Dermalogica Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
Aurelian Lis

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • no accountability for upper management (in 8 reviews)

• Pay is too low for what is expected of outside sales team (in 7 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Overall, a great place to work!"

Current Employee - Manager in Carson, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Carson, CA

I have been working at Dermalogica full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

• My favorite benefits: free monthly product allocation and wholesale pricing on additional personal-use products, an extra free product a month at our monthly Townhall meetings (Corporate employees), annual fitness reimbursement, education reimbursement, 6 weeks of “gap pay” to make up the difference in pay while on maternity leave, 401k matching, fun events from the Social Committee like workout and meditation classes and free monthly massages. Of course we have all the medical, dental, FSA, etc. benefits expected of a company our size as well, and our medical carrier has a Teledoc option too, which is nice.
    • The current CEO keeps the entire company informed with what is going on globally with monthly Townhall meetings at Corporate that are also streamed for remote staff, and monthly summary emails from him.
    • Due to the Unilever purchase of our company, processes are being streamlined and it feels like we are more organized and “official” for lack of a better word, while still maintaining a good small-company feel too.
    • I have personally felt that my hard work is recognized and awarded accordingly. I feel good about my growth within the company – past and future.
    • Peer-to-Peer Recognition program. This is a newer program and I love the positivity. I would see it in quarterly periods though (instead of annually), and maybe with small awards like some other large companies do, like credits to buy things from a third party. When it’s annual, it’s hard to remember what I want to recognize several months later.
    • Another small thing I love is the corporate building – it’s always super clean and bright with natural light and it just -feels good- to be here.

Cons

Sometimes processes can be a little overzealous with guidelines that slow down the process or don’t seem to be customer/staff friendly – it has been like this as long as I have been here. Over the past year or so, this seems to be slowly changing, but with a company of this size, it cannot all happen overnight.

Advice to Management

• Would love to see middle management, company-provided seminars and/or brainstorming sessions. I would like to know what other managers here (and maybe even at our sister companies) are doing to develop their staff and maintain a great morale.
    • If we ever move to a larger building in the future, I would love to have an on-site day care option

2. "Growth Mind-set"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Dermalogica full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

There have been significant changes with the Unilever Prestige acquisition since 2015. It is all about growth by being clever through innovation and best practices while building upon the rich history and DNA of the organization. Elevated expectations and growth goals have sharpened the culture for the better. This is going to be a fun and challenging journey.

Cons

Previous successes through the years have instilled in some of the tenured employees a sense of doing things in absolute ways rather than adapting nimble and agile views and methodologies moving forward.

Advice to Management

Continue to tear down walls and establish better communication and collaboration between business units. Accountability is a good thing. Got to also love meritocracy!

3. "Retail Associate"

Pros

Company really builds their people

Cons

Milage should be offered to part time

Advice to Management

Keep up the amazing job

4. "Derm Tribe"

I worked at Dermalogica full-time

Pros

product discount , benefits, fellow employees

Cons

certain departments lack career opportunities

"Business Model has changed"

Former Employee - Business Consultant in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Business Consultant in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Dermalogica full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Looked forward to working for what I now know is a "once was" best in the industry.

Cons

New ownership cares about numbers. Want 20% year over year growth. Management states "Unilever wants their ROI." New products every month sometimes two makes it hard to roll out and get buy in from accounts. Unrealistic expectations

Advice to Management

We remember that small businesses grew that company for 20 years. Made a name for Dermalogica. Catering to Ulta, SalonCentric and retail locations means its no longer a Professionals Only product line but just like every other grocery store line. You've lost your exclusivity.

6. "Nope"

I worked at Dermalogica part-time

Pros

Comp product, great regional mgr

Cons

No care of the numerous miles i was driving ( area i worked was some drives of over a HOUR!). No $ for moles, gas, nothing. Sad.

Advice to Management

Be kind and respectful of your employees

7. "Great place to work"

I worked at Dermalogica full-time

Pros

Great bonus opportunity
    Great Benefits
    Management is superior
    Great access to great product

Cons

Have to work on Saturdays

8. "Stagnant"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Free monthly product. Lots of parking, lunch on site, nice facility. Casual attire . Cubicles, local, friendly people, free coffee,

Cons

Micro management. Lack of pay. No room for advacement, same lunch menu, expectations are unreal, slave ship vibe, doesnt pay well

Advice to Management

Trust your employees more & pay what they are worth!

"LIES and GREED"

Current Employee - Business Consultant
    Current Employee - Business Consultant

I have been working at Dermalogica full-time

Pros

There are almost no pros anymore working for this organization besides 401K and a company car.

Cons

In February 2017 the sales team was informed of a new partnership with the Salon Centric professional beauty store chain, after two months of rumors but no explanation. The message was that the brand was being "tested" in one store in CA and quickly became two. The uproar in the room was significant and the concern from the team was settled with a message that NO SALON CENTRIC Sales Representatives (aka street people) would have the ability to represent or sell Dermalogica in any way.

Fast forward to March 23, 2017 a corporate letter from US General Manager is sent out to all Dermalogica accounts and the team explaining the new partnership but NOW almost every store would carry the brand by Monday March 27th. It's quite astounding that a large brand as Dermalogica could roll-out a launch of this size in over 500 stores so quickly after the February announcement. It is clear this was already a done deal and there was no transparency to the sales team. Again, NO mention of any sales directly from Salon Centric sales reps, ONLY through their bricks and mortar stores and online.

Now in early April Salon Centric store managers, sales representatives and upper management are soliciting Dermalogica accounts for business and offering the support of a Salon Centric sales rep to now sell the brand in upcoming months. This is happening in many parts of the country and as this industry is small and very connected, there are many Dermalogica employees feeling betrayed, lied to and completely unmotivated to give any more of themselves to this brand.

It is clear that greed for more revenue is a factor here-why not have hundreds of "Street Reps" selling your brand from their bags of tricks than the 70+ dedicated Consultants you pay salaries to?! This will be the end of this once respected, professionally recommended brand. Welcome to the world of mass market retail.

The excuse that the Professional Skin Therapist market is declining is unacceptable. Dermalogica created that monster when they sold into big box chain stores years ago and the many other national accounts they have given all their attention to. What did you think would happen to the mom and pop salons and spas? They simply cannot compete. A vicious cycle they have created and now a web of lies.

I have to wonder if the founders feel this still empowers women? 90% of the Dermalogica sales team are women. I guess we don't matter anymore.

Advice to Management

Tell the truth. This is one of the first lessons we learn in life.

"The company offers great benefits"

I worked at Dermalogica full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company offers great benefits

Cons

The salaries are very low