Demand Media Reviews | Glassdoor

Demand Media Reviews

Updated November 30, 2016

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • And the company was committed to their people as human beings with generous perks and work/life balance (in 14 reviews)

• Flexible work from home; Innovative - all electronic communication from hiring--to work assignments--to team interaction--paid via Paypal (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Demand funnels each submitted article to an anonymous pool of copy editors (CEs) assigned to each special topic section (in 6 reviews)

• There was another person that started on MONDAY and were let go Tuesday (in 5 reviews)

"top heavy, toxic culture"

I worked at Demand Media full-time

Pros

freedom and flexibility to come up with new ideas, good for a very junior person looking for work experience

Cons

unclear company strategy, toxic culture, too top heavy

Advice to Management

Articulate the overall strategy. Create culture where there is on-going communication throughout the company about strategy and direction. Streamline senior management and give more power and support to managers.

"Work is work"

Pros

Friday lunches, speaker series, happy hours

Cons

not enough on campus parking, fewer vacation days than other companies in the industry, lower pay than comparable companies

"best company ever"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Santa Monica, CA

Pros

short story: was in the ER but I messed up on my insurance and something was wrong, my direct boss passed on this information to the HR department, and someone from HR reached out to my personal email (which was amazing because I didn't have my work email on my phone), and sorted everything out so fast that everything went super smooth while in ER and beyond. Literally saved my life :D

Cons

There's no cons to working here, they have free lunches all the times, great perks, great people, great environment, i literally have no complaints.

Advice to Management

Management fugging RULES here, they go so far beyond their expectations. usually management is lazy email forwarders but not here, management works way harder than the hardest workers.

"Great People and Products, Tough Biz Model"

Former Employee - Senior Account Manager
    Former Employee - Senior Account Manager

I worked at Demand Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company was made up some of the smartest, dedicated and supportive digital marketers I had ever worked with. The leadership team was keenly focused on success and my manager truly cared about her team.

Cons

Outside technologies and perceptions of the business were very challenging to overcome.

Advice to Management

Continue to refine the guidelines and processes around content creation and position Demand Media's properties as quality sources of information and entertainment.

"Sales"

I have been working at Demand Media full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Demand is a community of sellers that work together as a team to create innovative and creative client solutions. The editors are working on amazing editorial executions that make the brands shine.

Cons

Creating a new vision can sometimes be bumpy.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work.

"QA Engineer"

I have been working at Demand Media full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This is the best company i ever worked for. All kinds of benefits + people who work here are awesome!

Cons

Haven't see any cons yet.

"Its working!"

Current Employee - Recruiting Partner in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Recruiting Partner in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

The leadership that has come into Demand Media is world class. They obviously inherited some challenges (low stock price, restructuring of talent, selling off of divisions), so there are clearly some people not happy. What I can comment on is the company today. I have had the opportunity to work with CEO: Sean Moriarty, CTO: Brian Pike, EVP People: Jill Angel, CFO: Rachel Glaser. EVP Corporate Dev: Tawn Albright, SVP, Media: Daniel Bornstein, SVP Product & GM of eHow: Mitchell Pavao, Director of Recruiting: Jina Bazil, GM of Saatchi Art: Brock Meltzer, and GM of Society6: Malindi Davies. I am calling names out since its why I am writing such a good review. These people are world class, and making Demand a fantastic place to work. Look hard at the company and dont just listen to the noise of unhappy people that were the past of the company. Fee free to connect with me if you have any questions. This is one of the best places to be in 2016!!!

Cons

The past is negative. Surely, so you need to understand the future of the company.

"Great learning experience at data-driven publisher"

Former Employee - Editorial in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Editorial in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Demand Media (More than a year)

Pros

Great people in middle-management; interesting publishing model that can serve as a great base for understanding data driven publishing practices; met some great people.

Cons

Work environment was a bit impersonal; too many meetings; not the greatest cross-dept. teamwork, but lots of improvements made to that end before my leaving.

"Director, Product Management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Demand Media full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice people, great office, good perks

Cons

No real career advancement, too much politics and really lacks direction

"Good Gigs, Poor Communication"

I have been working at Demand Media full-time

Pros

I was invited to work for some reputable, high-end clients that really helped my resume. Despite complaints to the contrary, the work is consistent if you talk to the right people.

Cons

Communication isn't always great. They make a lot of changes to the guidelines and not everyone seems to get the memo. Therefore you have copy editors and writers working off of two completely different sets of guidelines. That can get frustrating.

Advice to Management

They've already cut out some of the less productive writers and copy editors. They'd be wise to continue to make cuts. Not everyone's editing or writing skills are up to snuff making the company as a whole look unprofessional at times.