Denver Public Schools Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Denver Public Schools Superintendent Tom Boasberg
Tom Boasberg

Pros
Cons
  • Also, if you value a work/life balance, being a teacher in DPS is not for you (in 6 reviews)

• Long hours, students usually come in with low reading levels (in 6 reviews)

1. "DPS has some strengths,and some areas where it can improve."

Current Employee - Paraprofessional in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Paraprofessional in Denver, CO

I have been working at Denver Public Schools part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Retirement pension seems fairly generous

Cons

Even though I have an MA in education, I am not being compensated for it (entry level hourly wage)

Advice to Management

If you'd like more highly qualified people in more areas, compensate folks that are "overqualified."

2. "ECE teacher"

Current Employee - ECE Teacher in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - ECE Teacher in Denver, CO

I have been working at Denver Public Schools full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

competitive pay, good benefits, procomp system

Cons

long hours, high expectations, ELA training within first 2 years

3. "Sr pm"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Pros

Mission and students, opportunity to make a difference

Cons

You might have a hard time being promoted if you font have the right connections

5. "Teacher"

Former Employee - Teaching in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Teaching in Denver, CO

I worked at Denver Public Schools full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I can't think of one.

Cons

Over worked, abused by students, administration, and other teachers (Verbal harrassment, gossip that was malicious and damaging to my career, etc.). Mostly, I just got sooooo tired of the unprofessionalism.

Advice to Management

Well, they fire many administrators who are excellent. The ones they kept seemed unimpressive to me. The humiliation and shaming need to stop. Overall, they get rid of their good veteran staff and bring in cheaper staff. Thyey can't handle any feedback that isn't positive. They want to hear that this is a stellar school district, but I have never dealt with so many issues in regards to human resources, payroll, etc. They are so disorganized. I work for a much better school district now. Haven't had one issue with payroll. I get treated with respect, and people are NICE where I work now. I would never go back to DPS. If I could I would put down negative stars for work/ life balance. I knew people who had to quit because their family members were sick and the "Administration" wouldn't give them time off.

6. "Secondary Math Teacher"

Current Employee - Secondary Math Teacher in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Secondary Math Teacher in Denver, CO

I have been working at Denver Public Schools full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

DPS has solid ideals and makes sincere attempts to implement them. They have provided me with steady, decently paid work, and my local work relationships and environment is positive for the most part.

Cons

DPS has its fair share of political craziness that clouds and confuses its mission of student's first. There are people in leadership positions that have no business being there, who make decisions based upon whose back to scratch just because they have the power to do so. The curricular decisions are based upon money, and not enough support is provided for implementation. The teacher evaluation system is highly flawed, and even though it is meant to be more objective and to protect teachers from poor principal leadership, it is still just as subjective as ever and fails in its target miserably. DPS has spent a ton of money toward it, however, and therefore it is likely to be around for the duration. This year has been the most stressful year of my whole teaching experience. I work 50 to 60 hours a week on a regular basis just to keep my chin above water.

Advice to Management

Make the work load more feasible, because teachers cannot sustain it at the current level. Get rid of LEAP. Listen to teachers more often and give local schools more autonomy.

"Promotes Work/Life Balance"

Former Employee - Accountant in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Accountant in Denver, CO

I worked at Denver Public Schools (More than 5 years)

Pros

The district promotes Work/Life Balance

Cons

There are salary disparities with upper management.

8. "Great for an Education Organization"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I worked at Denver Public Schools full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

They are quite cutting edge in their technology for education and they are more like a corporation in reviewing employees and the central office structure.

Cons

That said, some business decisions regarding human resources don't make the best sense, such as training employees and then not driving their placement within the organization and retaining those employees who are committed to the DPS cause.

Advice to Management

It seems management is primarily educators who have worked their way up the ladder. Unfortunately, that doesn't enable those in top human resource positions to be on the cutting edge of HR best practices. Would also like to see them do a better job of supporting current employees instead of perpetuating employee turnover. Additionally, would like them to ensure consistency in promoting employees based on DPS educational programs, instead of letting those programs educate employees that lead for another district.

9. "Paraprofessional"

I worked at Denver Public Schools part-time

Pros

You get to work with kids.

Cons

You have to work with teachers. Some teachers can be micromanager which is very annoying. DPS should develop a matching test to match paras with their teachers so they can get along and work better together.

Advice to Management

see above in cons.

10. "Teacher Review"

Current Employee - Teacher in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Teacher in Denver, CO

I have been working at Denver Public Schools (More than a year)

Pros

Work/ life balance better than other school districts I've worked for. Each school is different, but I'm given freedom in the curriculum and lessons I teach.

Cons

The teacher union claims to be working for the teachers and making our job easier, but it usually results in the district not being able to give us a clear answer to any specific questions because everything has to be run through the union.

11. "Bilingual Students Are Awesome"

Current Employee - ESL/Spanish Teacher in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - ESL/Spanish Teacher in Denver, CO

I have been working at Denver Public Schools full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Bilingual students are diverse and dedicated to learning. Vacation time is ample. Pay is decent outside of ProComp with experience and higher degrees. Good retirement through PERA if you remain until 55 and teach for 25-30 years. Summer school and/or enrichment teaching opportunities available. 10 sick days annually.

Cons

Teaching is micromanaged with LEAP observations, evaluations and administration. ProComp limits base pay and does not encourage earning higher degrees. Too much testing and focus on data. Health care for spouse/children is expensive.