Democracy Prep Public Schools Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
Katie Duffy

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Long Hours, Unexperienced Leadership, Low work/life balance" (in 26 reviews)

• "Long hours, plus an 40 extra hr requirement outside of workday" (in 31 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"It takes hard work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Camden, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Camden, NJ

I have been working at Democracy Prep Public Schools full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I’ve been working at Democracy Prep for the past 6 months and I’m very happy. I’m glad to be part of an organization that truly cares about education and is impacting communities across the US. The work that we do is not an easy one, but we know it, and we’re willing to put in the hard work. In return, DP takes care of their employees by providing us with growth opportunities, a comprehensive benefits packet, competitive salaries, professional development and more. Our mission is very simple, but it’s a powerful one.

Cons

The only think I can think of is that this is not a 9-5 job. However, if you're looking to make a noticeable impact in education, a 9-5 job is not going to cut it.

Democracy Prep Public Schools Response

Oct 2, 2018 – Recruitment Outreach Associate

Thank you for this review! We’re glad that you are happy at Democracy Prep and are so dedicated to our mission. We agree, the work is certainly not easy, but we’re changing urban education across the... More

2. "Eh...."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Democracy Prep Public Schools full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent pay, good benefits, laptop provided

Cons

Very long hours and lots of things to juggle

3. "Stay Away"

Current Employee - Registrar
    Current Employee - Registrar

I have been working at Democracy Prep Public Schools full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They have good benefits, and have a good retirement match program.

Cons

They are not what they seem.

"Avoid like the Plague - Deceiving Appearances"

Former Employee - Teacher in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Teacher in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Democracy Prep Public Schools full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits -- 403b matching, full medical benefits, but can be costly depending on which of the two plans you choose

Cons

Admin, Leadership, Overworked Unnecessarily, long school day, no support from leadership, ethics.

People have jumped ship at alarming rates to leave this environment in the elementary, middle, and high school. No full staff because they keep firing people and the staff that remain are usually young and inexperienced. You bring up a concern, it makes you a target. Ageism is practiced here which is wrong. No responses to school bullying. Severely micro-managed. You have lesson plans from HQ but you have to adapt and modify them and do an incredible amount of work that really could be solved by respecting the expertise of the staff to choose what is best for their students. Special Education issues to the point of the school not being in compliance. Higher salaries at first glance, but benefits and such take so much out. You have only 5 days of sick/personal days. After that there is nothing else and you basically are then working on an hourly wage. Opportunities given for leadership to people who do not deserve it based on qualifications and experience. You could be a department head as a first year teacher which is wrong. Leadership will not support you no matter what is said. HQ in NY are nonexistent on campus and it creates a lack of severe oversight. Do not work here at all. You will soon regret it unless you are ok with illegal practices and want to be a hero to save the black and brown kids which is also wrong.

Advice to Management

Listen to your staff. Stop your discriminatory practices. Stop giving people who don't deserve a position in leadership an opportunity. Stop illegal practices in the workplace. Taking advantage of the community is wrong and shows in your recruitment numbers. You need to choose better staff leadership. Stop exploiting the black and brown kids.

"Easily exhausting"

Current Employee - Teacher
    Current Employee - Teacher

I have been working at Democracy Prep Public Schools full-time

Pros

They outfit you like a professional, the pay is good, and the environment is better than the DOE.

Cons

The work is exhausting and mentally and emotionally taxing. Most teachers do not stay long because it is not sustainable work. Teachers burn out, and rightfully and fairly so.

6. "Long Hours with little to no payoff"

Current Employee - Registrar in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Registrar in New York, NY

I have been working at Democracy Prep Public Schools full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits (Health, Dental, Vision) & travel opportunities

Cons

Long Hours, Unexperienced Leadership, Low work/life balance

Advice to Management

Try to be more understanding and at least pretend like you care about your employees. People leave all the time for a reason. It's easier to higher new staff instead of retaining the ones you already have..right?

7. "Developing"

Current Employee - Teacher in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Teacher in New York, NY

Pros

Opportunities for growth, developing new schools.

Cons

Long hours, plus an 40 extra hr requirement outside of workday.

Advice to Management

Reduce hours, so you don't burn people out. More diversity in Leadership.

8. "Middle School Teacher"

I worked at Democracy Prep Public Schools full-time

Pros

It's an extended school day, but there is lots of prep time built in.

Cons

The long hours lead to burn out pretty quickly.

"Social Worker"

I worked at Democracy Prep Public Schools full-time

Pros

Salary and summer time off.

Cons

Everything else. Racist, classist charter school obsessed with respectability politics, punishment, and subordination of students and staff of color. Leadership is awful. It's a traumatizing work environment and most staff leave within their first year.

Advice to Management

Stop thinking you're saving all these black and brown children from poverty and trauma.

"Review for Democracy Prep Schools"

Former Employee - Math Teacher in Bronx, NY
    Former Employee - Math Teacher in Bronx, NY

I worked at Democracy Prep Public Schools full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Salary is pretty good. Better than DOE
    The schools are nicely decorated and very clean. Cool libraries too
    I learned a lot from my math coach
    You get to form relationships with teachers and students
    sometimes you get free food and other goodies

Cons

Longer hours than DOE
    Lack of transparency regarding evaluations. They were never particularly clear as to what system they use. in the DOE they used Danielsen Framework. I never received any rubric or guidance as to what they are looking for.
    They have a "no excuses" policy regarding students. But in the end teachers will always get blamed if students are not performing well. So in reality administrators are making excuses for students.
    You can be let go for any or no reason. My contract was not renewed because I did not build strong enough relationships with students. That is ridiculous because most kids did like me.
    New teachers aren't treated the same as veteran teachers. Veterans usually have contracts renewed even though I have seen very negative interactions with students. New teachers are much more vulnerable.
    They hold teachers accountable but not students.
    Many teachers leave during the year. The CEO denies this but she is a delusional fool.
    Students are tough to teach. They like to "test" new teachers.

Advice to Management

When many teachers leave during the year there is something wrong with management. Treat teachers like professionals and give them more guidance regarding observations. Stop making excuses for students. Not everything is the teachers fault. you are to blame as well.