Denny's Reviews | Glassdoor

Denny's Reviews

Updated August 17, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Denny's is a great place to work if you're into a fast paced steady work shift (in 28 reviews)

• Good money especially since close to Disney and other amusement parks (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • End up working all holidays and long hours (in 38 reviews)

• Con for some although I'm use to it a 24/7 business (in 21 reviews)

1. "I wouldn't."

Former Employee - Server in Yemassee, SC
    Former Employee - Server in Yemassee, SC

I worked at Denny's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get a 50% discount when on duty and a 25% discount when you're off the clock, but that's about it when it comes to pros other than flexibility.

Cons

Long hours, lazy coworkers who only want to socialize with their friends who come in, rude managers, drama. Roaches are common.

Advice to Management

Please, and I do mean please, stop hiring people who get fired and then come back - especially people who have threatened to assault another person. It is not a revolving door, it is a work place.

2. "Diner"

I have been working at Denny's part-time

Pros

Flexible hours, interesting staff, no experience required

Cons

Small area, so no steady or stable flow of income

3. "Never Again"

Former Employee - Server in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Server in San Jose, CA

I worked at Denny's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The only good thing about working at Denny's as a server is that you will be thrown into a busy restaurant with no experience and have to sink or swim, so you get a lot of experience very quickly.

Cons

Too many downsides to count, so I'll probably forget a few. Worked there for almost a year, and I never received an apron or booklet for my notepad for orders, and every time I asked, they said they were "ordering more". Within the first two weeks I went and bought my own aprons and booklet, even though they kept promising them. There were, no joke, at least 4 managers on the clock at a time. There had to be about 10 managers total, and they always were bickering and never listened to one another, and inevitably one would always be on their phone in the office for hours at a time. I'd be taught how to prep something one way by one manager, and then be yelled at by another for doing it wrong. There was 0 communication. I remember one time specifically a few weeks before I left that one manager actually made me pay for a table who had walked out/"dine and dashed" earlier in my section that day. When I asked if he was joking, he just laughed and said I couldn't leave until it was paid. Obviously this is illegal, but honestly, it isn't even worth my time to go to the labor board, and after working overtime that shift for a full 10 hours, I just wanted to go home so I threw my $30 in tips at him. Another thing, if you think you'll make tips, you barely will. The only people who come to Denny's to eat are homeless people who will hit on you and not tip and families who think they're better than you and only tip $1 or $2 for a party of 8. On the few weekends before I left, the wait time for both seating and food was excessive, people were waiting 30 minutes to sit, and then, at the worst of the worst, people were waiting AN HOUR between ordering and receiving their food, and the cooks who are forgetting to cook things blame it all on the servers for taking other people's food.
    A cluster, and it's enraging to see them treat their employees like trash and then go on social media and act "quirky" and "cool". Absolutely the worst job I have ever had. Also, they'll schedule you SPECIFICALLY with 8 1/2 hours, just under overtime, because your 30 minute break counts as not paid. And to top this all off: I gave my two weeks and they STILL called me the day after my last day, asking where I was because they had scheduled me an 8 1/2 hour shift on a busy Sunday and no one would cover it. Idiots.

Advice to Management

Less is more, you idiots. Your staff don't need to be berated with multiple managers at a time, and it's very tough to get to go home when different managers assign you different sidework, tacking an extra two hours onto my already 9 hour shift. Also, the managers need to take some kind of class to make them more aware of people, because they will scream at you and then ask you politely at the end of your shift to come in earlier the next day. No people skills. Managers at Denny's are the scum of the Earth, and they know it, so they treat other people horribly to feel better about their own dead end lives.

4. "restaurant crew"

Former Employee - Restaurant Crew in Bell, CA
    Former Employee - Restaurant Crew in Bell, CA

I worked at Denny's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

food and the perks are amazing

Cons

There really isn't any cons. The job is fun

"Line Cook"

Current Employee - Line Cook in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Line Cook in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Denny's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Denny's is a great place to work if you're into a fast paced steady work shift....get in early..get out early and have the rest of the day to yourself. Great benefits too.

Cons

Sometimes you may not get your Break as scheduled...just can't get off the line.

Advice to Management

Be more attentive to your Cook's state of mind in the Hustle and Bustle of the day....Breaks are needed...not a suggestion.

6. "Flexible Hours"

Former Employee - Server
    Former Employee - Server

I worked at Denny's full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Management was more than willing to accommodate my schedule needs, having a child and attending college

Cons

It seemed every day I was scheduled to work until 1pm, but would find management keeping me until 4pm-6pm some days due to other employees saying their children needed them more than my own. Caused major issues with my care takers...

Advice to Management

None. My managers were wonderful, and I will always appreciate them.

7. "Horrible"

I have been working at Denny's full-time

Pros

Paycheck that is about it.

Cons

Long workdays, no recognition, no help from DM or HR (corporate location). If they don't like you they will force you out . Horrible work environment, employees run the business not the managers. No outside life whatsoever.

Advice to Management

Time for a new DM that actually works in the market.

8. "It's nice"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

I have been working at Denny's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The day goes by fast. Friendly people.

Cons

Not a single complaint from me.

9. "server at denny's"

I worked at Denny's full-time

Pros

flexible hours, good tips, good food

Cons

not organized, poorly managed, unreliable workers

10. "Everything was terrible. From coworkers to management"

Former Employee - Server/Waitress in San Tan Valley, AZ
    Former Employee - Server/Waitress in San Tan Valley, AZ

I worked at Denny's full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Getting to know customers, making daily money, getting to learn new ways of doing things daily, pleasing customers and using customer service skills everyday and getting better at it

Cons

So slow that you get to meet customers on a personal level, management doesn't know how to schedule or plan a floor chart