Denver Mattress Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.3
Dan Visser

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • One of the better training programs and great pay structure (in 7 reviews)

• This organization stays on the cutting edge of sleep technology and leads the industry in excellent customer service (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours some days; working weekends and holidays (in 16 reviews)

• Retail hours, however we have a schedule that can be adjusted if needed (in 10 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Love This Company!"

Current Employee - Manager in Lone Tree, CO
    Current Employee - Manager in Lone Tree, CO

I have been working at Denver Mattress full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have worked for Denver Mattress for 11 years now. I came to work for this company after spending 18 years at another company and after all that time I was just another number. I wanted a company that I could be a part of and retire with, and Denver Mattress look like it could be the one. Being with this company for 11 years now and have moved to several different states with the company that always had my back. I always try and give it my all and really try and listen to them for my areas of improvement and in turn they have really tried to make the right moves for me and my family. So what I am really trying to say is it if you really want a career and work hard this company will take care of you.

Cons

Some say long hours.... but I have always been in retail and management so this is nothing new. I like this pay style because the more you work the more money you can make! verse my last career they work your butt off and you get the same paycheck for 40 hours or 60 hours.

Advice to Management

The thing that was hardest for me in switching careers was building back up the vacation time, but at 3 years you get 3 weeks or you can get 3 weeks automatically when you make it to store manager.

May 30, 2017 – Regional Sales Director - West Region

Thank you for your review and we look forward to many more years of success with you!

2. "Manager in traininh"

Current Employee - Manager-In-Training in Medford, OR
    Current Employee - Manager-In-Training in Medford, OR

I have been working at Denver Mattress full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A company who truly believes in family and making you a better person!

Cons

If you have cons you aren't willing to do what it takes to be a better person and have a better life!

Advice to Management

Keep supporting us like you do, and driving us to be better people!

"Prev. Assistant Manager"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager

I worked at Denver Mattress full-time

Pros

Relationships with the fellow employees, employee incentives if they reached a certain amount of sales.

Cons

I was asked by my store manager at the time to write a good review on glassdoor when I was still working there. It is retail so you will be working weekends, wouldn't be a problem, but you have to work all day there are no morning and night shifts and it doesn't seem right when the store manager can leave early, yet you or any other employee can't leave. I even asked for 3 days off to attend a funeral, and my request was denied by my store manager. Your warehouse team does not get paid well so there is a lot of employee turnover. It is hard to keep a delivery crew when you try to manage the delivery schedule yet the row keeps working them too hard causing them to quit. I always felt bad calling to customers to tell them they weren't getting their product. As a customer I would be furious, and I have dealt with this first hand. Tons of customers have yelled at me and cussed at me. The pay is there if you are in a bigger store, but if you go to a small store expect a huge pay cut and for the amount of work you have to do it's not worth it. I worked 48-53 hours a week and when the Store manager was gone I would have to work extra. Normally a 75 hour work week. Upper management feed off of young naive people to buy in into the company.

Advice to Management

Help your delivery and warehouse personnel. They're the one's that help get the product out to customers. Help out the smaller stores.

Aug 14, 2017 – National Sales Manager

Thank you for your review of your experience with us. I would love to talk to you more about your experience so that we can better understand your situation and work to make the improvements as... More

"Read reviews"

Former Employee - Management Trainee in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Management Trainee in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Denver Mattress full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

None. Notice none if reviews are from a salesperson. Thats because everyone is a manager trainee=salesperson. Reviews are podtef by managers and long term managers in training. Look at them...many managers in training have been there gor many years???

Cons

Bait and hook used by high attrition sales companies. The only managers needed are salespersins willing to relocate after you prove your sales skills

Advice to Management

Stop with the bait and hook, stop leveling the rating by intentionally rating to offset negative

Aug 28, 2017 – National Sales Manager

I am not sure what reviews you are reading. There is no bait and switch as we are very open about hiring sales / management trainees, but occasionally hire people who are just in the sales position... More

"Financially rewarding, best paying retail job I've ever had."

Current Employee - Store Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at Denver Mattress full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The company's philosophy of promoting from within was a big part of why i started working here. I knew that with hard work, I could advance as far as I wanted to. The upper management all started at the bottom, just like everyone else. The management team is genuinely interested in the success of their people. One of the best ways to get recognized and move up (as a manager) is to train and promote your staff. As a sales person, your success depends on your effort and your ability to do your job, plain and simple.

The interview process was one of the longest I've ever had in a job search, however, that was what sold me on the company. If an employer is willing to send you through three interviews, (a total of about 5 hours for me), then that has to show you that they are investing in the right people. It's not about hiring a warm body.

I believe we are compensated to a degree that is more generous than most commission jobs, at least in our industry anyway. Even if you are in a smaller, slower store. The job itself is easy, but you do have to have some personality to be successful. Anyone can memorize the presentation, but you need to be able to build rapport with the customer, and robots don't build good rapport.

