The latest conversations about Teachers
Got a burning question about Democracy Prep Public Schools? Just ask!
On Glassdoor, you can share insights and advice anonymously with Democracy Prep Public Schools employees and get real answers from people on the inside.
What are your colleagues talking about?
Top Review Highlights by Sentiment
Excerpts from user reviews, not authored by Glassdoor
- "Long hours: school day really started at 7:30am and kids did not leave until 4pm." (in 50 reviews)
- "No work life balance in the space" (in 24 reviews)
- "Extra Long Hours" (in 20 reviews)
- "Horrible leadership both have been fired since my departure." (in 15 reviews)
- "–behavior management throughout the school was horrible, and kids were constantly getting removed from the classroom and sent to an overcrowded DREAM room" (in 6 reviews)
Ratings by Demographics
This rating reflects the overall rating of Democracy Prep Public Schools and is not affected by filters.
- Race / Ethnicity
- Sexual Orientation
- Parent or Family Caregiver
- Veteran Status
Found 389 of over 396 reviews
Updated Sep 16, 2023
- Most Recent
- Highest Rating
- Lowest Rating
- 5.0Jun 9, 2023English TeacherCurrent Employee, more than 3 yearsNew York, NY
Great leadership support and campus moral
The network does not care about its campus
- 4.0Jul 26, 2023Anonymous EmployeeCurrent Employee, more than 1 yearNew York, NY
Leadership is open, accessible and communicates well even in tough situations
Great organization but budget cuts have left the same amount of work with significantly less people. Not sustainable and will lose the best people
- 2.0Aug 24, 2023TeacherFormer EmployeeNew York, NY
Good chance for the career changers.
Very stressful. understaffed. Rules are not strict and kids know this. no substitute teacher..
- 2.0Jul 25, 2023TeacherFormer Employee, more than 1 yearHarlem
some of the staff were friendly, opportunities for professional growth.
Toxic work environment. Adults talking about other adults. Also, teachers are expected to sub for other teachers that are out. They don’t hire subs. This was a big problem seeing as 4-5 teachers were out (often) and left others to pick up their slack. It was stressful not knowing if teachers were going to show up.1
- 1.0Mar 31, 2023English TeacherFormer Employee, more than 3 yearsHarlem
Punishes kids to keep them compliant, creates an adversary system hires under false pretenses and moves you to other positions treated teachers like disposable trash fear based hierarchy from the top bottom, which creates absolute chaos for the kids as well and teaching trying to hit the marks no support or training no support from principals/leadership re-traumatizing kids from the hood by treating them like convicts in how they deal with behavior
social justice based mission, BUT it's rooted in poor execution, unhealthy work atmosphere (toxic institution), poor mental health of all employees. Not worth any amount of $1
- 5.0Apr 21, 2023TeacherCurrent Employee
Teachers and Scholars are like family in a positive learning environment.
Closing 6/2023. A new school will be in the community that will not be able to accommodate the students that are currently enrolled.
- 3.0May 19, 2023Anonymous EmployeeFormer Employee
Everyone cares deeply and it feels as real as anything I've felt in a school organization
Mismanagement of money (both illegal acts and current spending priorities) is an issue. Lots of money is spent on travel that should go to retaining jobs.
Democracy Prep Public Schools Reviews FAQs
Democracy Prep Public Schools has an overall rating of 3.1 out of 5, based on over 396 reviews left anonymously by employees. 50% of employees would recommend working at Democracy Prep Public Schools to a friend and 43% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has decreased by -4% over the last 12 months.
50% of Democracy Prep Public Schools employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Democracy Prep Public Schools 2.5 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.2 for culture and values and 3.3 for career opportunities.