Democracy Prep Public Schools Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
Katie Duffy

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Work life balance is a bit hard to achieve" (in 24 reviews)

• "Long hours (I'm typically at work for 11" (in 30 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"The children are awesome and the network support is great"

Pros

Children are hard workers and advocates for change within their communities. The staff works hard to set the expectation needed to be successful

Cons

The staff is generally small which ultimately leaves some challenges in the operations area but the intimate environment allows for more hands on coaching for scholars

Nov 13, 2017

Thank you for this review!

2. "It takes hard work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Camden, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Camden, NJ

I have been working at Democracy Prep Public Schools full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I’ve been working at Democracy Prep for the past 6 months and I’m very happy. I’m glad to be part of an organization that truly cares about education and is impacting communities across the US. The work that we do is not an easy one, but we know it, and we’re willing to put in the hard work. In return, DP takes care of their employees by providing us with growth opportunities, a comprehensive benefits packet, competitive salaries, professional development and more. Our mission is very simple, but it’s a powerful one.

Cons

The only think I can think of is that this is not a 9-5 job. However, if you're looking to make a noticeable impact in education, a 9-5 job is not going to cut it.

3. "Current Employee at CMO"

Pros

I started working at the CMO office a few months back. What caught my eye about DP was their mission. Coming from another CMO in the NYC area I knew supporting school staff is something I loved doing. Interview process was very easy, apply online, video interview and then final in person.

I love the team I am working with. I am surrounded by a group of smart individuals that are friendly and helpful. The CMO office also has a very friendly and open vibe. DP offers 403B, tuition reimbursement and all employees receives iPhones and Macbooks for work. Also they pay out unused days. Tons of swag too!

Cons

The long hours and leadership.

Although I have only been here for a few months the hours are very long and it is exhausting. Starting at 7:30am and ending at 5:15pm. What isn't fair is that it seems my department is the only ones to follow those hours. Many departments at the CMO come in and leave early. Work life balance is a bit hard to achieve.

Leadership is very intimidating and I feel as though I am walking on eggshells around them. They are very demanding and not understanding.

Advice to Management

Be very honest during the interview process and disclose working hours.

4. "Teacher"

I have been working at Democracy Prep Public Schools full-time

Pros

the scholars they literally make your day everyday

Cons

Extremely long hours
    not much attention on teachers in terms of coaching

5. "Teacher"

I have been working at Democracy Prep Public Schools full-time

Pros

Great benefits after 4-5 years

Cons

Leadership constantly changing, little to no pay increases, low staff morale

6. "Lovely and motivating place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Democracy Prep Public Schools full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people are wonderful, the mission helps change the world, and while the hours can be long you are doing good with them and are appreciated by your co-workers/valued by your supervisors

Cons

It is longer hours than a 9-5.

Sep 7, 2018 – Recruitment Outreach Associate

Thanks for this review! We agree, the people at Democracy Prep are wonderful! We are glad that you feel valued and supported here. While we know that the hours at Democracy Prep are not the typical... More

7. "Great place to work"

I have been working at Democracy Prep Public Schools full-time

Pros

Knowing that you're work day in and day out affects entire communities across the United States. I am really glad that I chose to work for an organization that deeply cares about improving educational outcomes for scholars, and increasing civic engagement in the communities we serve. I work on a team of super motivated, and really intelligent people that I feel that I can learn from and will all advocate for my growth. It's exciting to be a part of something greater, and work for an organization that values innovation, the voice of its employees, and has the ability to step back and re-evaluate when something isn't going well, and move forward with a solution to improve.

Cons

DP does have longer hours than some other schools I looked at. I think it takes an adjustment period, but I also know that the time I put in is the amount that it takes to execute my work to the best of my ability, which is what our scholars deserve. Knowing these additional hours will ensure educational opportunity for our students keeps me motivated and excited to be here!

"Happy to be Here"

Current Employee - Data Systems Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Data Systems Associate in New York, NY

Pros

If you're looking for a work environment where the students are put first and the adults working for them are 100% on-mission, this is the place to be. I am so glad I picked to work here as a Data Associate instead of some of the other places I looked at. My supervisor encourages me to stay connected to the schools, work with teachers, and involve myself in the after school activities of students. It is the best possible balance between opportunities to grow professionally in my capacity as a data scientist but still feel connected to the reason I got into education: helping kids.

Cons

The office space isn't super convenient to get to from the West side of Manhattan, especially the Upper West Side. There are only a few options for lunch that aren't fast food.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

Sep 7, 2018 – Recruitment Outreach Associate

Thank you so much for this review! We are so glad to hear that you feel connected to our schools and mission, and are encouraged to grow as an employee. These are key aspects of workplace culture... More

9. "DREAM coach"

I worked at Democracy Prep Public Schools full-time

Pros

Free food at PDs; DPU was kinda fun & helpful

Cons

Inexperienced staff (teachers and administrators); lack of freedom and creativity in teaching (scripted lessons, etc.); Lack of social and emotional support for all students, but particularly for those with disabilities and behavioral challenges; one size fits all approach; harsh discipline code/behavior management system; long hours

Advice to Management

Scrap the whole system and start fresh

10. "Meaningful work"

I have been working at Democracy Prep Public Schools full-time

Pros

making a difference in the lives of scholars who need it

Cons

Con would be the long hours

Sep 7, 2018 – Recruitment Outreach Associate

Thank you so much for this review! We agree - the biggest pro of working for Democracy Prep is the opportunity to make a difference in our scholars’ lives by ensuring their success in college and... More