DentaQuest Reviews | Glassdoor

2.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Steve Pollock

Pros
Cons
  • No room for growth or advancement unless you are friends with upper management or someone in HR (in 12 reviews)

• The overall attitude of this individual is not a surprise to senior management (in 7 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Outstanding forward thinking company; best at what they do"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Pros

I have worked for Dentaquest for 10+ years and have had significant professional growth and success. The leadership does a great job of recognizing top performers and collaborates to achieve mutual goals. I completely disagree with the recent negative reviews. It sounds like sour grapes from individuals that were put on notice for poor job performance and attitudes. It has been a two way street - do your job without a sense of entitlement and negativity and you will move forward and enjoy your career/job. Blaming management and the company probably isn't the answer.

Cons

Communication between different areas needs improvement

Advice to Management

Continue investing in people and technology

2. "Growing company with a good direction."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at DentaQuest full-time

Pros

Smart leaders at the top, good benefits, good people

Cons

Certain departments are less structured than others.

3. "Great Company"

Pros

Growing company that combines a social purpose with a business. Employees really care about each other and customers. The company makes time for community service.

Cons

Fast paced company competing in a fast changing health care environment. This can cause stress and confusion with employees.

Advice to Management

Continue to improve recognition of key contributions. Provide context for employees to better understand why things are changing.

4. "Great place to work."

Pros

Weekends off and holidaysand growing a company

Cons

none at this time thank you

Advice to Management

none at this time thank you

"Great Benefits, great people"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

I have been working at DentaQuest full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits are great and salaries are market based and very competitive. Benefits include not only health insurance but also dental (we are all about oral health here J ), Flexible summer hours, paid volunteer/community service hours, neat state of the art facilities, and great people.

Contrary to the reviews I have read, I have found that upper management is very approachable and open to suggestions. Steve Pollock, Ken Erdelt, Jim Collins, Angela Kish, etc. are all great people who genuinely want to make this company successful. You could never accuse them of turning a blind eye to an issue because I have seen their steadfast commitment to identifying the root of the problem, correcting it and making sure it never happens again. It is impossible to ask upper management to not care about the bottom line, because any company is in business to make money, otherwise, we all lose our jobs, including those on the top.

The company is growing and expanding rapidly into new markets and new lines of business. It is very exciting and scary at the same time, but I love a challenge and the fact that I know the company will be here for years to come. It has been in business for over 2 decades.

The people that I work with are amazing individuals that go above and beyond their duties every day, not just to complete the task at hand but to help others within the company. Some of them have been working in the company for over 20 years and will probably retire here as well.

I am very proud of being part of this organization and it pains me to see the reviews it is getting here, because I take pride in my work and I know that the image of the company also reflects on me.

I have worked in the company for 6 years and I look forward to stay here for years to come.

Cons

Because of the accelerated pace in which the company is growing, we have encountered many challenges and hiccups along the way. It feels like a grown man wearing a boy’s pants sometimes. We are too big for the infrastructure and management is scrambling to produce more with the same amount of people.

Human resources could use improvement, in that I agree with other reviewers. They implemented new technologies for everything from training software, performance reviews, to compensation review and hiring, which rather than streamlining our processes have made them more complicated, cumbersome and lengthy. Lots of red tape there too.

Many middle managers and directors appear to be outright lying to upper management about state of affairs within their own departments. The typical “save face” mentality is entrenched in this area. The managers that are trying their best to help others and improve their areas find themselves blocked or stopped by directors from actually making real improvements.

Advice to Management

Pump new blood into middle and upper management (VPs and Directors). Sometimes new perspectives help flush out new initiatives and remove the roadblocks that may be stopping us from getting those much desired improvements. Seniority should not be the basis for promoting talent to the top ranks. Look for fresh ideas. There are great people working for you, you just don’t know it yet because some are working under managers or directors who block any attempts for improvement or new ideas, or even take credit for them!

Do not be afraid of people who tell you the hard truth. Sometimes a Devil’s advocate helps stop group think and actually flushes out what is required for positive change in an organization.

6. "I have been with this company for two years and so far I love it!"

I have been working at DentaQuest full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The team I work with is what makes this work experience amazing. My specific chain of command listens to ideas and is open to ideas of enhancing the work flows and processes. The company is continually adding new business which opens to door for new job opportunities around the country.

Cons

Outside of my department, I see a lot of turn around and disorganization. I can say that over the past two years it has improved tremendously and is continuing to improve.

Advice to Management

Continue to hire managers who assist their direct reports in self and job improvements. Stay away from hiring people only because they are knowledgeable. Knoweldge does not always mean good managerial skills.

