Democracy Prep Public Schools Reviews

Updated May 6, 2021

3.5
Democracy Prep Public Schools CEO Natasha Trivers (no image)
Natasha Trivers
Pros
  • "Las Vegas campus has the MOST GROWTH in the state among schools with over 200 scholars(in 33 reviews)

• "There are so many opportunities to grow as an educator whether it is LeaderU, DPYou, or professional development sessions facilitated by experts(in 28 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Long hours (7:00-4:30)---Will need to balance home/work life(in 57 reviews)

• "Absolutely no work-life balance(in 39 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Great programs

May 6, 2021 - Director, Community and Government Affairs in Washington, DC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Impactful work in the community. Thoughtful programming. Well connected staff.

Cons

Small. Contract reliant firm. In person

2. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Run, Run, Run

Apr 16, 2021 - Middle School Teacher
      Business Outlook

Pros

The population of students at DP are great. The students truly come into the school ready to learn and devote their time and energy to their education. DP also has a very strong civic framework that they implement very well. Each morning they discuss major social events and really think through hard questions.

Cons

Just about every other structure at DP, outside of Civics, is completely toxic. At the ( DPCMS ) campus there is no accountability where leadership is concerned. The leaders regularly micro-manage in a way that negatively shifts staff investment. Leaders here constantly belittle staff, and create work culture that inhibits growth. The culture set for the students is even worse. It is highly oppressive. Students are not allowed to speak in the halls, asked to walk in yellow lines, and are encouraged to read books as they walk. This was always problematic for me as it greatly mimics prison and does not allow for normal social development. My biggest issue with DP is the negligence they have displayed with scholars with special needs. IF YOUR CHILD HAS SPECIAL NEEDS, DO NOT SEND THEM HERE! DP has a high turnover rate and is unable to find special ed teachers who can serve the students. However, they have a high concentration of kids with IEP and no structure or staff to adequately support them. They even lie in IEP meetings and make up services that don't exist. They dont pay well and froze salaries this past year. I think there needs to be a huge external/internal review of this Network.

3. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

I grew a lot as a rookie teacher but this place is definitely not your destiny.

May 6, 2021 - Math Teacher in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

If you wish to teach without a proper state certification, this place is a good place to start as a professional teacher. They help you a lot to grow to be a stronger teacher. I had four times a week of formal observation, twice a week of feedback time with a coach, and the system is very tight to measure your work. (I only get twice a YEAR of formal observation in a different school. Think about it, four times a week vs. twice a year!) You will have very special relationships with your students since many of them need someone to rely on and someone to guide them. Right now, I am working in an affluent neighborhood, where students do not really rely on teacher emotionally. If you want to be a teacher who makes a huge difference in students' lives, then, you will enjoy Democracy Prep.

Cons

Wow, I have so many to mention for cons. Where do I start... First of all, there is no security of continuation of your job here. Normally, if you carry 100% of your responsibility (or close to 100%) and work honestly and genuinely, people won't fire you. Here, that is not a case. They can fire you no matter how much you try. The rating of teachers are objective but decisions to continue working with whom or not is completely subjective. Since it is subjective, "favoritism" is a culture. Personally, I think this favoritism within staff influence favoritism between teachers and students, even if you don't try to do it to your own students. It is just culture. I am totally not the type of a person who is good at sucking up to someone. I just work hard and that is how I get acknowledged by the current school. When I was in Democracy Prep, I was really the weakest and lowest performing teacher. For example, out of 1 to 4, my rating from Democracy Prep was 1.8. Next year, when I received rating from current workplace (public school), I received 3.9. How can I received 1.8 and next year with 3.6 in another school??? I think it was really due to the culture that they see other things than pure teaching. There was a team called "Dream Coach" who took care of those problematic kids, especially when they were sent to "send outs". What I did not agree about the culture is that, since I was known as a weak teacher, they often partially blamed me for the bad behavior from the kids. I understand that they just tried to reconcile the relationship between teachers and students but it created a wrong message to kids that they can act bad and blame teachers. Just to give readers an idea, the school I am currently working at, have 5 deans who take care of problematic kids. They NEVER blamed me. Their act of not blaming teachers create an environment that students are not allowed to act bad because there is really no excuse. Because Democracy Prep failed to make this tone, it was harder for soft teachers like me to handle way-too-strong kids.

4. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Committed to Race Equity Work, Rigorous academics, civics, and restorative practices

Apr 7, 2021 - Human Rources in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Democracy Prep has embarked on an incredible evolution. We are making sure we get consistently excellent academic and civics results across all 24 schools and a special education program. We are also putting a strong stake in the ground around race equity, diversity, equity, and inclusion, and restorative practices at all of our schools. We have always been committed to developing our people so they can be the very best educator/ scholar support teammate but that has only grown stronger given these new priorities.

Cons

We work HARD. And are incredibly passionate about what we do. For some, that can be overwhelming.

5. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Amazing First Job Post-Grad

Apr 7, 2021 - External Affairs Associate in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Supportive Community - Cross-Team Collaboration - Autonomy of your own work - Really flexible about working from home - Always follow COVID-19 Guidelines - Reflective organization and committed to growing

Cons

- Sometimes the hours are long (not always), but this is due to working from home. It's easy to do more work when your work station is at home, rather than coming home from an office.

6. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

A space for Growth

Apr 7, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Really committed staff members; chances to learn across the team when working at the Charter Management and great benefits. I also see a great shift in the organization in combating anti-racism.

Cons

Sometimes you do have to work after work hours; can be stressful at times.

7. 5.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Supportive and challenging

Apr 16, 2021 - High School Principal, Charter School in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Principals have some independence on their systems and culture.

Cons

The hours are very long

8. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Administrative Manager

Apr 6, 2021 - Administrative Manager in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

This is a great company to work for, it feels like a family.

Cons

The salaries are not the great, there are more competitive salaries elsewhere.

9. 3.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Hardest job of my life

Apr 22, 2021 - Teacher, Elementary School
      Business Outlook

Pros

Staff and leadership support one another, competitive salary, and lessons plans can be shared.

Cons

Some of the students are really great but the handful of students in each class lead to massive distractions and chronic stress.

10. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Stressful but overall supportive and humble place

Mar 15, 2021 - Teacher, Elementary School in Baton Rouge, LA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great staff culture, collaboration between grade and content teams, present and supportive coaches, school is actively responding to call to become more antiracist in their leadership and pedagogy

Cons

Long hours (kids are there for about 7.5 hours, staff for close to 10), lots of deadlines for creating lesson plans and entering grades

1 person found this review helpful