Dennis Publishing Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.8
James Tye

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great experience as part of my career."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Dennis Publishing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working out of the NY office, the editorial teams for two magazines among the people working on the business side of things provided a diverse range of intelligent individuals, creating an excellent overall company culture. Benefits were pretty good, and 3 weeks vacation once I got on annual salary was great.

Cons

None so much with the actual work, but not a lot of opportunities for promotion. However, that ended up being the nature of my position rather than a company policy.

Advice to Management

The magazine business appears to be working great, so keep that going strong. However, I think several 3rd parties for outsourcing were not chosen for quality. Hopefully the ones that were moved to provide a better experience.

2. "yuck"

Former Employee - Marketing in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Marketing in New York, NY

I worked at Dennis Publishing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A small and understaffed business meant lots of opportunity to gain experience

Cons

Lousy editorial product (the week). Virtually everyone was a contracted employee, so there was little to no office morale. The office was dark and littered with half empty boxes in a crummy building. People were generally unhappy. The brightest part of the week seemed to be when they rolled out the bar cart on fridays, as if drinking off-brand vodka at 2pm was some special treat.

Advice to Management

Give up.

Dennis Publishing Response

Apr 20, 2017

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. As you point out in your review you were employed by Dennis US which is run as a smaller, entirely separate company to the UK, with its own... More

3. "Great fun place to work"

Former Employee - Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Dennis Publishing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture, friendly people and good vacation

Cons

low raises, low growth opportunities

Advice to Management

More room for career growth

4. "Great company,"

Pros

Great company, fun team, inspiring

Cons

Cliquey, too much alcohol, too many managers

5. "Great Company!"

Pros

Fun atmosphere, open door management policy

Cons

Limited movement within the company for job progression.

6. "Brilliantly Different!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Dennis Publishing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Professional company who clearly mean business, they let you get on with it and in return you can have as much flexibility as you want in the way you work. Fantastic new office, needs a bit more fine tuning with a splash more colour and comfort but I would recommend anyone wanting to work in a fast paced but challenging media company should look at Dennis as they are leading from the front. The fact that they are owned by a forest charity gives them something different to other media companies plus I got to go to the forest as part of my induction.

Cons

Management need to be a bit more hands on, flat structure and open environment means most people in the company are approachable but some managers seem too busy to spend time with their staff especially new recruits in a new team.

Advice to Management

Senior management is very male dominated which doesn't make career progression for females seem too attractive but I am sure they have plans to correct this.

7. "People don't know they are born"

I have been working at Dennis Publishing full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great brands.. Some great people outside of the sales floor.

Cons

Too many micky takers - lots of expenses, lots of unnecessary lunches, not many work horses

Advice to Management

Implement from the top down. There are too many abusers of rules that would help the business thrive.

8. "Fantastic Company With A Great Heart"

Former Employee - Human Resources Team Administrator in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Human Resources Team Administrator in London, England (UK)

I worked at Dennis Publishing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great atmosphere among the different teams. Lots of in-house events (charity days, bake sales, etc.) Senior management were very down to earth and friendly. Tree Planting days with 'The Heart of England Forest' were amazing. Was given the opportunity to implement original ideas and own processes within team.

Cons

I was nervous to ask questions regarding tasks as I did not feel I received adequate training from my line manager. (Person specific, not company) and did not feel they had enough training in managing.

A bit more organisation within the teams.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work. You were easy to approach and talk to.

9. "Happy to be part of it"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Pros

Very friendly environment, flexible hours (which improves the quality of your life a lot, giving you more freedom and putting you in charge of your time management). Very good for charity, always organising events to support the charity of the year, and conscious of their environmental impact. I see Dennis as a Company that is committed to change and evolve for the best and there are always opportunities to grow in the Company by moving into different teams.

Cons

At the moment, it's not possible for everybody to work from home.

10. "Underwhelming"

I have been working at Dennis Publishing part-time

Pros

Flexible working, it's in central London, benefits scheme is good, I'm really struggling to think of anything else - this should bump it up to 20 words.

Cons

They've just moved into a new building that brings them up to date with other companies that did the same thing 10 years ago, but it's given them some sort of inflated sense of being as some kind of edgy pioneering entity. This doesn't really translate into the daily running of the place, where people seem overworked. Attempts to monetise everything are coming at the expense of a brand ethos with any of their titles.

Advice to Management

Don't hire publishers that are more like accountants who are more focused on cutting costs ahead of investment. Employing publishers that don't seem to have any interest in the subject matter of the titles they publish looks unprofessional and is clear to see from the outside, especially when they have no new or innovative ideas about how to make the most of a brand. Add some investment so the staff you have don't feel like they're being overworked.