7. "Dedicated Company with Impressive Organization Skills."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Coral Gables, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Coral Gables, FL

I worked at DentaQuest full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Very easy to become involved.
    - There is access to a lot of information because of the dedication to improve oral health.
    - The company really cares for oral health and wants to keep you up to speed with all of their many projects and aspirations.
    - Fair in terms of management, favoritism is not apparent because the rules are streamlined and enforced for everyone. I did not witness any injustice by this company.
    - Very Organized, it is apparent that the company has found a formula that works for majority of the country and allows for exceptional business conditions for both employees and clients.
    - Never a dull moment as the company strives to generate new initiatives to keep the business healthy.
    - The Company aims to learn about their employees, and grow on that employees skill.
    - Very pretty and hygienic employees.

Cons

- No initiatives to restore some networks.
    - Like any company, there are sheep and there are wolves in sheep clothing.
    - The Florida Market
    - The Illinois Market
    - The Florida office is the red headed step child because of the large cultural gap.
    - Partiality is apparent between offices also because of the large cultural gap.
    - Some network gaps do not allow an atmosphere to work diligently.

Advice to Management

- There are better ways of doing things. Find the right method, not a patch, not a cover up, the winning numbers come after the right method is found, not before a right method is found, so focus on having employees doing it right as opposed to making the numbers look right. Your influence is definitely a force to be reckoned with, and unmatched in terms of pure systematic knowledge of company mechanics, be brave and apply what you already know to win weak markets.
    - Titles are great ways of expressing your forte. However finding the right people to accept those titles is the key to any company. Employees who are there to collect a paycheck are more than likely not in alignment with your vision these are the bottom dwellers and should be kept in the clock tower if their attitudes do not change. Search for passion and eagerness to find the right employees, image is a sub attribute that does not constitute to quality of work. Uniform understanding across employees is also an elusive but very important key.
    - Context is utmost important and should be considered for all situations and in many cases needs more attention. Every situation is different and needs to be placed under the microscope to assure appropriate judgment.
    - You are looking for client and customer satisfaction, not employee ethics, morals, manners etc. When looking for customer and client satisfaction you have to consider the context and what is most important is that the correct message was relayed in a clear and concise manner.
    - Quality cannot be streamlined and expected to be excellent.
    - Learn that the medical world is a revolving door, use that knowledge to restore weak networks.
    - Anger is a byproduct of a vicious cycle, find the disconnect, eliminate anything agitating the circumstance, work on restoring and aggregating to the solution.
    - Florida Dentist are spoiled compared to all of your other markets, fix that and you will win the market.
    - Weak markets need a lot of patience and a lot of corporate therapy for the proper restoration.

"Fast past, always growing company"

I have been working at DentaQuest full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I've been with the company for 10 years and in that time, held several progressively responsible positions. The company - like any company - has experienced its bumps in the road, but on the whole, it's a solid place to work and I am very happy being a part of the team.

DentaQuest isn't for everyone - you have to be comfortable working in a fast-paced environment, adaptable to change and above all, be flexible. The industry is ever changing, so if you aren't good with change, DentaQuest probably isn't for you. In my experience, my managers have been very open to suggestions to improve processes and new solutions. In my particular department, innovation is encouraged and acted upon.

Pros:
    Company is very big on promoting from within
    Many departments offer flexible schedules to promote work-life balance
    Casual dress code, except when clients visit
    Leave early on Fridays during summer
    Tremendous growth year after year - always hiring
    4 weeks of PTO when you start
    401K matching
    Raises every year
    Bonuses every year if you get a minimum average review score
    Past several years, we've gotten discretionary funding into our pensions

Cons

HR is very slow to move
    From what I've heard, the training program could use some improvements, but as I understand it, this is being worked on right now

9. "great place to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grafton, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grafton, WI

I have been working at DentaQuest full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Not sure why so many negative reviews, the company has:

Great benefits (great 401k match, start with 4 weeks vacation, Health benefits are really good)
    Great Work/Life balance
    Good coworkers

There maybe managers that are a pain to work with (though I don't know any) but in IT, things are running pretty smoothly.

Cons

You spending a lot of your day putting out fires and can change focus really rapidly.

Advice to Management

Some of the system environments needs some serious TLC. Fix the current existing problems before trying to enhance the system.

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mequon, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mequon, WI

I have been working at DentaQuest full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great people to work with, friendly atmosphere.

Cons

Some people in management positions do not belong there.

Advice to Management

Stop promotimg people that don't know what the hell they are doing.