Dermalogica Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
Dermalogica Chief Executive Officer Aurelian Lis
Aurelian Lis

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great perks such as facials each month and product allocation" (in 11 reviews)

• "There is a great work life balance in almost every department (maybe excluding finance)" (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "little to no opportunity for advancement or growth in the company" (in 3 reviews)

• "Some departments are a mess and have unrealistic expectations of their employees" (in 4 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Amazing and supportive company"

Current Employee - Coordinator in Carson, CA
    Current Employee - Coordinator in Carson, CA

I have been working at Dermalogica full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A lot of perks like monthly massages, after work fitness classes, discounts on medical insurance. The people are easy to work with and happy with their jobs. So many people have been there over 15 years which is a great sign to me.
    You are encouraged to take your vacation days. If you have an issue with something there are so many people who jump up to help.

Cons

I would say the entry level pay isn’t the best but there are opportunities to grow. Some of our systems are not the most efficient but I think there is a willingness to change that.

Advice to Management

Upper management is great. I feel respected and treated as an equal even though I’m entry level.

Oct 4, 2018 – Human Resources

Hi. Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. It's great to see you highlight a number of positives including our wellness events, medical insurance and most importantly, work/life... More

"Intern"

Former Employee - Intern - Hourly in Carson, CA
    Former Employee - Intern - Hourly in Carson, CA

I worked at Dermalogica (Less than a year)

Pros

Great overall experience. Awesome office and people are very nice. If you ask for help everyone is willing to help you.

Cons

I loved working here. Could not say anything bad about it.

Nov 29, 2018 – Human Resources

Hi. Thank you for your feedback. We are happy to hear that you had a great internship experience. We wish you all the best.

"Highly recommend this company!"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Carson, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Carson, CA

I have been working at Dermalogica full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Enjoy being part of a growing company with many opportunities. Lots of new positions have been created which keeps the work environment interesting. Good mix of tenured and new talent.

Cons

More team building activities would be phenomenal along with increased learning opportunities to provide our staff with career building tools.

Advice to Management

Our CEO keeps us informed on how we are doing and where we need to go! All staff members are included in our monthly Town Hall meetings which keep us motivated to work diligently towards our company goals.

May 3, 2018 – Human Resources

Hi. Thank you for your review. It's great to see you mention the growth that the company has experienced and the opportunities that come with growth. We will ensure that your comments around team... More

4. "Great people"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carson, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carson, CA

I have been working at Dermalogica full-time

Pros

Great people.
    Rarely find someone who has a bad attitude.
    STRONG CEO leadership.

Cons

Benefits need to be better (lower cost).
    More holidays/vacation time needed
    Seems that workload expectations are getting tougher and more unrealistic.

Advice to Management

Don't work your employees to death. Adhere to the same expectations you set for your employees (stick to deadlines, let them take time off, encourage them participate in the company sponsored activities)

Feb 7, 2018 – Human Resources

Hi. Thank you very much for taking the time to share your feedback. We understand that cost of benefits is important and will continue to work with our benefit consultants to obtain the best health... More

"Dynamic & Supportive Culture"

Current Employee - Marketing in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Dermalogica full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Great Brand & outstanding products
    - Innovative ("move fast and break things") culture
    - Excellent leadership (both long-standing employees and new leaders)
    - Trust in the next generation of leadership to manage strategic initiatives
    - Great professional development seminars and learning tools from parent company and sister brands
    - Career progression and opportunity for travel
    - People-first

Cons

As we are adjusting to a new way of working there is often cross over in roles and responsibilities, resulting in inefficiencies. I would expect that this would ease in time as projects become more clearly defined and departments are aligned.

Advice to Management

Continue to foster the innovative and supportive culture. During my tenure at Dermalogica I have experienced some personal hardship and the support and warmth from senior management was incredible. It is heartwarming to know that as a dedicated employee the business is committed to my well-being as much as I am to the brand’s continued success.

Nov 28, 2017 – Human Resources

Hi. Thank you for your review and feedback. It's great to see you mention a number positives regarding the company's direction. As we move forward, we will continue to address obstacles and... More

6. "National account retail associate"

Former Employee - National Account Retail Associate in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - National Account Retail Associate in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at Dermalogica part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love this company. They offer so much education and take really good care of you! They have great management and benefits for part time job

Cons

Only allow 24-30 hours. Sometimes job requires more for paper work and phone conferences. Company wants all your hours to reflect sales numbers not necessarily training.

