Denso Manufacturing Tennessee Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Jack Helmboldt

Pros
  • I would highly recommend this company to anyone looking for a great job, with good job security, and I honestly have nothing bad to say about them (in 6 reviews)

• Good benefits system on promotion (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • No work/life balance, told "no personal conversation, talk is business" (in 4 reviews)

• Sometimes work conditions were not comfortable in plant due to air conditioning not being installed on main plant floor (in 2 reviews)

1. "good job"

Current Employee - Production Expert in Maryville, TN
    Current Employee - Production Expert in Maryville, TN

I have been working at Denso Manufacturing Tennessee full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

benefits, good atmosphere, great co-workers

Cons

advancement in the workplace to further yourself

Advice to Management

put people in the roles to help the company thrive

2. "Mixed feelings"

Current Employee - Production Associate in Maryville, TN
    Current Employee - Production Associate in Maryville, TN

I have been working at Denso Manufacturing Tennessee full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They have a very good benefits package, very good insurance and the pay is somewhat better than average for a non-union employer. Good, clean work environment. Strong emphasis on quality and an atmosphere that allows good communication with direct supervisors. Good vacation. Good community involvement. Good employment for manufacturing industry

Cons

Mandatory overtime. Several departments work 10 hour days six to seven days a week. No time for family life. Attendance policy too strict...doesn't flex when it comes to family emergencies. High pressure environment. Little or no chance to transfer to 1st shift for 2-3 years. Can afford to pay associates more. Heavy reliance on temporary workers

Advice to Management

Allow flexibility or an exception process for discipline of attendance. Create process for excused absences, i.e. doctor excuse...rather than punish unilaterally without consideration of extenuating circumstances. Address overtime issues

3. "Great Place to work"

Current Employee - Engineer in Athens, TN
    Current Employee - Engineer in Athens, TN

Pros

Excellent place to work. There is opportunity to grow and learn.

Cons

Sometimes expectations are not reasonable with the amount of support provided

5. "Quality Control Technical"

Former Employee - Quality Control Technical in Navarre, FL
    Former Employee - Quality Control Technical in Navarre, FL

I worked at Denso Manufacturing Tennessee (More than 10 years)

Pros

Job security with a word wide company.

Cons

Cafe food was not great.

Advice to Management

Keep the great job

6. "Engineers - Proceed With Caution"

Current Employee - Production Engineer in Knoxville, TN
    Current Employee - Production Engineer in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at Denso Manufacturing Tennessee full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The most secure professional position you are likely to ever come across. Your competence, work ethic, and performance will never be a factor in determining your worth to this company nor your opportunity for advancement.

Cons

take every aspect manufacturing engineering; lean, quality, troubleshooting, process improvement, value added manufacturing, process control, statistical analysis and write a paper on what, or how not, not to do on each and you have how Denso practices engineering. No exaggeration.

Advice to Management

Take a managent class. Benchmark other companies. Practice what you preach!

7. "Maintenance"

Former Employee - Maintenance Technician in Maryville, TN
    Former Employee - Maintenance Technician in Maryville, TN

I worked at Denso Manufacturing Tennessee full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good stable place to work. Many opportunities and training. Many advancement opportunities.decent benifits. Very stable work

Cons

Too much mandatory overtime. Below average hourly pay. Management difficult at times. Sometimes you are just a number.

Advice to Management

Listen to your people. Advance those deserving. Allow mid managemnt to have more control over assocuiate actions.

8. "Production Engineering Co-op"

Former Employee - Production Engineering Co-op in Maryville, TN

I worked at Denso Manufacturing Tennessee full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you have initiative, it's a fantastic place to learn about production engineering. Coworkers are respectful and helpful. Pay and housing allowance was very generous.

Cons

Management can be seen as overbearing at times. Sometimes work conditions were not comfortable in plant due to air conditioning not being installed on main plant floor.

Advice to Management

Understand that not everyone wants to work 50+ hours a week. Some employees get into the mindset that they need to stay 3 hours late every day to be seen as a good worker. If you encourage that mindset, you're making Denso seem like an undesirable company to work for.

9. "Maintenance Technician"

Former Employee - Senior Maintenance Technicians in Maryville, TN
    Former Employee - Senior Maintenance Technicians in Maryville, TN

I worked at Denso Manufacturing Tennessee full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Decent Pay, good 401k, good vacation, State of the art equipment, very stable job

Cons

Management who are only out for a paycheck, lack of opportunity for motivated employees due to threat to management, company is past the hump and needs to reinvent itself

Advice to Management

Listen, promote those who earned it, quit working there just for the paycheck, invest in others above yourself

10. "Bullies"

Former Employee - Production Engineering Co-op in Maryville, TN

I worked at Denso Manufacturing Tennessee full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The Pro is that I get to post here to warn any up and coming engineers to avoid this place like the plague. THIS PLACE IS CAREER SUICIDE. They will impress you with their signs all over campus, and make you believe this is a lucrative job to be sought after, then once they get you in the door....

Cons

They will sit you down in a 20 year old chair (from when the place opened). And you will be sitting there thinking "I thought this was a fortune 500 company??". Then you will notice the only people who can find it in the budget for a new chair are the managers. It's a power thing for them. Then when you try to leave after your coop, and ask for a reference, they say "We own you, we will not give you reference. You will come back and work for us or we will make sure your career is over."

Advice to Management

The chair thing, although true, is just an illustration to the mentality of "we own you". They do not give you tools to make you better. Only enough to keep you right where you are. Terrible company to work for - I hope any young engineers reading this will take heed and not have to learn the same lesson I did.

11. "Production supervisor"

Former Employee - Supervisor in Maryville, TN
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Maryville, TN

I worked at Denso Manufacturing Tennessee full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits, move up
    Within the company, on campus classes

Cons

Not all of upper management practices the Denso taught way. Some are micro managers

Advice to Management

Practice what is taught at Denso, empathy, give adequate time to learn a process without interference from day to day responsibilities, listen to the associates that work the line, use their ideas...it takes a team to grow not just one persons ideas. Just because one is in management does not mean you know it all and shouldn't take others advice or suggestions