Democracy Prep Public Schools Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
Katie Duffy

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Work life balance is a bit hard to achieve" (in 25 reviews)

• "Long hours (I'm typically at work for 11" (in 30 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"It takes hard work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Camden, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Camden, NJ

I have been working at Democracy Prep Public Schools full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I’ve been working at Democracy Prep for the past 6 months and I’m very happy. I’m glad to be part of an organization that truly cares about education and is impacting communities across the US. The work that we do is not an easy one, but we know it, and we’re willing to put in the hard work. In return, DP takes care of their employees by providing us with growth opportunities, a comprehensive benefits packet, competitive salaries, professional development and more. Our mission is very simple, but it’s a powerful one.

Cons

The only think I can think of is that this is not a 9-5 job. However, if you're looking to make a noticeable impact in education, a 9-5 job is not going to cut it.

Oct 2, 2018 – Recruitment Outreach Associate

Thank you for this review! We’re glad that you are happy at Democracy Prep and are so dedicated to our mission. We agree, the work is certainly not easy, but we’re changing urban education across the... More

2. "Developing"

Current Employee - Teacher in New York, NY

I have been working at Democracy Prep Public Schools full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunities for growth, developing new schools.

Cons

Long hours, plus an 40 extra hr requirement outside of workday.

Advice to Management

Reduce hours, so you don't burn people out. More diversity in Leadership.

3. "Middle School Teacher"

I worked at Democracy Prep Public Schools full-time

Pros

It's an extended school day, but there is lots of prep time built in.

Cons

The long hours lead to burn out pretty quickly.

"Social Worker"

I worked at Democracy Prep Public Schools full-time

Pros

Salary and summer time off.

Cons

Everything else. Racist, classist charter school obsessed with respectability politics, punishment, and subordination of students and staff of color. Leadership is awful. It's a traumatizing work environment and most staff leave within their first year.

Advice to Management

Stop thinking you're saving all these black and brown children from poverty and trauma.

"Review for Democracy Prep Schools"

Former Employee - Math Teacher in Bronx, NY
    Former Employee - Math Teacher in Bronx, NY

I worked at Democracy Prep Public Schools full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Salary is pretty good. Better than DOE
    The schools are nicely decorated and very clean. Cool libraries too
    I learned a lot from my math coach
    You get to form relationships with teachers and students
    sometimes you get free food and other goodies

Cons

Longer hours than DOE
    Lack of transparency regarding evaluations. They were never particularly clear as to what system they use. in the DOE they used Danielsen Framework. I never received any rubric or guidance as to what they are looking for.
    They have a "no excuses" policy regarding students. But in the end teachers will always get blamed if students are not performing well. So in reality administrators are making excuses for students.
    You can be let go for any or no reason. My contract was not renewed because I did not build strong enough relationships with students. That is ridiculous because most kids did like me.
    New teachers aren't treated the same as veteran teachers. Veterans usually have contracts renewed even though I have seen very negative interactions with students. New teachers are much more vulnerable.
    They hold teachers accountable but not students.
    Many teachers leave during the year. The CEO denies this but she is a delusional fool.
    Students are tough to teach. They like to "test" new teachers.

Advice to Management

When many teachers leave during the year there is something wrong with management. Treat teachers like professionals and give them more guidance regarding observations. Stop making excuses for students. Not everything is the teachers fault. you are to blame as well.

6. "Leader U Resident/Fellow"

I have been working at Democracy Prep Public Schools full-time

Pros

Strong Leadership Trainings to grow practice

Cons

Salary varies -- no set standard

"Feels like Home"

I have been working at Democracy Prep Public Schools full-time

Pros

Teaching at Democracy Prep restored my confidence as a teacher. I came from a DOE school where the demands were high, but there was no support. Democracy Prep has high expectations, but it values professional growth and provides teachers with the tools they need to be successful. I have always appreciated the relationships I have had with my school leaders. They respect my input and value my voice.

Cons

Democracy Prep came from a "no excuses" model and is still in the process of reexamining the effectiveness of its discipline system. Less experienced teachers rely heavily on consequences for behavior management.

Advice to Management

We need to be reflective and adaptive to current research and what works best to support children's social emotional development.

"Lose all life outside of work"

Current Employee - Teacher in New York, NY

Pros

The salary is high if you don’t mind working 10 hours a day, five days a week, plus unexpected extra 40 hours Unpaid overtime throughout the year.

Cons

I was a super long and you were micromanaged minute by minute, the principal lacks any compassion and only criticizes, doesn’t speak to Strank’s, the workload is extremely heavy and tiring and many teachers are always crying and often quitting. The students are miserable and given consequences for every little thing like leaning their head on their chin while writing or reading, even if they’re paying 100% attention. There are multiple staff meetings like 7:10 AM every Monday and professional development until 5 PM every Friday. There are also only five personal/sick days for the whole year and many random late night events throughout the year they’re not told when you sign contract. If you don’t have pets and these events, you get your personal days taken away from you and additional hours added to the 40 hours of unpaid overtime everyone is required to do. there is also an out-of-state trip each year for about three days which they don’t tell you about when signing contracts but you must go on the trip or lose two personal days.

Advice to Management

Acknowledge that teachers are humans with lives outside of school too.

9. "Good intentions - so-so execution"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bronx, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bronx, NY

I worked at Democracy Prep Public Schools full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Teachers appear to really work towards closing the achievement gap.
    Pay is equal to, or better than, NYC DOE salary.

Cons

Over emphasis on observations without much guidance for follow-up.

Nov 13, 2018 – Recruitment Outreach Associate

Thank you for writing a review. We agree, our DREAM team works tirelessly to ensure that every scholar has the tools to succeed in college and beyond. We are proud of every single member of the DPPS... More

10. "Operations"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Democracy Prep Public Schools full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've met amazing individuals who have helped me grow professionally.

Cons

Hours are very long so make sure to have a work life balance that caters to your health. Not enough support when needed. It will all depend on your leadership whether or not you will love going to work.

Advice to Management

Less Professional Developments that repeat the same thing every year and more focus on one on one development.

Nov 13, 2018 – Recruitment Outreach Associate

Thank you so much for leaving this review. We love talented DREAM team members and we are committed to developing our educators. You are right; DPPS’ hours are longer than the standard. We make this... More