Denver Public Schools Reviews in Denver, CO | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Denver Public Schools Superintendent Tom Boasberg
Tom Boasberg

Pros
Cons
  • Also, if you value a work/life balance, being a teacher in DPS is not for you (in 6 reviews)

• Very low pay, likely will need a second job if you plan to live in Denver (in 6 reviews)

1. "Substitute Teacher"

Former Contractor - Substitute Teacher in Denver, CO
    Former Contractor - Substitute Teacher in Denver, CO

I worked at Denver Public Schools as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Working as a substitute teacher was great. The system flowed well, it worked perfectly for my schedule, the training and support was good. I never really had any problems. There are a lot of dedicated teachers and administrators doing good work in the schools of DPS.

Cons

I found that some of the human resources in the DPS administration was a bit unclear and hard to navigate at times especially when I was trying to determine if I could get an alternative licensure as an ESL-Spanish Resource teacher. At first I was told I could, so I got hired and into an alternative licensure program, only to find that wasn't a valid subject area so I had to drop out and the principal wasn't allowed to hire me.

Advice to Management

Allow alternative licensure in additional subjects, such as ESL.

2. "Secondary Math Teacher"

Current Employee - Secondary Math Teacher in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Secondary Math Teacher in Denver, CO

I have been working at Denver Public Schools full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

DPS has solid ideals and makes sincere attempts to implement them. They have provided me with steady, decently paid work, and my local work relationships and environment is positive for the most part.

Cons

DPS has its fair share of political craziness that clouds and confuses its mission of student's first. There are people in leadership positions that have no business being there, who make decisions based upon whose back to scratch just because they have the power to do so. The curricular decisions are based upon money, and not enough support is provided for implementation. The teacher evaluation system is highly flawed, and even though it is meant to be more objective and to protect teachers from poor principal leadership, it is still just as subjective as ever and fails in its target miserably. DPS has spent a ton of money toward it, however, and therefore it is likely to be around for the duration. This year has been the most stressful year of my whole teaching experience. I work 50 to 60 hours a week on a regular basis just to keep my chin above water.

Advice to Management

Make the work load more feasible, because teachers cannot sustain it at the current level. Get rid of LEAP. Listen to teachers more often and give local schools more autonomy.

"Promotes Work/Life Balance"

Former Employee - Accountant in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Accountant in Denver, CO

I worked at Denver Public Schools (More than 5 years)

Pros

The district promotes Work/Life Balance

Cons

There are salary disparities with upper management.

5. "Paraprofessional"

I worked at Denver Public Schools part-time

Pros

You get to work with kids.

Cons

You have to work with teachers. Some teachers can be micromanager which is very annoying. DPS should develop a matching test to match paras with their teachers so they can get along and work better together.

Advice to Management

see above in cons.

6. "Teacher Review"

Current Employee - Teacher in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Teacher in Denver, CO

I have been working at Denver Public Schools (More than a year)

Pros

Work/ life balance better than other school districts I've worked for. Each school is different, but I'm given freedom in the curriculum and lessons I teach.

Cons

The teacher union claims to be working for the teachers and making our job easier, but it usually results in the district not being able to give us a clear answer to any specific questions because everything has to be run through the union.

7. "Floater"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I worked at Denver Public Schools (More than a year)

Pros

Loved to work with the children

Cons

Management was very insecure and immature

Advice to Management

grow up

8. "Great for an Education Organization"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I worked at Denver Public Schools full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

They are quite cutting edge in their technology for education and they are more like a corporation in reviewing employees and the central office structure.

Cons

That said, some business decisions regarding human resources don't make the best sense, such as training employees and then not driving their placement within the organization and retaining those employees who are committed to the DPS cause.

Advice to Management

It seems management is primarily educators who have worked their way up the ladder. Unfortunately, that doesn't enable those in top human resource positions to be on the cutting edge of HR best practices. Would also like to see them do a better job of supporting current employees instead of perpetuating employee turnover. Additionally, would like them to ensure consistency in promoting employees based on DPS educational programs, instead of letting those programs educate employees that lead for another district.

9. "DPS Television - Learning Launchpad"

Former Intern - Writer, Producer () in Denver, CO
    Former Intern - Writer, Producer () in Denver, CO

I worked at Denver Public Schools as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Small station with plenty of opportunities to train on different broadcast equipment. Opportunities to write, produce, technical direct or crew taped and live broadcast television content, which is not as readily available with internships in larger stations. Knowledgeable staff willing to mentor and teach. No advertising content relieves pressure and allows more flexibility for your learning experience.

Cons

Low-to-no budget for new projects. Smaller full-time staff leaves fewer professionals from which to learn. This is being really nit-picky.

Advice to Management

Keep being willing to allow interns to pursue the interest within the field most appealing to them. Maybe try to push some beyond floor-directing and crewing to try bigger jobs.

10. "ELA-S Elementary Teacher"

Former Employee - 5th Grade Teacher in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - 5th Grade Teacher in Denver, CO

I worked at Denver Public Schools full-time

Pros

Decent pay and clear expectations for teachers. DPS is doing a good job of recruiting and making teachers feel valued.

Cons

Little support for 1st year teachers, but this may have been a reflection of leadership at the campus level.

Advice to Management

More support for 1st year teachers.

11. "Bilingual Students Are Awesome"

Current Employee - ESL/Spanish Teacher in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - ESL/Spanish Teacher in Denver, CO

I have been working at Denver Public Schools full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Bilingual students are diverse and dedicated to learning. Vacation time is ample. Pay is decent outside of ProComp with experience and higher degrees. Good retirement through PERA if you remain until 55 and teach for 25-30 years. Summer school and/or enrichment teaching opportunities available. 10 sick days annually.

Cons

Teaching is micromanaged with LEAP observations, evaluations and administration. ProComp limits base pay and does not encourage earning higher degrees. Too much testing and focus on data. Health care for spouse/children is expensive.