You get to interact with so many different kinds of people, and experience the joy of helping someone with a genuine problem that they are having. The importance of good sleep is very underrated, and we provide that for people. A very honorable profession to be in.

I am writing this review after seeing some of the negative reviews that have been posted on here where the reviewers failed to see the bigger picture. This company offers the opportunity for anyone of good character and integrity to succeed. That's it! Do the right thing while doing things right... this applies to more than the customer experience, but also the way you treat your fellow employees.

Cons

Some challenges that face us every day are related to standard retail industry problems, that I don't feel are specific to this company. There are others that I believe are specific.

Before I came to work at Denver Mattress, I had managed other retail businesses, large and small and was able to be a manager. I managed people. I managed product. I managed inventory. I managed all aspects of the store, and occasionally engaged in sales presentations. Denver Mattress is my first commission based job. Here your primary concern is selling. Even as a manager. In a smaller location, you are unable to really manage much, because you are actually "doing", and not delegating and following up. In a smaller store, you don't get to utilize many of the management skills you may have acquired in previous experiences.

Being in a smaller store, with less staff, you don't have time away from the floor to do administrative or operational duties. There will always be instances where you are working alone. The obvious answer to this is "hire more people". Not all stores can support an extra sales person, if they can even find a good one to interview. This means if you want time to do admin stuff, you either come in on a day off, or work late after working a 12 hour shift. In a 2 person store, there will be at least 2 days a week where you work alone. And if you happen to have a busy day, you get no breaks, no lunch. There have been too many times in the past 8 years, where my lunch sat unopened, or I ordered a pizza and it never got touched. Or when you have to use the restroom, and you hear the door, but you are unable to help the customer. If you are unfortunate enough to have a warehouse employee quit or move on to another job, you can be without a warehouse person for a very long time. The longest time period without a warehouse person for my store was almost 10 months.

Advice to Management

I would say that most of the problems that I have experienced are not typical of the majority of our stores. But in the smaller stores, something needs to change. Burnout is a real thing, especially covering vacations and training meetings. Allowing the managers to actually manage, instead of just being the best salesperson in the store. There is no perfect fix, as retail is a very imperfect industry. Overall, I would say the pros far outweigh the cons in this company. We are well compensated, so there's always that silver lining, but its not always about the money.

Jul 17, 2017 – Regional Sales Director - West Region

Thank you so much for your review. We do understand the challenges of a smaller staffed store and are actively looking at ways to make it simpler from scheduling standpoint. In terms of coverage... More

6. "Store Manager"

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Denver Mattress full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company starts entirely from within, so everyone starts as sales and works up the chain. You set your pace by how well you perform. The pay is great even starting out. Company has quite a few benefits to offer.

Cons

I'll put it into the cons for the people who are debating it, you do work weekends, it is a sales environment and that is how you make money as an employee. It's not even a con as long as you understand this going into the position.

Advice to Management

More advertising for smaller locations to help them grow more effectively.

"Sales Job with Integrity"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Denver Mattress full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

One of the better training programs and great pay structure.

Cons

Promotion to Store Manager can be cumbersome.

Advice to Management

Have an more open process for promotions.

8. "Old business in new age"

Former Employee - "Sales Manager Trainee" in Lonetree, CO
    Former Employee - "Sales Manager Trainee" in Lonetree, CO

I worked at Denver Mattress full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Money isn't bad. Not hard work.

Cons

Scripted robotic work. Learn word for word, punctuation and all to fit in. Competitive pay comes along with stress. "Paid after delivery" if merch doesn't go out due to others errors, your pay still gets docked. Same old workers for 10+ years isn't a review that surprised me. Dead end. Mediocre benefits after 3 full months of employment.

Advice to Management

Team based compensation with team goals. Not having the workers worry about who comes in the door next. Loosen up the strings on the robotic skit they have to play.

Jun 26, 2017 – Regional Sales Director - West Region

Thank you for your review. My only wish was you would have stuck around long enough to really understand the company as you misunderstood some very important details. First, pay does not get... More

"Great Company"

I worked at Denver Mattress full-time

Pros

Great company, great pay. The people you work with are great and the job never gets boring. The day goes quick.

Cons

Very long hours, nights, weekends, holidays, you name it, your working it. Hard to have a life, a family, or any other plans cause if one manager calls off or is on vacation, you could work 75+ hours a week

May 30, 2017 – Regional Sales Director - West Region

Thank you for the review. I would love to talk to you about your work schedule and help alleviate some of the issues you may be having. Feel free to contact me at 303-566-8172 at your convenience... More

10. "Assistant Store Manager"

I have been working at Denver Mattress full-time

Pros

All promoting done from within company. Guaranteed promotion opportunity of hired.

Cons

Only 3 holidays off per year and no weekends off.