Denver Mattress Store Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

Store Manager

4.7
Dan Visser

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • One of the better training programs and great pay structure (in 7 reviews)

• This organization stays on the cutting edge of sleep technology and leads the industry in excellent customer service (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours some days; working weekends and holidays (in 17 reviews)

• Retail hours, comes with the territory (in 10 reviews)

1. "Store Manager"

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Denver Mattress full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company starts entirely from within, so everyone starts as sales and works up the chain. You set your pace by how well you perform. The pay is great even starting out. Company has quite a few benefits to offer.

Cons

I'll put it into the cons for the people who are debating it, you do work weekends, it is a sales environment and that is how you make money as an employee. It's not even a con as long as you understand this going into the position.

Advice to Management

More advertising for smaller locations to help them grow more effectively.

"Financially rewarding, best paying retail job I've ever had."

Current Employee - Store Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at Denver Mattress full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The company's philosophy of promoting from within was a big part of why i started working here. I knew that with hard work, I could advance as far as I wanted to. The upper management all started at the bottom, just like everyone else. The management team is genuinely interested in the success of their people. One of the best ways to get recognized and move up (as a manager) is to train and promote your staff. As a sales person, your success depends on your effort and your ability to do your job, plain and simple.

The interview process was one of the longest I've ever had in a job search, however, that was what sold me on the company. If an employer is willing to send you through three interviews, (a total of about 5 hours for me), then that has to show you that they are investing in the right people. It's not about hiring a warm body.

I believe we are compensated to a degree that is more generous than most commission jobs, at least in our industry anyway. Even if you are in a smaller, slower store. The job itself is easy, but you do have to have some personality to be successful. Anyone can memorize the presentation, but you need to be able to build rapport with the customer, and robots don't build good rapport.

You get to interact with so many different kinds of people, and experience the joy of helping someone with a genuine problem that they are having. The importance of good sleep is very underrated, and we provide that for people. A very honorable profession to be in.

I am writing this review after seeing some of the negative reviews that have been posted on here where the reviewers failed to see the bigger picture. This company offers the opportunity for anyone of good character and integrity to succeed. That's it! Do the right thing while doing things right... this applies to more than the customer experience, but also the way you treat your fellow employees.

Cons

Some challenges that face us every day are related to standard retail industry problems, that I don't feel are specific to this company. There are others that I believe are specific.

Before I came to work at Denver Mattress, I had managed other retail businesses, large and small and was able to be a manager. I managed people. I managed product. I managed inventory. I managed all aspects of the store, and occasionally engaged in sales presentations. Denver Mattress is my first commission based job. Here your primary concern is selling. Even as a manager. In a smaller location, you are unable to really manage much, because you are actually "doing", and not delegating and following up. In a smaller store, you don't get to utilize many of the management skills you may have acquired in previous experiences.

Being in a smaller store, with less staff, you don't have time away from the floor to do administrative or operational duties. There will always be instances where you are working alone. The obvious answer to this is "hire more people". Not all stores can support an extra sales person, if they can even find a good one to interview. This means if you want time to do admin stuff, you either come in on a day off, or work late after working a 12 hour shift. In a 2 person store, there will be at least 2 days a week where you work alone. And if you happen to have a busy day, you get no breaks, no lunch. There have been too many times in the past 8 years, where my lunch sat unopened, or I ordered a pizza and it never got touched. Or when you have to use the restroom, and you hear the door, but you are unable to help the customer. If you are unfortunate enough to have a warehouse employee quit or move on to another job, you can be without a warehouse person for a very long time. The longest time period without a warehouse person for my store was almost 10 months.

Advice to Management

I would say that most of the problems that I have experienced are not typical of the majority of our stores. But in the smaller stores, something needs to change. Burnout is a real thing, especially covering vacations and training meetings. Allowing the managers to actually manage, instead of just being the best salesperson in the store. There is no perfect fix, as retail is a very imperfect industry. Overall, I would say the pros far outweigh the cons in this company. We are well compensated, so there's always that silver lining, but its not always about the money.

Jul 17, 2017 – Regional Sales Director - West Region

Thank you so much for your review. We do understand the challenges of a smaller staffed store and are actively looking at ways to make it simpler from scheduling standpoint. In terms of coverage... More

"Amazing company to work for."

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in South Bend, IN
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in South Bend, IN

I have been working at Denver Mattress full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people that you meet in the company. Paid traveling to different destinations for company meetings. Fast paced but at the same time a relaxed work environment. Factory direct mattresses at a much better price than name brand.

