Denver Public Schools Reviews in Denver, CO | Glassdoor

Denver Public Schools Superintendent Tom Boasberg
Tom Boasberg

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Also, if you value a work/life balance, being a teacher in DPS is not for you (in 6 reviews)

• Very low pay, likely will need a second job if you plan to live in Denver (in 7 reviews)

1. "Great Flexibility, Decent Pay"

Current Contractor - Full Time Guest Teacher in Denver, CO
    Current Contractor - Full Time Guest Teacher in Denver, CO

I have been working at Denver Public Schools as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexibility, different every day, no lesson planning

Cons

Work in harder to manage schools

Advice to Management

I've really enjoyed my time with DPS, great program for highly qualified candidates who need the flexibility that a full-time position cannot offer.

2. "Principals have too much power"

Former Employee - Teacher in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Teacher in Denver, CO

I worked at Denver Public Schools full-time

Pros

Students and families are great. There is a good amount of training provided. Colleagues are great.

Cons

Principals are given too much power. A change in leadership can make or break your career.

Advice to Management

Listen to teachers. When an entire school leaves (including teachers, paraprofessional, facility managers, and custodians) after a new principal comes, look into the situation. Trust your teachers more as they are on the front lines of education because they truly care.

3. "Teaching Fellow, Math (Math Fellows)"

Former Employee - Denver Math Fellow in Denver, CO

I worked at Denver Public Schools full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

DPS has a great mission statement and can be a great reminder of why we do the work we do with kids. The Denver Fellows (Math and Literacy) are considered employees of DPS and receive the same benefit packages and days off as regular full time employees. And while the program is done the first week of June, you continued to get paid until the end of August. The program is also affiliated with AmeriCorps National Service and thus you can defer your Federal loans while completing your year of service. At the end of the school year, you are eligible for a ~$5800 grant (Segel Award) to use to pay back loans or grad school.

Cons

The school and instructional coach you get placed with can be a hit or miss. Some schools and ICs do not care about as much because they understand you are only there for one year. While grade level teachers are very supportive and encouraging of the work you do, administration can be dismissive of any concerns you have and not follow up with anything. Also, at certain schools you will be seen as the equivalent of a para/TA, and get assigned to menial duties like lunch and recess coverage, which are not part of the job description but you are expected to do as so. The pay is low ($1240 per month after taxes) and many Fellows have second or third jobs to make ends meet since Denver's housing is getting more expensive every year.

Advice to Management

Encourage professional growth and opportunities for your Fellows after the year is over. Fellows are on their own to find the next step after their service year and DPS does not actively lead Fellows. There were very few, if any, sessions on professional growth or possible careers in education after completing the service year.

4. "Special Education Teacher"

Current Employee - Special Education Teacher, Secondary School in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Special Education Teacher, Secondary School in Denver, CO

I have been working at Denver Public Schools full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

flexibility in classroom instruction
    Procomp for working in title one schools.

Cons

Caseload size over 30 students

Advice to Management

More support

5. "Big district, very up and down"

Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Denver, CO

I have been working at Denver Public Schools part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay for sub teachers, nice incentives, good support from administrators and regular teachers at most (but not all) schools. I learned TREMENDOUS life experience working at all different schools with all different ages of kids!

I say "very up and down" because there are schools in all different neighborhoods- Some have been really great, others have been in absolute shambles. It's overall very hit-or-miss where you'll end up as a sub teacher.

Cons

Too much entitlement, lack of discipline in students, mainly from parents. DPS should encourage parents to become more involved in community activities and school functions. Sometimes lack of discipline is also a problem at some, but not all of the schools.

I've talked to other teachers, they tell me their job now includes more of a babysitting factor than being a teacher these days.

Advice to Management

Does DPS also have required health classes (not P.E.)? It seems like this is lacking too. This would make a huge difference in students to make healthier choices in life to take care of themselves. I am appalled at how much junk food these kids bring to school, as well as what they wear (borderline inappropriate- i.e. gang symbol jewelry, etc.) Health classes also educate kids on how to perceive reality vs. superficiality on the media, and nowadays with so much technology it's easy to get sucked into media brainwash.

6. "Great School"

Current Employee - Math Teacher in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Math Teacher in Denver, CO

I have been working at Denver Public Schools full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of feedback, training, and pd

Cons

sometimes there is a lot to do and the district offices are unresponsive

7. "Public Education at Its Worst"

Former Employee - Denver Math Fellow in Denver, CO

I worked at Denver Public Schools full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's steady work and you do get paid over the summer so you can do other things in the meantime.

Cons

This school system is clearly out only for it's own gains, and does not care about its population of students.

Advice to Management

Try being a school district that cares about its students rather than one that simply tries to make itself look good so a higher up can make more money.

8. "Technology Teacher"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at Denver Public Schools part-time

Pros

Good faculty and staff, student diversity

Cons

It's so big, takes a while to understand how they are organized

9. "Denver Math Fellows"

Current Employee - Denver Math Fellow in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Denver Math Fellow in Denver, CO

I have been working at Denver Public Schools full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

One of the major benefits is being in a school everyday, working with children. You are able to impact students through direct math instruction.

Cons

The structure of the program needs to be reviewed. There is little accountability from the coordinators.

Advice to Management

Stick to a plan and see where it takes you, it is difficult to make so many changes during a school year.

10. "DPS has some strengths,and some areas where it can improve."

Current Employee - Paraprofessional in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Paraprofessional in Denver, CO

I have been working at Denver Public Schools part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Retirement pension seems fairly generous

Cons

Even though I have an MA in education, I am not being compensated for it (entry level hourly wage)

Advice to Management

If you'd like more highly qualified people in more areas, compensate folks that are "overqualified."