Dematic Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
John Baysore

Pros
  • Lots of great people to work with (in 9 reviews)

• Good Benefits and the company is interested in helping the employees get training (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Travel and work long hours when you do travel (in 8 reviews)

• Upper management needs to listen to employees (in 7 reviews)

"Got out of Reddwerks in time!"

Former Employee - S/W Quality Assurance Engineer and Tester in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - S/W Quality Assurance Engineer and Tester in Austin, TX

I worked at Dematic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I liked most of the people I worked with in Austin. There were some exceptions, but it was a smart bunch of people.

Cons

Projects were poorly managed. Usually the requirements were vague and not well defined. Go-lives could go on for weeks, with up to 10 people coding on the fly on-site. It was all very stressful, and most left in a year or soo. It got even more worse after they got bought up. Then they actually had to make a profit and everyone was panicking. They also stopped sponsoring Green Cards, which was a non-starter for me.

Advice to Management

Offer some trainging and development. Otherwise people will leave and you will lose valuable skills,

2. "Great people, industry leader, lots of resources"

Current Employee - Control Systems Engineer
    Current Employee - Control Systems Engineer

I have been working at Dematic full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Leader in the industry, lots of available resources for help, positive experience working with management

Cons

Travel is the biggest disadvantage, salaries should be more competitive

"Austin office is shrinking fast"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Austin, TX

I worked at Dematic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked with some smart people there. Unfortunately the best ones left very quickly due to the very unstructured environment.

Cons

I liked my peers at Reddwerks, but I had to leave as the environment was total chaos. You basically sat doing nothing for months, and then you were suddenly sent on-site for weeks, working non-stop, around the clock fixing bugs. All projects I worked on were a total mess. Training was non-existent. People were fired left and right. You never knew why, but I guess it was due to poor profitability. Information was very much kept under wraps. I heard thing got even worse in 2017, so I am glad I got out of there,

Advice to Management

Replace the management team in Austin. They are basically clueless on how to run a business. I never saw the CEO on the floor talking to people during the 2 years I worked there. Not sure what he was doing.

"Big Company Stability and Legacy Problems"

I have been working at Dematic full-time

Pros

Excellent work-life balance. Great engineering talent (especially the newer teams).

Cons

Bureaucracy and siloed teams can stymie innovation and rapid development.

"Very happy"

Current Employee - Technical Training Specialist in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Technical Training Specialist in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Dematic full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I really enjoy working for Dematic. It's a strong company, that was just purchased by a large much larger corporation for it's large customer base and good performance. The benefits are fair, salaries competitive, positive working atmosphere, your work is appreciated, and management is interested in employee satisfaction and retention. Also Ulf Henriksson is no longer with Dematic.

Cons

Some uncertainty exists about what the new parent company will do with Dematic at the department level in terms of consolidation. The problematic move of manufacturing to Mexico remains a strain on the entire company and customers are concerned.

Advice to Management

Continue to provide a good place to work and the talent will stay.

7. "Another failing Austin startup (Reddwerks)"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Austin, TX

I worked at Dematic (More than 3 years)

Pros

Reddwerks was bailed out by Dematic in 2015, at the brink of disaster, and saved the jobs for many.

Cons

As a software engineer you will not learn a lot at Reddwerks. There was no training or methodology, you were just thrown into random projects to patch old and undocumented code. There was not even a SW manager for months! I had high hopes that Dematic buying Reddwerks would change things, but the chaos remained, so I finally left. Things are changing so fast in this industry that you can not afford to work where there is no development potential.

Advice to Management

I did not see much of the management team, except for at company meetings every 3 months or so.

8. "Typical Large Company"

I have been working at Dematic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, many locations to work from, positive growth outlook, very stable company.

Cons

Internal communication between departments is lacking, IT department projects not very well planned/staffed, corporate can be tone deaf to satellite offices.

9. "On balance, working at Dematic in Sydney was good"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney (Australia)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney (Australia)

Pros

When working in the office, there was a very good work-life balance. Although there was a fairly strict expectation to be in the office between the hours of 9 to 5, with starting earlier or later not really being an option, this was not one of those workplaces where working overtime was normally expected of you.

Management and the team I was working in were very friendly. Expectations were clearly explained.

Everyone on our team was highly motivated to deliver the best to the customers.

The office is in a beautiful bushland location, but it's reasonably easy to get there by bus.

Cons

During periods of site work, the hours were sometimes long, without compensation. You were expected to do the extra hours without pay, even as a contractor.

Management is under pressure from the head office in the USA to cut costs and to adopt practices that are likely have deleterious consequences for Dematic's great reputation with customers, as well as for staff morale. Let's hope that sense prevails.

Advice to Management

To the management in Sydney: keep doing what you're doing.

To their overseas masters: stop pressuring management in Australia to adopt bad practices.

10. "Fun Times"

Pros

Challenging Projects provide job satisfaction

Cons

Limited Resources sometimes result in stress.

"Project Manager"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Dematic full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people on your own level to work with. Everyone is friendly and helps one another. Pay and Med/Dental Benefits are decent.

Cons

Looked like a great place to work. Management stressed work/life balance was great when it was not. They work you long hours. Director level management was highly unprofessional, conducting meetings intoxicated, hiding personal gain expense reports under subordinates and senior leader leadership at VP level looked the other way after being informed of problem. HR was informed and nothing was done. I had to resign it was so unethical and unprofessional. I do not recommend anyone seek employment at dematic. Stay away!!!

Advice to Management

When management makes mistakes they should be held accountable for their actions. Ethics policies are not just for the "worker bees" they are for management as well.