KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt
Logo

Engaged Employer

Add a Review

Democracy Prep Public Schools Employee Reviews about "democracy prep"

Updated May 6, 2021

Found 13 of over 348 reviews

3.3
Democracy Prep Public Schools CEO Natasha Trivers (no image)
Natasha Trivers

The latest conversations about Teachers

Join the conversation on

Teachers

1y

a

West Virginia Elementary School Teacher

Who is taking the COVID-19 Shot? Do you think all teachers should?

2,892

960 Comments

Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
  • "Long hours: school day really started at 7:30am and kids did not leave until 4pm.(in 41 reviews)
  • "absolutely no work life balance(in 23 reviews)
  • "Extra Long Hours(in 20 reviews)
  • "Many school counselors and social workers do not follow up with chronically absent children and leadership doesn't help.(in 15 reviews)
  • "behavior management throughout the school was horrible, and kids were constantly getting removed from the classroom and sent to an overcrowded DREAM room(in 5 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Democracy Prep Public Schools and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "democracy prep"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 8 years

Working Hard to Change The World

Nov 14, 2019 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

I have had the opportunity to work at Democracy Prep for close to a decade. I choose to stay at Democracy Prep because I know my actions have a direct impact on getting our scholars to college. This network helped be grow as an educator through their dedication to coaching and developing their teachers. Our school takes pride in the hard work we do because we know our scholars are growing academically and socio-emotionally each day.

Cons

Working at Democracy Prep requires adults to be very flexible. You need to be comfortable with stepping outside your comfort zone in the service of scholars.

2. 4.0

Democracy Prep

Nov 1, 2019 - Director
    Business Outlook

Pros

Democracy Prep is committed to its mission, the biggest focus is on student success and all employees play an important role in that. There is a lot of joy in the school culture while maintaining rigorous academic expectations. After some recent challenges, the organization is moving in the right direction and positioning itself to be stronger than ever.

Cons

The organization is still working to strengthen systems.

3. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

The heart and grit is there, but unsustainable for most teachers.

Jul 29, 2014 - Teacher in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

This network is definitely making a difference in our children. The people I worked with weren't just some of the smartest people I ever met, but the most passionate and dedicated people. Administration always had your back during a parent conference, etc. There is a real sense of 'team' at Democracy Prep and every staff member is considered to be a valuable member of this team. You instantly become part of a loving family when you work here.

Cons

The amount of hours (and often a 6 day work week) leaves most burnt out by the end of their second year at the school. The attrition rate is high because despite working for a noble cause loving their jobs, there is a constant feel that we haven't done enough and we should be working harder. Most educators agree with this line of thinking (and should) but at Democracy Prep, you are not expected to have a life outside of work because our work is never done. Work/Life Balance is something that was always preached at this network, but unfortunately never felt.

10 people found this review helpful
  4. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

For Teachers Who Truly Care About Their Kids

Dec 16, 2014 - Middle School Teacher in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

I'm dismayed by some of these other reviews. Yes, Democracy Prep has long hours, and yes we could be more structured, but if you've taught in a low-performing school it's hard not to realize how much of an improvement Democracy Prep is to the status quo. 1. Hard-working teachers 2. Supportive administration 3. Warm-firm balance to student culture creates environments that are happy for students and adults, even when the hours are long. 4. Good pay and benefit AND MOST IMPORTANTLY STUDENTS ARE LEARNING!! I'm a middle school teacher, and just today found out that one of our graduating seniors was accepted into Dartmouth, and another Princeton. Obviously not all of our kids will go to Ivy Leagues, but they don't all need to. As a MS teacher, what I do know is that all of my students will go to a high school where the teachers care, where the environment is supportive, and where they will continue to succeed. I know my hard work won't go to waste. I know the long hours will continue to be worth it. I see the students at my school learning in my classes. I see them scoring well on tests. I see them loving our technology class, our flag football team, and our music program. I see them going on field trips to DC and Canada (and I get jealous that I don't get to chaperone the HS trips to Ecuador and South Korea). I see motivated adults, students, and parents. I see learning happening, and I see kids loving it. Democracy Prep is not perfect, but if you care about helping kids be successful in school and embrace learning, this is a good environment.

Cons

Our hours/school day are long. We do some planning on the fly which means things aren't always as structured as they should be.

5. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Student Focused

Aug 13, 2015 - Teacher in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Everybody at Democracy Prep works together to ensure that scholar success is what matters most. Teachers receive regular development and feedback in order to grow and better serve their students. Scholars are taught to care about themselves and their communities. Further, they are given the tools they need to actively shape their futures.

Cons

Often times the most important work to be done is the toughest work to do. We definitely are expected to work long hours, but ultimately the structure and support of the school make it doable and the pay-off of watching scholars succeed is truly worth it.

7 people found this review helpful
  6. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Civics Infused Education

Oct 21, 2017 - Special Education Coordinator in Washington, DC
    Business Outlook

Pros

Democracy Prep is dedicated to pushing students to do things they don't think they can do, but that we KNOW they can do. The program is very rigorous to prepare students for being successful in college and beyond. The focus on civic engagement is definitely unique and when it's implemented with fidelity, it helps students who otherwise wouldn't have been engaged in their communities to know they can have an impact. The co-teaching model allows teachers to better reach all students. The support of DREAM Coaches assists teachers reach those students with behavioral and emotional concerns.

Cons

Democracy Prep has very long days and require a lot of intellectual Prep to prepare for each week. The rigor extends from the curriculum to teacher preparation.

Continue reading
    2 people found this review helpful
  7. 5.0

Great place to work!

Jan 17, 2020 - Leader U Fellow in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Democracy Prep Publics schools is a place in which like minded people who care about educating ALL students work. Our civics program works to educate the whole child and create compassionate young men and women who are inspired to give back to their community, and make the world a better place. Our rigorous academics pushes our students to think critically and constantly question and examine the world around them.

Cons

Would like more opportunities to collaborate across schools.

8. 4.0

Feels like Home

Nov 21, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Teaching at Democracy Prep restored my confidence as a teacher. I came from a DOE school where the demands were high, but there was no support. Democracy Prep has high expectations, but it values professional growth and provides teachers with the tools they need to be successful. I have always appreciated the relationships I have had with my school leaders. They respect my input and value my voice.

Cons

Democracy Prep came from a 'no excuses' model and is still in the process of reexamining the effectiveness of its discipline system. Less experienced teachers rely heavily on consequences for behavior management.

Continue reading
    1 person found this review helpful
  9. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

DP- A Great Place to Grow and Learn

Jan 15, 2020 - Instructional Coach in Camden, NJ
    Business Outlook

Pros

Democracy Prep is an organization that has clear outcomes in mind that allow for all scholars to receive a rigorous and well rounded education from some of the most talented and gritty staff members. There are so many opportunities to grow as an educator whether it is LeaderU, DPYou, or professional development sessions facilitated by experts. Our network provides kids with endless opportunities such as tutoring, clubs, and sports.

Cons

The hours can be long, but 100% worth it.

10. 5.0

Current

Oct 20, 2017 -
    Business Outlook

Pros

Democracy Prep is a warm collaborative environment that blends the right amount of structure (providing a clear framework for leaders) and autonomy. I feel valued and respected as a leader who has original ideas and knows her school context best.

Cons

The level of urgency is high. It is an intense place to work. We put in long hours and we are constantly looking at data and asking ourselves what we could do better in service of kids.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 13 Reviews