Cons

Not consistent pay. Hard to keep any delivery crew or warehouse manager. Long hours when a manager is on vacation. Usually working a 70 hour week if someone is gone.

Advice to Management

Keep improving. It's a great company and I've seen so many improvements since I've been here.

Jun 26, 2017 – Regional Sales Director - West Region

Thank you for your review and we continue to look forward with ways to improve. Please feel free to contact me at anytime if you have any questions or concerns.

4. "Awesome opportunity for growth and earning potential."

Current Employee - Store Manager in Missoula, MT
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Missoula, MT

I have been working at Denver Mattress full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I have been with the company for 9 years and they have done an amazing job of helping make me not just a better salesperson and manager but also encouraging personal growth as well. They really do a great job of moving you up through the company based on your performance and not tenure. That along with the earning potential that you're able to achieve has made it a great experience.

Cons

Retail hours sometimes make it tough to have a normal social life, but that is normal of any position in retail.

Jun 26, 2017 – Regional Sales Director - West Region

Thank you for your review and we look forward to seeing even more success from you!

5. "Store Manager/ Retail Manger"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Glenwood Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Glenwood Springs, CO

I have been working at Denver Mattress full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Potential for rapid growth, Good compensation, Benefits, 401k, paid vacations and really you can make as much money as you want if your willing to learn and grow everyday.

Cons

Retail hours, comes with the territory.

But pros really do win out here.

Feb 24, 2017 – Regional Sales Director - West Region

Thank you for your review and we look forward to continuing to see your career grow. Please feel free to contact me at 303-566-8172 if you ever need anything.

6. "Opportunity for Success"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Moline, IL
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Moline, IL

I have been working at Denver Mattress full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Denver Mattress is a company that is invested in you and your family. They give you every thing you need to succeed and help you along the way. As a company based on merit you can go far with your own drive. They hire only the right people, as you walk around at a meeting you find yourself surrounded by leaders.

Cons

I don't think I would find a better opportunity anywhere else.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

Feb 24, 2017 – Regional Sales Director - West Region

7. "Stable Career with Above Average Income"

Current Employee - Store Manager in South Bend, IN
    Current Employee - Store Manager in South Bend, IN

I have been working at Denver Mattress full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Cons

Not everyone knows how good of a company this is.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

Feb 24, 2017 – Regional Sales Director - West Region

Thank you for your review. It continues to be a pleasure working with you and we are excited for the future.

8. "Great company"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Madison, WI

I have been working at Denver Mattress full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The training, the pay, the culture, I could go on. This is seriously the best job I've ever had and I don't see myself leaving.

Cons

Aside from working holidays I can't think of any major cons. I knew I would be working holidays when I went into the job so it's expected.

Feb 24, 2017 – Regional Sales Director - West Region

Thank you for your review and we look forward to seeing the growth you can create at your store and with your team. Please feel free to contact me 303-566-812 if you need any assistance.

"A unique opportunity to fulfill your talent and ambition"

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Littleton, CO
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Littleton, CO

I have been working at Denver Mattress full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

As a company that promotes only from within no one ahead of you started with more advantage than you. As a true commission environment your compensation is an accurate measure of your present performance. You can go as far as your talent and ambition can take you.

Training program is strong and the culture of constant coach-ability and growth brings out the best in people.

Cons

There are no guarantees. One of the hardest lessons this environment teaches you is that your ambition is often greater than your talent. Only the very best of the very best make it to higher levels. If you are anything less you can become stuck.

Advice to Management

The core benefits package is excellent, but very poorly presented. Employees either tend to go all in on the benefits or really fail to see the value in them. There is a large missed opportunity available through *employee paid* benefits. The company fails to leverage it's size to provide *group rate* benefits. They would not need to be paid for by the company. The ability to have disability insurance and high value life insurance would be an incredible advantage.

Feb 24, 2017 – Regional Sales Director - West Region

Thank you for your review. Ambition and drive will get you where you ant to go. Keep working at it and your goals will be achieved. We have been very impressed with your growth and look forward to... More

10. "Store Manager"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Denver Mattress full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

This is a great company with a great culture. The upper management team is the strongest and most compassionate teams I have ever encountered. Promotion opportunities are based off of performance and not seniority. The company gives back in amazing ways, especially their involvement World Vision.

Cons

Retail hours can be challenging if having Saturdays, Sundays and holidays off is a must for you.

Advice to Management

Keep the culture great!

Feb 7, 2017 – Regional Sales Director - West Region

Thank you for review and we are very proud to have you on the team as well helping us provide great sleep and give back to the world. Please do not hesitate to contact me at 303-566-8172 if I can... More