Dec 5, 2017 – Human Resources

Hi. Thank you for your review. It's good to hear that you were able to participate in the educational opportunities offered by Dermalogica. We will share your feedback regarding the time necessary... More

"Not Recommended"

Former Employee - Operations in Carson, CA
    Former Employee - Operations in Carson, CA

I worked at Dermalogica full-time (More than a year)

Pros

free product, you're not expected to stay later than 5:30

Cons

Low morale, low wages, catty employees, not a lot of opportunity for advancement or raises, managers openly criticize employees appearance.

In my HR exit interview I was told it's a shame they aren't allowed to offer more salary-wise because they often lose talent to higher paying companies.

Advice to Management

stop being so stingy with the salaries

Dec 12, 2017 – Human Resources

Hi. Thank you for your review. We appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts and we'll ensure they are passed on to the management team.

"Overall, a great place to work!"

Current Employee - Manager in Carson, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Carson, CA

I have been working at Dermalogica full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

• My favorite benefits: free monthly product allocation and wholesale pricing on additional personal-use products, an extra free product a month at our monthly Townhall meetings (Corporate employees), annual fitness reimbursement, education reimbursement, 6 weeks of “gap pay” to make up the difference in pay while on maternity leave, 401k matching, fun events from the Social Committee like workout and meditation classes and free monthly massages. Of course we have all the medical, dental, FSA, etc. benefits expected of a company our size as well, and our medical carrier has a Teledoc option too, which is nice.
    • The current CEO keeps the entire company informed with what is going on globally with monthly Townhall meetings at Corporate that are also streamed for remote staff, and monthly summary emails from him.
    • Due to the Unilever purchase of our company, processes are being streamlined and it feels like we are more organized and “official” for lack of a better word, while still maintaining a good small-company feel too.
    • I have personally felt that my hard work is recognized and awarded accordingly. I feel good about my growth within the company – past and future.
    • Peer-to-Peer Recognition program. This is a newer program and I love the positivity. I would see it in quarterly periods though (instead of annually), and maybe with small awards like some other large companies do, like credits to buy things from a third party. When it’s annual, it’s hard to remember what I want to recognize several months later.
    • Another small thing I love is the corporate building – it’s always super clean and bright with natural light and it just -feels good- to be here.

Cons

Sometimes processes can be a little overzealous with guidelines that slow down the process or don’t seem to be customer/staff friendly – it has been like this as long as I have been here. Over the past year or so, this seems to be slowly changing, but with a company of this size, it cannot all happen overnight.

Advice to Management

• Would love to see middle management, company-provided seminars and/or brainstorming sessions. I would like to know what other managers here (and maybe even at our sister companies) are doing to develop their staff and maintain a great morale.
    • If we ever move to a larger building in the future, I would love to have an on-site day care option

9. "Growth Mind-set"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Dermalogica full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

There have been significant changes with the Unilever Prestige acquisition since 2015. It is all about growth by being clever through innovation and best practices while building upon the rich history and DNA of the organization. Elevated expectations and growth goals have sharpened the culture for the better. This is going to be a fun and challenging journey.

Cons

Previous successes through the years have instilled in some of the tenured employees a sense of doing things in absolute ways rather than adapting nimble and agile views and methodologies moving forward.

Advice to Management

Continue to tear down walls and establish better communication and collaboration between business units. Accountability is a good thing. Got to also love meritocracy!

"Business Model has changed"

Former Employee - Business Consultant in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Business Consultant in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Dermalogica full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Looked forward to working for what I now know is a "once was" best in the industry.

Cons

New ownership cares about numbers. Want 20% year over year growth. Management states "Unilever wants their ROI." New products every month sometimes two makes it hard to roll out and get buy in from accounts. Unrealistic expectations

Advice to Management

We remember that small businesses grew that company for 20 years. Made a name for Dermalogica. Catering to Ulta, SalonCentric and retail locations means its no longer a Professionals Only product line but just like every other grocery store line. You've lost your exclusivity.