KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt
Logo

Engaged Employer

Add a Review

Democracy Prep Public Schools Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Nov 9, 2021

Found 34 of over 348 reviews

3.3
Democracy Prep Public Schools CEO Natasha Trivers (no image)
Natasha Trivers

The latest conversations about Teachers

Join the conversation on

Teachers

1y

a

West Virginia Elementary School Teacher

Who is taking the COVID-19 Shot? Do you think all teachers should?

2,892

960 Comments

Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
  • "Long hours: school day really started at 7:30am and kids did not leave until 4pm.(in 41 reviews)
  • "absolutely no work life balance(in 23 reviews)
  • "Extra Long Hours(in 20 reviews)
  • "Many school counselors and social workers do not follow up with chronically absent children and leadership doesn't help.(in 15 reviews)
  • "behavior management throughout the school was horrible, and kids were constantly getting removed from the classroom and sent to an overcrowded DREAM room(in 5 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Democracy Prep Public Schools and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 4.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Realistic Review of DP Schools by a Current Teacher

Sep 28, 2019 - Teacher in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Positive school culture - I love the school I work at and I really appreciate my school leaders; they do a great job at creating a positive school culture (I can't say what this looks like for all DP schools) Welcoming & supportive environment - I feel supported by my team and when working with students; the whole school functions as one big team Regular feedback Pays pretty well Benefits - health/dental/vision insurance, life insurance, retirement, iPhones & MacBook Airs for work, among others

Cons

These are more network level things, rather than site specific: Long hours (7:15 - 4:45 for most) Lack of work/life balance - outside of regular work hours, which are already long, you are required to work an extra 40 hours or your pay is docked/PTO is reduced Not enough prep time - outside of lunch, I have only 2 prep periods which ends in me doing a lot of work after school or over the weekend; yes, lesson plans are provided, but there is still so much that needs to be planned in order to make them effective and specific to your class needs that there just is not enough time in only 2 prep periods Only 5 days of paid time off - if more time is needed, your pay is reduced by days and half days No substitutes/assistants - teachers cover lunch/recess and sub when other teachers are out, resulting in a loss of preps and is one of the reasons why there are so few days of PTO

2. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

stressful

Jun 8, 2019 - Teacher in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

teachers are committed and talented

Cons

absolutely no work life balance

3. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Apply if you are just getting started, but if you have experience don't!! You will be appreciated elsewhere:)

Aug 3, 2019 - Operations Manager in Camden, NJ
    Business Outlook

Pros

Salary Ability to work with youth

Cons

Principals are biased and inexperienced. HR lacks confidentiality and the ability to support staff. HR allows leadership to make decisions based on personal dislikes that create a high turnover and a hostile work environment. Life/work balance does not exist due to long hours and a lack of respect for personal obligations.

1 person found this review helpful
  4. 2.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Very demanding

Jun 16, 2021 - English Teacher
    Business Outlook

Pros

Kids are amazing, staff is kind.

Cons

Work and life balance is almost impossible. CMO is out of touch and does not care about teachers.

1 person found this review helpful
  5. 3.0
    Current Employee

Takes advantage of employees

Jun 1, 2018 -
    Business Outlook

Pros

Prescribed curriculum Good pay Access to technology

Cons

Long hours Micromanages Difficult work life balance

3 people found this review helpful
  6. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Exciting work, quick burnout

Jun 12, 2017 - 8th Grade ACT Teacher (Reading)
    Business Outlook

Pros

-Excellent, supportive leadership in certain schools -Excellent compensation & benefits -Intelligent, hardworking, driven colleagues -High standards for learning and culture in classrooms

Cons

-Work/life balance almost impossible (70+ hours a week is the norm; 40 hours of tutoring outside of teaching is required) -Network leadership creates arbitrary expectations that are difficult to achieve with existing workload -Frequent break-downs in communications (a position was posted before it was communicated to the individual that they wouldn't be asked to come back) -No job security for stipend-based jobs (i.e. performance review for my curriculum advising position was excellent, but the network hired someone else without warning)

5 people found this review helpful
  7. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Operations

Oct 24, 2018 - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

I've met amazing individuals who have helped me grow professionally.

Cons

Hours are very long so make sure to have a work life balance that caters to your health. Not enough support when needed. It will all depend on your leadership whether or not you will love going to work.

Democracy Prep Public Schools Response

Recruitment Outreach Associate

Thank you so much for leaving this review. We love talented DREAM team members and we are committed to developing our educators. You are right; DPPS’ hours are longer than the standard. We make this invest of time and talent in support of the scholars we educate. Nevertheless, , we remain committed to the overall sustainability of our work. Our campus-based educators work in partnership with our charter management organization provides growth opportunities and additional bandwidth. At DPPS, we believe in the importance of proactively addressing employee concerns, and we will share your feedback with our Human Resources team.

8. 2.0
    Former Employee

Traditional education with long hours

Nov 9, 2021 - Teacher
    Business Outlook

Pros

PD opportunities Room for growth

Cons

Rigid Little work life balance

9. 1.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

When things sound too good to be true, they are

Jul 6, 2019 - Principal
    Business Outlook

Pros

Working with underserved populations

Cons

Company in dire financial straits Major micromanagement from top down Lack of transparency to public and to employees Benefits and pay promised widely to employees in handbooks network wide not given Questionable ethics at network level Lack of concern and regard for children and families in areas outside of NYC Lack of regard for work/life balance

10. 3.0
    Current Employee

Work life balance is lacking

Jun 14, 2022 - Teacher
    Business Outlook

Pros

The students are awesome to be arounf

Cons

No work life balance in the space

Democracy Prep Public Schools Response

Hi there, thank you for your feedback! We love our students too, and our school teams' dedication to their scholars is incredible (including yours). We understand that as a teacher during a pandemic, you have been going above and beyond to help your scholars learn. Thank you for your hard work!

Viewing 1 - 10 of 34 Reviews