Dematic Reviews | Glassdoor

Dematic CEO John Baysore
John Baysore

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. Featured Review

"Great company, people, opportunities"

Current Employee - Program Manager in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Dematic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Challenging and interesting work with smart and engaged colleagues means you're always learning.
    Fast pace keeps things fresh.
    Leaders are experienced, intelligent, and good people you want to follow.

Cons

The speed can be a little too fast sometimes, which makes it hard to have time to think vs. react.
    Training and development for people moving into leadership roles needs more focus.

Advice to Management

You're doing a great job keeping the business moving. Spend a little more time and energy developing employees to help everyone grow.

2. "Positive"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Dematic full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Make an effort to communicate with employees and improve our level of job satisfication

Cons

Changes are a work in progress

Advice to Management

Consider various work from home scenarios for certain positions.

3. "Perfect for right out of college."

Current Employee - Software Engineer I in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Software Engineer I in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Dematic full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The best reason to work for Dematic, I would have to say is co-workers. This is a great company to work for and everyone is very helpful and laid back. The company is also very flexible and very understanding.

Cons

The only thing I can say is the company has a lot of products and it can seem overwhelming in the beginning.

Advice to Management

I would have to say keep doing what you are doing. So far I have no complaints about management.

"Experience counts and Dematic is where you will get a whole lot of it."

Current Employee - Mechanical Systems Engineer II (SDG) in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Mechanical Systems Engineer II (SDG) in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Dematic full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I've been with the company for 8 years starting out in Sydney, Australia and have been at our American HQ in Grand Rapids for a year now and there are definite pro's for working at Dematic. Working as an engineer in a sales support role has a lot of variety in design work, and I have been given the opportunity to try out other positions for a week or two between peak workloads. The company pays well and will definitely look after you if you consider taking a position temporarily abroad (Australia, China, UK, Germany, for example where we have Regional HQs). The after hours social interaction is great too and there are a lot of opportunities to meet new people via the Grand Rapids Sports and Social Club, lunching in the cafeteria on site, working out in the fitness centre, or just socialising with work friends for happy hour. The company responds to employee suggestions proactively and does some great work with local charities. People are willing to help if you have questions (which you will have a lot of when you first start out).

Cons

With the size of the company, there is a large hierarchy, which while it gives you a lot of growth opportunities, it does have a little bit of a disconnect from top to bottom, but i have seen some definite improvements with this over time. Some deadlines with customers can get ridiculous and you get stressed out occasionally, but that is really the joys of full-time work.

Advice to Management

Make yourself visual to the employees by working in some of the groups from time to time and seeing the stresses, the pro's and con's to processes, and then build up visions, strategies, targets and processes from that. (eg: go out commissioning, build some conveyor in the shop, go on the odd sales call to customers during planning and design phases). I've heard this has done a lot for A) employee morale (as it looks like management cares about every role in the company and you can get direct feedback), B) process improvement (because with a company this large, change is easier to be made when it comes from the top down) and C) Gives management better experience to back up the numbers and feedback that you get through standard lines of communication. Back in Sydney office we had an issue with silos between different groups and I can see a bit of that happening here (even between different middle managers). Sydney seems to have worked through a majority of those issues there and it made it an easier working environment. In the end we are all one big team and we can all make each others lives easier, it's all for the better.

"This is a review coming from someone straight out of college. Worked as an applications engineer."

Pros

Dematic has great people and not to mention Grand Rapids has to be one of the nicest places to live in michigan.

Cons

Travel is mostly the only down side. Don't get me wrong traveling is nice occasionally but it can get to be alot. But traveling = money.

6. "Great Company, Great People"

Current Employee - Software Engineer III in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Software Engineer III in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Dematic full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of professional people and very satisfying to see a successful project.

Cons

Long hours, lots of redundancy, slow to change.

Advice to Management

Spend more time with training and standardization.

7. "Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Controls Engineer in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Controls Engineer in Grand Rapids, MI

Pros

Given responsibilities to handle projects

Cons

Frequent travelling back to back weekends

8. "Good Company, Exciting Opportunities"

Pros

New and exciting products to work with and projects to work on. Agile process is being implemented in several departments.

Cons

A lot of work to complete but not much help since there aren't many qualified engineers available.

9. "Enginering Manager"

Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Dematic full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Growing company, great people, excellent reputation. Customers know Dematic is the best and will not walk away.

Cons

Travel required for most positions

"Great company who cares about their employees"

Former Employee - Spare Parts Research & Documentation Specialist in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Dematic (More than a year)

Pros

Employees are encouraged to look for better ways of accomplishing tasks. Good management. A lot of employee events like lunch, ice cream, donuts, and other fun events. Salaries are good. There is a lot of growth in the company and they promote from within often.

Cons

Not all managers are as good as others, depends on the department. It can be frustrating when hours are cut due to lack of work and then it is mandatory OT due to too much work. It makes it hard to budget.

Advice to Management

Be considerate of employees if possible when it comes to OT and cut hours. Continue to listen to employees and try to make it a good environment.