Denny's Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Denny's President & CEO John Miller
John Miller

Pros
Cons
  • End up working all holidays and long hours (in 37 reviews)

• 24/7 but there's nothing you can do about that because it's the nature of the business (in 19 reviews)

1. "Avoid unless desperate."

Former Employee - Server/Waitress in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Server/Waitress in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at Denny's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Coworkers (servers, cooks, and hosts) were all wonderful. No negative feedback about the individual employees. The regulars were also a joy to work with, but they couldn't outweigh the negatives. Uniforms were pleasant.

Cons

Where to start..
    Training was short and insufficient, i was left alone on the floor on the over night shift after only 4 days of training. The online courses they showed me were only supplemented by shadowing another server for a few days. I was not shown anything about the menu, about the layout of the restaurant, about how to do side work or other deep cleaning.
    Management also did not care even a little about the employees; pay was practically criminal, conflict resolution was nonexistent, and the hiring and firing practices were immoral at best. (Example: Coworker was put on notice and nearly fired for coming into work with a black eye.)
    There was also a lack of basic courtesy displayed my management, with employees' needs basically over looked. With tips I was barely breaking even with the cost of driving to the location they reassigned me to.
    Most employees worked extremely long hours, cooks sometimes being at work for 14 hours plus.
    They also failed to provide the basic uniform items listed in their employee hand book, including the shirt and apron with the Denny's logo on them.

All of this added to specific mismanagement experiences I went through, I would only tell someone to work here if they needed hired more than they needed food on their table.

Advice to Management

Learn to care about your employees, and remember that you get what you pay for. Employees who can't make ends meet working for your company are not going to stay long.

2. "Be prepared to move fast!"

Former Employee - Server/Bartender in Union Gap, WA
    Former Employee - Server/Bartender in Union Gap, WA

I worked at Denny's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working with the public, getting tips

Cons

Too much workload to give proper customer service. I many times had 7 tables at a time to serve, while also hosting, bussing, cashiering, and bartending. Management would rarely help and would often ignore customer complaints.

Advice to Management

Care more about the customers than the paycheck.

3. "Restaurant 101"

Current Employee - Restaurant Manager in Lake Jackson, TX
    Current Employee - Restaurant Manager in Lake Jackson, TX

I have been working at Denny's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The demand for good management is there, so anyone with common sense can bring about positive change as long as you have the support of your fellow managers.

Cons

No organization. No team. It's as if the only thing that mattered was labor cost. (Loud annoying buzz) Wrong! Customer satisfaction trumps it all followed by the staff made up of more than warm bodies. Btw, welcome your staff to the 21st century and get a better POS/scheduling program. Chicken scratch on 8.5x11 is not okay -- not professional and not acceptable.

Advice to Management

Focus on customer satisfaction. Invest in training. And be careful who you invest on, e.g., don't invest on the cook killing your food cost because they aren't physically capable of making anything other than a charred pancake. Oh and one more thing ... addicts don't make good employees -- PERIOD.

5. "Horrible"

Former Employee - Server/Waiter in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Server/Waiter in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at Denny's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

No pros to speak of in relation to the company the other servers were friendly.

Cons

Unlawful practices, makes waitresses pay for voids, GM has his own little staff that gets all the good shifts. Frequently night shifts run out of stock like eggs or pancake batter. Overall horrible management with practices that take advantage of you and your hard work.

Advice to Management

Too many problems to fix

6. "Not a fun experience"

Former Employee - Server/Waiter in Culver City, CA
    Former Employee - Server/Waiter in Culver City, CA

I worked at Denny's (More than 5 years)

Pros

Discounts, Long lunch breaks, learnt a lot of skills to carry on

Cons

Family - Work life unbalanced, No real good benefits

Advice to Management

Restaurant needed many repairs and paychecks often bounced. The restaurant has since been remodeled and is now under new ownership. Working here, I learned to do any job, whether it is ideal or not, to the best of one's abilities

7. "Key Largo Location is a Train Wreck"

Current Employee - Restaurant Manager in Key Largo, FL
    Current Employee - Restaurant Manager in Key Largo, FL

I have been working at Denny's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get a paycheck every two weeks. As an employee, you receive 50% off on your meals. As a manager, you receive free meals. The people from corporate are professionals and seem to really care about the job they're doing. I never had any bad interactions with anyone on a corporate level. I believe as a corporation they're trying to create an environment that is conducive for people's success.

