here, management works way harder than the hardest workers.

"Its working!"

Current Employee - Recruiting Partner in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Recruiting Partner in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

The leadership that has come into Demand Media is world class. They obviously inherited some challenges (low stock price, restructuring of talent, selling off of divisions), so there are clearly some people not happy. What I can comment on is the company today. I have had the opportunity to work with CEO: Sean Moriarty, CTO: Brian Pike, EVP People: Jill Angel, CFO: Rachel Glaser. EVP Corporate Dev: Tawn Albright, SVP, Media: Daniel Bornstein, SVP Product & GM of eHow: Mitchell Pavao, Director of Recruiting: Jina Bazil, GM of Saatchi Art: Brock Meltzer, and GM of Society6: Malindi Davies. I am calling names out since its why I am writing such a good review. These people are world class, and making Demand a fantastic place to work. Look hard at the company and dont just listen to the noise of unhappy people that were the past of the company. Fee free to connect with me if you have any questions. This is one of the best places to be in 2016!!!

Cons

The past is negative. Surely, so you need to understand the future of the company.

"Great learning experience at data-driven publisher"

Former Employee - Editorial in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Editorial in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Demand Media (More than a year)

Pros

Great people in middle-management; interesting publishing model that can serve as a great base for understanding data driven publishing practices; met some great people.

Cons

Work environment was a bit impersonal; too many meetings; not the greatest cross-dept. teamwork, but lots of improvements made to that end before my leaving.

"Director, Product Management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Demand Media full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice people, great office, good perks

Cons

No real career advancement, too much politics and really lacks direction

"A great company before the transition"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Demand Media full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Beautiful office, dog friendly, and an abundance of snacks.

Cons

Non-qualified employees in management positions that don't have a clue of what they are doing. Some if not most of the HR department is incompetent and useless, unless you are a "friend" of the department. No clear direction of where the company is heading. Stock price has remained the same under the new CEO, no real improvement.

Advice to Management

More transparency, and don't make the favoritism so obvious.

"Freelance Work"

Current Employee - Present Photo Editor in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Present Photo Editor in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Demand Media (More than 8 years)

Pros

You can work as much as you want, remote work, nice people.

Cons

Not a lot of work right now. Periodically they get bought out and some areas dry up.

"Used to be a great place to work!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Demand Media (More than 5 years)

Pros

Food, nice office, dog friendly, stocked kitchen with great snacks, free lunch on Fridays, Pay to play, yoga in office, guest speakers, nice bathrooms,

Cons

Ever since Richard, founder, left, management has steadily let go too many talented people, and the company has been on a deep decline even more since new ceo, Sean took over.

Poor moral, layoffs often. Promised turn around is NOT going to happen. I would avoid Demand Media completely at this point in time.

Advice to Management

Resign, and replace with a team that knows what they are doing.

"Working for the underdog"

Former Employee - Contractor in Woodland Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Contractor in Woodland Hills, CA

I worked at Demand Media (More than 8 years)

Pros

Working for a company who's trying to recover its credibility as a profitable entity can be an exciting challenge especially while working with a group of employees who are pumped up to turn the business around.

Cons

It's hard to feel positive while working for this company that is trying to around yet spends an incredible amount of money just trying to keep their reputation above water. There is a feeling of impending doom that is notable among the senior staff.

Advice to Management

Stop spending so much money on trying to hold back your employees from leaving and focus on increasing the value of the stocks.

"Upside down pyramid"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Demand Media full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

1. Great benefits 2. Used to be a good place to work at. 3. Used to have some really good engineers.

I enjoyed working there until late 2014 and after that it was all downhill until I left in 2015. While I was there, the work life balance was great, I always felt appreciated and I was always motivated to give it my 100%. It does throw an insane holiday party and the weekly food catering didn't hurt one bit.

Cons

1. Turned into an upside down pyramid - there is a lot more management than actual workers. I am not sure how the company can turn around with a lot of ideas but not enough people to implement it?
    2. A lot of undeserving people are being promoted and are leading teams. Without the requisite knowledge of the domain, how can someone be expected to lead the team?
    3. The last few of the good engineers are leaving and hiring people to replace those is a tough job and in some cases no effort was made to replace at all.
    4. The HR team is pretty weak - pretty incompetent and not very helpful.

Advice to Management

Please take stock of your teams again and organize them better. There is a lot of unnecessary management positions, where you should instead bring in people who do the actual work.

"Change isn't easy"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Santa Monica, CA

Pros

Company is successfully shifting from a strictly SEO-driven ad revenue model to a more diversified set of properties with a heavy focus on e-commerce. It hasn't shown up in the stock price yet, but the revenue is there, and if you're working on any of the more successful teams or properties then it's a great time to be there - rapid growth, and the ability to try new things that comes as a result of success.

The growth also provides a lot of opportunities to branch out and try new things, take on new responsibilities, and invest heavily in your own career path.

Cons

If you're not working on one of the successful properties your team may get squeezed. If your manager doesn't know how to handle that then you may suffer for it. As a business, they're slowly figuring out how to get their under-performers back in gear, but it's a difficult process and there have been layoffs as a result.

This doesn't look good on the outside, but few of the under-performing properties are actually hiring until they've started turning things around, so if you're looking to join you're not likely to have to deal with this without forewarning.

Advice to Management

Keep lines of communication open, do your best to continually empower your middle managers to stand up for their teams when requirements aren't reasonable, and continue to focus on making the necessary cuts so that other portions of the business can continue to thrive. Aim for more competitive salaries for engineers or you'll risk falling behind the hiring curve.