Denver Mattress Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.1
Dan Visser

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Company promotes from within and promotions are based off of performance" (in 7 reviews)

• "Overall great pay for a job with little health risk or required education" (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • "Long hours physically demanding unloading trucks" (in 18 reviews)

• "Retail hours, however we have a schedule that can be adjusted if needed" (in 11 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Incredible company to work for."

I have been working at Denver Mattress full-time

Pros

I have worked for Denver Mattress for over 4 years and they just give you opertunitys and trainings that no one else will in a job the requires not experience to start.

Cons

With ever management job you do work a lot. But there are a lot of management jobs out there that pay you way less and make you work a lot more so it’s worth it.

Jun 6, 2018 – National Sales Manager

Thank you so much for your review. If I can ever be of any assistance in your workload, please do not hesitate to call me at 303-566-8172

"Assistant manager"

I worked at Denver Mattress full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The store I originally started in was great. From what I hear, most of the stores in the company are also great. I planned on retiring from Denver Mattress. The store manager and warehouse guy in the Madison should be hailed for their time in that store. They work harder than anyone in the company, and are helpful and positive as can be. I honestly enjoyed working with the people, unfortunately just not at that store.

Cons

The showroom is huge. More beds than any other store in the company with several flights of stairs and no stock picker. With models constantly changing, and trucks being unloaded, this job is more like factory work, only in dress clothes. You will sweat. Clothes will get ruined, often.

The company figured out the pay scale for warehouse work in this market was being under paid and fixed it. Sadly, they haven't figured out that the other positions aren't compensated competitively. It's expensive to live here compared to the majority of other markets we are in. The mold isn't the same. Everyone that comes here takes a massive pay cut. Recognize it and stop blaming us.

Advice to Management

Store manager, keep your head up. The fact that you've been there so long without being recognized and promoted is a serious mis by the company. Upper management stop fitting every store into the company into the same cookie cutter mold. Some of these failed/conversion markets are serioulsy hard. This is the hardest physical and mental job I've ever had. If you find people who will come to these stores, and stay, they should be rewarded, not constantly criticized and ridiculed. And please stop promising unrealistic things to people to get them to pick up their life and move, only to realize it was a lie.

"I cannot think of a better place to make you feel like you are worth something."

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Daytona Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Daytona Beach, FL

I have been working at Denver Mattress full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You will find the pro of get what you make and honesty everywhere. The more honest you are, the farther you go.

Cons

Vacation takes a while to get, but that’s a part of the trust building that comes with being a part of this company.

Advice to Management

Please please keep communication a high priority. Just like customers love advice, knowledge, and updates, employees will appreciate the same respect.

Apr 9, 2018 – National Sales Manager

Thank you for your review. We look forward to a great future with you.

4. "A Way of Life..."

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Denver Mattress full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This company overall embodies everything I want in a company. Integrity, Family oriented, Taking care of the customer, great product at reasonable prices, and the joy of really being able to help customers truly have a better tomorrow. For a retail job, its amazing. As long as you aren't scared of being a team player, helping out/respecting your warehouse/delivery personnel, cleaning, talking to different people all the time, self-motivation, and occasionally, days working alone.
    -as sales associate: you focus only on learning about the company, the product, how to sell and how to take care of your customers (some people who are promoted are thrown into the position not knowing how to do books or payroll)
    -assistant managers do receive a little override. Depending on your location, you are responsible for anything that may arise in the store, but get paid greatly less than the manager, even if you work more hours or handle more of the store responsibilities. Depending on the location and number of stores an assistant is responsible for, you may end up actually getting paid less than your sales associates, since it is commission based and you may end up focusing more on the store logistics than assisting customers.
    -Store managers get paid an override approx. 2 to 3 times higher than the assistants (Depends on the location and number of assistant managers). They are responsible for the entire store. Every store manager is different. Some focus on logistics, others on customer service, and others on training/mentoring their employees. If you are lucky, you get one that is somewhat balanced.
    -Only Promotes from within. (Both a pro and con... its hard for some who have had years of management to start over again.)
    -Training/conferences at every level, allowing you to interact and network with peers and leaders throughout the whole company.
    -Team work is preached.
    -Overall great pay for a job with little health risk or required education.

Cons

-Assistant Manager have a lot of the same responsivities as store manager, with little authority to make changes.
    -Promotion bottlenecks at the assistant manager level. Most store managers have been with the company over 10 years and don't plan on leaving (Which shows what a great company it is to work for), while the number of new stores opening seems to not satisfy the number of assistance waiting for their own store.
    -Store/Assistant Managers have little authority, other than write up an employee when issues arise.
    -Some store managers take advantage of their position. Taking extra time off, leaving store tasks to assistant/associates, change policies depending on who it benefits etc. Some stores only get visited once every two/three months from higher ups. Due to this, employees may feel they cannot talk about issues in the store from fear of retaliation and/or being black listed/labeled hard to work with. (This not only can affect moral, but also productivity and communication)
    -Not every store follows the team mentality. Normally the store follows the lead of the manager. If they are focused on developing the whole team, the team wins/loses together. If they are focused on their pay check, then everyone in the store is focused on only themselves. It is hard for higher ups to see this when they aren't around.
    -Depending on your work ethic, you can end up working over 50 hrs a week(especially when your store is short staffed, on vacation, training) and you don't want it to affect your employees with family.

