Demand Media Reviews | Glassdoor

Demand Media Reviews

Updated August 19, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • And the company was committed to their people as human beings with generous perks and work/life balance (in 14 reviews)

• Flexible work from home; Innovative - all electronic communication from hiring--to work assignments--to team interaction--paid via Paypal (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • There was another person that started on MONDAY and were let go Tuesday (in 5 reviews)

• Low pay, too many guidelines needed for what the work entails, too much research and rewrites required for what is very scant pay (in 5 reviews)

"Was a great company and now it posts fake Glassdoor reviews to save face"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Santa Monica, CA

Pros

It had a great culture . Smart people , great benefits and a very positive work environment.
    Catered lunches and well stocked fridge.

Cons

horrible management. Toxic and all the smart people are leaving the company. You cannot take away benefits. Its the first company I worked for which revoked a benefit.

Advice to Management

There is not point. They will not listen. Atleast stop posting fake Glassdoor reviews.

"Amazing team"

Former Employee - Software Engineer Intern in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer Intern in Irvine, CA

I worked at Demand Media (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing people & atmosphere, nice and creative office

Cons

There are not cons at all

"On the ups"

I have been working at Demand Media full-time

Pros

very talented, smart and willing people open to sharing their resources, knowledge and skills.

Cons

the company is in transition, which means the top brass are focused on fixing current problems, limiting the vision for the future.

Advice to Management

keep lifting up those that are innovating and trail blazing

"Marketing Coordinator"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Demand Media full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great work place environment. Everyone around is very smart and talented. The company is picking up steam in many key areas. Certain properties have huge growth and will continue to perform well. Everyone is always willing to collaborate and give advice when needed. Movement amongst the company is very flexible and there is always room to grow upwards.

Cons

I don't have any major cons. The company has been in turnaround mode in the past but is starting to really hit its stride now.

Advice to Management

Continue to push innovation out of all the properties and sites owned by Demand. Keep Demand a leader in the online media space.

"Great Opportunity"

Current Employee - Manager, Software Engineering in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Manager, Software Engineering in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Demand Media full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Its a great time to be at Demand Media. The company has many diverse businesses, which are at different stages of operation. Some are in the high growth stage while some are in the middle of large transformations. This creates ample opportunity for anyone willing to dig in and perform.
    On the engineering front, there seems to be no shortage of hard problems to work on. Demand Media is a large organization with many businesses, which means there are many software systems to be built to support them. Engineers work in small teams and most senior engineers tend to lead their own projects. I have for the most parts been able to choose exactly what I work on.
    Demand Media also has an engineering internship program and they regularly hire interns who convert to full time positions. The method seems to work well here.
    Will end with agreeing with most other reviewers, that the culture is as good as it gets like is the case with many tech startups. Good benefits, smart people and good work life balance in general.

Cons

The stock price has been on the decline for a while and that causes the management to make tough decisions from time to time. But again that is expected of a company that is re-inventing itself.

Advice to Management

The entire management change was understandable but we seem to be going overboard and becoming a top heavy company. Many new VPs and EVPs.
    Also please do not take away any benefits once you offer them, no matter how small and trivial they are. It always will feel like a sore spot.
    Upper level management needs to do a lot more due diligence before investing in newer products (which IMO is necessary)

"Dying"

Former Employee - Engineer in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Engineer in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Demand Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Smart and friendly co-workers
    Takes care of employees
    Good benefits
    Location is great
    Food trucks and catered lunches

Cons

All the smart ones already left the company
    It's dying and it's not fun to work there anymore.
    The company is in maintainance mode .
    No new innovation.

Advice to Management

No point. They don't listen anyway

"Started from the Bottom"

Current Employee - Designer in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Designer in Santa Monica, CA

Pros

Started as an intern, was given a lot more responsibility than previous internships, and then I got a real job offer (which apparently happens quite a bit for interns here which is a huge plus for the younger members of the company)

Great team dynamic, awesome benefits, candy hallway. Need I say more?

Cons

Not a ton of cons... Can't really think of any.

"Professional, Creative and Cutting Edge"

Current Employee - Paralegal, Contracts in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Paralegal, Contracts in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Demand Media (Less than a year)

Pros

The employees at Demand Media are all extremely welcoming, professional, smart, creative and passionate about their work. There’s plenty of opportunity to work with different business lines on cutting edge creative content and brand promotions. The office location, design, layout, amenities, professional development training modules, perks and various employee benefit speaks to the positive culture and work environment that is felt throughout the office.

Cons

My drive in from Sherman Oaks is my only con but travel time is equal to morning drives into West Hollywood or Century City. No true cons here. Plus the Expo Metro train Line coming in 2016 will make it easy to catch a show or sporting event at L.A. Live or Staples Center in Downtown Los Angeles.

"Coming to work every day is a JOY!!"

I have been working at Demand Media full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people, the culture, the work and best of all . . . we can bring our dogs to work. I have never worked with a better group of people. Numerous people have left recently but there are lots of new and fresh faces that have been brought in to bring a new and exciting prospective to the business. I am looking forward to a long future here at DMD.

Cons

Too much food. . . there ALWAYS just too much food around (but I guess that is my problem and not everyone's!!)

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. . . it seems to be working.

"Manager"

Current Employee - Manager in West Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in West Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Demand Media (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great career advancement opportunities due to the relatively small size of the company. When an opportunity presents itself, there is a lot of flexibility to take on new responsibilities. Good place to learn about new business models, start-ups, and the online media/tech space in general. The office space is also very nice with a fully stacked kitchen and a dog-friendly environment.

Cons

Stock price has been on the decline for a while.

Advice to Management

Try to maintain the company culture.