Cover image for Democracy Prep Public Schools
Logo

Engaged Employer

Add a Review

Democracy Prep Public Schools Employee Reviews about "scholars"

Updated Apr 16, 2021

Verify your email to use filters. Having problems? Resend email
Found 363 of over 363 reviews
3.2
51% Recommend to a Friend
72% Approve of CEO

Found 18 of over 363 reviews

3.2
Democracy Prep Public Schools CEO Natasha Trivers (no image)
Natasha Trivers

The latest conversations about Teachers

Join the conversation on

Teachers

1y

a

West Virginia Elementary School Teacher

Who is taking the COVID-19 Shot? Do you think all teachers should?

2,937

976 Comments

Teachers

201.8K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/teachers/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.com&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Industry-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=Democracy Prep Public Schools~284340
Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
  • "Long hours: school day really started at 7:30am and kids did not leave until 4pm.(in 44 reviews)
  • "absolutely no work life balance(in 25 reviews)
  • "Extra Long Hours(in 18 reviews)
  • "Many school counselors and social workers do not follow up with chronically absent children and leadership doesn't help.(in 15 reviews)
  • "behavior management throughout the school was horrible, and kids were constantly getting removed from the classroom and sent to an overcrowded DREAM room(in 6 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Democracy Prep Public Schools and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "scholars"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee

Committed to Race Equity Work, Rigorous academics, civics, and restorative practices

Apr 7, 2021 - Human Rources in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Democracy Prep has embarked on an incredible evolution. We are making sure we get consistently excellent academic and civics results across all 24 schools and a special education program. We are also putting a strong stake in the ground around race equity, diversity, equity, and inclusion, and restorative practices at all of our schools. We have always been committed to developing our people so they can be the very best educator/ scholar support teammate but that has only grown stronger given these new priorities.

Cons

We work HARD. And are incredibly passionate about what we do. For some, that can be overwhelming.

Democracy Prep Public Schools Response

Thank you for taking the time to write a thoughtful review! We're glad to hear that you feel connected to our commitment to race equity, DEI, and restorative practices. We aim to be a thought leader in the charter sector when it comes to innovative ways to be anti-racist at every level of a charter network. We are constantly evolving and improving our practices to reflect an anti-racist mindset.

2. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Run, Run, Run

Apr 16, 2021 - Middle School Teacher
    Business Outlook

Pros

The population of students at DP are great. The students truly come into the school ready to learn and devote their time and energy to their education. DP also has a very strong civic framework that they implement very well. Each morning they discuss major social events and really think through hard questions.

Cons

Just about every other structure at DP, outside of Civics, is completely toxic. At the ( DPCMS ) campus there is no accountability where leadership is concerned. The leaders regularly micro-manage in a way that negatively shifts staff investment. Leaders here constantly belittle staff, and create work culture that inhibits growth. The culture set for the students is even worse. It is highly oppressive. Students are not allowed to speak in the halls, asked to walk in yellow lines, and are encouraged to read books as they walk. This was always problematic for me as it greatly mimics prison and does not allow for normal social development. My biggest issue with DP is the negligence they have displayed with scholars with special needs. IF YOUR CHILD HAS SPECIAL NEEDS, DO NOT SEND THEM HERE! DP has a high turnover rate and is unable to find special ed teachers who can serve the students. However, they have a high concentration of kids with IEP and no structure or staff to adequately support them. They even lie in IEP meetings and make up services that don't exist. They dont pay well and froze salaries this past year. I think there needs to be a huge external/internal review of this Network.

1 person found this review helpful
  3. Join the Democracy Prep Public Schools team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 4.0
    Former Employee

Amazing

Nov 19, 2020 - Ops
    Business Outlook

Pros

DP loves scholars and fully commits to getting them ready for college.

Cons

It's hard work; no shortcuts.

5. 2.0

A real review!

Jul 22, 2020 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

In this climate, there are very few. but the college counselors are exceptional at helping our best scholars get into the best schools.

Cons

Not sustainable. I would say the talent team does a great job of tricking talent. Good talent come in attracted to the mission, scholars, and better outcomes for children but do not stay because the environments are often toxic. The schools often get results but that is because many of the kids that graduate were likely to graduate regardless.

