Department for Work And Pensions Reviews | Glassdoor

Department for Work And Pensions Reviews

Updated April 20, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Flexi-time and alternate start times available (in 24 reviews)

• Flexible working hours great colleagues (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Absolutely shambolic senior management (in 13 reviews)

• Pay is least amongst other civil service departments (in 6 reviews)

1. "Varied, often stressful and some very useless managers"

Former Employee - Civil Service Executive Officer in Nottingham, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Civil Service Executive Officer in Nottingham, England (UK)

I worked at Department for Work And Pensions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Sense of satisfaction when helping people achieve their goals. I enjoyed working with my cohort of 18-24 year olds and found a lot of the face to face advising very rewarding.

Cons

I was a very good advisor and worked with a number of good advisors, but there were a number of lazy, work-shy staff as well. Staff who couldn't be bothered often got away with displaying appalling behaviour as management were either too scared to tackle the issues, or were their mates. This created a culture of resentment as it was clear that some people undertook a lot more work than others, with no more reward.
    There is very little opportunity for progression. I left the organisation as I had nowhere else to go within DWP.
    Lots of appalling district and senior managers who said and did very inappropriate things such as addressing a whole office meeting that anyone who was negative or struggling was 'not welcome' within the DWP and they would look to replace them. Managers often hid away from confrontation or difficulty. If customers displayed anger or asked to speak to a manager, I was often asked to either 'deal with it yourself' or 'pretend to the be the manager.'
    Bit of a 'jobs for the girls' environment at local level. All department managers were friends and although some did support their staff, some were rude and couldn't manage their own life, let a lone a team. One manager referred to her staff as her 'subordinates' and did not allow staff to speak to her directly. Pathetic.

Advice to Management

You have some very talented, enthusiastic and intelligent staff within your organisation, but you do not recognise and reward this. These staff become tired of being mis-treated and eventually become disillusioned. Perhaps some of the lazy, rude and ill-equipped staff were once bright and talented too, but have become jaded over time?

"Harrogate Job Centre A centre of mediocrity"

Former Employee - Civil Service Executive Officer in Harrogate, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Civil Service Executive Officer in Harrogate, England (UK)

I worked at Department for Work And Pensions full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Highly recommended if you are r good at fiddling statistics,flexi leave,sick leave and expenses.Integrity and hard work is not required.Focus is very much on reaching statistical targets and number crunching.Far less effort is put into acheiving the best result for the individual jobseeker.There is little scope for free thinking and innovation regarding working practices.There is little cohesion and consistency between the actions of lower management,with them interpreting staff rules and conditions as they deem fit for themselves.

Cons

If you wish to avoid organisations without integrity this place is not for you

Advice to Management

Needs a root and branch review to improve customer care qualities amongst staff

3. "Good work environment - limited development"

Former Employee - Customer Services Agent in Burnley, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Customer Services Agent in Burnley, England (UK)

I worked at Department for Work And Pensions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good working environment.
    Well managed.
    Flexi-time and alternate start times available.

Cons

Limited opportunities for professional development.

5. "So far so good"

I have been working at Department for Work And Pensions full-time

Pros

Just started with the company but looks like it has been rejuvenated and they are looking and making a big change with this sector. Hopefully exiting times ahead

Cons

Having to commute every day as I originally applied for the one in Manchester. Hopefully will get a transfer in the near future

6. "Avoid avoid avoid"

Current Employee - Work Coach EO in Nottingham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Work Coach EO in Nottingham, England (UK)

I have been working at Department for Work And Pensions part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Job satisfaction when sealing work for claimants
    Readily informing claimants of their true rights and responsibilities

Cons

Discrimination, bad management, brown nosing to get ahead yet never guaranteed, elitist attitude from management

Advice to Management

Get a grip. Too concerned with achieving your own end of year results at the expense of those you manage

7. "dwp phone monkey"

I worked at Department for Work And Pensions full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

they let you out at the end of the day

Cons

no hope of a pay increase ever

8. "Safe but nothing special"

Current Employee - Work Coach in Wolverhampton, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Work Coach in Wolverhampton, England (UK)

I have been working at Department for Work And Pensions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fair salary for the role, quite a safe position to be in due to good pension, very little redundancy etc.

Cons

Hard to progress and get promotion, management stance/ability is varied and can be difficult, quite bureaucratic - the favourites always get ahead

9. "Adviser"

Former Employee - Employment Coach in Scarborough, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Employment Coach in Scarborough, England (UK)

I worked at Department for Work And Pensions full-time

Pros

Support unemployed people who are disadvantaged in the work place

Cons

Can be stressful but rewarding

Advice to Management

no advice

10. "Worse place I have ever worked"

Former Employee - ESA NEW CLAIMS in Bristol, England (UK)
    Former Employee - ESA NEW CLAIMS in Bristol, England (UK)

I worked at Department for Work And Pensions part-time

Pros

The people are what makes the place.

Cons

Poorly managed. They pretend to want to know your opinions, but when you give them, they do nothing with the feedback. They do not invest in proper training, but when you get it wrong, they come down on you like a ton of bricks!

Advice to Management

Listen to your staff to make improvements. Train your staff properly.

11. "Work experience"

Pros

The people were friendly and helpful. The Job Centre Plus undertook a greater variety of work than I had aniticipated and, as an unemployed claimant, it was helpful to get an insight what goes on "behind the scenes". I did get to do some interesting tasks like designing a questionnaire. My observations of staff contact with claimants showed them to be professional, focused, respectful and positive and they handled challenging situations and people well.

Cons

The placement was hopelessly disorganised with many occasions when I had nothing to do as none of my supervisors was around and hadn't organised any tasks. Staff morale appeared to be low. To be fair, a lot of changes were being introduced so that may have had an impact but another person starting work experience had to ask me where the toilets were late on his first day so sometimes even the basics had not been covered. The computers were a constant frustration with access either impossible or achingly slow on some.

Advice to Management

Organise the work experience; discuss with the work experience person what they need and want to get out of the placement; make sure there is someone around to supervise and find sufficient tasks to perform.