Democracy Prep Public Schools Reviews

Updated May 21, 2020

3.9
Democracy Prep Public Schools CEO Natasha Trivers (no image)
Natasha Trivers
Pros
  • "Las Vegas campus has the MOST GROWTH in the state among schools with over 200 scholars(in 32 reviews)

• "There are so many opportunities to grow as an educator whether it is LeaderU, DPYou, or professional development sessions facilitated by experts(in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • "Long hours (7:00-4:30)---Will need to balance home/work life(in 48 reviews)

• "It's hard to maintain work/life balance - but possible(in 36 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Perfect balance of autonomy and structure!"

Current Employee - CMO Staffer in New York, NY

I have been working at Democracy Prep Public Schools full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

At Democracy Prep, you are given a strong framework: here is a clear job description, here is the reporting structure, here is our mission and the CMO role toward the schools. But, you are also respected as a professional to be creative on behalf of that mission. You are not micro-managed. You are developed. You are given frameworks, templates, supports. But, you are also given a ton of freedom to figure things out for your individual role, for your team, and for some of the Network's priorities.

Cons

Ed reform work is hard. It is taxing, it is sometimes thankless, and it is a real time commitment.

Democracy Prep Public Schools2019-11-01
  2. "A Great School to Work For"

Current Employee - Teacher in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Democracy Prep Public Schools full-time

Pros

This is a school that helps amazing kids get to college. Yes that means a lot of work from adults, but that is what makes it special

Cons

If you are not willing to put in 10-12 hours a day for your students, this job will not appeal to you.

Democracy Prep Public Schools2020-05-21
  3. "Best charter network in the country"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Democracy Prep Public Schools full-time

Pros

The balance of rigor and joy is right. it's not a factory and it's not a slog, it's hard work but amazingly fulfilling

Cons

It's hard. the work doesn't get easier, but the kids and colleagues make it worth it.

Democracy Prep Public Schools2020-05-06
  4. "Unfinished"

Current Employee - Substitute Teacher

I have been working at Democracy Prep Public Schools full-time

Pros

Great kids, staff and benefits.

Cons

The hours are long. Leaders are new and will focus on the “fires” which slows development of all teachers.

Democracy Prep Public Schools2020-05-20
  5. "Very good place"

2.0
    Former Employee - Teacher in Bronx, NY

I worked at Democracy Prep Public Schools full-time for less than a year

Pros

I was hired to teach the previous year. Unfortunately, due to health related issues I had to resign. The principal of Endurance Middle School is very welcoming and she really cares about students.

Cons

I worked only the first week, and the hours were incredibly long. We started at 7:20 and finished after 5. That’s almost 12 hours, and we did not get paid overtime.

Democracy Prep Public Schools2020-05-13
  6. "Good Job to have."

Current Employee - Teacher, Elementary School in New York, NY

I have been working at Democracy Prep Public Schools full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good work environment for the most part.

Cons

There are long work hours.

Democracy Prep Public Schools2020-04-28
  7. "Well meaning but lacking resources"

Former Employee - Lead Teacher in New York, NY

I worked at Democracy Prep Public Schools full-time

Pros

The kiddos are wonderful to work with!

Cons

Very challenging job, busy work, lack of necessary resources, weak curriculum

Democracy Prep Public Schools2020-04-16
  8. "Working for Democracy Prep Public Schools"

Current Employee - Finance Manager

I have been working at Democracy Prep Public Schools full-time for less than a year

Pros

Continuously reinforces administrative effectiveness by providing development opportunities, such as anti-racist training, specified field training, and support.

Cons

D.P. encourages employees to solve their own problems. There is no rule book. A great place to work if you have the drive and an ambitious work ethic.

Democracy Prep Public Schools2020-02-25
  9. "Compassionate and Genuine Mission-Driven Organization"

Current Employee - Curriculum Specialist in New York, NY

Pros

This is the first organization I've worked for in my career in which everyone I've met is very genuinely dedicated to the mission of not only bettering the lives of our students and communities, but also of facilitating the growth of future leaders and change-agents. DP is different from other charter organizations in its commitment to civic engagement and social justice, so it tends to attract people who are in the work for the right reasons. The students are unusually kind, eager, and empathic for the most part, although this trait can vary by campus, so visits are key. I've been very impressed with our organization's commitment to DEI (diversity, equity, and inclusion) work at all levels. For teachers, the benefit is that the network provides a pretty solid curriculum with all materials and assessments created; the teachers' job is to internalize those lessons. Teachers are given significant PD support and coaching.

Cons

Like most public schools and charter organizations, money is tight. Teachers sometimes have to teach extra classes when people are out. The network is newly committed to using substitutes for long term situations, which has been a game changer on overworked staff.

Democracy Prep Public Schools2020-02-18
  10. "Mission-Driven Network With Opportunities for Growth"

Current Employee - Curriculum Specialist in New York, NY

I have been working at Democracy Prep Public Schools full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Civics-driven mission, quality professional development, generous benefits, driven managers.

Cons

Long work hours, benefits favor longevity

Democracy Prep Public Schools2020-02-06