2 people found this review helpful
  6. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Environment and hours can be stressful

Sep 13, 2020 - ELA Teacher in Las Vegas, NV
    Business Outlook

Pros

Everything a teacher needs is provided by the organization, great team of people, great scholars, network's own curriculum and lesson plans, impactful PDs

Cons

Long hours, environment can be stressful

7. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Passionate, Grit, Joyous

Oct 3, 2014 - Middle School Teacher in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Culture: I absolutely love my coworkers. Team oriented, easy to collaborate, & we laugh while we do it. Keeps the energy high at our school. - Mission: College bound & active citizenship. - Scholars: Incredibly hardworking. They are, of course middle schoolers so they can be sassy at times, but they are also respectful and witty. It's great to see them develop their sense of responsibility and accountability. - Feedback: Before DP, I never had an admin or anyone observe my classroom and it made me feel very apathetic towards the US education system. I was a good teacher but I never thought I could become a great master teacher. At DP, I feel invigorated everyday by the challenge of becoming the best teacher. My principal & colleagues frequently observe me & then we meet 1-1 to discuss the feedback. I love the actionable feedback and the practice. There are network materials that are also shared among all the DP middle schools which makes planning and determining rigor easier. I have learned at DP what it means to be an effective teacher. - Structure/High Expectations: I LOVE that my team is on the same page but that our classrooms are still unique to our personalities.

Cons

Balancing work and life but it has really pushed me to be better with my time. Additionally, it's gratifying to know that the hard work is paying off when I see how much my scholars have grown socially & academically.

8. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

A culture of consistent improvement

Jan 17, 2020 - Assistant Director in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

While we are far from perfect, everyone at this network cares deeply about kids and puts them first. In the past year Natasha has taken over the role of CEO and the network has benefited tremendously from her leadership. She is both driven and extremely open to feedback. Additionally, she chose to send her own son to DP (he's now graduated). As a network we've shifted away from "No Excuses" to "Purpose Over Power" and "High Expectations, High Support", which has been an overdue change. We treat our scholars with respect, and our civics mission is deeply ingrained in the work we do. We also back-fill all seats and have a robust program for scholars with special needs.

Cons

Currently, DP is in the midst of some big changes. While we serve some of our scholars incredibly well, there are still pockets where kids, and teachers struggle. We need to do a better job of supporting teachers across all campuses to make sure they, and their scholars succeed. However, we're aware of the problems and willing to put in the work to fix them. So I feel optimistic.

9. 5.0

Great place to work

Aug 9, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Knowing that you're work day in and day out affects entire communities across the United States. I am really glad that I chose to work for an organization that deeply cares about improving educational outcomes for scholars, and increasing civic engagement in the communities we serve. I work on a team of super motivated, and really intelligent people that I feel that I can learn from and will all advocate for my growth. It's exciting to be a part of something greater, and work for an organization that values innovation, the voice of its employees, and has the ability to step back and re-evaluate when something isn't going well, and move forward with a solution to improve.

Cons

DP does have longer hours than some other schools I looked at. I think it takes an adjustment period, but I also know that the time I put in is the amount that it takes to execute my work to the best of my ability, which is what our scholars deserve. Knowing these additional hours will ensure educational opportunity for our students keeps me motivated and excited to be here!

1 person found this review helpful
  10. 1.0

False Advertisement Just to Profit off At-risk Community

May 26, 2015 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

If you're not a certified teacher than you may begin teaching while you still work on obtaining qualifications. However, a horrible choice to start Democracy Prep can change you whole perception of education as a couple of teachers have left or plan to not teach anymore. Don't believe the smiles and hellos we're sent an email with your resume before you interview to be our usual happy selves which is code for PUT ON A SHOW.

Cons

Not a school to work at and many of us regret our decision. More than half the staff and management are leaving next year and it's for good reason. Most importantly, Democracy Prep follows a strict behavior system that keeps scholars out of class for most of the day. Often scholars behaviors escalate or are serving in school suspension and as a result miss valuable instruction. Even if you try to best help scholars this system keeps a continuous cycle for most at-risk scholars to fail and are unable to pass to the next grade level. When you voice concerns for scholars you're scolded and your meetings to follow become a repeat after me as you go over the many discipline manuals.

12 people found this review helpful
  11. 1.0
    Former Employee

weak all around

May 7, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

There are a few awesome, stand out teachers at the school. The current principal is an amazing person, and the kids are so resilient and amazing.

Cons

There are terrible behavior problems at the school, which are solved by suspending kids. DP claims that they are here for scholars, but yet every day are perpetuating the school to prison pipeline. Praising kids for compliance, walking on straight lines, being silent. Little room for creativity on the part of teachers, as well as coteaching with no coaching, leading to some pretty terrible relationships between coteaching pairs. Over half of staff quit over the course of the year, leaving the school in total chaos. Of the staff that did stay, there were some pretty terrible teachers who were hired out of desperation- who clearly did not care about kids, yelling at students, even being physical with students at time. Constantly recreating policies and procedures--no consistency. Honestly a poor excuse for a school, and parents should look to other more successful charters in DC as alternatives bc the kids at DP are most certianly not getting the education that they deserve.

10 people found this review helpful