Cons

Wow. Where do I start? This particular location is a franchise. The behavior exhibited by the owners of THIS LOCATION is appallingly shocking and definitely veers from the image/message that Denny's Corporate is attempting to create/establish. There is no team cohesion and employees and management are routinely pitted against each other in what seems like some kind of bizarre chess game. Hourly employees work overtime and are told IN WRITING, "we don't pay overtime"... and overtime is routinely unpaid, which is a violation of federal wage and hour laws. This location "cooks the books" when it comes to hiring practices and payroll. Overall, THIS LOCATION is a miserable place to work and it's really a shame because most of the employees are hard workers who deserve way better than what they're getting. THIS LOCATION offers no vacation, no sick time, no benefits of any kind.

Advice to Management

Cutting people's pay right before Christmas is a HEINOUS thing to do to your employees... because you're not just doing it to them, you're doing it to their children... and that's worthy of a public verbal flogging, which I'll be more than happy to provide... free of charge. Stop doing things that are illegal, pay your employees a FAIR wage.

Advice to Corporate Denny's: KNOW YOUR FRANCHISEE(s). Take the temperature of the proverbial water in your franchisee locations. Talk to your managers and employees several times a year, ASK QUESTIONS. Violations of the type that are going on in THIS LOCATION (and I'm just scratching the surface here) should not be going on undetected, because it's a liability to Denny's Corporate, a brand you've worked hard to create... a brand you continue to attempt to improve. Don't assume your franchisees are all in the boat rowing... some are drilling holes in your boat. Lastly, your employees are as important, if not more so, than your customers. Without good employees, you lose business and drive it away. When you have GOOD employees, they will draw customers. This particular location takes in a lot of business from other countries around the world and your servers here work very hard only to be STIFFED in tips. You can have a $100 table walk out and NOT tip your servers. This happens ALL THE TIME!! You need to look out for your employees and begin adding a mandatory 18% gratuity for tables of 6 or more. It would be the right thing to do because you're not going to keep good servers in this location because they can't make enough to feed their families. Please consider making your employees AT LEAST as important as your customers... because without your employees, you have nothing.

8. "Horrible management"

Current Employee - Server/Waitress in Cambridge, OH
    Current Employee - Server/Waitress in Cambridge, OH

I have been working at Denny's (More than a year)

Pros

You make good money at dennys...its a fun atmosphere there to work im if you are working with the right coworkers...

Cons

The management is absolutely horrible...the place would have alot of potential if it was being run by the right people and the peons actually had some leadership

Advice to Management

Stop trying to make friends with everyone and do your jobs....listen when employees give feedback...they know their the ones working everyday with your customers

9. "Assistant manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

Pros

Fast paced, never a dull moment.

Cons

Horrible upper management, no family time

Advice to Management

Think about your employees not just your profit

10. "I got sick & was hospitalized for 6 days. I was supposed to work that same day. No call, no show, no job... Really!!"

Former Employee - Server/Waiter in Vincennes, IN
    Former Employee - Server/Waiter in Vincennes, IN

I worked at Denny's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great co-worker's. Other than that nothing. Management just doesn't care. We all get sick. To them you are dirt if this happens.

Cons

Way understaffed. No breaks. Little sleep. Not enough time between shifts. Nightmare, don't get hospitalized, they will fight you about the way you have quit. Sad

Advice to Management

Listen to your people & doctor's. Doc says you can't work for a moment, then you can't

11. "Dennys-Chubuck ID"

Former Employee - Server/Waitress in Chubbuck, ID
    Former Employee - Server/Waitress in Chubbuck, ID

I worked at Denny's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fast training processes, usually fast paced work environment, tips aren't usually bad, good location, right off the highway so it isn't usually dead

Cons

Low pay, very negative coworker to manager relations(Donna), terrible clientele that the management refuses to deal with, extreme favoritism, no holiday pay even though you are forced to be there all holidays, money is taken out of your check to pay for your meal plan, no discounts or deals for employees

Advice to Management

Focus on what the employees want and need. Nobody wants to be there on Christmas. One day closed wouldn't hurt. Stop being money hungry.I was treated terribly by several regular customers and was told nothing could be done because of how much money they were bringing in to the business, even though several of these experiences were sexually explicit in nature. I was also told that when the restaurant didn't have water, we still have to be open because closing would cause us to lose too much money