Advice to Management

-Pay the warehouse/delivery personnel more. They are the backbone of our company. Without them no one gets paid...
    -Anonymous reporting of issues with management team. (Though this is hard in some areas due to the number of employees there)
    -Most of the locations that have multiple assistances have them because they are needed, due to higher work load. The Managers and assistance at those locations shouldn't have a lower override then others.
    -Training Book for assistant and store managers, will assist those of us who encounter an issues.
    -Communicate plans for growth in the company or we will continue to lose good asst. mgr who have lost hope/motivation of being promoted.
    -As the company grows, perhaps look into a second factory more east. This may decrease transportation costs, wait times, and allow for more growth in that part of the country.

Mar 12, 2018 – National Sales Manager

Thank you for your review. I would love to discuss your ideas, so please feel free to contact me at 303-566-8172 whenever you wish to talk. I look forward to hearing from you.

5. "Store Manager"

Current Employee - Retail Store Manager in Columbia, MO
    Current Employee - Retail Store Manager in Columbia, MO

I have been working at Denver Mattress full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

First class company culture, great pay, laid back atmosphere, continuous training, empowerment, promote from within, great benefits (medical/dental/vision/vacation). Rapid advancement opportunities available.

Cons

Retail hours (nights and weekends). Warehouse
    responsibilities. Outdated systems can make day to day activities a struggle. Not many cons for such a great career opportunity.

Advice to Management

Continue to grow and expand the good things we got going. More areas of the country need to experience “better tomorrow’s” through what Denver Mattress has to offer!!!

Feb 14, 2018 – National Sales Manager

Thank you for your review. We are working on a major system update and hope to have that soon. Thanks again and we look forward to a bright future!

6. "Denver Mattress"

Current Employee - Manager in Bloomington, IL
    Current Employee - Manager in Bloomington, IL

I have been working at Denver Mattress full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people our company has by far and away exceed expectations. Good money involved and quick promotions. I couldn't be happier to be an employee here.

Cons

There are very minimal downsides, benefits could be a bit better, especially for people with children and a couple long days during the week, but the positives very much out weigh the negatives.

Advice to Management

Keep doin what you're doin!

"Sales job with little to no traffic"

I worked at Denver Mattress full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Relaxed and easygoing. Laid back and some cool stuff to learn. Get to travel for conferences. Meet lots of interesting people.

Cons

Long days, poor traffic amount/quality, working essentially 3 jobs for 1 job pay. No ads. Have to cut deals to match competition but get ridiculed. Get usurped by upper management on cases that shouldn't be taken care of in ways they are.

Advice to Management

Look into paying your managers more since you had to up warehouse pay for area. Also get some ads, none are existing.

Feb 14, 2018 – National Sales Manager

Thank you for your review and we wish you the best of luck in the future with whatever you choose to do. I disagree with many of your points as I know what you were making at the location you were... More

8. "Great Company"

I have been working at Denver Mattress full-time (More than a year)

Pros

*promotes within
    *great career opportunity
    *make your own salary

Cons

*long hours
    *Dealing with difficult customers

9. "Great Place to Start A Career!"

I have been working at Denver Mattress full-time

Pros

They definitely have the best training program! Very detailed in every way. The manages and co-workers are very helpful, there's no question considered a dumb question. The manager gives you feedbacks and try to help you improve in any way he can.

Cons

Nothing that I can think of.

Advice to Management

Many opportunities are provided, as long as you work hard, you will get noticed. The company value you and want you to be a better version of yourself.

Jan 8, 2018 – National Sales Manager

Thank you for your review! We look forward to seeing where your career takes you!

"Odd company culture"

Former Employee - Sales Manager Trainee in Lone Tree, CO
    Former Employee - Sales Manager Trainee in Lone Tree, CO

I worked at Denver Mattress full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get a three day weekend every other week. This is nice because you can work 12 hour days for five days straight " commission only".

Cons

The management is very concerned with interpersonal drama and reviews. Hence the 4.3 star glass door rating. They asked all the management to post a positive review. Micro managing, word for word coaching, inappropriate interview. They asked me nothing that pertained to sales job skills and everything about my personal life from birth to current. Highly illegal questions. Run!

Advice to Management

Stop concerning yourself with people's personal views and beliefs and become a company focused on professional performance.

Feb 14, 2018 – National Sales Manager

We appreciate your review, but I do have a few points to clarify. As with all companies that use Glassdoor, we asked employees for any review, not just good. I was the one that asked, so please get... More